No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

I think those expecting a stand alone if Craig returns are bound to be disappointed
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Getafix wrote: »
    I think those expecting a stand alone if Craig returns are bound to be disappointed
    I agree. He's probably read the comments from some who believe he phoned it in (I'm one of them) and hopefully cares. I'm pretty certain he will want to dig deep again. Hopefully he does that on the gritty end rather than the weepish one. Yann Demange offers hope, based on what I've been able to research.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Yes, probably never happen. But will audiences really give a toss about Blowers and Maddy?
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands

I don't expect it, but I do hope it. :)
    Be here Late August early September.

What year? ;)
    royale65 wrote: »
    Roadphill wrote: »
    I think the best course of action would be a clean sweep, standalone mission. Throw in an offhand comment about Blofeld still being incarcerated and Bond leaving Madeline early, and lets forget the po faced nonsense we have had for the last 3 films.

Please EON give us a good old fashioned Bond film.

Yes please.

Agreed. . . and yet: in terms of narrative, this is actually a somewhat risky course for the film makers. The conservative approach would simply be to build on the stuff that's already been put in place by the previous movies.

A standalone mission really only 'works' if it's excellent. Whereas a sequel just has to be good enough.

I'm struck again by how thoroughly EON have wrong-footed themselves. Granted, the last two films made $2 billion, so they're still doing just fine. But in storytelling terms things are so much more difficult now than they have to be.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    bondsum wrote: »
    Ah yes, Swan's strong independent woman saved Bond with his own explosive watch. Thanks for reminding me @FoxRox. But as you quite rightly pointed out, it was Bond that had to save her sorry independent ass from getting blown up at the very end. The French actress also had this to say about her multilayered character: “I think she is distinct from all the others. She’s not really a Bond girl – she’s a real character,” said one of the most bland actresses to ever grace a recent Bond movie in living memory. She's got a nerve, I'll give her that much, and she's clearly never watched a Bond picture otherwise she'd never made such an asinine remark. Just how can anyone warm to an actress that hasn't even bothered to do her homework? Beats me, but I'm sure there'll be some here on the forums that think she's everything that she says she is and defend her.

On a serious note, I really wished that Broccoli and co had the cojones to move on without Craig, especially as he's not too concerned about reprising his role unless he's given an incredibly long sabbatical to recharge his creative juices. It kind of reminds me of the late Roger Moore years when Cubby was too scared to replace Moore for fear of poor BO results. But at least with RM he didn't dictate to Eon when the next movie should be made, he quickly signed on and got the ball moving swiftly. The same cannot be said of the current star.

Amazing post.

---

As for Craig's two picture thing, I honestly can't imagine anything more anticlimactic than to have had all that speculation about the next Bond, all of this secrecy, mind making up debacle only to have Craig say oh yeah it was all a load of bollocks I'm actually back.
    octofinger wrote: »
    I'm struck again by how thoroughly EON have wrong-footed themselves. Granted, the last two films made $2 billion, so they're still doing just fine. But in storytelling terms things are so much more difficult now than they have to be.
    Agreed, and keep in mind that the $2bn is gross revenue (before accounting for costs), and spread over 7 years (2008, when QoS wrapped, to 2015 when SP was released). Sony didn't really make too much over that timeline, from what I understand.
    I think it might be kind of cool to have Bond exposed to a mission before he is even assigned to it. And have the film segmented into three parts: Happenstance, Coincidence, and Enemy Action. The happenstance part would be where is happens across a plot that becomes clear (or clearer) at the coincidence point in Act 2. Then he is officially assigned as an agent in Enemy Action.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Whichever option makes the least amount of Bond fans happy, that's the one EON will take. I'm guessing a love drama between Bond and Maddy for the first 90 minutes, then Bond breaks with Maddy and goes on a bender for 2 months, decides to rejoin the service as a last resort, about to begin his first standalone mission when Blofeld escapes prison and captures Maddy. Its Bond going after Blofeld again, but this time its personal. Heralded by Bond fans as a triumph of ambitious filmmaking that went slightly awry in the edit.
    I wonder if Craig's peeved he didn't get even a whiff of an Oscar over the years, despite all the efforts at 'reforming' & 'reinventing' Bond.

Adele and Smith (shockingly imho) did, but sadly the crew in front of the camera have been ignored. The closest has been a few BAFTAs (Babs is now VP for Film at BAFTA btw).
    Here's a prediction for you: no 'in front of the camera' crew on any Bond film will get an Oscar nod, ever.

That's not how the Academy rolls.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    IF this two pic deal is real, I think it's Bab's way of being highly unimpressed with potential candidates-- after all, she is a savvy businesswoman. I honestly have to believe if there genuinely was an heir apparent, she would have pulled the trigger (no matter how she feels about DC).

As it stands, he's her safest option as far as business goes. This also gives her team time to search for a crop of genuine candidates (gods only know the ones we have batted about here range from terrible, to, I certainly-hope-not).

Craig's a great actor, and as @bondjames already stated, hopefully he comes back to prove SP to be a blip on his tenure; I too hope he comes back to the gritty ways of the first two films. A rugged, aging agent; no, not what we had seen in SF. No, this DC-Bond is still dangerous, still talented, still the best. But, perhaps, the arrogance seen in CR is now on the other side of the ledger: he's seen everything and nothing surprises him. This is his hubris and Achilles...
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I still say we're lucky if we get Craig back for one let alone two. But a lot of sources are running with this report it seems.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    bondsum wrote: »
    Ah yes, Swan's strong independent woman saved Bond with his own explosive watch. Thanks for reminding me @FoxRox. But as you quite rightly pointed out, it was Bond that had to save her sorry independent ass from getting blown up at the very end. The French actress also had this to say about her multilayered character: “I think she is distinct from all the others. She’s not really a Bond girl – she’s a real character,” said one of the most bland actresses to ever grace a recent Bond movie in living memory. She's got a nerve, I'll give her that much, and she's clearly never watched a Bond picture otherwise she'd never made such an asinine remark. Just how can anyone warm to an actress that hasn't even bothered to do her homework? Beats me, but I'm sure there'll be some here on the forums that think she's everything that she says she is and defend her.

On a serious note, I really wished that Broccoli and co had the cojones to move on without Craig, especially as he's not too concerned about reprising his role unless he's given an incredibly long sabbatical to recharge his creative juices. It kind of reminds me of the late Roger Moore years when Cubby was too scared to replace Moore for fear of poor BO results. But at least with RM he didn't dictate to Eon when the next movie should be made, he quickly signed on and got the ball moving swiftly. The same cannot be said of the current star.

Amazing post.

---

As for Craig's two picture thing, I honestly can't imagine anything more anticlimactic than to have had all that speculation about the next Bond, all of this secrecy, mind making up debacle only to have Craig say oh yeah it was all a load of bollocks I'm actually back.

I'd take that over him deciding for two years, just to bail on the position.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I'm with you @DonnyDB5 ... especially if there's a true grit that returns to the stories-- that's when DC's best, IMHO...
    @peter absolutely! I'd be ecstatic if he comes back for two. Man what a treat that would be, and a nice surprise!
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    @peter absolutely! I'd be ecstatic if he comes back for two. Man what a treat that would be, and a nice surprise!
    Hardly a surprise though. It's been rumoured since 2016, on and off (the two picture deal that is).
    I wonder if he does 2 more films,he might be tempted to equal Sir Roger's 7 films.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Yes @DonnyDB5 , I'm a big fan of his work, but especially as Bond. Although I understand where others are coming from (with a change of actor; these members make perfect sense), I've always been in the camp that hoped to see Craig do at least one more (it didn't help that I found the candidates terrible).
    I haven't been ready to say good bye to Craig just yet (and when the day comes, I know I will be quite sad)!
    Wasn't it MGW who said they wanted him to do 7?
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 684
    peter wrote: »
    IF this two pic deal is real, I think it's Bab's way of being highly unimpressed with potential candidates-- after all, she is a savvy businesswoman. I honestly have to believe if there genuinely was an heir apparent, she would have pulled the trigger (no matter how she feels about DC).
    @peter While I do think Barbara loves Craig and the work he's done, I would speculatively agree with this. The four year gap might turn out to be less Barbara's waiting on Craig out of an insistence on/love for his Bond and more of a means towards lowering her risk (which becomes especially important if she is planning to sell).
  • Getafix wrote: »

Actually, eight. He said he hoped Craig would beat Moore's record for number of films.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Actually, eight. He said he hoped Craig would beat Moore's record for number of films.

That definitely won't happen. So wait, this two-picture deal left for Craig, is it merely a rumor or something all but confirmed at this point? Would it shoot back-to-back or no clue?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Creasy47 wrote: »

That definitely won't happen. So wait, this two-picture deal left for Craig, is it merely a rumor or something all but confirmed at this point? Would it shoot back-to-back or no clue?
    Merely a rumor.
    @QuantumOrganization any thoughts on two from Craig?
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Fatal car accident.
    Comes out as gay.
    Revealed as already married or engaged.
    Head injury and resultant coma or amnesia.
    Unstated irreconcilable differences.
    Desires an open relationship James can't support.
    Her cats can't take living with Bond (or the reverse).
    Stricture of inheritance clauses preclude the relationship.
    Many reasons Madeleine might not return, all could happen off-screen.
    So we wait.
    RC7 wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    I honestly don't think EON care. Neither does Craig. They tend to do what they what when they want. I know others hate that, I don't particularly mind it. If Bond himself was being crowed at for answers I'm pretty sure he'd act in much the same way, 'You'll have them when I'm ready. In the meantime, go **** yourself'. Because behind the scenes they know exactly what's happening.

What? SP production was a rushed mess. QoS production was a rushed mess. TND production was a rushed mess. DAD and TWINE are considered two lesser Bond films by most fans. The only other films produced by Barbara and Michael went through 4 years of gestation. I have no idea why you continue to come out to bat for EON, as if each film is a grand vision that they have planned to the last detail, until something inevitably out of their hands mucks it up. Can't catch a break these lot, eh? Best laid plans and all that. Fate isn't half cruel to this bunch of world class professionals.

Where exactly do I state each film is a grand vision? What I say is that they know exactly what's happening. The 'what's happening' bit may be good or bad. In fact it's likely an equal amount of both.

The key point I'm making is that you, me, or anyone else aren't entitled to know their business dealings. If they don't want to elaborate, then good for them. I really don't care.

This is less about me batting for EON, more about me understanding the absolute nightmare task of getting something like this out of the blocks and onto a screen. Believe it or not, mate, they don't give two f**** what you make of their abilities, or lack of. Quit your waffle and your insistence on making something out of sweet FA.

I love your Moonraker poster above your fireplace :-). You're a cosy, yet entirely realistic man @RC7 :-)
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    barryt007 wrote: »
    This just in from the Evening Standard :

Daniel Craig ‘signs up for two more James Bond films’ after being persuaded to return to franchise .

Daniel Craig has reportedly signed a contract to star in two more James Bond films after being persuaded by producers.

Despite being on the verge of quitting the franchise following the release of Spectre, the British actor is now expected to appear in two further 007 movies.

According to reports, Barbara Broccoli has been in negotiations with Craig to up his total to six films, including 2019’s recently announced Bond 25.

“There was plenty of talk about who would be the next Bond but Barbara has managed to talk Daniel into two more films,” a source told The Sun.

“He is loved by audiences around the world and has driven a real resurgence for the movies at the box office, so bosses knew they couldn’t lose him just yet.”

Reports suggest that one of the reasons behind Craig’s U-turn is the fact that Sam Mendes stepped down as director after Spectre.

“Daniel and Sam were best buddies when they first started working together and you would constantly see them laughing and joking,” said the insider.

“But after filming had been going on for a while, things started to change. There were a few areas in which they had very different creative opinions and their friendship did become strained.”

The studio recently announced that the 25th Bond film will hit cinemas on November 8 2019, although the cast and director are yet to be officially revealed.

"James Bond will return to US cinemas on November 8, 2019 with a traditional earlier release in the UK and the rest of the world,” read a tweet posted to the franchise’s official account.

Studio bosses went on to say that international release dates and a cast list would be announced “at a later date”.

There's the same story in the Daily Mail...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4766458/Daniel-Craig-signs-TWO-James-Bond-movies.html

Didn't take much notice to be honest....
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Her cats can't take living with Bond (or the reverse).

Tanner: "So, it didn't work out with Dr. Swann?"
    Bond: "No. Her pussies didn't like me."