No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Not to mention their behavioral outcomes circulating around snobbery and opinionated mannerism that wants me to look out for a barf bag. This thread has become one giant mess in the most depressing way it doesn't even resemble the topic it was made for any longer.
    I think it hasn't become a giant mess. But when there is no relevant news, obviously this topic dwarfs into obscurity as well and turns into a carbon copy of the "Chat Thread - Free Discussion"-topic. It's the nature of this topic I fear. Obviously that changes when there's real Bond news again :-). In the meanwhile, perhaps we should let the good old adage "patience is a virtue" prevail a bit more often....me included. We have become so dependent on the internet these days....so perhaps we should learn to leave it alone every now and then...and go hiking in the countryside hehe :-D.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    ...so perhaps we should learn to leave it alone every now and then...and go hiking in the countryside hehe :-D.

Good idea. Let's hope some here follow your example.
    ...so perhaps we should learn to leave it alone every now and then...and go hiking in the countryside hehe :-D.

Good idea. Let's hope some here follow your example.

Hiking in your country is especially cool :-).
    bondjames wrote: »
    Those are all excellent tracks @Gustav_Graves. You're right, I do like the Gold one in particular. Atmosphere is indeed the right word. That's precisely what Barry brought to a scene and I hardly (if ever) get that in an Arnold score (perhaps occasionally in CR/QoS at the Opera in particular).

Regarding Pemberton in general: he's very talented and can definitely compose memorable melodies. As I've mentioned previously though, I find he tends to overshadow the scenes with his sounds in the films which he composes for. Also, I detect an element of repetition in his compositions. If he could just tone it down a little & provide a bit more variation within a certain track to mirror how a particular film scene develops I think he could be an excellent choice. Certainly better than Arnold for me.

@bondjames The track (and by the way the entire score) of "Mal De Pierres" (2016, Daniel Pemberton) reminds me a lot of the more romantic work from John Barry, like his Oscar winning score for "Out Of Africa". I truly adore it:
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    edited August 2017 Posts: 7,567
    David Arnold is not good enough and has no work but Newman's scores are so wonderful...
    :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

bondjames wrote: »
    Guys and gals, it is really necessary to target specific users?

Surely we can discuss a position without going there.

Some people get away with it regularly obviously because they are so loooong standing members and have the right opinion about Craig.

If you have an issue with how some members are treated favourably, ahead of others, then please feel free to drop me a PM and I will see what we can do to improve the situation.

The constant bickering is one thing, but if it clogs up a thread like this then it will start to be removed again, and warnings will be dished out.
    So, Bond 25 ...
    NicNac wrote: »
    Well, the constant bickering is one thing, but if it clogs up a thread like this then it will start to be removed again, and warnings will be dished out.

Good job NicNac .

PAY-Britt-Eklund-Herve-Villechaize-as-Nick-Nack-and-Maud-Adams-in-James-Bond-The-Man-with-the-Golden-Gun-1974.jpg
    Especially tracks like 'Backseat Driver' and 'Come In 007 Your Time Is Up'. It's music that gets right into your ears and don't let go of it.
    LOL. Of course they "get right into your ears and don't let go of it", both tracks are simply remixes of the Bond theme! And pretty messy remixes at that.
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    So it's official part of bond 25 to be shot in Croatia?
    No.

I thought the mayor confirmed it

He did but EON didn't. So it's not official yet.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 1,162
    I'm not advocating another FRWL or TND with the Bond theme blaring every few seconds but I do wish Craig would get a Bond theme moment, with it playing in full force during an action scene. Every Bond should have one imo. My favourites are the TWINE bankers office escape and the Piz Gloria battle.
    CrzChris4 wrote: »
    I think Arnold absolutely hit his stride with QOS. There isn't a track in either of Newman's efforts that comes close to some of my favorite tracks, "What's Keeping You Awake?", "I Never Left", "Time To Get Out".

"Los Muertos Vivos Estan" was a great SP track and completely made the opening moment of the film. Wished there was more on the actual soundtrack like it.

My favourite tracks from the SP soundtrack are:

01 - The Gunbarrel Entrance *made it myself*
    01 - Los Muertos Vivos Estan
    02 - Main Titles - Sam Smith - Writing's On The Wall
    04 - The Eternal City *lovely choir*
    07 - Backfire *great action piece*
    10 - Madeleine's Theme *top notch John Barry sound, reminiscent of Ms Octopussy*
    12 - Snow Plane *now THIS is my favourite! Always listen it when I need to work a bit harder*
    15 - Hinx
    16 - Writing's On The Wall - Instrumental
    17 - Silver Wraith *mysterious, scary, vulptuous, brought me back to Doctor No, makes you realize why Madeleine was actually scary, and Honey Rider too!*
    21 - Safe House *marvellous original track, has the lovely little cuckoo piano accords in it*
    27 - James Bond end theme *which basically for every of Craig's film is slightly different, with different instrumentation

Personally, I love the subtlety of Newman's score. Yeah I know, most Bond fans want to have all typical aspects of the Bond franchise chewn out for you, like a cheap but sweet wine. I prefer a subtle gran reserva, with more notes and tannines once you listen to it more often.

I like how you actually had a go at someone a few pages back for being a harsh wannabe critic presenting his opinion as fact (when really he was being perfectly fair and balanced) and then here you condescendingly passive aggressively say "everyone who disagrees with me is a moron". You really don't have any self awareness at all do you. Stop acting so smug and superior.

You are merely agitated and irritated.....based on.......well, not much really. I have not used any wordings or vocabulary one could directly accuse me of being....well, "smug and superior". Nor did I call names or offended someone directly.

So I feel a bit sorry for you that you let my personal opinion and short review about the tracks I love for SP, and which by no means are offending to anyone, be an incentive for even more negative whining and blabla about "superior and smug". Sad really.

Really? What part of "most Bond fans want to have all typical aspects of the Bond franchise chewn out for you, like a cheap but sweet wine. I prefer a subtle gran reserva, with more notes and tannines once you listen to it more often." isn't acting all smug and superior? You're painting anyone who disagrees with you on Newman as morons who will eat up any old shit that can't appreciate his subtle genius. That's the offending part, it's smug, bitchy and completely unnecessary and you knew exactly what you were doing when you wrote it. You could have easily talked about how you loved the tracks without adding that bit about how most Bond fans just want a cheap pastiche and can't appreciate this subtlety, but you can (what part of that is not acting like you're superior?).

I don't care about you loving those tracks, glad you enjoy them. Notice how @bondjames has been positive about Newman/critical of Arnold and I didn't care at all because he got that across without being patronising and demeaning to those who disagree with him. I'm not whining because you were positive about SP (a film I love). It's your attitude/how you express your opinions that rubs me the wrong way and it isn't exclusive to this post either.

Ooowh dear, don't take it all so seriously. And don't take it so personal either. Sometimes personal opinions are hard to swallow. I know that myself. But for me, I just love the subtlety of Thomas Newman's score. I have grown accustomed to his music, and I started to really like it. Hence I made the comparison with a good wine. We all know that on several occasions the Bond theme has been used in an overblown way, almost like a pastiche of itself. It also depends on my mood. I can really like David Arnold. Especially tracks like 'Backseat Driver' and 'Come In 007 Your Time Is Up'. It's music that gets right into your ears and don't let go of it. That's because of the melodic simplicity of these action cueues. But what Thomas Newman does is composing music that is less simple, isn't bluntly presented on your favourite plate, and needs more listening attempts to truly appreciate it. That fact for me is musical beauty as well. But it seems to me that many Bond fans do not appreciate that kind of music. Hence the.....'love' for David Arnold.

Do I sound vulgar, arrogant, smug now? I don't think so. It's my personal opinion. But please take into account that it isn't meant to insult people with it. Within the Bond fan community there are minorities and majorities too; majorities for elements we love, but also minorities, like my appreciation of Thomas Newman. We have to understand that a bit more often I think. Counts for me as well! So no hard feelings @thelivingroyale, you little smug bastard ;-) *joke*

@thelivingroyale pointed out quiet articulate and precise what in your post is perceived as arrogant and smug and all you do is explaining him not to take himself too seriously without even mentioning even a single one his arguments. I guess that might be because the only thing in Gustavworld ( to borrow a term that to the best of my knowledge was coined by @TheWizardOfIce ) that's really serious is Gustav. But outside of Gustavworld people that hold your rational, taste and talent in that high regard are far and few between I'm afraid.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 1,162
    Zekidk wrote: »
    a man by the way who isn't even active/productive anymore in Hollywood,
    Well said, @Gustav_Graves! If Arnold is such a great composer, why hasn't he worked on anything siginificant since QOS?.
    He has. He has been busy the last seven years doing 'Sherlock'

Whose title theme is nothing less than brilliant. At least it has that elevating and uplifting quality which is so hard to achieve by a composer. Actually the ability to apply these special moments actually is one of my yardsticks to determine talent. Newman possesses none of that ability. At least he showed it in non of the scores I have heard from him. And Barry? His only problem probably was to control the outbursts of his creative volcano.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 4,619

I'm afraid your ideas of brilliance are frightening close to my ideas of boring. Make that very boring.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 4,619
    @noSolaceleft These two minutes by Newman are MILES above ANYTHING Arnold will EVER do: https://youtube.com/watch?v=-FlI3EBbSUc
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited August 2017 Posts: 10,586
    Can we get back on topic?
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Indeed.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 11,119
    I'm not advocating another FRWL or TND with the Bond theme blaring every few seconds but I do wish Craig would get a Bond theme moment, with it playing in full force during an action scene. Every Bond should have one imo. My favourites are the TWINE bankers office escape and the Piz Gloria battle.
    CrzChris4 wrote: »
    I think Arnold absolutely hit his stride with QOS. There isn't a track in either of Newman's efforts that comes close to some of my favorite tracks, "What's Keeping You Awake?", "I Never Left", "Time To Get Out".

"Los Muertos Vivos Estan" was a great SP track and completely made the opening moment of the film. Wished there was more on the actual soundtrack like it.

My favourite tracks from the SP soundtrack are:

01 - The Gunbarrel Entrance *made it myself*
    01 - Los Muertos Vivos Estan
    02 - Main Titles - Sam Smith - Writing's On The Wall
    04 - The Eternal City *lovely choir*
    07 - Backfire *great action piece*
    10 - Madeleine's Theme *top notch John Barry sound, reminiscent of Ms Octopussy*
    12 - Snow Plane *now THIS is my favourite! Always listen it when I need to work a bit harder*
    15 - Hinx
    16 - Writing's On The Wall - Instrumental
    17 - Silver Wraith *mysterious, scary, vulptuous, brought me back to Doctor No, makes you realize why Madeleine was actually scary, and Honey Rider too!*
    21 - Safe House *marvellous original track, has the lovely little cuckoo piano accords in it*
    27 - James Bond end theme *which basically for every of Craig's film is slightly different, with different instrumentation

Personally, I love the subtlety of Newman's score. Yeah I know, most Bond fans want to have all typical aspects of the Bond franchise chewn out for you, like a cheap but sweet wine. I prefer a subtle gran reserva, with more notes and tannines once you listen to it more often.

I like how you actually had a go at someone a few pages back for being a harsh wannabe critic presenting his opinion as fact (when really he was being perfectly fair and balanced) and then here you condescendingly passive aggressively say "everyone who disagrees with me is a moron". You really don't have any self awareness at all do you. Stop acting so smug and superior.

You are merely agitated and irritated.....based on.......well, not much really. I have not used any wordings or vocabulary one could directly accuse me of being....well, "smug and superior". Nor did I call names or offended someone directly.

So I feel a bit sorry for you that you let my personal opinion and short review about the tracks I love for SP, and which by no means are offending to anyone, be an incentive for even more negative whining and blabla about "superior and smug". Sad really.

Really? What part of "most Bond fans want to have all typical aspects of the Bond franchise chewn out for you, like a cheap but sweet wine. I prefer a subtle gran reserva, with more notes and tannines once you listen to it more often." isn't acting all smug and superior? You're painting anyone who disagrees with you on Newman as morons who will eat up any old shit that can't appreciate his subtle genius. That's the offending part, it's smug, bitchy and completely unnecessary and you knew exactly what you were doing when you wrote it. You could have easily talked about how you loved the tracks without adding that bit about how most Bond fans just want a cheap pastiche and can't appreciate this subtlety, but you can (what part of that is not acting like you're superior?).

I don't care about you loving those tracks, glad you enjoy them. Notice how @bondjames has been positive about Newman/critical of Arnold and I didn't care at all because he got that across without being patronising and demeaning to those who disagree with him. I'm not whining because you were positive about SP (a film I love). It's your attitude/how you express your opinions that rubs me the wrong way and it isn't exclusive to this post either.

Ooowh dear, don't take it all so seriously. And don't take it so personal either. Sometimes personal opinions are hard to swallow. I know that myself. But for me, I just love the subtlety of Thomas Newman's score. I have grown accustomed to his music, and I started to really like it. Hence I made the comparison with a good wine. We all know that on several occasions the Bond theme has been used in an overblown way, almost like a pastiche of itself. It also depends on my mood. I can really like David Arnold. Especially tracks like 'Backseat Driver' and 'Come In 007 Your Time Is Up'. It's music that gets right into your ears and don't let go of it. That's because of the melodic simplicity of these action cueues. But what Thomas Newman does is composing music that is less simple, isn't bluntly presented on your favourite plate, and needs more listening attempts to truly appreciate it. That fact for me is musical beauty as well. But it seems to me that many Bond fans do not appreciate that kind of music. Hence the.....'love' for David Arnold.

Do I sound vulgar, arrogant, smug now? I don't think so. It's my personal opinion. But please take into account that it isn't meant to insult people with it. Within the Bond fan community there are minorities and majorities too; majorities for elements we love, but also minorities, like my appreciation of Thomas Newman. We have to understand that a bit more often I think. Counts for me as well! So no hard feelings @thelivingroyale, you little smug bastard ;-) *joke*

@thelivingroyale pointed out quiet articulate and precise what in your post is perceived as arrogant and smug and all you do is explaining him not to take himself too seriously without even mentioning even a single one his arguments. I guess that might be because the only thing in Gustavworld ( to borrow a term that to the best of my knowledge was coined by @TheWizardOfIce ) that's really serious is Gustav. But outside of Gustavworld people that hold your rational, taste and talent in that high regard are far and few between I'm afraid.

@thelivingroyale can speak perfectly for himself. No need to interfer :-). Welcome to the forum by the way @noSolaceleft. Let's hope we get some real Bond news soon....
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender

A Brilliant Masterpiece:

Mediocre Fluff:
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    I wonder what kind of cameo Michael g Wilson will make in Bond 25
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Hopefully it's slightly more noticeable than it was in the last two.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 5,185

If at all, maybe he passed the baton over to Gregg Wilson now.
    Or they might do another one together as in Spectre
    Heads-up: Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool will premiere this weekend at the Telluride Film Festival. Not sure if Barbara Broccoli is attending or not.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Heads-up: Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool will premiere this weekend at the Telluride Film Festival. Not sure if Barbara Broccoli is attending or not.
    I'm happy for Babs that she's spreading her wings, but quite frankly I couldn't give a toss about her non-Bond efforts. Bond is my interest, & not EON.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Cheers for that. As she's the producer I'm sure she will be, and I'm also sure the press will be crawling all over her with Bond questions.

In the meantime, here's the rundown for August:

August 2017
    ->Katheryn Bigelow reveals that she has been offered a Bond film in the past (as well as numerous other large-budget franchise titles) but turned them down, preferring to continue on the path of smaller, journalistic genre films
    ->ArtsATL claims B25 is "planning to shoot at Pinewood Atlanta Studios," although an editor's note later added explains these plans as unsubstantiated
    ->Craig is said to still be attached to Purity according to David Nevins, CEO of Showtime, although production may not commence on the mini-series until 2019 as he's "doing Bond first"
    ->Sony Pictures announce their upcoming releases for 2018 and 2019, from which B25 is absent. This all but officially confirms Sony's departure from the series
    ->Stuntmen Gary Powell and Martin Ivanov visit Budapest for reasons unclear; rumors start that they are location scouting (page 932)
    ->While promoting Logan Lucky, Craig states on numerous radio shows that he has not signed up for another (or two) Bond films and that personal decisions (rather than pay demands as rumored in the press) are being made. "I know that they are desperate to get going. I would, in theory, love to do it... But no decisions just yet."
    ->Daniel Craig officially confirms his return as James Bond in Bond 25, with 2019 set to be his last performance in the role
    ->"It's been a couple of months. [...] This is it. I just want to go out on a high note. I can't wait."
    ->Industry insiders claim that B25 (pre) production is to officially kick-off in May 2018; principle photography likely to commence 5-6 months after
    ->The "Juicy James Bond" Tumblr blog publishes a list of B25 rumors, notably EON's supposed promise of a Logan-esque send-off for Craig's Bond and an action-light approach
    ->The CEO of the Dartz car company claims their "Black Alligator" model is set to feature in B25

Creasy47 wrote: »

Did you notice the cameo's of his son also @Creasy47 ;-)? Gregg Wilson
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

I did! Though I doubt I would've recognized it as a cameo if someone hadn't told me. In fact, didn't we all know of the cameo before the film's release? Pretty sure it was one of the clips they had unveiled online.

I did! Though I doubt I would've recognized it as a cameo if someone hadn't told me. In fact, didn't we all know of the cameo before the film's release? Pretty sure it was one of the clips they had unveiled online.

True, but there comes a time when he really takes over from Michael no? Let's not forget Michael himself is already 75. And during filming of SP he had some serious health issues.

True, but there comes a time when he really takes over from Michael no? Let's not forget Michael himself is already 75. And during filming of SP he had some serious health issues.
    Wilson had a triple bypass surgery shortly before filming began, and spent a large portion of the shoot in recovery. But he looks to be in good shape these days.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    Does anyone think the announcement we are looking for could come from the Daily Mail and Baz in Fridays edition??