'Goldeneye 64' Appreciation Thread

X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
edited April 2012 in 007 Gaming Posts: 2,635
Simple the best FPS ever made for Bond, many Bond fans - me, for example - became the own Bond fans by playing this game. The Graphics are great, the gameplay is better yet, The missions are unpayable. This was my first game on Nintendo 64 which opened the doors to 007 universe for me.

What are your best remindscences from this game? Do you remember killing your brothers at multiplayer? you remember an epic killing? Anything?

Comments

This was my first exposure to the James Bond franchise. I was only 5 when it was first released but I still remember it fondly. I remember going to my cousins' house and waiting to get a turn to play it. We'd play all afternoon. I'd get the "good" controller if I was lucky but normally since I was the youngest I'd be stuck with the controller that had a bad joystick or a sticky 'B' button. Ahh, I have some fond memories with this game. :D
    I think there is now an appreciation thread for just about every bond game, lol.

I remember the multiplayer more than anything. I used to always play as Oddjob, because he's fast.
    One of the best videogames of all time. Maybe my all time favorite.
    I once shot a rolling guard in the forehead with the Moonraker laser. He kept rolling and I was surprised that he didn´t die, so I just observed him. He then stood up and all of a sudden put his hand on his heart, fell down on his knees and died.

Very nice. It's true, though. I loved the multiplayer more than anything. I had some of the best multiplayer experiences I've ever had with that game that I'll never have with anything "modern". There's just something about 4 people sitting around a TV that's so much better than playing over Xbox Live or PSN. The experience is about so much more than a game.
    not only the greatest bond game to exist but one of the greats film to game adaptions in Movie/Game history
    The only gaming thread worth commenting on for me! The original and the best by a very long distance! Have played on all the others and they do not come close! It is that good they did a remake! :)) But the 64 version will always rule for me! :-bd
    I just beat Train on 00 Agent for the first time today. By god, what a mission. Onto Jungle now, and I'm sure it'll be months before I've done that one.
    This is for the ages. Were it a Bond film; ranked #3, just below GoldenEye Film (#2).
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2017 Posts: 15,686
    Goldeneye 64 was released 20 years ago today.
  • RC7RC7
    The greatest Bond game of all. A monster. A phenomenon. Happy Birthday, GE64.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Happy 20th to the legend.

(excellent fan trailer)
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    GoldenEye 64. Part of the pop culture that GoldenEye and Pierce Brosnan created.
    20/22 years later still unmatched and unrivalled.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 5,185
    Goldeneye turns 20, which means it's my personal 20th anniversary of being a Bond fan as well. There are only a handfull of games throughout my life that i had an unhealthy obsession with. Goldeneye 64 is easily top 3 of my most played games ever. Must have been whole months of pure playtime, and counting...

00Agent wrote: »
    Goldeneye turns 20, which means it's my personal 20th anniversary of being a Bond fan as well. There are only a handfull of games throughout my life that i had an unhealthy obsession with. Goldeneye 64 is easily top 3 of my most played games ever. Must have been whole month of pure playtime, and counting...

My 20th too, I watched YOLT on ITV in August 1997 after reading a spread on the GoldenEye game in Nintendo Official Magazine.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    20 years. Where does the time go anymore? A massive Happy Birthday to a game that endlessly blew my mind as a kid, and easily cemented itself in the Top 10 videogames I've ever played. Would love to get my hands on this once again some day.
    Can't believe it's 20 YEARS???!!!! My goodness I ate, drank and slept this game until completion!!! Lol!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    full.gif
    full.gif
    full.gif
    full.gif
    full.gif
    full.gif
    Back in the day, I remember watching footage of this game on TV (I think probably the TV show Cybernet) and in my local Blockbuster. I didn't have an N64 then; didn't get to play it until years later. Engrossing game. I wish the whole Bond film catalogue was given this treatment.
    This right here was my introduction to James Bond. I only watched GoldenEye the movie because of this game!! Of course the rest is history!

My god, this game was my entire summer of 1997. I probably rented that game enough times to have bought it 10 times over, lol!

I remember I went out and bought 3 matching water pistols that looked 'close enough' to the PP7 and spray painted them black, silver and gold respectively. Good times!
  • Happy Anniversary GoldenEye N64!

Playing GoldenEye at a friend's was among my first encounters with Bond, too. The number of hours I gladly spent on that game and would gladly spend again!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It's my introduction to Bond as well. Wonderful memories. I remember I was 6 years old when I beat the Dam level all by myself.
    This game was my introduction to Bond as well. Although it was Agent Under Fire that made me the Bond fan that I am today, Goldeneye was where it all began.
    Love the gifs @BondJasonBond006
    I may just have to dig the ol' girl out of storage this weekend!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    This game gave me my obsession with remote mines. :D
    IJkdnDWl.jpg
  • I was all about the proximity mines. Or the grenade launchers. Had the wall angles all figured out. I dominated in multi with either.
    Currently spending the evening with Goldeneye and some Dr Pepper. An excellent time.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Can't believe it's 20 YEARS???!!!! My goodness I ate, drank and slept this game until completion!!! Lol!

I bought the N64 just for GoldenEye and Mario Kart...but mainly GoldenEye.
    Yes, hours and hours of fun that game gave me. Cutting edge graphics, brilliant gameplay. A true classic.

• Definitely a classic and brilliant for its time but honestly don't think it's the best Bond game. Nightfire did everything Goldeneye did with more modern graphics and controls (it's aged very well unlike GE) an original story, more cinematic presentation and a more rounded experience in general. It took what GE did in singleplayer and multiplayer and bettered it

Loved GE at the time, especially the multiplayer, but I'd never play it now. Nightfire I still pick up every now and again. Wasn't as groundbreaking as GE but it was a big improvement. Such an underrated game.