No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Craig won't do back to backs but could do two more. Plenty of time
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    timmer wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    It's actually SeaFire. According to The Mirror anyway.
    John Gardner's SeaFire caper by the villain (eco-terrorism, creating an oil disaster to apply a supposed remedy and claim victory plus a hero's crown) is a decent concept to pursue.

I very much enjoyed your blog post on SeaFire from 7 August 2012, @Dragonpol. Very interesting the relations you report to World War II and even Dunkirk. And I work in the petroleum world, so all that background was great to see.

ed09e103f1774df7280e8f642e3424d7--james-bond-a-fan.jpgb?b=RkSL2NSx4Vg3CLHP2XGvnw&cache=14916890571358564.jpg

'Shocking thriller' is about right. Terrible, terrible book even by later era Gardner standards. After Win, Lose or Die there's only Death is Forever and parts of The Man From Barbarossa that hold up. Brokenclaw, Never Send Flowers, Seafire and Cold are all awful.

Nice Pan cover mock up though.
    timmer wrote: »
    antovolk wrote: »
    Of course that torture scene was tacked on, they've been playing around with different takes on that scene all through production haha.

Anyway the article does mention YOLT and if I had to guess that'll probably be the main inspiration for B25. Will be shocked if it isn't. And Shatterhand, as obvious as it is, is the perfect title.

I'd be schocked as well if YOLT wasn't the main inspiration for SP.
    You and I and others were kicking this around as far back as the leaks thread in the pre-spectre days. It was clear that the new SP story was riffing on OHMSS. The "we have all the time in the world line " was eventually dropped, but it was there for a while.
    The potential for working with Fleming's original unused post-OHMSS continuity, found in YOLT & TMWTGG was very apparent, glaringly so.
    Nothing has changed really. The Shatterhand seeds were planted way back in the SP script-development days.
    There were even reports back then that both Waltz and Seydoux, had been tentatively asked to commit to a 2nd film.
    I think Seydoux's return has probably been scrapped as not needed, but I'd say Waltz is very much wanted.
    I think Eon has been committed to this approach all along, but it did require Craig continuing, so that needed to be firmed up, and my guess, is that that is being done, possibly for two films, which would make good business sense.
    An announcement will come, I think when the timing is opportune.
    Lock Craig in for two more films, on a schedule, and away you go.
    Shatterhand I would say is very very good bet for the new title. Dare I say lock? Not without some inside dope, but I'd be prepared to go banco on that.

As for the Never Dream of Dying book, being an influence.
    That is out of left field. It's possible P&W might like something from the book, but there is no prior reportage of any substance to support this.
    As for the YOLT and TMWTGG elements, I think that's what we are looking at - elements, and working with the broad strokes - working with the Fleming story in a modern retelling.
    There will not be Tracy, but with Blofeld being revived in SP, and even Bunt, in early SP drafts, there is potential for any of Tiger, Dikko or Scaramanga being revived---Scaramanga if we are talking two more films in this arc.
    Kissy probably not. Tiger might be a stretch too, as they are both closely associated with the already done YOLT film, and were already portrayed pretty close to Fleming.
    However, with Fleming's Dikko and Scaramanga, there is opportunity to get closer to these original characters.

Babs, MGW and P&W are all very conversant in Fleming, so they would know how to use these characters, and the Fleming storylines.

The trouble is that without a Tracy figure you rip the heart and soul out of YOLT.

If Madeline is just said to have left Bond or not even mentioned at all (as plenty of people seem to be advocating) then all you've got is Bond going to help out the Japanese government with an embarrassing problem.

Blofeld is Tracy. Without her he's just another Bond villain and not even that good. In Fleming Drax, Goldfinger and Dr No are all far better than Blofeld, who despite appearing in three books makes less impact than any of them. His status as nemesis relies almost exclusively on the killing of Tracy.

If they want to do YOLT they have to kill Madeline don't they because to have Bond choking him at the end screaming 'Die Blofeld, die' just because he killed Hannes Oberhauser (which didn't seem to bother Bond in the slightest in SP) or lured a few Japs to top themselves really doesn't work.

Just one more reason SP's botched execution has left us in a seemingly inescapable predicament and, call me a cynic, I hardly think P&W are the screenwriting equivalent of a gadget from Q Branch to get us out of it.

Yes Fleming's treatment of YOLT does rely on the death of Tracy.
    So I'm guessing a whole new story that borrows elements from the Fleming stories.
    The new story of course exists in the re-boot timeline.
    As Madeleine is not Tracy, killing her off at Blofeld's hand would be superfluous.
    I think this is why, the " we have all the time in the world" line was dropped, as it would invite Madeleine comparisons with Tracy.
    And as there is no comparison, it's probably a good thing it was dropped, which makes Swann, just another Bond girl that can be written out like so many others, so that we might get another fresh girl.
    I'm guessing the intent is to work with Fleming elements but within this new reboot context.
    I'm guessing, Blofeld as Shatterhand, Garden of Death, a reimagined Bunt ie in the leaked scripts, she wasn't ugly.
    As for what the actual broader story might be, who knows.
    But we've seen Fleming bits dropped into new film stories, out of original book context, before.

When we might get an actual telling of Fleming's Blofeld trilogy, either as a period piece, or in a modern context, a la CR 06, who knows?
    I would love to see it done in a modern setting.
    Actually one could skip TB, just reference it as backstory, and then go full out on OHMSS, YOLT and TMWTGG bringing Bond full circle to where we find him at the end of Fleming's TMWTGG.
    This might be a neat way to launch another cinema re-boot, down the line, but if we get Shatterhand and Garden of Death in B25, which I think that we will, then that shelves a modern telling of the trilogy for the near future, as the core Fleming elements would be repetitive.

Agree on all your points.

I think a standalone for B25 directed by Villeneuve to see off the Craig era and then a Nolan Blofeld trilogy would do nicely. They won't do this though. If Craig is back Blofeld is back I'm afraid.

If they do do the Garden of Death now (as seems fairly inevitable) the thought just struck me could they do something with the Vesper interrogation tape? Just forget about Madeline and make Vesper Tracy for Craig's Blofeld?

Although I really don't have any faith in P&W to deliver something that isn't soap opera level melodrama.

It would probably best to stop digging, let Craig go and wipe the slate clean.
    talos7 wrote: »
    If planned properly two films can be shot back to back, and/or simultaneously, very efficiently.

We are talking about EON here remember.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    GUYS
    Eon is not competent enough to even make 1 film AND YOU WANT THEM TO MAKE TWO AT THE SAME TIME????
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    A good night out with Tom Cruise (55) would probably motivate Daniel Craig (49) to give it two more times!
    Or persuade him to join Scientology.

Well, we wouldn't want that, would we?
    I'm still not wholly convinced Craig is up for another Bond,or has the enthusiasm .I can see it being another YOLT with a bored Connery.

If there is a 2 year gap now,then its time for a fresh start,and to take the series on a new direction,back to how it used to be.

Get a good actor in,a good director,a good conductor,and commit to a brand new Bond adventure.

Oh and put Blofeld on ice for at least 2-3 films.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    With ‘Logan Lucky,’ Soderbergh Hopes to Change Film’s Business Model
    https://nytimes.com/2017/07/31/business/media/with-logan-lucky-soderbergh-hopes-to-change-films-business-model.html

If this succeeds, I can't see Soderbergh going back to the old ways and directing a Bond film. Unless, EON are willing to consider this new model.
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    001 wrote: »
    James Bond with his B25 Director ?
    Nah. Craig's successor will be someone younger than Hardy, and Nolan is doing Bond 26.

if Nolan is doing a trilogy Hardy could easily do it from b25 or b26 in a 7 year span
    No we need to move away from all that and take Bond back to standalone films.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Has anyone from EON said anything about Craig recently? I can't remember when they last mentioned him.

Have they been seen together?

I've seen Craig out at events on his own (including Omega) and EON reps (including Wilson) similarly, but that's about it.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Has anyone from EON said anything about Craig recently? I can't remember when they last mentioned him.

I've seen Craig out at events on his own (including Omega) and EON reps (including Wilson) similarly, but that's about it.

Well, he was at the Barcelona bakery here today, with Babs and me :-D
    001 wrote: »
    James Bond with his B25 Director ?
    Nah. Craig's successor will be someone younger than Hardy, and Nolan is doing Bond 26.

if Nolan is doing a trilogy Hardy could easily do it from b25 or b26 in a 7 year span

Or, on the other hand, why not give a less known and younger man a chance.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Isn't Hardy doing some comic thing (can't remember the name of it)? He's a bit high profile for Bond imho, even though a lot his roles are while behind a mask and almost unrecognizable.
  • RC7RC7

A friend of mine spoke to Barbara around 4 weeks ago. She insisted that she wanted Craig back, but would not confirm (for obvious reasons) whether the deal had been done. In my opinion it had and the response was the only diplomatic one she could give.
    RC7 wrote: »

A friend of mine spoke to Barbara around 4 weeks ago. She insisted that she wanted Craig back, but would not confirm (for obvious reasons) whether the deal had been done. In my opinion it had and the response was the only diplomatic one she could give.
    Good to know. Thanks. Someone seems to have leaked that to the NYT with a confirmation thrown in for good measure.

EDIT: Do you think the distribution deal has been done?
  • RC7RC7

Good to know. Thanks. Someone seems to have leaked that to the NYT with a confirmation thrown in for good measure.

I do, yeah. Finally.
    Isn't Hardy doing some comic thing (can't remember the name of it)? He's a bit high profile for Bond imho, even though a lot his roles are while behind a mask and almost unrecognizable.

@bondjames Hardy's doing 'Venom', shooting this autumn I think. Possibly more than one picture there. Plus a half a dozen other projects lined up, including a possible Mad Max sequel. His dance card's pretty full.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO

I do, yeah. Finally.

Are you in the movie business, @RC7? If you don't wish to answer here, you can message me.
  • bondjames wrote: »

Hardy is high profile, but as you suggest he changes his appearance and delivery quite a bit from role to role, and more importantly, he doesn't have any franchises to his name. There's Mad Max, but he was grunting from behind a face grill the whole time and are they even making another one? It's not like he's currently playing Superman or Captain Kirk.
    Calliope wrote: »

@bondjames Hardy's doing 'Venom', shooting this autumn I think. Possibly more than one picture there. Plus a half a dozen other projects lined up, including a possible Mad Max sequel. His dance card's pretty full.
    Thanks, that's it.

Hardy is high profile, but as you suggest he changes his appearance and delivery quite a bit from role to role, and more importantly, he doesn't have any franchises to his name. There's Mad Max, but he was grunting from behind a face grill the whole time and are they even making another one? It's not like he's currently playing Superman or Captain Kirk.
    I agree, but this new Venom thing along with the MM series may have sealed it in terms of ever getting Bond. Like with Cavill, I think the boat has passed.

I do, yeah. Finally.
    Great! Looking forward to some exciting (rather than a tedious Brotherfeld/Swann continuation) announcement within the next six months.
  • RC7RC7
    edited August 2017 Posts: 10,512

I do, yeah. Finally.

Are you in the movie business, @RC7? If you don't wish to answer here, you can message me.

I'm a TV Producer. I have colleagues and mates across TV/film/publishing so I often get trickle down. It's quite an incestuous business.

EDIT: Note - I should reiterate that doesn't mean it's always true. I only tend to mention stuff here if it appears legit. I've heard various things re.B25, a lot of which I haven't posted because, a) I don't want to compromise those I've heard from and b) because you tend to hear from more than one channel before you can start to treat it as a distinct possibility. Even movie people like to talk shit.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    edited August 2017 Posts: 2,539
    About Logan Lucky marketing campaign. Very interesting and NOT Craig or Bond 25 related: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/31/business/media/with-logan-lucky-soderbergh-hopes-to-change-films-business-model.html

Channing Tatum was in Jimmy Kimmel Live. Not a word about Craig, but interesting things about the marketing campaign:

I do, yeah. Finally.

I'm a TV Producer. I have colleagues and mates across TV/film/publishing so I often get trickle down. It's quite an incestuous business.
    Apparently, and also lacking in diversity, or so I've read according to some.
  • RC7RC7

I do, yeah. Finally.

Apparently, and also lacking in diversity, or so I've read according to some.

Ha ha. Let's just say there's a lot of dead wood.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Even movie people like to talk shit.

No way?
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    When do people think mgm will have its quarterly investors meeting in August? Bond 25 will be brought up this time I know that
  • RC7RC7

Even movie people like to talk shit.

No way?

Crazy, right?
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited August 2017 Posts: 1,756
    Actually you know what, I find it very commendable we've been able to swear barely a few times in all 800 and whatever pages of this thread :D
    This will be the second longest interval between films since LTK-GE.

Why didn't Dalton return for B17? Because he wasn't prepared to commit to a three movie contract.

If Craig returns after such a long break I am fairly sure EON will want him to commit to at least 2 more films otherwise they will decide to recast.

So if he's coming back it will be for more than one film.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Getafix wrote: »
    This will be the second longest interval between films since LTK-GE.

It was the same DAD-CR.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    These 4 year gaps are bruttaly long and it would be a shame to have one inbetween B25 and B26. If they recast after, it may happen, if they sell eon, it may also happen but if craig does B26- which he shouldnt- then it could be a 2 year gap.