In time, will SP be more or less appreciated?

Comments

Getafix wrote: »
    Glad to hear someone speaking up for GF. A work of art - if this series ever produced one - GF is it.

I agree...TB definitely is a work of art ;)

Definitely looks good but is less than the sum of its parts
    I think we beg to differ on this one eh ?
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited August 2017 Posts: 9,020
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I can't imagine anybody hating on GF. It is the Bond film template no matter how many people want to deny it.
    I can't imagine anybody hating on GF. It is the Bond film template no matter how many people want to deny it.

Some people claim SF is better and more of a classic than GF. Go figure!
    That's bullocks and I openly can say that, again.
  • RC7RC7
    Glad to hear someone speaking up for GF. A work of art - if this series ever produced one - GF is it.

Completely agree. I've given up trying t defend it. If you can't see what an absolutely incredible bit of cinema it is then I simply pity you.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Last time I watched GF I have to say I was quite bored from after the laser table until the final assault. But that's only because I've watched it too many times. There's still some fabulous banter between Bond and Auric during the whole ranch sequence and overall you really cannot deny it's influence and slickness despite it not being quite up to FRWL or OHMSS.

To say it's a work of art is pushing it though. In terms of pop culture it's the Mona Lisa but in real terms it's nothing more than rollickingly good boys own adventure - which is far from a bad thing.
    To watch a film too many times is never a good thing.

Unless it's SP right?
    To watch a film too many times is never a good thing.

Unless it's SP right?

my last viewing was October 8th, 2016.

Really? I thought you had an implant in your iris with it on a loop 24/7?

I guess it would make life a bit difficult if you had to walk round with a stonk on all day.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 9,020
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    GF, for better or worse, is the Bond template. The future pros and cons of the series all come down to GF. I enjoy it but personally it doesn't make my top 10.

SP still seems to be garnering mixed reactions; it seems to be a film like LTK or TWINE were there just isn't a consensus on it.
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    Honestly I agree with backlash that GF is getting around here.
    A lot of scenes are just ridiculous and too far fetched even for a Bond movie. Especially that Fort Knox robbery combined with strange pacing both there and on Goldfinger's farm.
    DN, FRWL and TB are all much better movies imo.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 15,423
    GF had its plot holes and brief flaws, but there's no way in hell it's a far fetched movie for Bond. Bond movies are meant to be far fetched in comparison to what some are looking for. A grounded and realistic spy story, as they'd call it. There are other franchises to look for in that specific genre. Starting with the Le Carre books (and its adaptations), the modern spy TV series Spooks and the Bourne films (and the books to an extent). Bond is meant to be an escapist fantasy featuring a super-spy and Goldfinger is where it was perfected.
  • RC7RC7
    GF is class.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 2,107
    I'm doing a back to back re-evalution of the two Mendes films. Watched Skyfall already and I am half way through Spectre.

Spectre is one of the few Bonds I've seen in the cinema, that has left me feeling good, even after a couple of years after it's initial release. Honestly, the only flaw, which I have gotten over with is the decision to make Bond and Blofeld stepbrothers. What's done is done.

Skyfall, however I like less the more I see it. The movie is good when they keep the villain in shadows. From the moment they introduse Silva it's all downhill for me. The whole former mi6 agent gone bad was done much better in Goldeneye.

The whole latter part is a snooze fest for me. I'm thinking while watching the whole Scotland finale; just go and kill M already. I'm falling asleep in here!

Even the whole plan to go there all twosome was stupid. Bond literally got M killed. Sure, he thought he had full room of weaponry there. But to go there alone?

Sure, the only way to retire Dame Judi Dench, was to kill off her character. But...meh! Made Bond look all incopetent.

Worst finale. Like eveeer! Also apart from the monologue, Silva as villain. Not my cup of tea.

Rant over.

Skyfall, can pinpoint the flaws that make it worse every single time I rewatch it. Spectre I still very much love.
    SharkBait wrote: »
    I'm doing a back to back re-evalution of the two Mendes films. Watched Skyfall already and I am half way through Spectre.

Spectre is one of the few Bonds I've seen in the cinema, that has left me feeling good, even after a couple of years after it's initial release. Honestly, the only flaw, which I have gotten over with is the decision to make Bond and Blofeld stepbrothers. What's done is done.

Skyfall, however I like less the more I see it. The movie is good when they keep the villain in shadows. From the moment they introduse Silva it's all downhill for me. The whole former mi6 agent gone bad was done much better in Goldeneye.

The whole latter part is a snooze fest for me. I'm thinking while watching the whole Scotland finale; just go and kill M already. I'm falling asleep in here!

Even the whole plan to go there all twosome was stupid. Bond literally got M killed. Sure, he thought he had full room of weaponry there. But to go there alone?

Sure, the only way to retire Dame Judi Dench, was to kill off her character. But...meh! Made Bond look all incopetent.

Worst finale. Like eveeer! Also apart from the monologue, Silva as villain. Not my cup of tea.

Rant over.

Skyfall, can pinpoint the flaws that make it worse every single time I rewatch it. Spectre I still very much love.
    Well said, sir.
    Funny; for me, I prefer the middle and end parts of SF to the beginning ones. From Shanghai onwards I love almost every scene. I love the film's climax even though many don't.
  • RC7RC7
    edited August 2017 Posts: 10,512
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Funny; for me, I prefer the middle and end parts of SF to the beginning ones. From Shanghai onwards I love almost every scene. I love the film's climax even though many don't.

I love the climax also, purely because it's unique and looks absolutely stunning.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @FoxRox , I'm in agreement re: the final two-thirds of SF.... it got better and better as it went on. And I'm a big fan of the climax!
    In defence of Skyfall, the very last scene with Mallory as the new M and new office in the style of yore gave us accurate preview of the next movie; a more traditional Bond tailored to Craig. I see nothing wrong with that. The closest we've got to a more traditional Bond adventure was in 2006.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    In defence of Skyfall, the very last scene with Mallory as the new M and new office in the style of yore gave us accurate preview of the next movie; a more traditional Bond tailored to Craig. I see nothing wrong with that. The closest we've got to a more traditional Bond adventure was in 2006.

Yes, but it was done in a "dip your toe in" manner. They didn't quite embrace it. Yes, they throw the old school imagery in there, but in terms of tone and the actual story, its still the same. They won't go in that direction now. Bond 25 will be back to the brooding Bond, and I think there will be sequences that address Bonds age and bring up the "old dog" aspect. It will be built up like Blofeld is the one thing he has to see to before he can let go of being a secret agent. They will make it a personal and emotional story.
    I hope Bond 25 ends with Bond still in the service.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 2,107
    Me too. I hope they just throw a quick line in there when a new man is playing Bond. Something like "you look different, 007. Did something with the hair?".

Or better yet. Not adress it at all. We'll se if it's just continuation of this current era, reboot or even a retcon. Just have to wait and see.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I hope Bond 25 ends with Bond still in the service.

If they are to be true to the character, it has to end that way. The man hates "the soft life."
    Me too. I hope they just throw a quick line in there when a new man is playing Bond. Something like "you look different, 007. Did something with the hair?".

Or better yet. Not adress it at all. We'll se if it's just continuation of this current era, reboot or even a retcon. Just have to wait and see.

They should tie off Craig's era and just start the new Bond as a Bond at it for years, much like Fleming's Bond. We know he'd been working since the war and didn't need to get caught up on all his past history.
    I agree. No need for origins and all that with the next actor. Throw him straight in.

Best intro ever for a new Bond - Dalton in TLD IMO. Awesome PTS.
    I agree. No need for origins and all that with the next actor. Throw him straight in.

Best intro ever for a new Bond - Dalton in TLD IMO. Awesome PTS.

And thats why it won best pts in our poll!