No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

mattjoes wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    What a horrific idea! Babs and MGW have my respect for vetoing that!

No kids in a Bond film please. Unless they are thrown off a boat in Thailand.

Strangely enough, due to DirecTV's horrible plot summaries, I thought the story of TWINE was going to be something similar before I first saw it. The description was; "Bond protects the daughter of a late friend," and I thought it meant a young daughter. Terrible synopsis, but I liked the idea of Bond showing a softer side with the girl, while at the same time viciously pursuing/killing those trying to harm her.

Back in the day, I read the same thing about the plot. In fact, it also said Bond would quit the secret service. Was that rumored to be the story of the film?

That's strange. The incorrect DirecTV description was on their guide around 2012 (which was when I first saw TWINE). They also had a lengthier, more accurate description. It would vary which description was used depending on the channel where TWINE was being aired. It's weird if this misinformation all traces back to some old rumor about the film from back in the day prior to its release.

I remember reading that way before 2012; in fact, it was probably in 2000. It was written on the back cover of some bootleg VHS of TWINE that was being sold in a... flea market, I think it's called (English is not my first language).
    The Sunday Mirror article is certainly interesting. The fact they say Shatterhand is the working title makes me think there could be something in this report.
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    edited July 2017 Posts: 805
    =bg= wrote: »

Oh yes please. Been a long held dream for a Shatterhand movie based on Fleming's YOLT. Not so sure about the Benson material being included though, have never read the book myself but just had a quick read of the plot and it sounds totally bonkers. Guess some of the plot points/settings could be used through (Japanese terrorist would seem obvious connection to YOLT)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    The Sunday Mirror article is certainly interesting. The fact they say Shatterhand is the working title makes me think there could be something in this report.

You think, @ColonelSun? Don't you think they tossed everything into that article to make sure they covered all their bases? A blind baddie, but also Waltz and Bautista? A continuation novel, but also YOLT and OHMSS (they don't mention Swann, so I'm not sure how they could be taking inspiration from the two Fleming novels, since so much hinged on the tragedy of Tracy and avenging her).

And what is EoN's policy on the continuation novels? I know we got to see a little of your namesake in the last film, but do they own the film rights to these continuation novels?
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    What a horrific idea! Babs and MGW have my respect for vetoing that!

No kids in a Bond film please. Unless they are thrown off a boat in Thailand.

Strangely enough, due to DirecTV's horrible plot summaries, I thought the story of TWINE was going to be something similar before I first saw it. The description was; "Bond protects the daughter of a late friend," and I thought it meant a young daughter. Terrible synopsis, but I liked the idea of Bond showing a softer side with the girl, while at the same time viciously pursuing/killing those trying to harm her.

Back in the day, I read the same thing about the plot. In fact, it also said Bond would quit the secret service. Was that rumored to be the story of the film?

That's strange. The incorrect DirecTV description was on their guide around 2012 (which was when I first saw TWINE). They also had a lengthier, more accurate description. It would vary which description was used depending on the channel where TWINE was being aired. It's weird if this misinformation all traces back to some old rumor about the film from back in the day prior to its release.

I remember reading that way before 2012; in fact, it was probably in 2000. It was written on the back cover of some bootleg VHS of TWINE that was being sold in a... flea market, I think it's called (English is not my first language).

Hmm...that's really interesting. I love the oddities of bootlegs and knockoffs. I do wonder if the people that produced that bootleg pulled that info from some tabloid rumor. I suppose I'll take this to the questions thread and see if anyone knows of such a rumor from that time.
    peter wrote: »
    ColonelSun wrote: »

You think, @ColonelSun? Don't you think they tossed everything into that article to make sure they covered all their bases? A blind baddie, but also Waltz and Bautista? A continuation novel, but also YOLT and OHMSS (they don't mention Swann, so I'm not sure how they could be taking inspiration from the two Fleming novels, since so much hinged on the tragedy of Tracy and avenging her).

And what is EoN's policy on the continuation novels? I know we got to see a little of your namesake in the last film, but do they own the film rights to these continuation novels?

We'll have to see of course, but having read all of Fleming's Bond novels and many of the continuation novels, I think, like they did with the scene from Colonel Sun in SP, Eon and P&W could easily pull a few ideas from those other books.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Do they have the rights @Colonel Sun? And how is Benson as a continuation writer? I've read all the Fleming, time and again; read Colonel Sun a few times (with mixed feelings); tried twice, unsuccessfully, to get through Gardner (felt as these novels went on, the further he got away from the original character). I stopped at Gardner, never giving the other authors a chance since, I have this feeling, I won't recognize the character. Fleming was Fleming, and even in his weakest novels, still brought a majestic flair to his words and created some of the most incredible characters (and I include Viv Michel as one of them!).
    I believe, and someone here can correct me if I'm wrong, Eon have first refusal on any material in the continuation novels through the Ian Fleming Estate who control those novel rights etc. Benson's books aren't bad, about on par with the first few Gardner novels which were the best. Colonel Sun remains, for me, the best continuation novel.
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    It's really strange they use Shatterhand and not using Yolt. I think they will do a mashup of the two books.
    http://www.jborbisnonsufficit.com/2017/07/30/bond-to-battle-blind-supervillain-in-bond-25/
  • peterpeter Toronto
    it seemed that Amis had the firmest grasp of the character, by far, @ColonelSun. I like CS, but, always find it a tough read. Just my opinion, it feels "clunkier" than Fleming, and I always find it "dirtier" in tone than Fleming, if that makes sense. I think the closest to come to this in the original novels, was TMWTGG...
    It's really strange they use Shatterhand and not using Yolt. I think they will do a mashup of the two books.
    http://www.jborbisnonsufficit.com/2017/07/30/bond-to-battle-blind-supervillain-in-bond-25/

Having read NDOD, I can only conclude that, if the Mirror story has any truth to it, Eon are only using a few elements from that novel rather than the actual plot. Knowing P&W's respect for Fleming, I suspect it's likely they will work in unused elements from YOLT, perhaps even TMWTGG.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I thought it was common knowledge that the Mirror is a dismal rag but I'm consistently amazed by how much credence people here are willing to give it.

It reaffirms my faith in humanity.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    @Gustav_Graves, my instincts say this is complete b/s. We don't have a director yet and this article proclaims that Waltz and Bautista are signed on? How far in advance of a film's release is a working title confirmed and leaked to the press? 2.5 years in advance?

Seems like a load of bull to me, although I'll give them credit for being a bit more original than most.

Having said that, yes I do think they will continue to mine the continuation novels for elements, villains and scenes which they can incorporate into the films. I have no problem with them doing that, but I hope that P&W try to organically infuse it into their narrative in a better way than they did with the torture scene in SP. That scene seemed 'tacked on' from my perspective.
    Of course that torture scene was tacked on, they've been playing around with different takes on that scene all through production haha.

Anyway the article does mention YOLT and if I had to guess that'll probably be the main inspiration for B25. Will be shocked if it isn't. And Shatterhand, as obvious as it is, is the perfect title.
    Having said that, yes I do think they will continue to mine the continuation novels for elements, villains and scenes which they can incorporate into the films. I have no problem with them doing that, but I hope that P&W try to organically infuse it into their narrative in a better way than they did with the torture scene in SP. That scene seemed 'tacked on' from my perspective.

I so agree with you on that. The torture scene in SP? I loved it....but it would have been nice if Bond was left there in the desert seriously injured, urging Swann, with Moneypenny and Q, to initiate a rogue rescue mission of some sort.

What I would like, if they do a full adaptation of a continuation novel, to organically end the Swann-Bond relationship ASAP at the start of Bond #25. A bit like they did in the novels "From Russia With Love" and "Trigger Mortis" (simply.....portraying a relationship break-up). And if they do a Shatterhand-related storyline, they have to tackle the Blofeld capture from SP and free him in a credible way for the cinema audiences.

But all in a perfectly organic way yes. I then prefer to pick up the pace of a new mission and turn that the center of Bond #25. Let the characters drive the mission, instead of the other way around. A bit less drama, and more intrigue and Hitchcock-ian thriller.
    but it would have been nice if Bond was left there in the desert seriously injured, urging Swann, with Moneypenny and Q, to initiate a rogue rescue mission of some sort.

We seem to differ on the definition of 'nice'.

MP and Q parachuting in with Rory driving the Union Jack hot air balloon and I probably would have to walk out.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    A few pages back there was a rather tongue in cheek suggestion that Refn's "Avenging Silence" was actually the BOND 25 plot. In that story the protagonist is mute due to a vocal cord injury. This strikes me as eerily similar to the use of a blind antagonist in the Mirror article. Could it be the EON has bought this story from P&W and Refn for the purposes of BOND 25? This would explain; why P&W are back, why there has been no new news on " Avenging Silence" and what EON has been doing these past almost two years .
    but it would have been nice if Bond was left there in the desert seriously injured, urging Swann, with Moneypenny and Q, to initiate a rogue rescue mission of some sort.

MP and Q parachuting in with Rory driving the Union Jack hot air balloon and I probably would have to walk out.

I just meant....a bit more narrative leading towards the torture sequence, and also some better narrative explanation how Bond survived the torture :-). Wouldn't you agree?

I just meant....a bit more narrative leading towards the torture sequence, and also some better narrative explanation how Bond survived the torture :-). Wouldn't you agree?

I do agree. But that doesnt mean we need more Scooby gang input.

I do agree. But that doesnt mean we need more Scooby gang input.

:-P
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    I thought it was common knowledge that the Mirror is a dismal rag but I'm consistently amazed by how much credence people here are willing to give it.

People will believe whatever they want to believe

Regardless of how we treat the media, not everything they write is bullocks ok? We know from experience that half of these tabloid articles usually have at least some truth in it. I mean, @BondJames himself said that it was a 'pretty original' article for The Mirror. So I am asking myself why a crap writer would engage in so much background info checks and coming up with names like "Shatterhand" and "Never Dream Of Dying"?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    he's covering all his bases for a "story"?... He's got a little bit of everything in that article. Like I said, it felt like a cut n paste from every fan boy forum!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    The National Enquirer is a tabloid but over the years they've consistently scooped the "legitimate " media.
    This story in the Mirror must be taken with a grain of salt but may be on to something.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    @Gustav_Graves - I've seen tabloid dirge like this before when the News of the World claimed Eric Bana was going to star as Bond in a film of The Man with the Red Tattoo back in 2004! The Mirror doesn't get the year right either: NDOD was released in 2001, not 1999. The simplest of research is utterly lacking!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Roadphill wrote: »
    I believe the original rumor came from the Mirror, and Waltz has since denied being asked to return on several occasions.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The journalists get paid for their stories wether they are true or not.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 11,119
    Thanks guys :-). Confirmation from Mr Benson himself:

4Pklbuw.jpg
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    The journalists get paid for their stories wether they are true or not.

Just sit and wait for the libel case to come, though I suppose you can't sue a monkey.

Chimpanzee_seated_at_typewriter.jpg
    edited July 2017 Posts: 9,117

We know from experience that half of these tabloid articles usually have at least some truth in it.

Half? Somewhere nearer the 3% mark I would say.
    So I am asking myself why a crap writer would engage in so much background info checks and coming up with names like "Shatterhand" and "Never Dream Of Dying"?

16.45 on Friday evening.

Editor: Hey before you go can you knock out some bullshit on this new Bond film for them to run this weekend.
    Hack: But there is no more info. Shall I just make it up?
    Editor: How long have you worked here?
    Hack: Fair enough.

(Hack then quickly Googles 'Titles for the next Bond film' and probably winds up on MI6 where numerous people have said 'Shatterhand'. He lifts some posts from us that also suggest adapting the continuation novels too, adds 'A source said' and is in the pub by 16.59)

Thanks guys :-). Confirmation from Mr Benson himself:

4Pklbuw.jpg

Et voila.