No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I thought @QuantumOrganization predicted the first announcement that came last month? If so he must know something about the second one coming.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    I thought @QuantumOrganization predicted the first announcement that came last month? If so he must know something about the second one coming.
    I predicted the announcement last month just because it would line up when they announced spectre. My opinion is Craig will give a consensus after Logan Lucky is over and done with
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    shamanimal wrote: »
    I have to ask .. why is everyone talking about Madelaine Swan coming back? In almost all the other Bond films he ends up with a girl, who is gone by the next movie without explanation. Why couldn't the happen in the next one?

Because he left the service for her at the end of the movie. This time it's different.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I predicted the announcement last month just because it would line up when they announced spectre. My opinion is Craig will give a consensus after Logan Lucky is over and done with
    Very reasonable analysis and conclusion. I concur.

You're also correct that the 'release date' announcement in July coincides perfectly with when the announced SP's release date in 2013. The only difference this time is that they have to get the director lined up (they knew it would be Mendes in 2013).

I believe they will announce distributor, director and lead actor all at once.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    bondjames wrote: »

You're also correct that the 'release date' announcement in July coincides perfectly with when the announced SP's release date in 2013. The only difference this time is that they have to get the director lined up (they knew it would be Mendes in 2013).

Not sure about director, only actor and distributor.

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    echo wrote: »
    shamanimal wrote: »
    I have to ask .. why is everyone talking about Madelaine Swan coming back? In almost all the other Bond films he ends up with a girl, who is gone by the next movie without explanation. Why couldn't the happen in the next one?

Because he left the service for her at the end of the movie. This time it's different.

MI6's reaction to Bond "coming back" for the second time

Brian Blessed for Bond #7:

"I have a reservation. MY NAME IS BOND, JAMES BOND!!!!!!!111111"
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 3,333
    peter wrote: »
    I'm not sure we can assume Craig is dictating the start of productions on these films? I thought, up until very recently, that distribution was holding up the start of B25? And the long hiatus between QoS and SF also seemed out of DC's control?...

So, you may be tired of DC in the role, gentlemen, but bashing him for holding up productions of the Bond films seems wholly unfair.
    Sure, it's been recorded that the production of Skyfall was delayed for several months in 2010-11 due to the bankruptcy and delayed sale of studio Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer with the production being officially suspended on 19 April 2010. There's no disputing that as that was the press release from producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson, for the film, then known as 'Bond 23'. Which brings me to Bond 25 and lack of clarification. The only announcement we got at the end of Bond 24 was that Craig was unhappy in the role - wrist-slashing and that it would "only be for the money" and that "all I want to do is move on" comments springs to mind.

Since then it's been pretty much radio silence from the producers, other than saying they still were hopeful of Craig returning. Still rumors continued to persist that Craig was done with Bond until his comments about having the "best job in the world". Sure, I bet it is. What other job does an employer give you long sabbaticals and rewards you with an eye-watering mega bucks contract after saying such disparaging remarks about it? Try it in your own workplace @peter - just as a fun exercise.

I have no doubt that the continued MGM partnership fiasco has a huge part to play in Bond 25's delay - alongside the uncertainty of whether Craig will commit. But why didn't producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson release a similar press release about the reasons for the Bond 25 delay as they did for Skyfall? The only thing I can recall reading was that Barbara Broccoli was currently in production on some movie called "Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool," starring Jamie Bell and Annette Bening, and according to a certain tabloid, a source close to Broccoli, said the producer was planning on producing two other projects before jumping back into Bond. "It will give her time to work out a script and try to convince Daniel [Craig] to maybe return," the source told the tabloid.

Also @peter, why didn't Craig himself come out and say he wasn't sure about when the next Bond film would be made due to the uncertainty of its distributor and that he was up for another? This is hardly classified information that would jeopardize a nation or break a studio deal? It wouldn't have taken him more than five seconds to set the record straight. Personally, I'm not "bashing him" for the film's delay, I'm targeting the producers for not having the cajones to find a replacement and making a proper announcement. I couldn't give two figs about "Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool" as I'm sure the majority of other Bond fans don't either, or the other slated vanity projects for that matter. And to think, dear old Harry Saltzman got internal grief over his other side projects from Cubby, and now his daughter is doing the exact same thing to his beloved franchise.

So far, I've read nothing about Bond 25 to yet get excited about. The long hiatus hasn't helped.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

Wait they still dont have a distributor?
    Is it looking like Sony will come back or will it be Warner Brothers or something
  • Further reinforcing the fact that the past partnership between EON/Sony had been positive. Is this their ticket in securing a Bond 25 deal?

Sony Pictures Classics confirms acquisition of Annette Bening starrer ‘Film Stars Don’t Die in Liverpool

http://deadline.com/2017/08/annette-bening-film-stars-dont-die-in-liverpool-sony-pictures-classics-distribution-deal-1202136294/

• RC7RC7

You said it was Demange on the previous page. Keep up.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 11,425
    Wonder whether Felix will make an appearance in B25. Jeffrey Wright is due a return IMO. Would be nice to see him back.
  • RC7RC7
    Getafix wrote: »
    Wonder whether Felix will make an appearance in B25. Jeffrey Wright is due a return IMO. Would be nice to see him back.

Yeah, would like to see Felix again.

RC7 wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »

Yeah, would like to see Felix again.

Count me in for that. Good idea.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

How dare you question the oracle's credibility!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @bondsum, I have no answers to your questions. I don't know what's going on in Craig's head. I was just pointing out that actual delays seem to be out of his control.

And if the producers want to wait for an actor, or a director, that's absolutely their right. I don't have a say in that, one way or the other. They know what's going on behind the scenes. I don't.

I also can't get in DC's head and surmise why he said what he said about the wrist-slashing comment, other than to say: it sounded like an ill-timed joke, by an actor who just finished a nine month shoot, which he came out of with a blown knee that required surgery.

I personally didn't find it a funny, but I never once took it seriously either. Say what you want about Craig, but he wasn't trying to sabotage his, or his fellow cast and crew's, work on the film. My guess it was a joke from a guy who was tired.

Unfortunately it's the quote heard around the world now, because people delight in the negative. The entire thing's been blown out of proportion. But, when the time comes, and if he is still Bond, it will be coming like a steam train, he will have to answer for it.

Personally, I could care less. I love him in the role and welcome him back, as an admirer of his work in the role.

But that's just my opinion. I understand all those who want the change; most of what they have said is reasonable and makes perfect sense. I just don't park myself in that camp. I enjoy DC as Bond immensely, and would have no problem seeing him suit up for one or two more films-- especially if we get a director who brings him full circle and delivers him back to his gritty performance (after all, I'm guessing any filmmaker taking on B25 looks at CR as being the template of this Bond era; SF was, and is, a Sam Mendes film, but CR is a Bond film, and best exemplifies what can be done with the character).
    peter wrote: »
    @bondsum, I have no answers to your questions. I don't know what's going on in Craig's head. I was just pointing out that actual delays seem to be out of his control.

And if the producers want to wait for an actor, or a director, that's absolutely their right. I don't have a say in that, one way or the other. They know what's going on behind the scenes. I don't.

I also can't get in DC's head and surmise why he said what he said about the wrist-slashing comment, other than to say: it sounded like an ill-timed joke, by an actor who just finished a nine month shoot, which he came out of with a blown knee that required surgery.

I personally didn't find it a funny, but I never once took it seriously either. Say what you want about Craig, but he wasn't trying to sabotage his, or his fellow cast and crew's, work on the film. My guess it was a joke from a guy who was tired.

Unfortunately it's the quote heard around the world now, because people delight in the negative. The entire thing's been blown out of proportion. But, when the time comes, and if he is still Bond, it will be coming like a steam train, he will have to answer for it.

Personally, I could care less. I love him in the role and welcome him back, as an admirer of his work in the role.

But that's just my opinion. I understand all those who want the change; most of what they have said is reasonable and makes perfect sense. I just don't park myself in that camp. I enjoy DC as Bond immensely, and would have no problem seeing him suit up for one or two more films-- especially if we get a director who brings him full circle and delivers him back to his gritty performance (after all, I'm guessing any filmmaker taking on B25 looks at CR as being the template of this Bond era; SF was, and is, a Sam Mendes film, but CR is a Bond film, and best exemplifies what can be done with the character).

They need a line in the Bond/Moneypenny repartee in Bond 25 where Bond responds by saying 'I'd rather slash my wrists'.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Dennison, that would certainly poke an eye of those that aren't happy with Craig!... It would get the angry froth really going!
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 1,661
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Brian Blessed for Bond #7:

"I have a reservation. MY NAME IS BOND, JAMES BOND!!!!!!!111111"

It was worth 917 pages of this thread for that joke, Matt!
    edited August 2017 Posts: 1,575
    Eon's a MADHOUSE, like this thread............. :)
    edited August 2017 Posts: 1,187

It was an obvious joke.

It was an obvious joke.

How was that an obvious joke?

How dare you question the oracle's credibility!
    I see the internet tough guy is back.

Is it looking like Sony will come back or will it be Warner Brothers or something
    I think they have the distributor, but they just haven't announced it yet. I believe they will announce distributor, lead actor and director all at once at some point in the future. If I were to hazard a guess, it's probably the director that hasn't truly been locked yet, and that in turn will influence the actor (imho, since Craig likely will commit based on the director choice).

I think they have the distributor, but they just haven't announced it yet. I believe they will announce distributor, lead actor and director all at once at some point in the future. If I were to hazard a guess, it's probably the director that hasn't truly been locked yet, and that in turn will influence the actor (imho, since Craig likely will commit based on the director choice).

So we seriously need to consider Steven Soderbergh then?

So we seriously need to consider Steven Soderbergh then?
    I would surely be in favour of him, but unless EON are really good at keeping things under wraps, it's probably among the top three that have been mentioned (Demange, Villeneuve & Mackenzie).

I am still trying to consider what that means, particularly if it's Demange or Mackenzie. That would imply that Craig has decided to work with someone he is not familiar with on the biggest production that he will be involved with in two years time. Unusual to say the least.
    It would be great if Villeneuve did a Bond film.
  • RC7RC7

It was an obvious joke.

Yeah, really obvious.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I think @bondjames, and once again, to always clarify, this is my opinion only; what this means is a return to gritty-- Demange and MacKenzie seem to like character, rough n tumble type films, on a smaller scale (that's why there's the second unit!), whereas Villeneuve knows how to do spectacle, but has shown he doesn't shy away from character-pieces that are raw and gritty (Sicario and The Prisoner)... All three, I would think, are very good choices, and I would rank as following (favorite to least favorite):

1. Villeneuve (who also worked with DC's counter-part, Hugh Jackman, and got one helluva performance out of one helluva an actor!; I also loved what Jake did with his role as well)
    2. Demange-- don't know a lot about, but I like his attitude, his youth (therefore injecting much needed energy into the next film)
    3. MacKenzie (just wonderful work in Hell or High Water; was surprised that Pine has the chops!)
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    @peter, I understand that and agree with you. My point was more about Craig (a man who hasn't made too many films in the last 6 years) agreeing to work with Mackenzie or Demange on a Bond film.

I can understand Villeneuve, because he has a history of being able to 'scale up' or down and do 'gritty' along with 'fantasy' (particularly with Bladerunner coming out shortly). The other two, I don't know. They seem more 'B' movie than 'A' list directors, particularly for a Craig Bond film (following two Mendes box office killers). A risk.

Unless both Demange and Mackenzie are red herrings, and Villeneuve is the man.