The Saint (tv series and movies)

Comments

It's not so much the beard than the reason for it: if he's got a beard in one scene then none in another there should be a reason, however flimsy.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 1,661
    He decides to shave it off prior to heading to Los Angeles. His female assistant tell him to shave it off. At the end of the story the beard is back for no reason (but apparently it was due to reshoots or something like that). Obviously, when you're watching it you're not aware of the production schedule or what's been reshot.

I do apologize for this beard obsession! I am experiencing full blown internet nerdiness!

5532052_orig.jpg

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Tyrant was cancelled. They could have reshot the finale, again. I don't know why they didn't.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Also part of the soundtrack sounded very like " New Digs" from the Skyfall score.

Unbelieveable. They used "Close Shave" track from the SKYFALL Soundtrack in it, and didn't mentioned Thomas Newman. Check it out...

https://www.facebook.com/TheBondBulletin/videos/805181656311733
    Oh there's going to be a lawsuit for this.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    They could claim it's a "rescore." ;)
    The music was undoubtedly put to good use.;)
  • Tyrant was cancelled. They could have reshot the finale, again. I don't know why they didn't.
    At the time we did the reshoots Tyrant was not cancelled and he was on strict instructions to keep the beard.

And why not reshoot the finale again? Cost.
    I wonder if Dynamite comic who already did James Bond will do The Saint. I hope so & the figure of favourite Roger Moore. It will be great anyone with me?
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    SaintMark wrote: »

And the Saint on occasion used a beard as a disguise in the books.

Moore did it in his series, too.

Seen most of Moore's Saint episodes - can't recall him with a beard. Always looked clean shaven to me. Perhaps there was a rare episode where he was in disguise but I can't think of one that comes to mind. Moore's Saint seemed quite open about his identity. Indeed, it was an integral part of the pre-credit scene. Simon Templar would help someone in the pre-credit scene and they'd mention his name "It's Simon Templar - the Saint!" and Templar would look up at his halo and the theme tune would begin.

I can't recall Ian Ogilvy's Saint wearing any disguise/a beard.
    Two episodes in Season 2 alone had Moore disguised with a beard, one of which co-starred Oliver Reed.

Just to clarify - your comment is incorrect.

Oliver Reed starred in two episodes of The Saint. Series 2 ep 9: The King of Beggars and series 2 ep 24 - Sophie. Roger Moore does not have a beard in those episodes. Both episodes are on Youtube so you can see for youself. Moore's Saint never had a beard (unless someone can provide proof - an image - from an episode to show he does!) - nor do I recall him with a stubble.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 15,423
    SaintMark wrote: »

And the Saint on occasion used a beard as a disguise in the books.

Moore did it in his series, too.

Seen most of Moore's Saint episodes - can't recall him with a beard. Always looked clean shaven to me. Perhaps there was a rare episode where he was in disguise but I can't think of one that comes to mind. Moore's Saint seemed quite open about his identity. Indeed, it was an integral part of the pre-credit scene. Simon Templar would help someone in the pre-credit scene and they'd mention his name "It's Simon Templar - the Saint!" and Templar would look up at his halo and the theme tune would begin.

I can't recall Ian Ogilvy's Saint wearing any disguise/a beard.
    Two episodes in Season 2 alone had Moore disguised with a beard, one of which co-starred Oliver Reed.

Just to clarify - your comment is incorrect.

Oliver Reed starred in two episodes of The Saint. Series 2 ep 9: The King of Beggars and series 2 ep 24 - Sophie. Roger Moore does not have a beard in those episodes. Both episodes are on Youtube so you can see for youself. Moore's Saint never had a beard (unless someone can provide proof - an image - from an episode to show he does!) - nor do I recall him with a stubble.
    Please do check again. Thoroughly. And the one you already cited specifically is The King of The Beggars. Oh, and the final episode of Season 2 where Moore dresses up as a bearded fisherman. And that, my friend, is called The Saint Sees It Through.

Can't clarify better than this.

I know my Saint very well.
    Are you saying the Saint has a beard in one of the Oliver Reed episodes? I think you stated that was the case. There is a short scene in The King of The Beggars where the Saint is disguised as a beggar but he has what looks like stubble rather than a beard. It's not much of a beard! I couldn't find any beard in Sophie.

I've had a look on Youtube at The Saint Sees It Through - and near the end of the story Simon Templar is in disguise, has a beard. I stand corrected. Thank you for the information.

Are you saying the Saint has a beard in one of the Oliver Reed episodes? I think you stated that was the case. There is a short scene in The King of The Beggars where the Saint is disguised as a beggar but he has what looks like stubble rather than a beard. It's not much of a beard! I couldn't find any beard in Sophie.

I've had a look on Youtube at The Saint Sees It Through - and near the end of the story Simon Templar is in disguise, has a beard. I stand corrected. Thank you for the information.
    I didn't cite Sophie among my claims. I said "of one which co-stars Olivier Reed". The King of The Beggars on the other hand, had a stubble. There, I stand corrected myself. I used to remember the Taxi scene strongly came to mind where he had a beard. I recalled wrong.

In The Saint Sees It Through, he has a thoroughly altered hairstyle, too. Something definitely un-Moore-like at the time.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I bought The Saint last week it's OK I was not expecting much though I quite enjoyed it, Sir Roger's appearance was brief though good to see him nevertheless. Ogilvy was good in the role he played, Rayner and Dushku were decent.

Thanks for the extra information
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    The Saint (2017) is available on Netflix.

The+Saint+MIPTV+promotional+image+poster+Adam+Rayner+Eliza+Dushku+TV+series+pilot.jpg
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    The Saint (2017) is available on Netflix.

The+Saint+MIPTV+promotional+image+poster+Adam+Rayner+Eliza+Dushku+TV+series+pilot.jpg

Enjoyable though the final act is abrupt.

Watching The Angels Eye Roger is in good form in this episode.
    Roger's role in this was very similar to that of his character in the first season of Alias.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 1,661
    I wonder if The Saint - as a concept - is a bit old fashioned for a modern tv audience? People seem to love criminal investigation shows, gritty drug dramas and sword and sorcery stuff. The Saint feels like from another era.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 15,423
    I wonder if The Saint - as a concept - is a bit old fashioned for a modern tv audience? People seem to love criminal investigation shows, gritty drug dramas and sword and sorcery stuff. The Saint feels like from another era.
    I have to agree with that. Today's audience are not really in for this sort of stuff anymore. The Saint represents some morality that today's generation don't really sympathize with, save for a few.
  • RC7RC7
    Got around to watching this the other day. Awful. Terrible production values - for the most part it looks like a 90s American TV movie that you'd find on the Hallmark channel. A charmless lead, genetic plotting, lacklustre action and a pointless backstory. No way this was ever getting picked up.
    It is true The Saint belongs to an old tradition of heroes that is no longer seen in fiction. Gentlemen thieves and cat burglars just seem so old. I don't think they'd last long in the criminal world.
    RC7 wrote: »
    Got around to watching this the other day. Awful. Terrible production values - for the most part it looks like a 90s American TV movie that you'd find on the Hallmark channel. A charmless lead, genetic plotting, lacklustre action and a pointless backstory. No way this was ever getting picked up.
    The backstory bit, from what I understand, was added later. I know the original TV backdoor pilot looked better directed (thanks to Simon West) and tooled which was evident in this final cut by Ernie Barbarash. The prologue, some additional scenes in the middle, and the epilogue were all added by him, which, like you, I also found very poor and cheap.
    I take the point that it looked like television production values. Maybe that played into it for me, recalling Moore as I saw him on TV during summers at Lake Mahopac NY, or Ogilvy on the CBS Late Night Mystery or whatever it was called. I also read most of the Leslie Charteris novels, even listened to the Old Time Radio dramas with Vincent Price.

So I liked it, good cast, no great shakes, very nice to see Roger Moore on screen and an even larger role for Ian Ogilvy. Simple distraction, the actor as Templar was fit and athletic and capable. The Robin Hood aspect was laid on a little heavy, I'll admit that as well, parceling out huge sums to a laundry list of the needy. I'd rather see a more direct plot with benefit to a deserving character we get to know. For what it is, I enjoyed this much more than the feature film with Val Kilmer.
    My only problem with the new Simon Templar was his athleticism. He was too athletic and too agile. A bit too much. Clearly his fighting style is Brazilian Jiujitsu. I would've preferred if he strictly stuck to Krav Maga without having to slide away from the opponents or perform areal rolls and spins like Catwoman. I'd have given that to Patricia Holm. Templar has to be bold and heavy in his movements in my opinion.
    For the book character, Charteris makes a point of Simon being athletic. But a fighter when needed, so I see your point @ClarkDevlin. That would have been a better balance.
    I know, @RichardTheBruce. I've read the books, too. Templar is athletic alright and has been through complicated jobs and tasks in the past people always assumed he used to be a jewel thief or a burglar when he actually wasn't in the books. Of course, if I were to adapt him, I'd definitely make him know the basic elements of climbing, jumping and running but devoid of parkour. Those light and super acrobatic skills that fit Catwoman and her likes more I would give it to Patricia. She could be Templar's own Selina Kyle, whereas he himself as enforcer overall would be someone akin to the Craig Bond, Jason Bourne and Brian Mills without the exaggeration of making him fight like the Black Widow.
    And not forgetting his skill with the knife which have been lacking in almost all interpretations along with his sometimes ruthless solutions which had more to do with justice than the law.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    It is true The Saint belongs to an old tradition of heroes that is no longer seen in fiction. Gentlemen thieves and cat burglars just seem so old. I don't think they'd last long in the criminal world.

Considering that Bond himself is a gentleman spy, perhaps the bigger problem is that nowadays the public can take only one gentleman hero at a time. Bond has staked that claim, even if Craig's OO7 is more rough-necked than his predecessors. The gentleman ideal doesn't appeal as widely as it used to, because our society no longer has the same aspirations. Once people yearned to be more sophisticated and cultured. Today we are taught to be indiscriminately proud of ourselves, even for our worst characteristics (and we complain about "shaming" if others don't share that pride); we are taught that all cultures are equal and wonderful, so we wallow in pop; we are warned against being "classist" and we emulate crass middle-classness. No wonder the gentleman hero barely hangs on with Bond and that no room exists for his fellow gentlemen in a culture more interested in tattoos than tuxedos.