How should Bond die, if at all?

ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
in Bond 26 & Beyond Posts: 45,489
Following a certain film, won t mention it as it is spoilerish, but there are other examples in other franchises as well of the hero dying at some point( He will usually get resurrected/rebooted of course)., there has been some speculation about Bond following this route for a final film in the present timeline.

If it were to happen, how would you prefer it to happen? Feel free to throw the whole idea under the bus, make a joke or come up with a serious suggestion.

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Of old age only.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Of old age only.

Would you want to see it in a film?
    Of old age only.

Would you want to see it in a film?

No, that would be more one for a short story I think, if at all. But Bond never dies, he's an immortal character in that sense, no matter who writes his adventures or plays him on film.
    How about the bird flu?
    How about the bird flu?

He could have caught it from Dr No's guano mound I suppose...
    How about the bird flu?

Or his chicken farm.

I posted this in a film thread, but if you don t want it to happen in the films, but could see it in a book, chime in as well. I am not a nazi.
    How about the bird flu?

Or his chicken farm.

I posted this in a film thread, but if you don t want it to happen in the films, but could see it in a book, chime in as well. I am not a nazi.

Heinrich Himmler's?
    Himmler had a chicken farm?
    Himmler had a chicken farm?

Yes, he was a failed chicken farmer before he moved on to more serious and deadly matters as Head of the SS.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    How about the bird flu?

Or his chicken farm.

Heinrich Himmler's?

Beat me to it there Draggers.

Himmler would've been a fabulous Bond villain!
    How about the bird flu?

Or his chicken farm.

Heinrich Himmler's?

Beat me to it there Draggers.

Himmler would've been a fabulous Bond villain!

As it was, Hitler booked him to appear in his show first.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    They shouldn't do it of course, but if they did it would have to be somewhat ambiguous and open to interpretation lest people started believing in the code name theory.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    He's died at least twice in the films. We've had the metaphorical death in YOLT (arguably in SF too) and depending on your definition of the term, in CR (2006) when his heart stops beating.
    pachazo wrote: »
    They shouldn't do it of course, but if they did it would have to be somewhat ambiguous and open to interpretation lest people started believing in the code name theory.

And that would be a fate even worse than James Bond's death! :)
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 12,914
    He's died at least twice in the films. We've had the metaphorical death in YOLT (arguably in SF too) and depending on your definition of the term, in CR (2006) when his heart stops beating.
    Add DAD (2002), the very previous film.

Ambiguous is best. Even off screen. Then James Bond Will Return.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Not sure if this was already posted on this site though read this on JB radio a month ago, I don't subscribe to the theory though a fitting way for Bond to exit...

http://jamesbondradio.com/james-bond-killed-off-view-kill/
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer

Ambiguous is best. Even off screen. Then James Bond Will Return.

Good catch.
    Not sure if this was already posted on this site though read this on JB radio a month ago, I don't subscribe to the theory though a fitting way for Bond to exit...

http://jamesbondradio.com/james-bond-killed-off-view-kill/

Pretty far fetched.
    pachazo wrote: »

Like the ending of FRWL, the novel.

Or his chicken farm.

Heinrich Himmler's?
    Bond will return (but only just) in...DEATH AMONG THE CHICKENS, in which our hero finds himself unwittingly tagging along on holiday to Himmler's chicken farm in Dorset. The bulk of the plot concerns the farm's struggles in the midst of a global downturn in the criminal chicken biz, along with Himmler's attempts to woo the the girl next door. Ultimately Himmler finds love, but too late, having killed Bond in a sweat box (but not before preparing a marinade with a little salt, pepper, quarter tsp. of paprika, cup olive oil, poured over Bond in zip top bag).

Also teasing the idea in the FRWL pre-credits, the first few frames of TB, and the SF pre-creds.
    If it was handled like the end of THE DARK KNIGHT RISES, would that be ambiguous enough?
  • DrunkIrishPoetDrunkIrishPoet The Amber Coast
    How should Bond die? Gloriously, of course.
    He makes the ultimate sacrifice and pays the ultimate price. To save the world one last time. To serve his country, to rescue his friends, and to save the life of a beautiful woman who loves him very much.
    Dedicated and determined to the very end, he does what no one else will do—what no one else can do—and he does it without hesitation. He grits his teeth, adjusts his cufflinks, and mutters “The things I do for England…!” And then he disappears: into the Inferno, into the Abyss.
    “James! No!”
    There will not be a dry eye in the house.
    Most Important Bond Film. Ever.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited August 2017 Posts: 7,946
    I'd rather see Bond in the same vein as Mad Max: a mythical person, who's exploits are talked about in legends. That's why the Bond-films don't make for one big story, as the legends have all led their own way. There's a grain of 'truth'in all of them. And like Mad Max, Bond could at one point dissapear (much like in the novel YOLT). He isn't dead, he just happens to trot off to his arch enemy without a memory of what happened before.....

(again, Fleming knows best!)
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    How should Bond die? Gloriously, of course.
    He makes the ultimate sacrifice and pays the ultimate price. To save the world one last time. To serve his country, to rescue his friends, and to save the life of a beautiful woman who loves him very much.
    Dedicated and determined to the very end, he does what no one else will do—what no one else can do—and he does it without hesitation. He grits his teeth, adjusts his cufflinks, and mutters “The things I do for England…!” And then he disappears: into the Inferno, into the Abyss.
    “James! No!”
    There will not be a dry eye in the house.
    Most Important Bond Film. Ever.

That's the only way to do it. By coolly lighting a fag under the tail of the Moonraker.
  • Sid47Sid47 Uk
    How about the US have a intelligence leak and expose bond and a hit man is send to kill him and we can thank the US for leaking and killing bond
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Sid47 wrote: »
    How about the US have a intelligence leak and expose bond and a hit man is send to kill him and we can thank the US for leaking and killing bond

No, that wouldn't work, that would make a Bourne movie.
    Heart failure from too much booze and cigarettes.
  • He'd die in action. Bond has had a couple of opportunities to get out but it always goes wrong for him somehow (Vesper, Gala, Tracy, and if Craig returns then something will probably happen with Madeline). And he wouldn't want a desk job no matter how old he gets.

I think he'd stay on until he's really too old for field work. M has been ordered to put him out to pasture but gives him one last mission for old times sake. It seems like a simple job but soon enough Bond finds out the world is at stake. He finishes the job but dies in the process.

This is something I've thought about a lot and my idea would be that during this mission, he's uncovered the villains plan, escaped by the skin of his teeth and ends up back in London. He's given MI6 all the information they need to take the villain down but Bond, despite the protests of Moneypenny and whoever, insists he's going to finish the job himself. Maybe they're preparing troops for a big assault but he knows that'll just tip the villain off and he'll launch the nukes or whatever. He heads to the villain's base, getting there before the soldiers and manages to stop the villain's plan. He's captured but then the soldiers storm the base ala YOLT and gives him a chance to kill the bad guy. He does, but during the fight he's injured and the base is blowing up because of the battle. He tries to save himself but in the end realises he doesn't have time to escape. So he finally slumps down against a wall and lights one last cigarette as the base explodes around him, content with having saved the world one last time.
    That's a good finish. I'd still want it followed by JAMES BOND WILL RETURN...
    After weeks of not hearing from Bond since he completed his last mission and left with the girl du jour, M dispatches 009 to find him. 009 investigates and discovers Bond is in a yacht in the Mediterranean Sea. He infiltrates it, enters the bedroom, opens the closet door and Bond falls on the floor. He is definitely dead: his eyes are rolled up and he has a stupid smile on his face. "At least he stayed Onatopp of things," 009 jokes.

"009 WILL RETURN"
    And now, the end is near
    And so I face the final curtain
    My friend, I'll say it clear
    I'll state my case, of which I'm certain...