Game of Thrones (2011 - 19)

Comments

Creasy47 wrote: »
    That's the best thing to do, for sure.

I do find an odd divide amongst the development, though. Last episode, it had seemed Littlefinger played Arya and Sansa and pitted them against one another expertly, but in this, they magically saw through his lies with no interactions regarding it and executed him? Just seemed like an odd development to me.

I just think that they saw through him a while ago individually,and once he committed to pushing Sansa to kill Arya they had him.

And humiliated him in front of the army officers that hated him before killing him.

Basically 2 can play that game.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    If so, that makes their previous conversation (when Sansa finds the bag of faces) even more odd. Just seems weird for them to speak so cryptically in a room all by themselves, but oh well.

I just love getting to see a side of characters we've yet to catch. Bran calling him out on his bullshit (about betraying Ned/putting the knife to his throat/organizing Jon Arryn's death from the get go) was great.
    I think you hit the nail on the head there with the word 'cryptic'.

Littlefinger is everywhere,especially good at it,so im not surprised they talked that way within the walls of Winterfell.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I love the way Bran called out littlefinger in such an innocent and child-like way, like an honest knee-jerk correction of whatever bs lf was trying to worm his way out of.

As for the Dani and John relationship, I think their romance is fine and very believable. There was an instant attraction between the two from the off and John's qualities as a person/man is something many women desire. He's not some simp, or a self-promoting arrogant show off. He's wise beyond his years, strives to do the right thing to his own personal detriment at times, will challenge Dany as and where needed, honest (this is critical for womenfolk) courageous and a fearless warrior and in Dany's eyes he's great with her "kids". The stories she's heard about him, what she's seen him do and the conversations they've had.....over a period of many months easily sells their relationship.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I love the way Bran called out littlefinger in such an innocent and child-like way, like an honest knee-jerk correction of whatever bs lf was trying to worm his way out of.

As for the Dani and John relationship, I think their romance is fine and very believable. There was an instant attraction between the two from the off and John's qualities as a person/man is something many women desire. He's not some simp, or a self-promoting arrogant show off. He's wise beyond his years, strives to do the right thing to his own personal detriment at times, will challenge Dany as and where needed, honest (this is critical for womenfolk) courageous and a fearless warrior and in Dany's eyes he's great with her "kids". The stories she's heard about him, what she's seen him do and the conversations they've had.....over a period of many months easily sells their relationship.

Agreed....perfect for the King of the North and the Queen of the South...i like the idea.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 40,369
    I just really enjoyed watching Littlefinger run out of tricks and moves to play, and resort to whining and begging like a child. It was refreshingly out of character for him, like it was seeing a scared and terrified Bronn run across the fiery battlefield a couple of episodes prior.

I feel like after last night's revelation of who Jon really is (albeit something we've known for a while), I think he's such a man of his word and a man of honor that he wouldn't contest Dany for the crown. I thought for sure he would've found out who he actually was this season, though.
    I literally burst out laughing when LF started crying and pleading. What a coward. Arya didnt have time for anymore of this; she ended him nicely. On another note I love how Arya looks a lot like her mother but wears her hair and dresses like Ned.
    Never seen an episode! So one day I will get the lot and just gorge on the entire box set series! Lol!
    The finale has shattered viewing records with over 16 million viewers calculated in early numbers:

http://variety.com/2017/tv/ratings/game-of-thrones-season-7-finale-ratings-2-1202540601/
    When enjoyable, good quality TV/film material gets put out people will watch; and GoT is bloody good material.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I never read the books or started watching this show for the usual fantasy fare. It was for the intrigue and character interactions.

In many ways this was old school GOT for me, intrigue, some twists and probably the best character interactions of this season.

I know it's got to go JRR Tolkien as it heads towards the finish line although can't help but think this could have done with being the full 10 episodes and given more room to breath.

The biggest worry is unless we've got back to back full length episodes with a super length finale they are left with little time to bring this all to a conclusion.

I guess we'll see in what has been said will be likely 18 months time.

So glad I don't live for this to return like some, much more excited about, Narco's Season 3, David Simon's Deuce and of course MInd Hunter, we've also got Tin Star that looks intriguing and I haven't even touched Stranger Things yet and of course the return of Westworld next year.

It's a good thing we've got such a rich vein of TV out there, without going into terrestrial output like Strike and the final series of Happy Valley likely next year.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 684
    Caught up on the show just last summer, so my wait was only a year. Next 16 months or however long it ends up being will be a tough one! Vastly enjoyed last night's final season finale (in the traditional regard anyhow).

I agree with many of the more common criticisms of S7, but with the end in sight and the storylines converging and no more material from the books to tantricly weave through, it was always going to happen. Considering in addition to that the general fatigue that shows acquire in general after 5+ seasons, I think it's doing really well for itself.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,102
    GoT is a different show than it was for obvious reasons, it's become spectacle and I love it. Season 7 was uneven though it also had some amazing television never seen before, we are lucky to have a show like this

Questions I have
    Has Tyrion changed loyalty and is Cersei really pregnant?
    With Cersi you can never be too sure. Whatever the outcome it's not going to be much of a surprise.

As for Tyrion's loyalties, he's still with Dany, I think he's just concerned about his position and relevancy as hand of the queen. In any case, it would make zero sense on his part to change sides because he has nothing to gain if he does. He didnt know about John pledging his allegiance to Dany and was surprised to only be hearing of it at dragon's pit. Also, with the way John acquits himself as a dominant and influential character Tyrion probably fears his counsel will go largely ignored going forward, especially as all his plans and advice has largely failed except for seemingly this one time where everyone believes hectapked Cersi round. It's onlyvs matter of time before they all find out that in reality he failed there too. In short, the capacity and weight of Tyrion input has been compromised with John now sleeping in Dany's bed and he knows this. He knows he cant afford anymore cockups, especially at this stage with the white walkers being an imminent threat.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I had that vibe about Tyrion possibly switching sides when he had that worried, sinister-esque look on his face while standing outside Jon and Dany's cabin.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I think Tyrion learning of Cersei pregnancy (real or not) may have a bearing on how he view things, as an audience we didn't see the conclusion of the meeting between Tyrion and Cersei the writers could take that either direction.
    I think Tyrion learning of Cersei pregnancy (real or not) may have a bearing on how he view things, as an audience we didn't see the conclusion of the meeting between Tyrion and Cersei the writers could take that either direction.

I suppose it does make it a bit harder for Tyrion to go against her, knowing she's pregnant with his niece/nephew.

I suppose it does make it a bit harder for Tyrion to go against her, knowing she's pregnant with his niece/nephew.

Also any guilt he has from the decision he made to kill his father, it resulted in two of Cersei children dying who Tyrion genuinely loved. Guilt is a powerful motive I would not discount anything
    Does anyone think Jamie will make it to John and Dany etc ?

Or will Cersei's 'Hand' catch him?
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Does anyone think Jamie will make it to John and Dany etc ?

Or will Cersei's 'Hand' catch him?

Qyburn? Or do you mean The Mountain? Either way, I doubt she'll do anything about it. She should've known after her last display that he's likely not sticking around. I hope he makes it North and can redeem himself further.
    Rewatching the first season simpler times indeed, I only watched the earlier seasons once so much goes on in 'Winter is coming' it's enjoyable watching knowing what is yet to happen to the characters. Decided to buy all of the seasons on Bluray
    I've rewatched the series so much, mainly because it's fantastic but I also enjoy all the little connections that hint at what may be coming in the future. Just from a random scene in the third or fourth season, I'm still waiting for:
    Arya and Melisandre to meet once again.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,102
    Great scene foreshadows Arya
    Many faces
    That's the exact one I was talking about! I wonder if them reconnecting will have anything to do with:

Melisandre's prophecy that she must return to Westeros to die.
    I hope so though with limited episodes I think many loose ends won't be tied up.
    They have a lot to cover in only six episodes. I hope they can pull it off.
    I heard that each episode in S8 is going to be circa 80 minutes long. Still, not enough time to civer EVERY teased plot point/thread from earlier seasons but with things moving faster and a ficus on resolution rather than filler and slow build up/development they might just be able to pull it off. Might.
    Would you all prefer the final season as it is - six episodes at 80ish minutes a piece, or would you prefer roughly eight episodes at regular length?
    I'll go 8 of 60. An 8 episode season would surely be structured differently. Some more breathing room, perhaps.

More than that though I'd rather the traditional 10 episodes, 9 of roughly 60 and an extra long two-hour finale. ;)
    Would you all prefer the final season as it is - six episodes at 80ish minutes a piece, or would you prefer roughly eight episodes at regular length?

Technically either of the two works out to be roughly the same. Id prefer what @Strong proposed above, in his last paragraph.