"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• edited September 2017 Posts: 17,414
    The Germans are playing incredible football right now.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,881
    England need to get Vardy on this is looking bleak, England could easily come unstuck in this group, if they lose this four teams could be in it to qualify

1 - 1 wipes brow
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 17,414
    Germany up to 4-0 now (Werner again!). They are so, so good.

5-0. Goretzka. This is pure class. Hopefully Norway can get a chance or two...
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Northern Ireland 2 up. Stays like this, nothing silly, and it's guaranteed 2nd spot behind Germany. Not bad at all.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Get in Rashford 2 - 1 have to say shock horror second half England have played some decent football
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Get in Rashford 2 - 1 have to say shock horror second half England have played some decent football

Easy son. Still time for Joe to throw one in yet.
    How old do you think I am lol Ali and Rashford have linked up well, a glimmer of hope for England going forward
    Northern Ireland 2 up. Stays like this, nothing silly, and it's guaranteed 2nd spot behind Germany. Not bad at all.

Actually, beat Germany and go top. Why not?
    And Gomez makes it 6-0. Incredible performance.

You sound like you're having a whale of a time. Who knew watching your team getting raped by the Germans was so enjoyable.

You sound like you're having a whale of a time. Who knew watching your team getting raped by the Germans was so enjoyable.

You have to enjoy the quality of the way Germany play tonight, even if you're Norwegian. If Norway could manage a solid performance, I'd be happy with that, but it was obvious early on that this was not going to be that kind of match.
  • RC7RC7
    Great strike from Rashford.

You have to enjoy the quality of the way Germany play tonight, even if you're Norwegian. If Norway could manage a solid performance, I'd be happy with that, but it was obvious early on that this was not going to be that kind of match.

No, no. Football is only about appreciating or mourning the score sheet of your favorite team. If not you are a laughable glory hunter or a delusional Pep disciple. Appreciating quality football is not what we do in England...
    England have a long way to go if they are to challenge at major tournaments. With the FA being stiff in the way coaches are taught, which filters down to how the national team is coached, it'll be a long way away. Big changes needed. Southgate seems to be an FA yes man.

Watching an England game always seems to very familiar, never any excitement, always pedestrian and boring to watch. Even the atmosphere was dull. Now, compare that to the game at Windsor Park and see the difference. A great game of football, hard work, dedication from the Northern Irish team and a wonderful atmosphere.

I know which game I'd rather watch.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    The English game is supposed to be about fast pace, closing down, quick passes, reasonably direct, attacking football.
    Then the white shirts are pulled on it becomes about misplaced passes, sideways and backwards passing, centre halves who look scared to have the ball at their feet, centre forwards who see which of them can kick the ball furthest into the stands.

Hoping that in Deli Alli we may have someone who can inspire some free flowing, attacking football.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    jobo wrote: »

No, no. Football is only about appreciating or mourning the score sheet of your favorite team. If not you are a laughable glory hunter or a delusional Pep disciple. Appreciating quality football is not what we do in England...

You're joking, right?
    GoldenGun wrote: »

You're joking, right?

Duh...
    Thank heaven for that ;)
    edited September 2017 Posts: 9,117
    I suppose, given the highlight of Norwegian World Cup history is beating England (brief 90s dalliance with averageness aside) and then giving it large to Nelson and Maggie, that watching the World Cup and actually caring who wins is a non starter.

But applauding the Germans as they dismantle your team is particularly masochistic for anyone who has any aspiration to be better than the likes of San Marino.
    I recall that disallowed goal of Lampards against the Germans. No one made much of it in the end because the Germans outplayed England with such total conviction and ruthlessness that the 'goal' really didn't seem to make much difference to the outcome. It may have inspired England to greater things in the second half, but I doubt it.

That day I was happy to admit the Germans had found a way forward after a dodgy period, and today we are still floundering around on the outskirts talking about 1966 as if any of us actually remember it.
    Even so,i was fuming when that happened.

The amount of depth into the goal was immense,and ALL the officials missed it ?!
    barryt007 wrote: »

The amount of depth into the goal was immense,and ALL the officials missed it ?!

Even the ref at half time apparently watched it back and said 'Oh.My. God' . I'm sure he saw a disciplinary panel looming
    NicNac wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »

Even the ref at half time apparently watched it back and said 'Oh.My. God' . I'm sure he saw a disciplinary panel looming

Nah he would have been fine as it was against England. Had France been on the receiving end he might have faced FIFA's wrath though.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 6,831
    I suppose, given the highlight of Norwegian World Cup history is beating England (brief 90s dalliance with averageness aside) and then giving it large to Nelson and Maggie, that watching the World Cup and actually caring who wins is a non starter.

But applauding the Germans as they dismantle your team is particularly masochistic for anyone who has any aspiration to be better than the likes of San Marino.

I think the highlight of Norwegian World Cup history must be defeating holders Brazil at the Coupe du Monde in 1998 with a last minute penalty by Kjetil Rekdal seeing them reach the knockout phase.

Nevertheless, you do make a reasonable point but if you happen to like the sport in its most beautiful form you can always appreciate good football, even if it's not from your favourite team.

I think the highlight of Norwegian World Cup history must be defeating holders Brazil in 1998 with a last minute penalty by Kjetil Rekdal.

I did kind of cover myself there with the '90s' comment - they qualified for two World Cups in a row (one at our expense to give them extra joy even if they were up against the 2nd worst England team of all time in 94 qualifying) and after stinking USA 94 out with England-under-Hodgson levels of turgidness they did indeed sneak a win off Brazil to get out of their group.

But the bottom line for scholars of the game (and indeed for people who prefer entertainment over their team winning) is that Norway's most memorable contribution to World Cup history is Bjørge Lillelien's epic commentary.

I think the highlight of Norwegian World Cup history must be defeating holders Brazil in 1998 with a last minute penalty by Kjetil Rekdal.

I did kind of cover myself there with the '90s' comment - they qualified for two World Cups in a row (one at our expense to give them extra joy even if they were up against the 2nd worst England team of all time in 94 qualifying) and after stinking USA 94 out with England-under-Hodgson levels of turgidness they did indeed sneak a win off Brazil to get out of their group.

But the bottom line for scholars of the game (and indeed for people who prefer entertainment over their team winning) is that Norway's most memorable contribution to World Cup history is Bjørge Lillelien's epic commentary.

Was that the one with the summing-up of all kinds of English celebraties ending with Maggie?

I do hope they can some day find their way back to a WC or EC.

Should be possible, Belgium was absent for every tournament for 12 years and we came back too.

I think the highlight of Norwegian World Cup history must be defeating holders Brazil at the Coupe du Monde in 1998 with a last minute penalty by Kjetil Rekdal seeing them reach the knockout phase.

Nevertheless, you do make a reasonable point but if you happen to like the sport in its most beautiful form you can always appreciate good football, even if it's not from your favourite team.

That is indeed true.

We beat England ones? I didn't know. Nobody remembers that...

That is indeed true.

We beat England ones? I didn't know. Nobody remembers that...

We murdered all who mentioned it...managed to silence most of them he he .

edited September 2017 Posts: 9,117

Genius.
  • MancAliceMancAlice Manchester
    Manchester United and England fan here, any other reds around?!