"SPECTRE" Appreciation Topic (...and why you think the 24th Bond film was the best spy film of 2015)

Comments

• edited August 2017 Posts: 11,425
    Double post
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    I am not a fan of SPECTRE (actually one of the worst entries) and there's a lot of things I really hate. BUT since this is an appreciation thread, I also want to name the things that I thought were really, really cool in it:

1. The return of Mr.White
    Love the whole storyline, his daughter and the the whole encounter with 007. To me, it's the real peak of SP - excellent.

2. Q "in the field" and in general
    Great suspense scenes in the ski lift - a lot of fun in Q's "office". The type of humour of the classics is pretty much back and I like the new Q a lot. All scenes with him are great, IMHO

3. SPECTRE meeting in rome
    Excellent setting, Blofeld in the shadow and the way all others react to his entrance. Until the "coocoo", it's just awesome.

4. Day Of The Dead
    Very cool PTS until the title song appears.

5. Train fight
    Bautista as henchman is just great and the train fight is one of the highlights in SP. Very well done - with a good ending (even Bond was rescued instead of rescueing himself)

6. L'americain
    I know there's some controversy about it ... I really like it actually. I think it's a very good scene - eben I don't understan why Mr.White has no secret door to his hidden chamber and would have to re-cast and paint the wall every time he was visiting L'americain. I loved the "Who're you?" scene.

Unfortunately, that's about it for me but these highlights were pretty cool and I like to re-watch them ... (but I tend to skip everything else when re-watching the movie).

I agree with almost all of that. I can tolerate the not-so-great stuff in the film and I enjoy most of it overall, but those are definitely the biggest highlights. They really boost the film for me, despite some of it being less original and engaging. Overall still a good Bond film for me - just not great.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Now that it's been a couple of years, I'm curious regarding the thread title: is there anyone here who felt SP was the best spy/action film of 2015?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Now that it's been a couple of years, I'm curious regarding the thread title: is there anyone here who felt SP was the best spy/action film of 2015?

Of those I saw, probably. It was certainly the most interesting and the only one that actually stayed with me after the viewing. The human elements of the story lifted it immensely from all the whiz bang, style over substance stuff that came out that year, and I still think that that content is its biggest surprise (for those that enjoy that approach).
    If Bridge of Spies counts, I'd probably put it in front of SP. Otherwise SP just because I'm a biased Bond fan.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    If Bridge of Spies counts, I'd probably put it in front of SP. Otherwise SP just because I'm a biased Bond fan.

I still need to get around to this one. Surprised it's yet to appear on any of my usual streaming/paid apps. Maybe one day.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 12,837

As an action film? Probably not the best (I had issues with it as a fan of the series but Mad Max Fury Road was still an incredible experience and as an action film, I'd definitely have to give it the nod over SP). But absoloutely my favourite action film of the year. It was everything I wanted it to be and I really loved it. I've said it before but SP was basically the film I'd been waiting for since CR. And definitely the best spy film of the year. I found the last MI disappointing and still haven't watched UNCLE. Kingsman was very good, a brilliant violent homage to the old Bond films, but you can't compete with the real thing when they're on top form.

It wasn't my favourite film of 2015 though. It would be but Creed came out that year and it's a similar situation for me (I love Rocky almost as much as I love Bond) and Creed was even better. Just fantastic in pretty much every way, hit all the right beats for me as a fan but also managed to do its own thing and avoid being a complete retread. Brilliantly written, shot, acted, full of heart and everything that makes those films great. Watching it in the cinema made me so unbelieveably happy, I was really happy with Rocky Balboa, thought it was a great ending and I was scared that Creed would be a cash grab (it is sort of a contrived premise) but I loved it so much.
    Room is my favorite film from 2015. Spotlight, Bridge of Spies, Inside Out, and Spectre are up there too.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    What were the others? Mission Impossible, Kingsmen... I suppose so, just.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 40,370
    'Kingsman' could be included. I'd like to include 'Sicario' since bits of the plot mirror a spy film, but it's a bit of a stretch.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    MI-RN, SW-TFA, MM-FR, Kingsman & Sicario top the list for me, followed by The Martian, The Big Short, Ex Machina, The Revenant & Bridge of Spies.
    I was mostly talking spy/action movies. Nothing could top 'Fury Road' for me that year.
    Ok then SP comes in at 5 for me behind MI-RN, MM-FR, Kingsman & Sicario.

Or 4 if you drop Sicario.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I wouldn't and couldn't readily compare SP and Mad Max. Too, too different. I keep everything to genre, regarding spy films.

As an action film? Probably not the best (I had issues with it as a fan of the series but Mad Max Fury Road was still an incredible experience and as an action film, I'd definitely have to give it the nod over SP). But absoloutely my favourite action film of the year. It was everything I wanted it to be and I really loved it. I've said it before but SP was basically the film I'd been waiting for since CR. And definitely the best spy film of the year. I found the last MI disappointing and still haven't watched UNCLE. Kingsman was very good, a brilliant violent homage to the old Bond films, but you can't compete with the real thing when they're on top form.

It wasn't my favourite film of 2015 though. It would be but Creed came out that year and it's a similar situation for me (I love Rocky almost as much as I love Bond) and Creed was even better. Just fantastic in pretty much every way, hit all the right beats for me as a fan but also managed to do its own thing and avoid being a complete retread. Brilliantly written, shot, acted, full of heart and everything that makes those films great. Watching it in the cinema made me so unbelieveably happy, I was really happy with Rocky Balboa, thought it was a great ending and I was scared that Creed would be a cash grab (it is sort of a contrived premise) but I loved it so much.
    Not to stray too far off topic, but I also liked Creed a lot better than I anticipated I would. When I saw the first commercial for it I just cringed and feared rip-off to keep the Rocky name out there for the Millennial/Generation Z crowd.

It really did have heart and added to rather than detracted from the Rocky legacy. And Stallone was ROBBED for the Best Supporting Actor Oscar.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    does anyone know why they spent so much on this movie? 200 million was the standard for QoS and SF, and yet that still wasn't enough?
    does anyone know why they spent so much on this movie? 200 million was the standard for QoS and SF, and yet that still wasn't enough?

Blowing up the Morroco base so Mendes could cream his pants.
  • BT3366 wrote: »

Not to stray too far off topic, but I also liked Creed a lot better than I anticipated I would. When I saw the first commercial for it I just cringed and feared rip-off to keep the Rocky name out there for the Millennial/Generation Z crowd.

It really did have heart and added to rather than detracted from the Rocky legacy. And Stallone was ROBBED for the Best Supporting Actor Oscar.

Completely agree, I went in with low expectations but came out blown away, and yeah I was gutted when he didn't win, he's my favourite actor and I think he's so good at playing the tough guy/action hero that people forget how genuinely talented he is. It was a great surprise just seeing him nominated though. Sort of made up for the lack of recognition he got for Rocky Balboa.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited August 2017 Posts: 9,117
    The_Donald wrote: »

53 seconds onwards is hands down more embarrassing than the kung fu schoolgirls, double take pigeon, CGI parasurfing and every word that comes out of Jinx's punchable mouth put together.

Any sign of you bothering to see how the script is coming along Sam when you've cleaned yourself up?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883

53 seconds onwards is hands down more embarrassing than the kung fu schoolgirls, double take pigeon, CGI parasurfing and every word that comes out of Jinx's punchable mouth put together.

Any sign of you bothering to see how the script is coming along Sam when you've cleaned yourself up?
    This is shocking. It's clear to me that these guys were suffering from some sort of post-SF derangement hubris here. I certainly hope they've come back down to earth, but am not holding my breath.
    I just wonder how many pusiese during the 56 years EON has cast. And also, what the director's experiences were with the Persian pusiese.

Going a bit necro in here, but several days ago I read on YT comments (not a very reliable source to be fair) that

1. Sam Mendes says the cat survived at the end (as we know, Blofeld's kitties are forever), and

2. A person claimed she or he knew the lady who owned the cat, so it can be inferred there was only one feline actor in SP.
    Did someone delete my post about Blofeld's pussies??
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

What did he want, a medal or something..?
    He wanted a world record.
    I'm surprised he wasn't there for the award ceremony (last shot at 1:07).
    He is too modest
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 37
    I think Spectre is just fantastic. My fourth fave Bond film after OHMSS,CR,SKYFALL. With Living Daylights/Licence to Kill at 5/6.

1.Pre title sequence is just gobsmacking, love the Mexican locale, the helicopter fight, 007 looking at the spectre ring, all of the day of the dead stuff. Stunning.

2.Love The DVD from M, Moneypenny visiting the flat scene. Homage to Live And Let Die

3.All of The Rome stuff is just fantastic. Monica Belluci, a little underused but terrific. The Spectre table scene, and Bautista's horrible blinding/Waltz introduction. Terrific car chase

4. Mr White's return. Really well acted scene between him and Craig

5. Loved the plane crash into the alpine village. Really Exciting

6. Train Fight is a classic, nearly up there with From Russia With Loves train fight. Just wish it was a tad longer, and a better end to such carnage. Or is Hinx alive for Bond 25? hope so

7.Christopher Waltz Blofeld is really good. Really evil. The scene where he plays the death of Mr White, shows what a sadist he is.

8.Love the blowing up of Blofelds base. I agree with some that this whole scene should have been the end of the film, setting up the next film with Blofelds escape.

The only thing I was disappointed with slightly, is Bond leaving Blofeld alive. He would have shot him dead, no doubt about that. All in all, I think Spectre is a great Bond film, endlessly rewatchable, with Craig on top of his game. Just hope we get Craig back with Bond 25. Fingers crossed.
    phibes72 wrote: »
    I think Spectre is just fantastic. My fourth fave Bond film after OHMSS,CR,SKYFALL. With Living Daylights/Licence to Kill at 5/6.

1.Pre title sequence is just gobsmacking, love the Mexican locale, the helicopter fight, 007 looking at the spectre ring, all of the day of the dead stuff. Stunning.

2.Love The DVD from M, Moneypenny visiting the flat scene. Homage to Live And Let Die

3.All of The Rome stuff is just fantastic. Monica Belluci, a little underused but terrific. The Spectre table scene, and Bautista's horrible blinding/Waltz introduction. Terrific car chase

4. Mr White's return. Really well acted scene between him and Craig

5. Loved the plane crash into the alpine village. Really Exciting

6. Train Fight is a classic, nearly up there with From Russia With Loves train fight. Just wish it was a tad longer, and a better end to such carnage. Or is Hinx alive for Bond 25? hope so

7.Christopher Waltz Blofeld is really good. Really evil. The scene where he plays the death of Mr White, shows what a sadist he is.

8.Love the blowing up of Blofelds base. I agree with some that this whole scene should have been the end of the film, setting up the next film with Blofelds escape.

The only thing I was disappointed with slightly, is Bond leaving Blofeld alive. He would have shot him dead, no doubt about that. All in all, I think Spectre is a great Bond film, endlessly rewatchable, with Craig on top of his game. Just hope we get Craig back with Bond 25. Fingers crossed.

Good for you. Theres a lot of animosity for SP, and some of us still love it! Not Craigs best but more entertaining than SF.
    Nice to count you as a fellow fan, @Mathis1. You and @royale65 where fans I never knew the movie had, so good to know you're out there sharing what you love about it.
    Pretty much what phibes72 says. It does go downhill after the torture scene but the previous 2 hrs i really enjoy! Still struggle with SF. Love Craig in it but its only enjoyable in places!