No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

bondsum wrote: »
    Zekidk wrote: »
    Seems like Demange likes to work with cinematographer Tat Radcliffe (both 71' and in soon-to-premiere 'White Boy Rick'), who have shot all his full length movies using Arri Alexa.
    no one seems at all bothered by Demange's shaky-cam-style approach of direction, reminiscent of Marc Forster and Greengrass.
    Demange has made two full length movies so far - one still in postprduction - and both Greengrass and Forster have made several movies that weren't shaky cam mayhem.
    I was also referring to Demange's TV work in my assessment, which all have an overuse of handheld camera techniques. It's not just solely based on his 71 movie. Please tell me that you've checked out all his other work before submitting your knee-jerk comment?
    No, I haven't checked out his work in some of the episodes from Top Boy, Dead Set etc. So this disqualifies me for having an opinion?
    Would you also care to name the several Greengrass movies that didn't use shaky-cam, as I'm at a bit of a loss myself? If memory serves me right, United 93, Captain Philips, Green Zone, plus all the Bournes all used shaky-cam
    Are you honestly comparing the shaky cam mayhem from QoS and Bourne to United 93 and Captain Philips where it was used sparringly?
    . I'll admit Marc Foster is perhaps less deserving of being labeled a "shaky-cam" extraordinaire, but his one-time Bond effort did embrace those particular techniques for which he is remembered, whether rightly or wrongly, by the majority of fans here.
    World War Z and The Kite Runner weren't shaky-cam movies.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Just to be clear, Forster never utilized shaky cam (and very little hand-held) for QoS.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 3,160
    Q: " Is this the studio responding to Jason Bourne breathing down their necks that they feel they have to adopt this very similar “shaky cam” editing style in order to compete?’

‘No it wasn’t,’ Forster replies. ‘The studio didn’t really say much, it was more from me."
    http://commanderbond.net/6918/marc-forster-on-quantum-of-solace-working-with-david-arnold.html
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited August 2017 Posts: 10,586
    Was the editing frantic at times? Certainly. But the camera remained still for 90% of the film. The only case of hand-held I recall was during the Slate fight.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    Hello all bond fans i'm new to this forum and like all of you guys i'm very excited for bond 25 and daniel craig returning for the 5th and final time let's discuss the bond girl you guys would like to see cast in bond 25 one of my personal choices is scarlett johansson.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    The action editing was extremely Bournesque. I think most would agree. I believe they brought on some of their team for this as well.

I agree that shaky cam wasn't used in the non-action scenes, but it was in Bourne.
    They zoomed a lot, back, forth and across during the frame that "remained still." That's shaky cam to me. The editing is even worse.
    They zoomed a lot, back, forth and across during the frame that "remained still." That's shaky cam to me. Just watch the PTS. The editing is even worse.
    Just did. There are numerous "shaky" close-ups, but no zooming. I still wouldn't label it as shaky cam, at least not nearly to the extent of the Bourne films.

Reverting back to the discussion, while 71 looks great in its own right, the shaky cam there is definately not the approach I would like for B25 (ot any Bond film for that matter).
    Hello all bond fans i'm new to this forum and like all of you guys i'm very excited for bond 25 and daniel craig returning for the 5th and final time let's discuss the bond girl you guys would like to see cast in bond 25 one of my personal choices is scarlett johansson.
    Wecome @Goldeneye0094 . Good to have you on board.

Regarding the Bond girl, as long as it's not Lea Seydoux again I'll be quite relieved.

With respect to Johansson, she's quite a babe certainly, but perhaps is a bit too famous now with her ongoing Black Widow role (which she will reprise in the two Infinity War films).

I'd prefer someone a bit less well known although I fear with Craig back again we may be limited to age appropriate women like in Moore's later years. My preference is for someone young.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Handheld isn't necessarily a bad thing imo. I don't know why so many people are against it.

A lot of filmmakers adopt it because it effectively makes a scene more serious and tense. I find too much of a still cam can make things feel dated and too "studio-y". It's also easier to get into the action, because you're not confined in anyway. Think of Dunkirk, which did handheld beautifully. I can't really imagine some of those beach scenes had they been on a steadicam or rail.

Honestly I don't think Demange is dumb. He'll do the right thing.
    Jake24. Some of the shots of the cars are zoomed from the original frame, but no matter what you call it, it's a fact that many - like myself - found QoS very hard to follow, because of the s̶h̶a̶k̶y̶c̶a way it was filmed and edited. So many set pieces wasted.

None of this for B25, please. If they have to use handheld steadycam, they should use the same continuous steadycam style as used in 'Bushwick' (best I have ever seen).
    Folks should watch Atomic Blonde. The fights there were quite tense and visceral without resorting to frenetic editing.
    @dominicgreene I love handheld stuff, including whenver it's used in Bond films. It's the aggresive shaky cam as if the DoP is having a seizure behind the camera that I detest when it comes to Bond.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Jake24. Some of the shots of the cars are zoomed from the original frame, but no matter what you call it, it's a fact that many - like myself - found QoS very hard to follow, because of the s̶h̶a̶k̶y̶c̶a way it was filmed and edited. So many set pieces wasted.

None of this for B25, please. If they have to use handheld steadycam, they should use the same continuous steadycam style as used in 'Bushwick' (best I have ever seen).

Thats a fair opinion. Shakey cam wouldnt work for a film like skyfall or CR, however i think it works perfectly for qos and the action in qos. To make you really feel like your there right with bond in that car chase. For me it just makes it more high octane and if they go for another revenge story i would like to see "shakey bourne cam" if not then well dont have shakey cam.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 464
    bondjames wrote: »
    Wecome @Goldeneye0094 . Good to have you on board.

Regarding the Bond girl, as long as it's not Lea Seydoux again I'll be quite relieved.

With respect to Johansson, she's quite a babe certainly, but perhaps is a bit too famous now with her ongoing Black Widow role (which she will reprise in the two Infinity War films).

I'd prefer someone a bit less well known although I fear with Craig back again we may be limited to age appropriate women like in Moore's later years. My preference is for someone young.

The reason i prefer johansson is because she is not only beautiful and sexy but extremely talented and with her onscreen personna with black widow and lucy she can really have great chemistry with craig particularly if they cast her as a CIA agent and yes it is common for eon to cast lesser known actresses for bond girls but they have casted big names before like halle berry so they can do it again but i do respect your opinion bondjames, Christina Hendricks and Catherine Zeta-Jones would be great too as older women for craig.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Folks should watch Atomic Blonde. The fights there were quite tense and visceral without resorting to frenetic editing.
    +1
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    jake24 wrote: »
    @dominicgreene I love handheld stuff, including whenver it's used in Bond films. It's the aggresive shaky cam as if the DoP is having a seizure behind the camera that I detest when it comes to Bond.

Oh yes, that sucks.
    Bond 25 better not have any type of QOS camera shots in it. QOS is the worst Bond film of all time. I won't have craigs last movie turn out like that
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I'm a huge fan of Johnansson too @Goldeneye0094 and think she could theoretically make an excellent Bond girl. Christina Hendricks is a great choice too. In fact, there are a lot of actresses from Mad Men who could do a great job. I'm partial to Alison Brie as well.
    I agree @bondjames all the women in mad men would be excellent bond girls also elizabeth moss would be terrific also!
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Wouldn't mind seeing Elizabeth Debicki, Noomi Rapace or Salma Hayek as Bond girls.

Really don't see the appeal of Johansson, or an American Bond girl in general to be honest.
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind seeing Elizabeth Debicki, Noomi Rapace or Salma Hayek as Bond girls.

Really don't see the appeal of Johansson, or an American Bond girl in general to be honest.
    Debecki is 6ft 3 so won't work with Craig. She was just able to work with Hiddleston in The Night Manager. Rapace is an interesting choice. Always reliable. Hayek is definitely Bond material, even now.
    I agree @bondjames all the women in mad men would be excellent bond girls also elizabeth moss would be terrific also!
    For sure. I've wondered in the past if Moss could do a decent MP.
    Debicki is 6f 3?? That's insane.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Debicki is 6f 3?? That's insane.
    She really dwarfed Supes himself (Cavill) in The Man From Uncle. I noticed she was wearing flats in a lot of the scenes with Hiddleston in The Night Manager (and he's 6ft 2)!

Sort of reminded me of Yvonne Strahovski with Sutherland in the 24 Live Another Day episodes.
    Johansson is a top notch actress. She can make the most hideous of the roles interesting and even exciting to watch. She's that great. If star power still exists, Johansson has it. The Bond franchise would be lucky and privileged to have her.
    Johansson is a top notch actress. She can make the most hideous of the roles interesting and even exciting to watch. She's that great. If star power still exists, Johansson has it. The Bond franchise would be lucky and privileged to have her.
    +1.

That opening interrogation scene in The Avengers is first class. Same goes for when she brings in Banner in India and takes on Loki later in the film.

I 100% agree!!

Rapace as Bond girl? She looks like a young Rosa Klebb!
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883

Rapace as Bond girl? She looks like a young Rosa Klebb!
    Patrice (ex. Mr. Rapace) would surely disagree!
    +1.

That opening interrogation scene in The Avengers is first class. Same goes for when she brings in Banner in India and takes on Loki later in the film.
    Absolutely!

Just imagine her in the role of Madeleine. I mean... a man could dream, right? She would've made the role lovable just as Eva Green did to Vesper.