EON's 'The Rhythm Section' (2020)

edited August 2019 in General Movies & TV Posts: 4,400
Considering this isn't really Bond 25 news, it doesn't have much place being discussed in that thread. Plus I'm legitimately excited for this film and would like to have a discussion about it. So here goes.......

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Blake Lively, Reed Morano Team On Female-Driven Espionage Thriller From James Bond Producers https://www.deadline.com/2017/07/blake-lively-reed-morano-team-espionage-thriller-feature-movie-1202127618/

Clearly EON have spent the last few years attempting to assert themselves away from Bond. This always felt like something Barbara Broccoli (with her considerable influence in the industry) was wasting her talents not doing. It was also nice to see her working away from the genre of Bond and moving into other areas. But what is most surprising here is the clear suggestion that this series has the potential to become a franchise within the espionage genre.

Are we finally getting a Jane Bond? It would apparently seem so…..at least in a superficial sense.

Two things immediately come to mind hearing this news.

1.) If this is “Jane Bond” then Blake Lively is shockingly disappointing casting. She’s just a B-movie star and clearly the fourth name on the list before EON settled on her. I feel with Blake’s involvement, this will last for one film before dying out. If they wanted this thing to have legs they needed someone with more talent. However, she is damn beautiful. But that can only get you so far.

time-100-blake-lively-today-170426-tease_c4d2318c9b419d8f413bc43bdcd51d38.today-ss-slide-desktop.jpg

2.) The choice of director. Firstly, they have picked a woman. Reed Morano is representative of Broccoli’s attempt to get more women into film. EON have mounted 4 other films over the last 4 years aside from Bond pictures and 3 have been directed by women. Clearly Broccoli is making a concerted effort to be more inclusive. Which is a bloody good thing, and about damn time.

But what is more interesting is Morano’s talent as a director and cinematographer. I follow her Instagram and it’s clear to me that the woman is damn talented. Check it out for yourself:
https://www.instagram.com/reedmorano/?hl=en

Plus she is having a bit of a moment currently with The Handmaiden’s Tale proving to be a bit of a cultural phenomenon.

When we talk of getting rid of the old crusty nostalgic feel of the Bond films, and moving towards something which is more daring and edgy: We’re talking about someone like Reed Morano.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this film proves her audition for the Bond gig. Also, I think she’s a beautiful woman, why can’t she play the lead as well?

042517-big-deal-reed-morano-lead.jpg?itok=uGNtxxZz

Comments

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2017 Posts: 4,416
    I collect three movies with Blake Lively (and have seen two) and like to see two other movies with her. I think she was good in Savages and only wish there give her more to do with. She also having a part in Martin Campbell Green Lantern. I stil must see The Town.

We already wait very long on Salt 2 who start Angelina Jolie as a Spy. Iam curious what another famale Spy can bring. Inspecialy without 24, TDK, Arrow or Taken elements. Also i not realy have mutch trust that it created elements if Bond already can't.

Directer work with before with Hafsia Herzi. Who is on my Bondgirl wishlist. And direct a movie who also stars Jeffrey Wright.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I don't know anything about this Reed Morano, but she's got a pretty cool name and she looks good too. I'm willing to give her a chance with this The Rhythm Section thing (that's a cool name for a film series too btw).

I notice she's cinematographer on a lot of the films that she directs. I guess that's one way to save some coin.
    I recommend everyone keep an eye on Reed Morano's Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/reedmorano/

There are a lot of interesting nuggets coming out about the film. Including mention that Sean Bobbit is the DP and that she is scouting locations with, none other than, Gregg Wilson....

Surely we can park the rumours of EON selling Bond, as Greg must be the heir apparent?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited August 2017 Posts: 9,117
    Surely we can park the rumours of EON selling Bond, as Greg must be the heir apparent?

Please no. If that's the case I'd much sooner they sold up to Warner and Nolan.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883

Please no. If that's the case I'd much sooner they sold up to Warner and Nolan.
    I'm actually looking forward to a sale myself. Hope the rumours are true.
  • There have been some interesting developments over the last few weeks regarding this project.

Firstly, Jude Law has joined the cast and Paramount have agreed to distribute.
    http://variety.com/2017/film/news/jude-law-blake-lively-rhythm-section-1202573895/

I think when his name was mooted back in 2005, Jude was a slightly dodgy choice for Bond. I think we needed a rougher Bond after the Brosnan years. But Law would make a great villain.

Also reed posted this awesome photo of MGW the other day on Instagram:

• BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    edited February 2018 Posts: 1,884
    Am I the only one who'd prefer seeing this film do horribly at the box office so that the producers never stray away from making Bond films in the future?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Am I the only one who'd prefer seeing this film do horribly at the box office so that the producers never stray away from making Bond films in the future?

But production on this hasn't been the reason Bond 25 isn't currently shooting. Neither is the current delay, from what I understand.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

But production on this hasn't been the reason Bond 25 isn't currently shooting. Neither is the current delay, from what I understand.

I know. That wasn't my point anyway.

It's just that The Rhythm Section is based on a series of books and if it does good business then EON are going to be spending quite a lot of their attention on it for the next decade. They'll rely less and less on Bond for their production company's reputation (MGM also), which means a slower rate of films being made until they possibly lose their interest altogether.

It's just that The Rhythm Section is based on a series of books and if it does good business then EON are going to be spending quite a lot of their attention on it for the next decade. They'll rely less and less on Bond for their production company's reputation (MGM also), which means a slower rate of films being made until they possibly lose their interest altogether.

What have they worked on at length during the Craig era? Not much comes to mind and we've gotten some pretty lengthy breaks between films already.

It's just that The Rhythm Section is based on a series of books and if it does good business then EON are going to be spending quite a lot of their attention on it for the next decade. They'll rely less and less on Bond for their production company's reputation (MGM* also), which means a slower rate of films being made until they possibly lose their interest altogether.

What have they worked on at length during the Craig era? Not much comes to mind and we've gotten some pretty lengthy breaks between films already.

All I'm trying to say is that it won't make producing Bond films any easier.

*MGM has nothing to do with TRS whoops. Paramount is distributing the film.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    So, is The Rhythm Section going to be delayed by several months, or dumped on Netflix? It is still planned for a February 22 release by Paramount, and we have no official picture, poster or trailers for this film yet.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited January 2019 Posts: 4,416
    Atleast i expect the original October/November 2019 release date of Bond 25. On this way final trailer of Bond 25 can been showed with this movie. Or other way around should expect the movie on 5/6 March 2020 or April/May 2020. With Bond 25 on 13/14 Feb, it wil les then month if choose to release it before 8 March. International Woman's Day.
  • This looks as though it's going to be delayed....which does make sense, it did have a 6 month hiatus midway through production.

I'm very excited for this and hope it turns out well.

My guess: it needs more reshoots or it's such a dud that they'll dump it on Netflix.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

1 week after Kingman: The Great Game and 1 week before Knives Out, with Jumanji 3 & Star Wars 9 the following 2 week after that.
  • According to Deadline, the film is meant to be pretty excellent and Blake Lively is supposed to be a real revelation. They're saying it's being primed as an awards contender.

https://deadline.com/2019/01/blake-lively-spy-pic-rhythm-section-to-tune-up-this-fall-1202541814/

It all sounds like spin to me. But encouraging nonetheless.

Lively is a pretty uninspiring actress - she has one register that she plays very well. But it's fairly limited, and she has mixed results when she attempts to surpass it.

She's utterly gorgeous though. But she always seemed an odd choice for Eon.

blake-lively.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=1200
    Does anyone know what's happening with this film????

@antovolk Any word on the trailer? Every other studio is launching trailers for their fall pictures. But Paramount have been silent?

If it's turd, I can imagine Paramount are trying to sell it off to a streamer now.
    I'm eagerly keeping an eye out as well - though since this is a Thanksgiving release and we only just got Knives Out...no reason for concern just yet. If we don't get it within the next month or so, then time to worry.
    Based on the schedule page on BoxOfficeMojo, these are the upcoming wide-releases dated before The Rhythm Section which are also without trailers:

Motherless Brooklyn, Countdown, Last Christmas, Playing With Fire, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, The Last Full Measure, The Woman in the Window, Long Time Coming, Zombieland 2, The Hunt, Hustlers*, Untitled Aviron Horror.

* Trailer confirmed to drop on July 17th.
    Based on the schedule page on BoxOfficeMojo, these are the upcoming wide-releases dated before The Rhythm Section which are also without trailers:

Motherless Brooklyn, Countdown, Last Christmas, Playing With Fire, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, The Last Full Measure, The Woman in the Window, Long Time Coming, Zombieland 2, The Hunt, Hustlers*, Untitled Aviron Horror.

* Trailer confirmed to drop on July 17th.

The list of wide-releases films coming before The Rhythm Section without a trailer available yet is down to:

Motherless Brooklyn, Countdown, The Last Full Measure and All Rise.

Rhythm Section comes out in a little over 3 months from now. No official pictures were released, nor posters, nor any trailers/teaser/clips.

Almost a certainty that this won't come out until 2020.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España

Check imdb: February 2020? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7134096/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1
    ggl007 wrote: »

Check imdb: February 2020? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7134096/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

Still listed as November 22, 2019 in North America. :-?

Capture-d-e-cran-2019-08-15-a-11-57-07.png
    And same for UK...feels like a mistake on IMDB
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Perhaps a small release in November looking for awards in awards season next year.
    Perhaps a small release in November looking for awards in awards season next year.

Nah, this isn't at all an awards title...
    antovolk wrote: »

Yeah, this is an action thriller, not Oscar material at all.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    antovolk wrote: »

Yeah, this is an action thriller, not Oscar material at all.
    In an era where a comic book movie can be nominated, anything is possible.
    Is there an Oscar category for hottest lady on the planet?