"007 in New York" First Publication

"007 in New York" was first published in the New York Herald Tribune in 1963. That's a fact. However, some sources claim it was in September 1963, others in October 1963.

Does anyone know the exact date?

Comments

October of 1963 - According to Lucy Fleming, The original story was called 'Reflections in a Carey Cadillac’.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Well it was written by Fleming on 20 August 1963 according to Peter Janson-Smith's introduction to '007 in New York' in the newer Penguin editions of Octopussy.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Well it was written by Fleming on 20 August 1963 according to Peter Janson-Smith's introduction to '007 in New York' in the newer Penguin editions of Octopussy.

I have put in an inquiry to Ian Fleming publication. The Audio book edition says 10/63. Lucy Fleming has such a wonderful voice, by the way.
    Dragonpol said:

Quite, but I'm really trying to find out the exact date of the first publication (day, month). In the same introduction, Janson-Smith wrote the story had been published in October 1963.

On the other hand, in Ian Fleming: The Bibliography, Jon Gilbert said it had been published in September 1963. (Unfortunately, I don't have the book, it's possible that he does give the exact date elsewhere in the text. And yes, I did try to contact him, but there was no reply to my inquiry.)
    Perdogg said:
    I have put in an inquiry to Ian Fleming publication. The Audio book edition says 10/63.
    Thank you so much, hopefully we'll get an answer soon.
  • 007InVT007InVT Classified
    I have Oct 63 as well
  • 007InVT007InVT Classified
    Would love to know exact day though
    I will everyone know.
    edited May 2015 Posts: 17,727
    It seems that October 1963 was the correct date though I will also conduct some further research into the matter and report back to this thread.
    The exact date for "The Living Daylights" first publication was Feb 4, 1962.
    Perdogg wrote: »
    The exact date for "The Living Daylights" first publication was Feb 4, 1962.

Thanks for that!

If it was in the NY Herald Tribune in Oct of 1963 it would have been published, most likely, on the 6, 13,20, or 27. Unfortunately, very few, if any, internet archives have it.
    @ Perdogg

Any news from the IFP?
    When were POAL and OP short stories first published?
    Does anyone know off top of head?
    POAL: November 1963
    OP: 4-9 October 1965
    thanks @kenhelm!
    I am resurrecting this thread to provide some correct information. First off, "OO7 in New York" was published on September 29, 1963.
    I know this because I recently looked through several weeks of microfilm of The New York Herald Tribune at the Stanford University Library. The story was published in the Sunday edition of the paper.
    I was not doing this because of any interest in "OO7 in New York." I was actually looking for a long-lost interview with Fleming that appeared in the same paper sometime before Oct. 9 1963. Fleming references this interview in The Man With the Golden Typewriter.
    Alas, going through microfilm is a tedious and time-consuming task, and I did not have enough time to find this interview. If anyone has a clue as to its exact date, I would be most grateful.
    Don't it was call Agent 007 in New York rather than 007 in New York in the Herald ?
    kenhelm wrote: »
    "007 in New York" was first published in the New York Herald Tribune in 1963. That's a fact. However, some sources claim it was in September 1963, others in October 1963.

Does anyone know the exact date?

@Revelator has confirmed September 1963.
    September 29 to be exact!