Penny Dreadful (2014 - 16)

1235»

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    @bondjames they are ending the show because Dalton will be busy playing James Bond in 'Bond 25'. ;)
    He could still pull it off.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @DaltonCraig007, as long as Dalton is in fact going onto bigger and better things (either on tv or on film) then I can forgive this mistake, if only just. We see far too little of him.
    If this is true....

Well, it was a good ride while it lasted.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Was it wrapped up for any particular reason? Was Logan done/satisfied with it, or did it lack viewers and get the boot?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Was it wrapped up for any particular reason? Was Logan done/satisfied with it, or did it lack viewers and get the boot?

I'm pretty sure Dalton would have given the writers and producers the boot if the ending wasn't satisfactory.
    Meanwhile, I watched the third episode of the second season this evening. Poor Joan ! And Evelynb is really a bitch. And not a lovable one either.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I found the finale to be anticlimatic. This really needed one more season imo as this season had a few filler episodes and slowed things down. It was a good show with great acting moments from each member of the cast but it could have ended better.
  • Dalton_FishersDalton_Fishers Barcelona
    Hi @karl007
    do you still have this photo? I'd love to see it! Thanks
    karl007 wrote: »
    My brother was an extra for this film when they where shooting in Ireland..he was involved in a scene with Dalton himself I tried to get him to ask for a autograph but to no luck...he did tell me he seen timothy eating a large pizza all to himself and he managed to snap this https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201590563639311&set=pb.1634663620.-2207520000.1382780321.&type=3&theater

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited August 2017 Posts: 6,759
    I know I'm late but just finished the finale. It has been quite a ride this series and it has been wonderful to see some great work again from Timothy Dalton.

My favourite season is the second one although I liked all three of them. Even though Eva Green is the true star of the show I must say every character has been performed exceptionally well.

I also quite like the new characters in the last season: Catriona, Dr. Sew and the Count himself. Still though I have never been much of a Rory Kinnear fan and his storyline always dragged an otherwise great show down a bit for me.

Loved the literary references, the beautiful cinematography, the themes and how they incorporated classic monsters in an original way.

One final question remains: what will happen to Lyle in his search for Imhotep? I suppose we will have to leave that to our own imagination.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    One final question remains: what will happen to Lyle in his search for Imhotep? I suppose we will have to leave that to our own imagination.

They're making a comic book series based on that.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Ow well that sounds interesting. Didn't know, thanks!
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Penny Dreadful: City of Angels https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/penny-dreadful-city-of-angels-showtime-1203017159/

Logan and Mendes are in. Los Angeles, 1938...
    Logan seems to love Mexican folklore and the Day of the Dead
    Brent Spiner? I'm sold.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I have not seen much since the first season. Can you tell me if most people were pleased with the way it developed and with the ending? Without spoilers, just let me know if it's worth my while. Thanks.

Without Eva or Timothy I doubt I'll watch anything else spun off from this.
    The first two seasons are excellent. The 3rd kind of wraps things up half - heartedly, as if Season 4 was going to be made but then they had to wrap up the story intead. Love the show though.
    The first two seasons are excellent. The 3rd kind of wraps things up half - heartedly, as if Season 4 was going to be made but then they had to wrap up the story intead. Love the show though.

Indeed. Apparently Showtime cancelled the show and Logan had to wrap the show in few episodes. The show does reach a conclusion, but two characters' stories are left unresolved
    that is Dracula and Dr. Jekyll

The comic book follow up is doing an amazing job in continuing those stories.
    Logan also said he was planning to focus next seasons on The Mummy and The Isle of Dr. Moreau, which would have been really cool.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    First teaser for Penny Dreadful: City of Angels:

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited August 2020 Posts: 5,834
    I'm not surprised. It just wasn't the same.

Nothing could've beaten the original series as much as I'm a fan of Natalie Dormer.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I need to give the original series another shot. Watched the first episode or two years back and wasn't really in the mood for it at the time.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I need to give the original series another shot. Watched the first episode or two years back and wasn't really in the mood for it at the time.
    You definitely should @Creasy47, the second season is the best imo :)
  • I loved the original show, shame that one didn't continue. I've yet to see this one, but after the reviews and cancellation I may just pass on it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I started watching this show, but soon gave up. Not my thing.
    Finished watching the entire show, well, the original, and I loved it. Mostly because of the two Bond connections ;) and their dynamics.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Univex wrote: »
    Finished watching the entire show, well, the original, and I loved it. Mostly because of the two Bond connections ;) and their dynamics.
    Ah nice @Univex! It certainly is great :)
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    Ah nice @Univex! It certainly is great :)

Made me wish Dalton was still Bond. Man's in great shape. I know they gave him that analogy with the lion in the show, but for me, he'll always be the true wolf ;)
  • DeathToSpies84DeathToSpies84 Haydock, England
    Never watched Penny Dreadful, but I saw some clips on YouTube and Dalton’s still got it.