Do you believe in ghosts?

Comments

Science is not the truth in the same way that religion is not the truth,
    science is the path to the truth.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    patb wrote: »
    Science is not the truth in the same way that religion is not the truth,
    science is the path to the truth.

And faith is the path to God in religion.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    No, as religious texts are thought up by the Deity the said religion worships and has faith in, not by man, though he may be responsible for its transcription.

This makes me want to vomit.

Very well, lesson number 1 then. Let's start with the simple things first:
    https://users.drew.edu/jlenz/whynot.html
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    A combination of faith and a religious quote is usually the response I get as a substitute for a request of evidence.
    Thats true
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    No, as religious texts are thought up by the Deity the said religion worships and has faith in, not by man, though he may be responsible for its transcription.

This makes me want to vomit.

Very well, lesson number 1 then. Let's start with the simple things first:
    https://users.drew.edu/jlenz/whynot.html

That me be so, but that is the ultimate authorship.

Maybe this is best reserved for a general religion thread here, though I gather the last one was deleted very soon after its creation.

Let us keep this thread for a discussion on ghosts, not religious belief.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    A combination of faith and a religious quote is usually the response I get as a substitute for a request of evidence.

That is where the faith comes from - the scripture. Hence, that is why it is quoted.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

"They were thought up by man, hence they are fallible and subject to change. It's therefore not something I would have 100% faith in."

Are we still talking about science here, or every religious text known to man? ;)

The deity, right. I was worried that would be the "defense" I'd get; from the lips of God to men's ears. It's funny that when Joan of Arc had the same experience of hearing messages from a greater power just as these so-called disciples of God did she got burned at the stake for it.

It really is amazing how many different gods and prophets there are, in the millions, and each one with the certainty that they are the supreme text to live and die by. What are the chances that the Christians are the only ones out of those millions to have hit the nail on the head? What's our "God" in a sea of other gods?

If you look at the inherent misogyny of the bible, there's really no other explanation than a bunch of men from the time writing it. Why else would Eve be the one to do the evil act and be tempted to steal the fruit, thus placing women into servitude as punishment for the original sin? That's definitely an idea a bunch of men would have.

The creation of a heaven and hell system is basic sociological control, and little more. If I wanted the populace to behave I'd certainly think of imagining a place where they'd burn for eternity if they did wrong too, in the hopes to deter crime or lessen it immensely. I'd give it an extra push by making up rules on stone tablets too, saying that a man in the sky with the power to kill you told me to tell you to behave.

And all this was in the day where people were thick and believed it all without question. But in 2017 with all the information and reality proving truth we have available, that mindset has gotta go. We've got people running around saying the earth is flat, that global climate change is a myth, and that God is among us. That is terrifying, to say the least.

On that note, it's time for two quotes from one of the greatest philosophical, atheist minds of our time: Rust Cohle.

tumblr_n48ssyWVfI1ttjvs0o1_500.jpg

Bye5Ci6IUAElWu5.jpg
    If ghosts exist, they exist, just like apples or hammers. Science includes everything that exists so to somehow try to exclude science and have a World beyond science in which all the "hocus pocus" exists makes no sense.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, rewatched the series a week ago and that scene in particular is one of my favorites. Tears hundreds of people down in just a few paragraphs.

@Dragonpol, and that's my issue with it: zero evidence is required, and pretty much any obstacle or question results in someone reverting back to quoting an ancient book. Doesn't get much easier than that. It's called deflection.

"They were thought up by man, hence they are fallible and subject to change. It's therefore not something I would have 100% faith in."

Are we still talking about science here, or every religious text known to man? ;)

The deity, right. I was worried that would be the "defense" I'd get; from the lips of God to men's ears. It's funny that when Joan of Arc had the same experience of hearing messages from a greater power just as these so-called disciples of God did she got burned at the stake for it.

It really is amazing how many different gods and prophets there are, in the millions, and each one with the certainty that they are the supreme text to live and die by. What are the chances that the Christians are the only ones out of those millions to have hit the nail on the head? What's our "God" in a sea of other gods?

If you look at the inherent misogyny of the bible, there's really no other explanation than a bunch of men from the time writing it. Why else would Eve be the one to do the evil act and be tempted to steal the fruit, thus placing women into servitude as punishment for the original sin? That's definitely an idea a bunch of men would have.

The creation of a heaven and hell system is basic sociological control, and little more. If I wanted the populace to behave I'd certainly think of imagining a place where they'd burn for eternity if they did wrong too, in the hopes to deter crime or lessen it immensely. I'd give it an extra push by making up rules on stone tablets too, saying that a man in the sky with the power to kill you told me to tell you to behave.

And all this was in the day where people were thick and believed it all without question. But in 2017 with all the information and reality proving truth we have available, that mindset has gotta go. We've got people running around saying the earth is flat, that global climate change is a myth, and that God is among us. That is terrifying, to say the least.

On that note, it's time for two quotes from one of the greatest philosophical, atheist minds of our time: Rust Cohle.

tumblr_n48ssyWVfI1ttjvs0o1_500.jpg

Bye5Ci6IUAElWu5.jpg

And who burned Joan of Arc? Man, not God.

I also highly doubt that there are "millions" of different gods and prophets in the world that its inhabitants believe in. Where is the evidence for that?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 17,787
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, rewatched the series a week ago and that scene in particular is one of my favorites. Tears hundreds of people down in just a few paragraphs.

@Dragonpol, and that's my issue with it: zero evidence is required, and pretty much any obstacle or question results in someone reverting back to quoting an ancient book. Doesn't get much easier than that. It's called deflection.

That is our evidence of faith. Faith by its very nature requires believing in something that is unseen, unknown and ultimately maybe even something that is unproven while still living too.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

That is where the faith comes from - the scripture. Hence, that is why it is quoted.

Since we all know that every child is born an Atheist, and beliefs are based on where you were born, how you were raised and who influenced you, who influenced your belief in God, @Dragonpol ?

Since we all know that every child is born an Atheist, and beliefs are based on where you were born, how you were raised and who influenced you, who influenced your belief in God, @Dragonpol ?

Well, I suppose my parents, Sunday School teachers, ministers of religion, the church, teachers in school and my own faculties.
    From selling Coke, or Big Macs or God, the rule is the same:

catch em while their young.
    From selling Coke, or Big Macs or God, the rule is the same:

catch em while their young.

And when you are old enough, you can throw it all away of course, and many do. Especially as concerns religion.
    We all know that children are easier to influence than adults (convince as adult that Father Xmas exists) and that events when we are children have a bigger impact. Plus we have a respect for elders and figures of authority (that are often not deserved). Throwing away fairy tales is much harder than not accepting them in the first place.

We all know that children are easier to influence than adults (convince as adult that Father Xmas exists) and that events when we are children have a bigger impact. Plus we have a respect for elders and figures of authority (that are often not deserved). Throwing away fairy tales is much harder than not accepting them in the first place.

Yet, we have the freewill always of course to do just that. Not everyone grows up in a "religious" household, yet they may go on to believe. Those that do grow up in such a household may equally go on to to believe. It doesn't necessarily always work in the way you are suggesting.
    I made no claim that these were 100% rules, but they are strong trends.
    In order not to further derail my thread here on the belief in the existence (or otherwise) of ghosts, I have created a thread space for the discussion on all aspects of religion and faith (and science versus religion and faith) here:

https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/18231/the-mi6-community-religion-and-faith-discussion-space
    I made no claim that these were 100% rules, but they are strong trends.

Well, yes. There is no doubt something in that, although people are only following what it advises in scripture about giving the young religious teaching early on.

That is our evidence of faith. Faith by its very nature requires believing in something that is unseen, unknown and ultimately maybe even something that is unproven while still living too.

Faith is no evidence: it's a belief in spite of a lack of evidence. Thus faith is unjustified and unjustifiable.

Regarding Joan of Arc, those who believe she was a saint who heard God talking believe she was killed by evil men. But those who believe she was a witch believe she was killed by God, or that men were doing God's command and that it was justified. I think personally that she was delusional and was sadistically executed by equally deluded religious people. If God exists (which I don't think he does) that one is on him.

Knowing you're protestant I can safely assume you don't think Joan of Arc was a saint who witnessed God's manifestation. So I'm curious about what constitute the difference between a crazy shepherdess in medieval France and a person who truly witnessed God's existence. What causes your skepticism in one case and not another?
    Yes, just like the marketing guys in Coke and McDonalds are following their orders. Why wait til adults are mature, educated and more able to weigh up the facts. Can anyone name a religion that does not target the young?
    Ludovico wrote: »

Faith is no evidence: it's a belief in spite of a lack of evidence. Thus faith is unjustified and unjustifiable.

Regarding Joan of Arc, those who believe she was a saint who heard God talking believe she was killed by evil men. But those who believe she was a witch believe she was killed by God, or that men were doing God's command and that it was justified. I think personally that she was delusional and was sadistically executed by equally deluded religious people. If God exists (which I don't think he does) that one is on him.

Knowing you're protestant I can safely assume you don't think Joan of Arc was a saint who witnessed God's manifestation. So I'm curious about what constitute the difference between a crazy shepherdess in medieval France and a person who truly witnessed God's existence. What causes your skepticism in one case and not another?

No, I'm not bigoted enough to attack a Roman Catholic for what they believed and then go on to defend a Protestant for believing the same thing. Even though I come from what is regarded as a very sectarian country, namely Northern Ireland. We're not all savages here.

And with that, I will cease discussing religion in this ghosts thread. There is now another space for that on our community and I suggest those interested post there instead.
    I think if the discussion of religion is going to continue, let's be kind to @Dragonpol and do so in his newly created thread instead of derailing this further, please.
    Yes, just like the marketing guys in Coke and McDonalds are following their orders. Why wait til adults are mature, educated and more able to weigh up the facts. Can anyone name a religion that does not target the young?

Well, if a child were to die in childhood, religions believe it is better to teach its members young. Just like we are learned to read and write young. Not everyone makes it to adulthood, after all.
    hahaha I thought you weren't going to post on here about religion @Dragonpol ,me olde matey !!
    I think if the discussion of religion is going to continue, let's be kind to @Dragonpol and do so in his newly created thread instead of derailing this further, please.

Yes, please. This is my last post on religious matters in this ghosts thread of mine. It has been derailed more than enough, I feel.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    hahaha I thought you weren't going to post on here about religion @Dragonpol ,me olde matey !!

Last post on it, my friend. I have to keep replying, but that is why we were getting nowhere and why I still believe the other thread space I have just created is the place best disposed for just such a discussion.

Amen to that.