No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Strog wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Rack up another scoop proved correct for Bamigboye. Purvis & Wade's return was confirmed in the announcement.

*sighs* That's quite the dampener.

For them to bring anything fresh at this point will be quite the challenge.
    At some point someone will be tapped for a re-write.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm sure Jez Butterworth will be brought in at some point.
    Is Mendes a possibility,
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 684
    @talos7 I suppose. Not since DAD have they been left to go it alone (reasonably). Nevertheless, that'll mark four films now as co-writers who have at least had a seat at the table, and six overall. Would've been interesting to see how a new picture might develop without any of their input.

Still, we shall see.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Fantastic news indeed. The fact that they have a release date locked leads me to believe that Craig has signed on.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    talos7 wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Rack up another scoop proved correct for Bamigboye. Purvis & Wade's return was confirmed in the announcement.

*sighs* That's quite the dampener.

For them to bring anything fresh at this point will be quite the challenge.
    At some point someone will be tapped for a re-write.

Which begs the question why EON don't just do a better job in looking for better writers from the off and digging deep into their pockets to pay for quality; instead of going back to the same, tired and rather unimpressive well of subpar creativity.
    Regarding a Bond film coming out in 2022 for the 60th anniversary. I don think Eon really cares about anniversaries. They did nothing for the 10th, 20th, to 30th anniversary and originally they wanted Skyfall for 2011 but MGM money problems delayed it to 2012 and it just happened to be the 50th anniversary.

N & R coming back to write the script makes me think Craig will be back.
    @talos7 I suppose. Not since DAD have they been left to go it alone (reasonably). Nevertheless, that'll mark four films now they've at least had a seat at the table. Would've been interesting to see how a new picture might develop without any of their input.

Still, we shall see.
    That is most likely to be when a new actor begins his tenure and a new incarnation of Bond begins with a clean (Fleming)slate.

Murdock wrote: »
    I'm sure Jez Butterworth will be brought in at some point.

Whoever they get let's hope they have a complete script before the cameras roll.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Craig returning has been rumoured since at least April so there's no 'big bang' moment to such an announcement. I'm surprised they didn't just announce it today, unless they want to combine it with a more dramatic statement about director and what not. If that's the case though, then why slip out this 'date' now? Curious.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Honestly I thought Spectre was a great send off for Craig. I don't like the movie but it concluded a lot of things.

Bond got over Vesper. The shadows of his past finally were resolved and disappeared. The author of his pain was arrested. He drove off into the sunset and basically quit MI6 at the end, with the Bond theme flairing in the background. I feel like Craig's Bond has been through enough, and deserves an ending like this. To continue it would be really milking his character dry emotionally.
    I'm not so sure I want Craig back. I won't be disappointed if he returns but I think with a 2019 release and the creative box-in SP culminated with I think it maybe time for a new actor to establish himself in the role.
    I've said for a while that they don't want to step on the toes of the Lucky Logan release and Craig's spotlight in a non-Bond role. It will follow this films release.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I don't think a Winter 2019 release date really tells us anything either way. 4 years is certainly ample enough to recast the role, but it's also not too long where Craig has definitively moved on. It seems to me a strange attempt at viral marketing to release the date, but not confirms Craig's return. General audiences like Craig, but I don't think they are clambering to hear he will be playing Bond again. It's not like RDJ playing Ironman, or Harrison Ford playing Indiana Jones. What sense of anticipation are they trying to create, exactly?

It could just be marketing gone wrong, but there is a note of Mystery about that message "James Bond will return". Like they are stoking the rumours intentionally.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    bondjames wrote: »
    Craig returning has been rumoured since at least April so there's no 'big bang' moment to such an announcement. I'm surprised they didn't just announce it today, unless they want to combine it with a more dramatic statement about director and what not. If that's the case though, then why slip out this 'date' now? Curious.
    If Craig is indeed on board, it's likely that they're waiting until after Logan Lucky completes its theatrical run (or at least after Craig promotes it).
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The questions for Craig will be even more rampant now during his 'Logan Lucky' press tour since this one is officially dated.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    jake24 wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    If Craig is indeed on board, it's likely that they're waiting until after Logan Lucky completes its theatrical run (or at least after Craig promotes it).
    Ok, makes sense.

I just find it strange to come back to the same actor after a second four year gap. At least with Moore in his 50's they were churning these things out every two years. It seems like a bit of a wasted opportunity to me not to have the role recast at this point (SF was quite a break with QoS after that 4 year gap), but I'm sure they have their reasons.

Excited for the 'real announcement', whenever that comes.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited July 2017 Posts: 4,554
    I don't think a Winter 2019 release date really tells us anything either way. 4 years is certainly ample enough to recast the role, but it's also not too long where Craig has definitively moved on. It seems to me a strange attempt at viral marketing to release the date, but not confirms Craig's return. General audiences like Craig, but I don't think they are clambering to hear he will be playing Bond again. It's not like RDJ playing Ironman, or Harrison Ford playing Indiana Jones. What sense of anticipation are they trying to create, exactly?

It could just be marketing gone wrong, but there is a note of Mystery about that message "James Bond will return". Like they are stoking the rumours intentionally.

I think in a roundabout way, it confirms DC's return and tells us that a director (unannounced as of yet) is on board. Also, back when the DC news broke a few weeks ago, it came with a "2019 release date" report as well. It would seem that that source was correct.

You don't go solidifying something like this without having those elements in place.

For the record, when I saw that 2019 release date, I was hoping for a summer release. We haven't had one of those since LTK.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 1,661
    Just read the news! Not hugely surprising about the extra year delay given all that we know (Purity tv show scheduled to film this year, Bond distribution deal yet to be finalized, EON producing another films). I don't think we're any closer in knowing if Daniel Craig is back, though. I think the announcement would have confirmed it if Craig is 100 percent back. I guess Craig hasn't made a decision and he doesn't need to right now, he can wait until next year.

My gut feeling is Daniel Craig won't return. Four years gap is large enough for the audience to want to see a new actor and I can't see why Craig would be keen to return given he'll be another year older. Hyping up the return of James Bond in 2019 with a new actor in the role - it's a no-brainer in terms of great publicity for the franchise. The hype will be huge.

Watching the final scene in SPECTRE - Bond driving away - it does feel like Craig saying a final goodbye to the role. It would be a fitting end to Craig's Bond.

• Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    Great News! Even though it's two years away... for me, this means DC will definitely be back.

Not happy about Purvis and Wade, but staying positive - let's hope it's another CR script from them rather than a DAD script.

But it's exciting! Let the build up commence. Come on 007 fans - this is what we live for! All the nuggets of information, shooting locations, casting announcements, director, storylines...it's all to come! It'll be great. Hoping for some good 'making of' books too!
    theres a small chance Craig wont be back. if this is is the case this is Babs way of setting a deadline for him.
    I don't read to much about production processes of films in general. So maybe someone can tell me this: With a movie being announced, is it usual for the script writer(s) to have the plot outlines (or maybe parts of the script) in place by this stage, or is that something that often happens after the announcement?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    So he basically has a year to get another film (or tv series) under his belt then, before he gets cracking on B25 (assuming he's back). The schedule is empty though and as I speculated just prior to this 'announcement', if LL is a success for him great offers will come pouring in, including potentially another Soderbergh film.
    I feel the 4 year gap is cause they want to get back all they key players from Spectre to continue/finish the story of Bond 25. Give the actors an extra year to clear their schedules for 2019. Thats how I see it.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 1,661
    It's impossible to say Craig will be back or won't be back. Heck, Daniel Craig may not even know. LOL

If anyone knows Daniel, perhaps you can persuade him to make his mind up! Cheers. :)
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    I feel the 4 year gap is cause they want to get back all they key players from Spectre to continue/finish the story of Bond 25. Give the actors an extra year to clear their schedules for 2019. Thats how I see it.

That would be a disaster.
    fjdinardo wrote: »

That would be a disaster.
    +1. Waiting until 2019 for those jokers is completely unacceptable imho. Hope it's not the case.
    Hey sometimes that happens in the movie biz. But that's what I think I happening
    Either DC isn't coming back or he doesn't know.

Building 'suspense' isn't craig's thing. In fact, he would loathe the concept.

If he doesn't know, the announcement could be a prod.

If he isn't coming back, they might be allowing him the chance to announce it himself, which would happen sooner rather than later.