No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Nolan and Hardy won't be any different from the Craig extravaganza of the emotional parade.

So why bother with them at all?
    I get Nolan and Hardy for a trilogy post Craig I am beyond
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Nolan and Hardy won't be any different from the Craig extravaganza of the emotional parade.

So why bother with them at all?
    Exactly. I'm dead against the idea.

And I'm not talking about Hardy's utmost unsuitability for the role, yet.
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast

The online film critic HULK had a really good article the other day about how Nolan doesn't really do emotion in his films so perhaps not! (bit of a long read but I'll post it any way)

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/07/26/film-crit-hulk-smash-christopher-nolan-the-cruelty-of-time

I really do think it would be one of the great missed opportunities if Nolan isn't given the chance at some stage. The spectacular OHMSS-inspired action sequence from Inception is almost enough in my book. He's the biggest film director in the world right now with Warner Bros happy to bankroll him to make pretty much anything he likes, there really would be no boundaries to bringing his vision for Bond to the screen. Just imagine sitting down to a spectacular IMAX-shot PTS.... goosebumps!
    The Dark Knight trilogy and Inception have become the templates for Nolan's way of making films and all I saw in those films were emotions, personal melodramas with a storyline that's done in a vein of what he thinks to be the Rubik's Cube when it's actually not. The way people think Skyfall comes across as. I'd rather not see yet another Bond movie where everything is moving the quasi-intellectuals and immediately everyone elects it to be an Academy Award nominee. I just want my Bond out there, entertaining the viewers as he saves the world, defeats the villain in style and gets the girl. That's what I want from Bond. Not a mind solving puzzle.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    The Dark Knight trilogy and Inception have become the templates for Nolan's way of making films and all I saw in those films were emotions, personal melodramas with a storyline that's done in a vein of what he thinks to be the Rubik's Cube when it's actually not.

That was before Dunkirk. This is phase 2 Nolan we're into now.
    The Dark Knight trilogy and Inception have become the templates for Nolan's way of making films and all I saw in those films were emotions, personal melodramas with a storyline that's done in a vein of what he thinks to be the Rubik's Cube when it's actually not.

I hope you're right.

Dunkirk isn't emotional?!
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    jake24 wrote: »
    Is there a date for the Kings premiere? I'll probably go just to see Barbara (insert heart face)
    Trying to find that out, @dominicgreene. Planning on going myself.

The schedule doesn't come out until 22nd August.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited July 2017 Posts: 1,756
    bondjames wrote: »
    At the risk of offending his die hard fans, after SP I've felt that Craig's iteration has to some extent hijacked Bond. It's too much about him and his iteration's troubles & history. I find that distracting when I go back and watch the earlier films (which I much prefer).

Moreover, the whole thing doesn't jive for me due to the poor execution in the last film. I find it 'shoehorned' in to accommodate his sensibilities and reboot iteration. It doesn't help that I grew up with Blofeld and Bond.

These are the primary reasons I want a new Bond actor, and not because I have any dislike against Craig's portrayal (although I didn't like how he played it in SP). It's more on account of it all being about him these days. Even the 'wrist slash', 'money' and 'will he won't he' thing all revolves around him. It's becoming a bit tiresome.

Again, sorry to offend.

I agree with you. Things seem to revolving around Craig a bit too much for comfort. Will he or won't he? Wait until Craig's in the mood to tell us. Doesn't help Barbara is basically infatuated with him. Bond is not Craig.

You can't just take a job like Bond and expect everyone to forget about your status. One of the downfalls of being in that position; you want people to take you seriously as an actor, yet we're only concerned about whether or not he's coming back. Maybe it's out of spite.

And I'm not saying these things out of impatience. But as fans, who've basically made Bond the billion dollar franchise it is... I don't think it's unfair to be a bit frustrated.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Yes, damn EON! Damn them to hell!
    Yes, damn EON! Damn them to hell!

Damn and blast! Fiddlesticks, blundering, half-witted operation. I
  • I would be happy with anyone, but Craig.
    Craig will be Bond in Bond 25.

Just reminding you all!!
    Until they officially confirm it, I still very much doubt it.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    fjdinardo wrote: »

Just reminding you all!!

Still hoping you're right!

Just reminding you all!!

Exactly. Bond 25 = Craig. Demange. Warner. Last EON Bond film. Bond 26 = New actor. Nolan. Warner. New producers.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Nolan doesn't appear to have spoken with EON since pre-SP based on recent interviews. He's still jockeying for the job in the future. This 'sale' talk is speculation too. Craig is still unconfirmed.

For all we know the shakeup is coming in 2019.
    The trades, while they haven't confirmed, they're confident that Craig is back...
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender

Just reminding you all!!

Exactly. Bond 25 = Craig. Demange. Warner. Last EON Bond film. Bond 26 = New actor. Nolan. Warner. New producers.

Bond 24 theme = Radiohead

Oh wait...

423.gif
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Just reminding you all!!

Oh wait...

423.gif

Post of the week right here!
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil

Just reminding you all!!

Oh wait...

423.gif

Hahahaha
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    But Panchito was close. Radiohead did a song. For all we know this could be situation with Craig right now (close to a deal but not confirmed).

At the end of the day we really don't know right now.
    Maybe not Bond 26, but Nolan is definitly going to direct at least one Bond movie in the not so distant future. My message to Nolan haters: Deal. With. It. ;)

@bondjames Maybe they are planning a shakeup with Bond 25. If so, hiring P & W again was an even bigger mistake than otherwise.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    All I can say about B25 is I don't want to see EON attempt to wrap up Craig's story line, or have them over react to SP's less than great reception by going dark and gritty again. I'm fine with a return of Craig so long as these things don't happen, but I fear they will. In fact, I fear they may still occur even with a new actor.
    All I can say about B25 is I don't want to see EON attempt to wrap up Craig's story line, or have them over react to SP's less than great reception by going dark and gritty again. I'm fine with a return of Craig so long as these things don't happen, but I fear they will. In fact, I fear they may still occur even with a new actor.
    Are you my alter ego or summin'?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    A lot of us are concerned about this. They have more options with a clean slate but I believe business considerations at MGM may cause them to just push out some stub closure wrap up film. I just wish, if this is in fact what they have in mind, that they had gotten it over with in 2018.

EDIT: @PanchitoPistoles, P&W definitely means no Nolan like you said. I can understand them going back to these guys if they are taking on a new director. They are the tie that binds the old and new eras so they can more easily handle a 'bridge' film without too much risk. It's likely to be unadventurous, but at least won't go too far off the deep end either. After the Logan fiasco, it's understandable.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Are you my alter ego or summin'?

I must be. :D
    bondjames wrote: »
    A lot of us are concerned about this. They have more options with a clean slate but I believe business considerations at MGM may cause them to just push out some stub closure wrap up film. I just wish, if this is in fact what they have in mind, that they had got it over with in 2018.

EDIT: @PanchitoPistoles, P&W definitely means no Nolan like you said. I can understand them going back to these guys if they are taking on a new director. They are the tie that binds the old and new eras so they can more easily handle a 'bridge' film without too much risk. It's likely to be unadventurous, but at least won't go too far off the deep end either. After the Logan fiasco, it's understandable.

The disturbing thing is that what you say sounds entirely plausible, and this at a time when EON really needs to hit it out of the park with the next Bond film after lackluster SP.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I imagine that of the three leading candidates for director, they would all have to agree on the direction that P&W are working on (so that a director doesn't come on board and toss everything out and demand to start afresh-- with a looming release date, that never works out well (see: SP)).

However, I would also have to believe these directors would have their own ideas on how to execute the script, and would even bring on their own "script doctors" to see their vision through. After all, the three mentioned seem to be legitimate visionaries rather than workman-like guns for hire.

So, I don't feel panic that P&W are the firstwriters on board; there will be others to shape the director's vision.

(I would love to see Villeneuve in the chair-- the "dinner" sequence in SICARIO should have been the slam dunk... But, as people say, he's locked on DUNE).
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 386
    From EON's point of view, the only lesson learned from SP might be not to burden Logan with as much responsibility next time.

Oh, and DC hurt himself. These things happen.

They will also see that SP made good bank and drew a lot of the 'neutrals' that also saw SF.

As far as they are concerned, back to P&W for the baseline story, perhaps a polish by a Haggis type, DC to return along with the Scoobs and dear old step-brother Blofeld, and we're good to go for maybe two more.

Of course, if this happens, and the most logical presumption is that it will, then EON will be 'behind' trend for the second feature in a row. That will hurt them in the wallet this time.

We are but a vocal minority on a fan forum. Business principles will naturally be applied and the same magic template that has netted three quarters of a $B twice in a row will be looked at again.

Expect the earth to move after B25.