Moderating the forum

NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
As everyone knows this forum has become the place to discuss all things Bond, and as moderators we have tried to (sporting analogy coming up) let the game flow.

In recent months we have had issues with the flagging system which has been rectified, so thanks for your patience, and for continuing to help the mods keep the place nice and tidy.

Also, we have eradicated those spam bots - and I hope I haven't spoken too soon by saying that - so everything has, for now, smoothed out nicely.

One aspect we have been discussing behind the scenes is how to continue to moderate the forums successfully on an ongoing basis. With Bond 25 (sort of) round the corner we expect interest in Bond to continue to grow, and as moderators we need to know we are taking care of an ever expanding community as effectively as possible.

We know that we have been guilty of taking our eyes off the ball (another sporting analogy) on occasions and our moderating has not always been consistent. No two mods see an incident the same way, and we do beat each other up in the mod room whenever the chance occurs. But we are all in agreement about one thing. And that is trying to find that elusive consistency as much as possible.

One of the biggest problem - if you can call it that - at present is that, as much as we have tried to keep this a family friendly forum, the dreaded F and C words seem to be sneaking in more and more, either directly spelt or by blanking the odd letter out, or putting a 'v' in instead of a 'u'. Unfortunately, non of these make it any more acceptable.
Unless they are flagged we don't always spot them. I have removed several in recent days, but taken no further action. Moving forward you may notice that we will be taking a tougher stance with persistent offenders who ignore our warnings, and this could lead in turn to temporary or permanent bans.

We don't want this to happen and we never ban anyone unless they deliberately and provocatively ignore our polite requests, but it's only fair to point out that we do want to keep in place the values this community was built on. We don't believe we are watering the forum down, or making it any less adult (unless overtly bad language is considered particularly grown up).

The forum is rich with excellent, witty and above all else literate reviews, analysis and discussion. And that is what we want to continue to achieve.

In every other aspect the normal standards will apply and these can be found in the user guide on the left hand side of the front page.

Comments and feedback are welcome. Thanks for your help with the flagging of offensive posts (we do act on them, not always publicly).
And happy birthday Sir Sean.

Comments

• QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    Huge respect for trying to keep forum family friendly.
    At least someone is not willing to surrender all good manners on the internet.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Thank you @QQ7.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    In some soon 9000 posts I have never used a swear word (don't sue me if there is one somewhere).

What I despise most is bad manners.

Keep up the good work @mods
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    MOD, It's dirty work but somebody's got to
    Do it. I'm just glad It's not me. ;-)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Thunderpussy
    It comes with certain advantages. Bribes, selling the fruits of our drug busts, collecting leverage on politicians... You think Dan's return happened of his own volition?
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    edited August 2017 Posts: 1,053
    I think I've only had one occasion where someone swore in a post directed at me (but - more importantly - made false allegations within his posts) I think @Thunderpussy may recall the incident as he witnessed it. The offending 'F' word was later removed (I presume by a Mod).

I think the recent The_Donald thing served to illustrate that the Mods here have the right approach to site matters.
    You make a good point @stag, sometimes it's the overall intent of the comment that offends, rather than the odd word within it.

We would warn a member if they made false and offensive accusations at another member. As for the F word within it, we will be taking note and acting against persistent offenders.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    My quick two cents on this.

First, thanks to all the mods for the hard work they do to keep this forum the go to place for Bond aficionados. It's a thankless task, but I'm impressed overall.

Regarding swearing: From what I know, it's hardly an issue these days. Anyone past the age of 6-8 has heard the words several times unless they live a sheltered life. If it's masked with a 'v' or whatever I don't see the problem (after all, there's a well known clothing brand that does the same thing). I wouldn't want someone to do it all the time, but if they feel the need to add something like that to emphasize displeasure, why not. I always enjoy a little spice personally. Additionally, some members come here as an outlet when they are feeling down and out. As long as they aren't disruptive to a discussion or abusive towards other members, a little 'masked swearing' shouldn't hurt. That's just me however.

My #1 peeve here though is when I see members go after another member for their views, simply because they disagree with him or her. It's especially annoying when I see 'bandwagon jumping' following it, although it's perhaps unavoidable on a forum such as this. Ultimately all we have here are opinions. Imho, it doesn't matter if we cloak them with fancy verbiage or if we are blunt in our manner of expression about the franchise we all love. As long as the 'opinion' can be logically explained and justified by the poster to their own satisfaction, I think all ideas and thoughts should be welcome. It's a fine line between being a deliberately provocative member and one who just has a different & minority point of view, and I think the latter should certainly be encouraged and welcomed, in order to provide some needed balance.

My #2 peeve is the 'number of posts' card. Irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. Length of tenure or number of posts should not be used to bully newer members and chasten them. At the end of the day, I believe it's more important than an opinion (again, all we have around here) is expressed clearly and passionately.

End of two cents.
    Thanks @bondjames, all those points are excellent and will be noted.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    All points have been made, I only wish to thank the mods for keeping everything in line without being too severe.

Keep up the good work, fellas ;)
    I had a pm warning from the mods saying I'd said something racist (I used a slang term for Chinese people). I think, if you're going to tell people off, it'd be better saying "your post included something that some would consider racist". Rather than "your post was racist". I didn't appreciate the wording on that one guys.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    In my opinion every post should be free of swear-words and there is no excuse for it, even if the writer has had a bad day and needs to vent some steam.

I come here to read - and sometimes participate - in interesting discussions. Whenever people start screaming at each other, I really wonder if they forgot how to behave as a civilized human being. There are enough sad things happening in the real world, so my wish is that everyone should make an effort to keep this as a polite, witty, insightful, inspiring and fun place, where we can wind down and idle in the wonderful world of 007.

BTW, thanks for the good work behind the scenes!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    bondjames wrote: »
    My quick two cents on this.

First, thanks to all the mods for the hard work they do to keep this forum the go to place for Bond aficionados. It's a thankless task, but I'm impressed overall.

Regarding swearing: From what I know, it's hardly an issue these days. Anyone past the age of 6-8 has heard the words several times unless they live a sheltered life. If it's masked with a 'v' or whatever I don't see the problem (after all, there's a well known clothing brand that does the same thing). I wouldn't want someone to do it all the time, but if they feel the need to add something like that to emphasize displeasure, why not. I always enjoy a little spice personally. Additionally, some members come here as an outlet when they are feeling down and out. As long as they aren't disruptive to a discussion or abusive towards other members, a little 'masked swearing' shouldn't hurt. That's just me however.

My #1 peeve here though is when I see members go after another member for their views, simply because they disagree with him or her. It's especially annoying when I see 'bandwagon jumping' following it, although it's perhaps unavoidable on a forum such as this. Ultimately all we have here are opinions. Imho, it doesn't matter if we cloak them with fancy verbiage or if we are blunt in our manner of expression about the franchise we all love. As long as the 'opinion' can be logically explained and justified by the poster to their own satisfaction, I think all ideas and thoughts should be welcome. It's a fine line between being a deliberately provocative member and one who just has a different & minority point of view, and I think the latter should certainly be encouraged and welcomed, in order to provide some needed balance.

My #2 peeve is the 'number of posts' card. Irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. Length of tenure or number of posts should not be used to bully newer members and chasten them. At the end of the day, I believe it's more important than an opinion (again, all we have around here) is expressed clearly and passionately.

End of two cents.

+1 @bondjames

But I am a little more gunshy on the swearing. Once that becomes the "norm," then the boards could devolve into constant swearing and a butchering of the English language. By enforcing certain rules in terms of expletives, we force ourselves to find better ways to communicate and express ideas. We see this is pop music now. More and more singers/songwriters are resorting to the curse word because they don't know how else to express themselves. Sad. The exception to this, is if we are quoting a source. (We all know that DC likes his curse words.)

In any case, thank you mods, for taking the time to patrol the boards and make the community the best on the web.
    I'm with the no swearing crew. I don't think there's any *$%&£$% need for *&£$%"£%%^ swearing here at MI $%*^&%£^*^& 6!

I can only cement what has already been said by those who wish to say no to bad language. I hear enough of that while out and about, I really don't want to see it here.
    Understood Nackers x and huge respect to u and all of the mods here @nicnac
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    You guys are no fun.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Thanks to the mods for doing their job. I do think that particularly in political discussions swear words may be covered by the right to free speech to emphasize a point, no matter if they aggravate some people or seem unfit for minors. (This may be a cultural thing for a German - even Mark Twain was surprised when coming to Germany how casually even "society" ladies were using words whose English-language equivalent was clearly out of bounds.)

That being said, I do not see much value in political discussions in this forum and try to keep away from them. There are other forums for that, and I'm frankly kind of annoyed by the discussions of current events here (yes, I know, I can simply choose not to read those discussions, but still). The person of, say, Donald Trump, does not have anything to do with James Bond - at least not in the sense of discussing the former's politics as POTUS (and yes, I am biting my tongue for this statement). But all things Bond do not require emphasising four-letter words, so - no problem.
    Mods have a difficult task 24/7 on this forum. Really appreciate what you all do? Just want you all to know that's all.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Understood Nackers x and huge respect to u and all of the mods here @nicnac

@barryt007 - you were just a 'K' away from my reporting you for swearing!!!!
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I'll add to the mod nods, and I appreciate their influence on the board. Will also contribute my pet peeves, understanding not everyone can be accomodated. And I'm no Puritan, but I do recognize the intended audience of this forum and the level of civility demanded. Touched on earlier, moderating discussion becomes more important as the release of the next mission nears.

Excrement and its euphemisms. Introduced into discussion as associated with a Bond film, it is an immediate disruption to and distractor from discussion. The defense "but I didn't direct it at another poster--it wasn't personal!" doesn't wash. And too late, the introducer is now associated with excrement.

Self-identifying as a rape victim ("XX Bond film raped my childhood"). Another immediately offensive comment, to which there's really no response other than drawing agreement in said hatred. Rather than fostering open discussion.

Both those are more insecure eruptions of vulgar emotion than anything else, a preemptive strike to shut down opposing views. There's more, but it gets into open disrespect for cultural items some posters just don't seem to have experience with. Or for which their personal politics predispose them to insult and attack as a matter of course. Accepted behavior in their world toward items they don't think should register on the scale of concern, don't rate respect or consideration. Maybe anger vented to somehow change longstanding culture and institutions, but a misdirected lashing out that includes undeserving contemporary recipients.

Well, that felt good to share, anyway.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Hey mods, can we have one new rule? When someone says that the line "Here's to us." was good, can they get a temporary ban? ;)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    First off my compliments to the mods, still going strong and still doing an excellent job, for the now 11+ years I've been hanging around here.

Second, I do agree with @bondjames on how i wish discussions would be possible, but as this is an international forum I've noticed that swearing does actually complicate matters as not everyone gets the intention. Not that that in itself should be n argument, but staying away from swearwords makes it a lot easier not to digress into bickering.

Same goes for the examples @RichardTheBruce gave. And opinions can still be given in extreme forms by using non-swearwords and devoid of excrement-related comparisons.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    I feel this post is aimed at me! I'll try not to do too much swearing!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

@QuantumOrganization
    1) You'll succeed, not try.
    2) No swearing at all as opposed to "not too much".
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    All Mods are good ..... in moderation ;-)
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    DarthDimi wrote: »

@QuantumOrganization
    Yes, Master Yoda.

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    DarthDimi wrote: »

@QuantumOrganization
    Yes, Master Yoda.

You do what you're supposed to do, young man. You do it now. ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

You're a strange one.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Doggone bleeping blankety-blank.
This discussion has been closed.