"Attempting re-entry", Moonraker appreciation thread

Comments

• Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States
    I love Moonraker, as well!

See my avatar? Who knows it? :P
    Nice one @Thunderball007! I currently rank Moonraker #13. Some weak moments in it, but I agree with many of the things already said...very entertaining. One standout for me is the centrifuge chamber scene. But the first thing that came to mind was Lois Chiles. In my eyes and mind, beautiful, sexy, looks great in a tight spacesuit, smart, spars verbally with Bond, and can punch. Incidentally, I had a fun surprise while on Facebook recently and saw that a friend had become friends with someone else. In a snooping mood, I clicked on the new friend's profile, looked at his friends list, and one of them was Corinne Clery. She had a photo of her and Roger Moore on her Facebook page.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    As much as Moonraker isn't the best Bond movie, it is one that I have a lot of affection for. The reason being that it was the first Bond movie that I ever saw and has made me the supporter that I am today. When I first saw it back in the 80's (Boxing Day 1982), I was only 9 years old and I just loved it. Such spectacle, it had me glued to our small tv set.

All these years on I still enjoy watching it, it is good fun all the way through, with some cracking moments. In particular, the death of Corrine really stands out for me, the setting, the music, it has a Hammer Horror feel to it.

It is a grand movie, very much of the time with Star Wars to go up against but, for me, it is one of the most fun Bond movies of all, even though it isn't the best "Bond" movie.
  • Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States
    edited August 2017 Posts: 306
    @Thrasos

Thank you a lot!

I feel that PTS is the most legendary moment for James Bond in the franchise. That's my James! :p
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    The first Bond film I ever saw in the cinema as a child. I loved it then and have loved it ever since. While films like FRWL, TLD, OHMSS and CR are probably the best when it comes to illustrating more hard-edged, faithful to Fleming cinematic Bond, MR is the best when it comes to being the most purely fun and escapist Bond film. I even think it's a slight improvement over its similar and much more highly regarded immediate predecessor TSWLM(which I also enjoy). It has John Barry music, Lois Chiles' makes for a more competent and attractive leading lady IMHO than Barbara Bach's Triple X. Meanwhile, I think Michel Lonsdale's Drax makes for a more effective megalomaniac villain than Curt Jurgens' Stromberg. Drax also seems to have thought out more thoroughly his exterminate human life on earth and replenish it plan than Stromberg did on his.(Just imagine if both Drax and Stromberg had tried to pull off their nefarious plans at exactly the same time!).

Here's a fun tribute to my favorite Moore Bond film:

• pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    First saw this as a kid at some point in the 80's and absolutely loved it. As a fan of sci-fi, it never occurred to me at that age that Bond and space might not go together. It was just a fun ride and that was the point of the whole thing. I can see how the older generation would've scoffed at it at the time and, for that matter, how the younger generation today might not get it.

Looking at it through an adult's eyes, there are definitely some moments that go too far, but it's still an enjoyable experience. As others have mentioned, the production values are so high (what a gorgeous looking and sounding film) that it should never be placed at the bottom of anyone's list just due to those factors alone.

I agree that Lonsdale is underrated. Perhaps if he'd been in a more grounded adventure then his performance would rate higher, but somehow his dour outlook in the face of such lunacy makes the whole thing work. Moore, for his part, is effortlessly charming throughout (although he is not without his serious moments - see the centrifuge scene) and makes for the perfect leading man in this particular film. Seriously, who else but Sir Rog could've pulled this off?

I wouldn't want every Bond film to be like this, just like I wouldn't want them all to be too dark either, but I'm appreciative that we can have such a variety coexisting together within the franchise. Fly me to the Moonraker indeed!
    I think you guys like this topic. I just posted the film version of the end titles in here. An updated version:
    https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/17270/james-bond-songs-the-studio-album-mix-vs-the-film-version#latest
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    The first Bond film I ever saw in the cinema as a child. I loved it then and have loved it ever since. While films like FRWL, TLD, OHMSS and CR are probably the best when it comes to illustrating more hard-edged, faithful to Fleming cinematic Bond, MR is the best when it comes to being the most purely fun and escapist Bond film. I even think it's a slight improvement over its similar and much more highly regarded immediate predecessor TSWLM(which I also enjoy). It has John Barry music, Lois Chiles' makes for a more competent and attractive leading lady IMHO than Barbara Bach's Triple X. Meanwhile, I think Michel Lonsdale's Drax makes for a more effective megalomaniac villain than Curt Jurgens' Stromberg. Drax also seems to have thought out more thoroughly his exterminate human life on earth and replenish it plan than Stromberg did on his.(Just imagine if both Drax and Stromberg had tried to pull off their nefarious plans at exactly the same time!).

Here's a fun tribute to my favorite Moore Bond film:

I agree with you on every account. Moonraker, while equally spectacular as Spy, has a better Bond girl, a better villain, better music and I'd argue even better sets.

Sure it has its ridiculous moments, but let's be honest Jaws was a spoof figure from the get go. He was never a character one could take seriously.

The wisest men were always able to make fun of themselves. With that in mind, although I'm a big fan of grounded episodes like FRWL, OHMSS and LTK, I do enjoy some self-referential escapism once in a while and MR is a perfect film to go to on such an occasion.

It sits comfortably at #11 for the moment.
    It's #23 on my list atm but I haven't seen it for over a year at least,so I think it might move up when I get to see it.
    I loved MR the first time I saw it as a kid. Then I grew into the 'serious' Bond flicks and despised the film. Now I'm back to loving it. It's a real shame that the book (which is my favorite Fleming) was never given a proper adaptation, but the liberties taken here don't bother me in the least. I think it's an amazing piece of filmmaking. I have zero problem with the idea of Bond going into space as a starting premise (as a sort of one time thing in the series anyway). Actually the part where Bond is in space is one of the better sections of the film. The worst section is from when Bond arrives in Rio until the shuttles launch. The beginning is best, for the simple reason that's it's nice to see Rog engaging in some detective work.

What praise the film typically gets also applies: Tournier's cinematography, Barry's score, Adam's sets. Some additional things not praised enough: Gilbert's direction, Glen's editing, and Chiles's elegance.
    pachazo wrote: »
    I agree that Lonsdale is underrated. Perhaps if he'd been in a more grounded adventure then his performance would rate higher, but somehow his dour outlook in the face of such lunacy makes the whole thing work. Moore, for his part, is effortlessly charming throughout (although he is not without his serious moments - see the centrifuge scene) and makes for the perfect leading man in this particular film. Seriously, who else but Sir Rog could've pulled this off?
    Precisely. That's well-worded.

And as to your question -- no one. Can't see any of the others striking the right tone needed to carry this film off.

Now -- all that out of the way, here's something for an appreciation thread: supposedly there were some 70mm blow up prints of MR (for what it's worth, OP was also blown up to 70mm).

Anyone here who was around at the time and fortunate enough to attend one of these alleged 70mm screenings?

When MR is highly regarded it's usual in relation to the idea of its cinematic experience. I'd love to see on the big screen, and even more so on the extra big screen. Of course this wouldn't be like IMAX but I can still imagine the experience was quite something nevertheless.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited August 2017 Posts: 2,721
    Since 2012 when I had an epiphany that it is nowhere near as bad as its reputation suggests - I've always been a defender of Moonraker.

I honestly think if you took out three minor moments of the film - jaws flapping his arms, the gondola and jaws falling for dolly then MR wouldn't be anywhere near as 'silly' as it is claimed to be. Is it any sillier then Bibi Dahl, promises of stainless steel delicatessens, killer Ice hockey players scoring own goals and Margaret Thatcher being seduced by a parrot in the next film the 'serious' For Your Eyes Only (often called a 'return to Fleming' no less!)a film which I love by the way and like more than MR.

I also think the true reason for the ludicrousness of the the gondola scene is not the gadget itself - but everyone's reaction to it. Sure it has a double taking pigeon but it also has double taking dogs and multiple double taking people. The way it is presented adds to the outlandishness of it all.

MR has one of the best villains of Moore's era - Drax is up there with scaramanga and zorin. The dialogue between villain and hero is actually my favourite of the Moore era. I think that Moore and Lonsdale strike the perfect balance of banter.

The Chang fight is underrated. The Opening stunt is amazing. The Rio setting wonderful. The centrifuge scene is excellent and Moore especially good in this scene. This is the last time where age isn't an issue for Moore. Holly Goodhead is a solid counterpart. The killing of Corrine is high on my list of Bond moments from the series - beautifully shot and scored - like a quality 70s European horror movie.

The music is marvellous - and that score when they go into space is perfection. While the final space battle isn't much chop - Drax's death is a great scene and the race to shoot down the pods milks the drama and tension for all its worth. In both these categories it actually trumps TSWLM for me (which I realise is blasphemy)

Overall MR is my fourth favourite Moore film behind LALD, FYEO and TSWLM. I can often rewatch MR and I get a fair amount of enjoyment from watching Drax failing to kill bond with his ever increasing attempts to plan an 'amusing death' for our hero.
    I definitely need to see MR soon,its been a long time.

Although im not sure if it will move up my list.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited August 2017 Posts: 9,117
    I love Moonraker, as well

Are you suggesting there are people out there who don't?
    I've always loved MR. I was genuinely surprised when I found out that it's frequently criticized by Bond fans. It was actually the film that first changed my mind about Moore as Bond. I honestly couldn't stand him after having attempted to watch OP and TMWTGG (both of which I now have a good appretiation for). MR was the movie that turned the tide for me and I now rank Moore as the second best Bond. I absolutely love this film and I often have a hard time deciding whether or not I prefer it to TSWLM.

I think I'm with you there. TSWLM has dull sections for me whereas MR defines the over the top Bond romp.
    Fantastic locations, stunning cinematography, a villain with great lines.
    A wonderful Barry score and amazing sets from Ken Adam !
    There's a lot to like about Moonraker.

I'd go as far to say as there's very little to dislike about MR.

If you've put MR on you're not in Fleming or Craig mode you're in Roger on top form having a whale of a time and inviting you along for the ride mode. In that context who gives a toss about the circus tent, Bondola, double take pigeon and going into space?

Your watching MR FFS!! Sit back, crack open a beer and luxuriate in the sheer preposterous brilliance of it all.
    I feel that PTS is the most legendary moment for James Bond in the franchise. That's my James! :p

I have to agree with you. Whilst TSWLM and GE will always top it terms of being iconic the sheer conceit of the sequence is unsurpassable. In the opening minute of the film our hero is pushed out of a plane without a parachute! And it only gets crazier from there folks!! Welcome to MR.

It's largely down to the impression MR made on Boxing Day in the 80s that I'm here today. After your first hit of MR how can you not want more of this world?
    pachazo wrote: »
    Seriously, who else but Sir Rog could've pulled this off?

Of course this goes without saying. Even when he's plummeting to earth without a parachute or the globe is about to enter earths atmosphere deep down you just knew Rog had everything under control.

Yes we can all slag off the comic moments and say it's not Fleming but that's missing the point. Of course I'd love to see a straight adaptation of Fleming's MR (it's probably my favourite Fleming movel) but if you said the price to pay for this was erasing the version of MR we have I'm honestly not sure I could pay it.

Where other films promise you the earth MR truly does deliver.
    Nice to know we can enjoy MR for what it is. There was another thread where I recalled it was fashionable post MR to bash it as crap and thankfully we're past that.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 11,189
    It's utterly dopey and stupid in places, but its photographed/scored beautifully so I consider it a bit of a guilty pleasure.

It's definitely Bond at it's most decorative and shallow though.

For all it's daftness it does have some famous, suspenseful scenes that many others have pointed out.

Still a great scene almost 40 years later (I do cringe though when Chiles says "I don't know what could have happened" at the end).
    Almost all of Chiles' line readings and acting are bad, but it doesn't detract much from the bonkers atmosphere of MR. My personal favorite is her reaction when Bond sidles up to her in Venice and says "14th Century" and she acts totally shocked. But again, it works for the film.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited August 2017 Posts: 6,778
    I have always liked Lois Chiles a lot in MR. Intelligent, resourceful but also pretty sweet. Love how she reacts when Bond almost blows up her hotel room mirror.
  • ossyjackossyjack Blackburn, UK
    Moonraker is really good up until the Amazon Rainforest. After that the launch into space and space battle ruins it.
    A shame because the Venice and Rio scenes are among the best in the whole series. The cable car scene is a classic. Ignoring the hovercraft gondola driving around St Marks Square and it is almost faultless until the absurdity of Bond heading to an invisible space station, laser battles and shooting down the poison capsules. Thankfully they realised they had gone too far with it and returned with the far more sensible and better effort in FYEO.
    Give me MR and all its wackiness over the recycled stunts and supposed seriousness of FYEO any day, Fleming roots and all.

MR is firmly at #23 in my rankings and I don't think its ever going to climb from that spot.

They went too far with it....took it beyond silly and ruined potential shows throughout.
    Moonraker: appreciation or hate?
    For me, it's more like "Face-Palm."
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Happy 40th anniversary to Moonraker! Looking forward to watching it this weekend <:-P
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    My favorite Moore film. I always can get passed the campy moments and enjoy mostly everything. The only drag is between the PTS and Venice, outside of the centrifuge scene.
    Wow. 40. That's insane.
    Nowhere near as bad as some make out but could have been so much better. The first half or so is excellent but then the awful humour kicks in. I think its the cheap gags rather than the space stuff (which is beautifully designed and shot) that lets it down.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    I've always been a defender of Moonraker. Take Jaws out of the film and the Gondola and it's not any sillier than other Moore films. I love Lewis Gilbert's moments of suspense - the centrifuge and especially the killing of Corrine captured like a 70s Italian horror. It's the last time Moore looks in good shape. And his banter with Drax is among the best of the series.
    I've always been a defender of Moonraker. Take Jaws out of the film and the Gondola and it's not any sillier than other Moore films. I love Lewis Gilbert's moments of suspense - the centrifuge and especially the killing of Corrine captured like a 70s Italian horror. It's the last time Moore looks in good shape. And his banter with Drax is among the best of the series.

Agreed. It was on ITV4 last night, couldnt resist. I much prefer watching it than TSWLM, which also has some awful humour, (mostly with Jaws)
    The pts is splendid, and I have grown to love Basseys theme, overlooked imo.
    Drax has some great lines in it too!
    And I love that scene of Corinnes death, one of the most striking sequences in the series!
    First Bond film I saw in the cinema. Happy 40th!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    I much prefer watching it than TSWLM, which also has some awful humour, (mostly with Jaws)
    Same here. I saw MR before I saw TSWLM and always wondered if it would've made a difference in my preference had I seen it first.
    It was on TV last night!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Quite frankly, when MR came out I sort of boycotted it because I thought it was ludicrous to have Bond in space - at least in a way going far beyond then-current technology and using Star Wars-type laser weapons. I only corrected that when I started collecting the Bond movies in their original version (being fed up with the German approach of dubbing everything), first on VHS, then on DVD, and for now on Blu-ray (I don't suppose I'll upgrade to 4K in my lifetime, I'm fine with Full-HD).

But I've grown to sort of love (with some reservations) MR, and probably more than maybe more obvious candidates like TSWLM. I'm not saying MR is any better. Either way, it is just another remake of YOLT (as is TSWLM), and common wisdom has it that the original is better. I'm just not too sure I like the first remake better than the second as well. I find TSWLM far more dated by now than MR, not least because of the somewhat-meh Marvin Hamlisch score of the former as opposed to possibly one of the best John Barry scores ever for the latter.

Once one engages to treat MR as more or less of a Bond parody one should be able to live with its shortcomings, meaning the all-too-banal jokes (Bondola, double-taking pigeon etc.) as well as the sudden conversion of Jaws. He was a joke figure anyway, from day 1 in TSWLM. I never found him threatening. He was always played strictly for laughs (I wonder what Richard Kiel thought about it, but then his compensation probably made up for it). So the enlightenment, the love interest and sudden urge to speak a whole sentence (actually, it isn't even that) is nothing to complain about. It's just silly in both films.

As much as I appreciate Ken Adam's tanker set in TSWLM, I do prefer his sets for MR. The scene with Bond and Goodhead under the Moonraker engines is fantastic, more so than much of TSWLM. Here we are back at Adam's expressionism of the Professor Dent reporting scene of Dr. No, and also his famous War Room of Dr. Strangelove, while the tanker belly may be giant and grandiose, but really nothing special in comparison. Also, the use of the Centre Pompidou and the set for the space station are nothing but pure genius.

One more thing that must be mentioned: Hugo Drax, or Mich(a)el Lonsdale, has some of the most priceless, original lines of any Bond villain. Funny as hell, and more so than the Bondola and the like).

MR keeps climbing in my list.