The MI6 Community Film Club For Cinephiles [On Hold]

0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
edited March 2018 in General Movies & TV Posts: 28,694
One of the best ways to pass the time until another Bond release and to grow together as a community is to imagine cool little groups for members to be a part of, and we see this with the past community-wide Bondathon that ran from this September to March and with the current reading group for the Fleming novels running for the next few months. I know that we have a grand, enthusiastic and varied community of movie fans here, so I thought it'd be great and enriching for us all to have a group of our own that could go on without end as we continue to flesh out our individual film libraries and gradually kill those "must-watch" lists of ours that could be stacking up. The great variety of fans we have here, with "experts" in horror, sci-fi, noir and more films in and out of genre definitions ensures that there could be a wealth of amazing suggestions on everyone's side for the others to experience via this group.

With that, I'm happy to announce The MI6 Community Film Club For Cinephiles.

Mini-film-fest-google-image.png

These rules can be subject to change depending on community feedback, but the main idea of the club would be this:

*Either every week or every two weeks, a particular member will make an opening post naming and advocating for one of the movies they want the others to watch and discuss (this could be because they simply want to share it or because they think the other members would find it to their liking judging from their tastes). The movie can be of any genre, year or content, though we could run into an issue making sure everyone has the film to view if it's a particularly esoteric one.

*The other members will watch the recommended film in the days that follow the opening post, and will use the following one or two weeks afterward to discuss their unique impressions on the film, what they liked, didn't like, and, if they knew about the movie beforehand, how the "legend" of the film with all its expectations stood up to their viewing of it.

*When the one or two week period is over, the order will switch to a new member with another film suggestion, and the process will continue on and on.

With those rules in mind, I thought it'd simply be a good idea to do what we do with all these groups first off, gauging community interest and seeing how many members actually want to be a part of such a thing. I know that @Creasy47 is interested, but other hopefuls that come to mind would be...

@Birdleson, @DarthDimi, @Strog, @PropertyOfALady, @DaltonCraig007, @chrisisall, @Master_Dahark, @Some_Kind_Of_Hero, @Murdock, @Tuulia, @CraigMooreOHMSS, @Thunderfinger, @barryt007, @bondjames, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, @RichardTheBruce, @ToTheRight, @JamesBondKenya, @Legionnaire, and possible more I could be forgetting that would be welcome to speak up.

The great thing about this group will be its looseness. If you want to sit out a week or can't find a particular film, no sweat, there's always the next week. Life gets in the way and sometimes it won't be possible to get as into discussions as one wants and that is fine. This won't be a serious or fancy group at all where you are expected to do this or that weekly or bimonthly, but a relaxing and insightful space to come and share what you love about movies and see what those around you love too.

If we get a good group going here, whether that's five people, ten people or more, I think it'd be a good idea for each member to assemble at least five preliminary films that they would like to share with the others in the future just to give themselves and others an idea of what will be coming down the viewing pipeline . We'll decide on an order of which members go first, second, third and onward before we start the process, and once we cycle through each member's first choices that initial time, the order will then return to the original member and their second film will be chosen, along with the second films of all those after them, and so on. By the time that everyone runs through their initial list of five movies the group will have an even better idea of who each other are and what their tastes in films are, such that when we compile the next list of our individual five movies we could, if we chose, customize our lists to the interests of other members who love a certain genre but who may not have seen a classic of that style.

Because of this the process and purpose of the group will be to enrich not only our own ideas and experiences of film watching, but to improve those of others too. There will be movies that don't register to some of us for a lack of interest in genre or simple engagement on a subjective level, but there will no doubt be other times where suggestions from other members could give us or someone else a new favorite film to voraciously watch on repeat. The end goal will simply be for all of us to come together with the united passion of loving films, enjoying the unique perspectives we can offer to one another as we become more knowledgable and experienced fans of cinema as a collective unit.

For those interested in joining the group, please feel free to pledge that interest and to give any feedback or ask any questions you may have. If it picks up steam we could be starting as soon as next Monday or into the coming week, but there's no rush either way. We'll adapt to everyone's needs and concerns over time.

Full List of Scheduled Film Viewings and When Discussions For Them Begin

1.) @JamesBondKenya:
Memento (2000)/ Dir. Christopher Nolan / Spoiler discussion on pages 8-11

2.) @GoldenGun:
L'Avventura (1960)/ Dir. Michelangelo Antonioni / Spoiler discussion on pages 11-13

3.) @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7:
The Detective (1968)/ Dir. Gordon Douglas / Spoiler discussion on pages 13-14

4.) @Minion:
Vampire's Kiss (1988)/ Dir. Robert Bierman / Spoiler discussion on pages 13-15

5.) @Thunderfinger:
Rumble Fish (1983)/ Dir. Francis Ford Coppola (Oct. 28th-Nov. 10th) / Spoiler discussion on pages 14-

6.) @SharkBait:
The Big Lebowski (1998)/ Dir. Joel & Ethan Coen (Nov. 10th-Nov. 24th)

7.) @JamesBondKenya:
Zindagi Na Milengi Dobara (2011)/ Dir. Zoya Akhtar (Nov. 24th-Dec. 8th)

8.) @QsAssistant:
13 Assassins (2011)/ Dir. Takashi Miike (Dec. 8th-Dec. 22nd)

9.) @Birdleson
Once Were Warriors (1994)/ Dir. Lee Tamahori (December 22nd-Jan. 5th)

10.) @Murdock:
Death Wish 3 (1985)/ Dir. Michael Winner (Jan. 5th-January 19th)

11.) @MajorDSmythe:
School For Scoundrels (1960)/ Dir. Robert Hamer (Jan. 19th-Feb. 2nd)

12.) @Agent_99:
Dark Blue World (2001)/ Dir. Jan Sverák (Feb. 2nd-Feb. 16th)

13.) @Strog:
Knife In the Water (1962)/ Dir. Roman Polanski (Feb. 16th-Mar. 2nd)

14.) @thelivingroyale:
Police Story 3: Supercop (1992)/ Dir. Stanley Tong (Mar. 2nd-Mar. 16th)

15.) @Shark_Of_Largo:
(Unchosen)/ (Mar. 16th-Mar. 30th)

16.) @patb:
Midnight Run (1988)/ Dir. Martin Brest (Mar. 30th-Apr. 13th)

17.) @mattjoes:
Sea of Love (1989)/ Dir. Harold Becker (Apr. 13th-Apr. 27th)

18.) @DarthDimi:
(Unchosen)/ (Apr. 27th-May 11th)

19.) @ToTheRight:
His Kind of Woman (1951)/ Dir. John Farrow (May 11th-May 25th)

20.) @Fire_and_Ice_Returns:
Kiss Me Deadly (1955)/ Dir. Robert Aldrich (May 25th-June 8th)

21.) @Legionnaire:
The Sand Pebbles (1966)/ Dir. Robert Wise (June 8th-June 22nd)

22.) @Dennison:
The Red Shoes (1948)/ Dir. Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger (June 22nd-July 6th)

23.) @Tuulia:
(Unchosen)/ (July 6th-July 20th)

24.) @Lancaster007:
(Unchosen)/ (July 20th-Aug. 3rd)

25.) @Risico007
(Unchosen)/ (Aug. 3rd-Aug. 17th)

26.) @Mathis1:
Southern Comfort (1981)/ Dir. Walter Hill (Aug. 17th-Aug. 31st)

27.) @CraigMooreOHMSS:
White God (2014)/ Dir. Kornél Mundruczó (Aug. 31st-Sept. 14th)

28.) @LeonardPine:
Kill List (2011)/ Dir. Ben Wheatley (Sept. 14th-Sept. 28th)

29.) @bigladiesman
(Unchosen)/ (Sept. 28th-Oct. 12th)

30.) @barryt007:
The Omega Man (1971)/ Dir. Boris Sagal (Oct. 12th-Oct. 26th)

31.) @RichardTheBruce:
The General (1928)/ Dir. Buster Keaton & Clyde Bruckman (Oct. 26th-Nov. 9th)

32.) @Some_Kind_Of_Hero:
(Unchosen)/ (Nov. 9th-Nov. 23rd)

33.) @Mrcoggins:
(Unchosen)/ (Nov. 23rd-Dec. 7th)

34.) @Creasy47:
Munich (2005)/ Dir. Steven Spielberg (Dec. 7th-Dec. 21st)

35.) @ClarkDevlin:
(Unchosen)/ (Dec. 21st-Jan. 4th)

36.) @PropertyOfALady:
A Night to Remember (1958)/ Dir. Roy Ward Baker (Jan. 4th-Jan. 18th)

37.) @bondjames:
(Not Making a Selection) (Jan. 18th-Feb. 1st)

38.) @vzok:
In A Lonely Place (1950)/ Dir. Nicholas Ray (Feb. 1st-Feb. 15th)

39.) @Torgeirtrap:
Inherent Vice (2014)/ Dir. Paul Thomas Anderson (Feb. 15th-Mar. 1st)

Comments

I am most interested.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Dennison wrote: »
    I am most interested.

It'd be great to have you, @Dennison.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Sounds interesting. Seeing the offered film within a day or two may be difficult at times. I guess rules can be adjusted as we go if things seem impractical.

@Birdleson, exactly. Which is why, if we go for the twice a month pattern as opposed to four a month, it will give those who want to see the movies more time to track them down some way or another. Some movies will demand more discussion at that length anyway, so giving more time wouldn't be a big deal.

We'll adapt things to what other participants wish. I wanted to have all of us suggest five movies off the bat so that, if people wanted to get a head start finding certain films, they'd have months to do that. It's better than if we randomly chose films by the week we were doing it, springing those suggestions on people without the ability for them to prepare and find the movies ahead of time.
    Count me in ,but,as with others,i cant commit full time all the time.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Interested, although it would mean exposing my terrible taste in movies to the world!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Count me in ,but,as with others,i cant commit full time all the time.

Good to have you on board, my friend.
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    Interested, although it would mean exposing my terrible taste in movies to the world!

Well, @Agent_99, the end goal would be to expand your tastes. ;) I'm sure you've got some interesting picks to share regardless.

I'm writing up a list right now, and may try to do one from each genre I like. Who knows.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Count me in!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Always been a cinephile, so I'm very interested. I watch absolutely everything, any language, any country, any genre and any era will do.
    This would be neat. I'm in. Sometime between today and tomorrow I'll come up with a preliminary list as you advise. I think 2x/month might go over better — like you said, it not only gives more time to watch but also to discuss.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I don t want to commit, but may participate occasionally.

Maybe people could be given a week to watch a film, during which time no spoilers are allowed on the thread. Then a week of discussion with full spoiler freedom.

During the week of discussion, next film could also be decided upon? Just throwing some suggestions out there.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    At last something to look forward to Thanks Brady
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Oh, heck yeah!!!! Let's do this.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    As I mentioned the other day, I'm definitely in for this one, Brady. I may not be able to participate all week, every week, but I will as often as I can.

Maybe people could be given a week to watch a film, during which time no spoilers are allowed on the thread. Then a week of discussion with full spoiler freedom.

During the week of discussion, next film could also be decided upon? Just throwing some suggestions out there.

Interesting ideas, @Thunderfinger. Using the first week, or most of it, for everyone to watch could be fine, and during that time everyone could just post their initial thoughts spoiler free and in general terms before the second week where the real talk begins and spoilers are out into the open. That's a very good suggestion.

As for how films will be suggested, once we have our lists of 5 films made up, I'll have members order them from one to five in sequence of what they most want to share down the line, so that #1 is their most enthusiastic all the way to 5. When we have an order of members done, it will then be easy to go about it because if I'm first and Creasy is after me, it'll be my #1 and then his #1 the week after it, and the same for everyone down the line. Then, when we've reached the end and it's back to me, I'll put forth my #2 pick this time and so will everyone after me during the weeks after in sequence until all of our #5s have been watched and we re-do lists.
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    At last something to look forward to Thanks Brady
    Oh, heck yeah!!!! Let's do this.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    As I mentioned the other day, I'm definitely in for this one, Brady. I may not be able to participate all week, every week, but I will as often as I can.

Great to have you on board, my friends!
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Always been a cinephile, so I'm very interested. I watch absolutely everything, any language, any country, any genre and any era will do.

@GoldenGun, you will be a great asset then, and could be in the position to suggest some foreign films you find stimulating and powerful, in addition to really anything at all. Nothing is off limits, except for the XXX stuff. We'd have to do that over private message. ;)
    Strog wrote: »
    This would be neat. I'm in. Sometime between today and tomorrow I'll come up with a preliminary list as you advise. I think 2x/month might go over better — like you said, it not only gives more time to watch but also to discuss.

@Strog, you can start kicking us off with the lists then. I guess that in the next few days those interested can follow suit, just so we have an idea of what each other are going to focus on. If we do end up having repeats of movies in other lists the choice will remain in the list of the member who suggested it first, to keep it fair.
    I'm interested, of course, but I'm not sure how this would work. Movie discussion and all is always welcome, but I'm already struggling with everything I'm trying to watch - and there are tons of tips in The Last Movie You Watched thread, too. So trying to watch certain films within a certain time in addition to all that, I don't know. Plus ranking stuff already, from 1 to 5... I know people love rankings, I don't. In any case, I'm interested and will definitely see how this will go and if I can participate and to what extent.

But - will spoilers be freely allowed - as in everyone reads at their own risk since they are supposed to have seen all the movies discussed? If that's the case then it may be veeery tricky as one may see (or have previously seen) some of the movies and not the others, and if I can stumble on spoilers on something I haven't seen while trying to see what films are being discussed or trying to follow some of the stuff and participate at all even some weeks... Not that all films even have real spoilers, but I generally prefer to know little or nothing before watching stuff, so... I mean just saying that it would be nice if partial participation was possible and full participation not necessary, but that would mean the need for spoiler tags. But is that okay for this club or is it too limiting for discussion and just makes it a drag? I can imagine how tricky it would be if people on the forum would always have to assume that maybe some people reading the forum haven't seen all Bond movies and wouldn't want to know what happens in them... How the heck could the forum even function? So in the smaller scale in this thread, what would be the guidelines on that?
    Oh and also... just general movie-related discussion would be nice as well. There used to be a great thread with questions on some movie stuff - limited focus, but still nice, but even that has disappeared. A more varied discussion area would be nice, but I'm not sure how that would properly work. Atm it's either Bond-related, other popular franchise related, or a specific movie (that people have seen usually) related, or one goes somewhere else to look for discussion, really. I'm not sure if there is even interest, maybe it's just me. (I mean, since there hasn't been movie news/industry news/awards/festivals etc. discussion thread so far... people may not care - or those who do also go elsewhere for all that.) But just thought I'd mention it anyway.
  • This sounds like an interesting idea, and Thunderfinger's suggestions all sound logical:

Finding particular films could be challenging of course, but I'm always open to expanding my film viewing horizons. This could be a great avenue for discovering and sharing some worthwhile films.
    Tuulia wrote: »
    I'm interested, of course, but I'm not sure how this would work. Movie discussion and all is always welcome, but I'm already struggling with everything I'm trying to watch - and there are tons of tips in The Last Movie You Watched thread, too. So trying to watch certain films within a certain time in addition to all that, I don't know. Plus ranking stuff already, from 1 to 5... I know people love rankings, I don't. In any case, I'm interested and will definitely see how this will go and if I can participate and to what extent.

But - will spoilers be freely allowed - as in everyone reads at their own risk since they are supposed to have seen all the movies discussed? If that's the case then it may be veeery tricky as one may see (or have previously seen) some of the movies and not the others, and if I can stumble on spoilers on something I haven't seen while trying to see what films are being discussed or trying to follow some of the stuff and participate at all even some weeks... Not that all films even have real spoilers, but I generally prefer to know little or nothing before watching stuff, so... I mean just saying that it would be nice if partial participation was possible and full participation not necessary, but that would mean the need for spoiler tags. But is that okay for this club or is it too limiting for discussion and just makes it a drag? I can imagine how tricky it would be if people on the forum would always have to assume that maybe some people reading the forum haven't seen all Bond movies and wouldn't want to know what happens in them... How the heck could the forum even function? So in the smaller scale in this thread, what would be the guidelines on that?

@Tuulia, as with every thread I try to run, the style will be very relaxed and the experience will be up to the member involved. Beyond the schedule and process for discussing the films, everything will be relative. Some members will want to write long reviews, some short paragraphs. Maybe others will want to have their own ranking system or may want to order the movies they watch in favorability as we go, but others may not. The idea is that, no matter how you or I wish to present our thoughts or react to the films, anything is fair game and we do what works for us. But there will be no required numbering system (I hate quantitative rankings too, don't worry), no mandatory framework to meet or anything like that. You do what you want, and engage when you feel like it from week to week. Don't feel the need to do what others are doing or watch every movie if you're not struck with interest. We've got enough people on for this now that things won't slow down if one or two people aren't around constantly so the ship will be held regardless. Think of the group as a spa getaway where you are in control of your experience and everything is flexible to what you want to do as opposed to a stuffy and elitist film club of snobs who are strict and uncompromising with their tastes and schedules. We're all laid back and the group will reflect that in tone.

As for spoilers, I like @Thunderfinger's suggestion to use the first week for all the members to watch the movie, and the second week to then share their thoughts with full spoilers (and no tags). You cite the issue of coming into the thread to catch up to where we're at and finding spoilers for a film you wanted to see fresh, and that does pose an issue if you want to avoid information on the content of the films to any degree. Since we will be naming the first five movies all of us will be choosing in the next few days (which will last us a long while at this stage with so many participants) you will know all the movies that will be coming up in the future ahead of time and in the order that they'll be watched and discussed. Because of this, I think I'll update the opening post when I have the full order of members and their films done so that I can keep track for people of when spoiler discussions will begin.

So, say I chose Casablanca for people to watch, and spoiler discussions were beginning as we entered page 10 of the thread. I would mark next to my name and the film selection in my first post in this thread that spoilers for Casablanca would begin on page 10 so that people like you who may drift in and out of the thread can always head to the first page immediately to see what movies we've discussed and, if you haven't seen one or another of them, you can avoid the pages that are filled with spoilers to remain in the clear.
    Tuulia wrote: »
    Oh and also... just general movie-related discussion would be nice as well. There used to be a great thread with questions on some movie stuff - limited focus, but still nice, but even that has disappeared. A more varied discussion area would be nice, but I'm not sure how that would properly work. Atm it's either Bond-related, other popular franchise related, or a specific movie (that people have seen usually) related, or one goes somewhere else to look for discussion, really. I'm not sure if there is even interest, maybe it's just me. (I mean, since there hasn't been movie news/industry news/awards/festivals etc. discussion thread so far... people may not care - or those who do also go elsewhere for all that.) But just thought I'd mention it anyway.

@Tuulia, this would be a little harder to manage. The main idea and purpose of the group is to watch and discuss films and, while there will naturally be random bits of discussion about how a particular film, star, director or other artist may've changed the industry with their part in one of the chosen selections, I don't think we'd get into industry talk, news or anything like that. The group would be focused on simply watching and talking, and that's it.

If you have an interest in seeing a thread on the forum that could be for industry talk, what films are upcoming, what festivals are arriving and how awards season is shaping up annually, it may be the best idea to start it yourself and see if interest picks up. We go have this thread here on the forum for keeping track of upcoming films and pressing film news and developments:

https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/998/coming-soon-to-cinemas-near-you-the-upcoming-films-thread-august-2017-preview-on-page-215

@DaltonCraig007 is nearly a one man army of cinema information keeping folks updated with the movie trailers releasing every week while supplying additional information on announcements regarding actors, directors, writers and other general developments in the industry all the time in that thread.

If you want a thread that goes beyond tracking releases and news to become a bit more broad and focused on the film world, you could start a thread and outline what you want to do with it and what you expect others to contribute. I know there would be at least interest from some, including those who are already keen on joining this group, and you wouldn't have to be the only person to run it. If you were away other folks could post things they were interested in to move discussion or keep the thread going.

But as it stands this thread will be its own animal with its own distinct purpose. That isn't to say that general film discussion won't happen though, because if someone suggests a paradigm changing film that sent ripples through the industry forever after it then it's only natural to take some time to note its influence and ponder why it had such an impact. But I don't think talks would extend beyond that, as it would push the focus of what we're doing here to something else.
    I am so excited. I really enjoy watching fresh films and broadening my cinema tastes.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    This is such a great idea I cant wait to get started. I also have the perfect film in mind which i suspect 99% of you havent seen.
    Is it called God I love Quantum of Solace?
    This is such a great idea I cant wait to get started. I also have the perfect film in mind which i suspect 99% of you havent seen.

Thought you'd feel this way, @JamesBondKenya. ;) I know that you are, like I was at your age, trying to expand your cinematic tastes and have a big list of movies you want to get through. This group should help you hack away a few films and introduce you to must-sees you hadn't known of yet. Should be fun.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm interested but like others I might not be able to commit to it fully but rather chip in where I can. :)
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited August 2017 Posts: 6,758
    I already have a first list in mind. When do we start posting them?

Very excited.
    @GoldenGun, no harm in getting started, now that I have an idea of how many are interested. @Strog said he was going to post his list early too, so the both of you can lead the pack as it were.

When every member interested gives their list of five movies I'll then find some way to order who will go first, second, third, fourth and so on down the line (probably through an online randomizer). A note to everyone: when making your lists order the films from 1 to 5 with the movie you're most keen to share in the top spot, and your least keen in the 5th position. I say this because as we go from member to member (whatever the final ordering is), we will each be selecting the movie that appears in our #1 spot first. Then, once we've all had our #1 films watched and talked about, the order will begin again with the first member as they select their #2 film just as everyone else after them will in the weeks after.

I don't know if we'll run into situations where two members think of the same movie, but if that does happen it'll be by a first call basis where the member who suggested it earlier has the honors. I think that's about it, but if anyone has questions send them my way and we'll figure it out.

Is it five James Bond films?

What are those and what kind of name is James Bond? Must be boring, whatever those movies are.

What are those and what kind of name is James Bond? Must be boring, whatever those movies are.

There is really only one Bond film. If it isn t Mc Clory, it isn t Bond.

There is really only one Bond film. If it isn t Mc Clory, it isn t Bond.

Never Say Never Again is a classic for a reason.
    Yeah, The EON films are basically just fan fiction.
    Yeah, The EON films are basically just fan fiction.

I think you're giving them too much credit there. Sean Connery is the epitome of Bond in NSNA, when his younger brother couldn't match a fifth of his performance power in the 60s.