Star Trek (1966 - present)

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I preferred the cast of TOS, but I preferred the stories of TNG (isn't that weird?) I've definitely come to prefer the "remastered" TOS, with CG enhancements. As far as the films go, I like Wrath of Khan, The Final Frontier and The Undiscovered Country (TOS films). I also like Generations and First Contact (TNG). Oh, I did like Star Trek (2009), as well, but I don't know which spot to pool that in.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I may be one of the few people to enjoy TMP. I love the slow pacing of the film and all of the mysteries it unfolds. I also like FC and to some extent, Generations.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I may be one of the few people to enjoy TMP. I love the slow pacing of the film and all of the mysteries it unfolds.

I agree it is in my humble opinion one of the few full on science fiction movies that has little to do with action but more with human & machine evolution. I have enjoyed this movie since I saw it premiere in the cinema. I am way more ST than SW.

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I didn't hate The Motion Picture, but now that I'm older, for some reason, it moves too slow. And this is strange coming from me, because I prefer slower-paced movies (I love fast paced, as well), but TMP is too slow.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 2,341
    I love Star Trek. I got into TOS after it had gone into syndication and was hooked. I must say that I am partial to TNG. Voyager was okay but I never warmed up to Deep Space Nine. Enterprise just sucked.
    There was something about TOS that just endears it to fans. Maybe it was the campiness, overacting by Shatner, or the way the characters just "clicked".

As for the movies,as you well know all the even numbers are the better films. Of the odd numbered ones, Star Trek III is the better of that bunch.
    Wrath of Khan is the BEST film but I must say that Star Trek VIII, First Contact gives it a run for it's money. I remember seeing it in the theaters back in 1996 and afterwards I could only say, "they should stop making the films, they never gonna top this one."
    True because IX and X were so disappointing.

I did like the uniforms they wore in ST II thru VI. and a poll in 1994 voted Picard as the "best" or most popular of the captains.

I rate the movies: TMP D
    Wrath of Khan A+
    Search B
    Voyage A
    Final F
    VI B
    VII C
    VIII A+
    IX D
    X C-
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 2,341
    I wouldn't say I'm a Star Trek but I do love the the films from Wrath of Khan up to Undiscovered Country, fantastic group of films!
    Meanwhile:

doctor-who-star-trek-idw.jpg
    Gerard wrote:
    Meanwhile:

doctor-who-star-trek-idw.jpg

Why must you pervert the beauty of Star Trek with the convoluted-ness of Doctor Who?
    Star Trek is great and Doctor Who is great.

Love the drawing.
    Well, my theory about Gary Seven was that he was a Time Lord, if not The Doctor. So... Anyway, we'll see if they make the reference when the crossover starts in may from IDW.
    Gerard wrote:
    Well, my theory about Gary Seven was that he was a Time Lord, if not The Doctor. So... Anyway, we'll see if they make the reference when the crossover starts in may from IDW.

You know that episode was meant to be a spinoff series but it fell through. would have been a nice time traveling show.
  • What is Doctor Who doing in this :-L

I'm not even a fan of that, I saw some episodes in the 1970s but try not to include it in here, it has it's own place on MI6, This is for Star Trekappreciation

In any event I watched the 5th release yesterday 'The Voyage Home (1989)'. it's the one where a half brother of Spock', steals the Enterprise and goes off to find God, or some variation

A big improvement on the stupid 'Save the Whales' nonsense from 1986, this time there's more action in Space and involvement, we get Klingon attacks and all the original crew get involved, I enjoyed it for the most part, and Shatner still doesn't look overly past it. Probably one of the best of the six they made for theatrical releases

Everybody has a secret pain. Share yours and grow stronger from the sharing

What is Doctor Who doing in this :-L

I'm not even a fan of that, I saw some episodes in the 1970s but try not to include it in here, it has it's own place on MI6, This is for Star Trekappreciation

In any event I watched the 5th release yesterday 'The Voyage Home (1989)'. it's the one where a half brother of Spock', steals the Enterprise and goes off to find God, or some variation

A big improvement on the stupid 'Save the Whales' nonsense from 1986, this time there's more action in Space and involvement, we get Klingon attacks and all the original crew get involved, I enjoyed it for the most part, and Shatner still doesn't look overly past it. Probably one of the best of the six they made for theatrical releases

Star Trek Five was "The Final Frontier"
    Star Trek Four (save the whales) was "The Voyage Home"

four was good and a lighthearted film.
    Five was garbage.
  • I keep getting my Star Trek movies mixed up, not my main area of expertise in my defense

Yes, as quite rightly pointed out, Part IV was Voyage Home, V was The Final Frontier

I must add while I'm at it that I completely disagree that anyone could call Part IV a good film, it is so far detached from the Star Trek series it's like custard and gravy in that respect. Yes it is lively sometimes, but I want to see Kirk, Spock and company fighting Klingons and Romulans in outer space, not sneaking around San Francisco snatching hump back whales, what the hell was that all about :-<

Part V is head and shoulders in that respect, we get back on track and keep it on subject matter, even if it is a bit dull on route. It is nowhere near Garbage, I could never classify it as that

Going to watch Part VI in the next few days, the last with the original cast. I'll be sad to see the old crew depart but they gave us some damn fine adventures. Not really a fan of the Next Generation although Patrick Stewart is a more than adequate replacement as Starship Captain

The genesis trilogy finished with "the voyage home" in which Kirk and friends once more save Earth by travelling back through time to restore a "stupidity by mankind" and does give us a sense of humor while doing just that. The movie is drenched in the personal friendships between the staff of the Enterprise.
    The final Frontier was an excellent idea but the end wasn't well thought out, as Shatner later revealed there was simply NO money for what he really wanted to do. So the end is a compromise in a financial sense. But the movie starts with the special friendship between the main characters. Which is that special magic that very few other Enterprise crews could match with.
    Despite it's critical pasting, I have always enjoyed part 5, it is an interesting story which as mentioned is limited by it's small budget, good chemistry between the cast (even if they did hate shatner in real life!)
    edited February 2012 Posts: 7,854
    not sneaking around San Francisco snatching hump back whales, what the hell was that all about :-<

It was one of those sci-fi/future series things that involves trying to make us more aware about our problems so that we don't f*** up the future. I guarantee it failed. We don't listen to the messages imbedded in these things, because the people who need to see the message can't see the message.

A similar thing happened in the TOS episode with the half-black/half-white guys (where one was white on one side, and the "superior" one was white on the other side) which had commentary about racism.
    oh did you know ST and DW are cousins if not half brothers? they influenced each other a good deal over the years on both sides of the camera.

cybermen/borg.....cloned warriors....

what made TOS so good a lot of the stories were based on greek/minos/celtic myth and stories and a big helping of shakespeare. Series wise i am NG TOS DS9...

Wish they would HURRRRRYYYY up with the next film since Star Trek was great....now lets see both version of the Klingons.
    Of the odd numbered movies I always thought that III was the better and stronger. I was disappointed in TMP and V as well as IX. VII Generations was not that bad. Ten was kinda a letdown and did not live up to the high standard carried by even numbered films. II, VIII, and VI are my favorites.
  • @OHMSS69

I haven't seen the ones after the 8th release, and said before not really that much of a Next Generationsfan. The 7th ST movie released in 1994 with the new cast was not too bad, but they had pivotal figures involved from the original series such as Chekov, Scott and Kirk come back when they really should never had returned, their final curtain was in 1991's The Undiscovered Country, along with the rest of the original cast, having such pivotal figures come back again after the last film was really uncalled for. Generations was good, but I'd simply rather watch the old crew at work

@Agent007391

Whatever message it was trying to convey, that was not the place for it, there are plenty of suitable places for those kinds of things, but Star Trek material is not it, especially a feature film theatrical release. Nimoy directed this one and must take a share of the responsibility

Also the episode you refer to from the 1960s original series if memory serves was called 'Let that be your last battlefield', I'm almost certain of it. It was the one where Shatner threatens to blow up the Enterprise, and he, Doohan and Nimoy enter respective self destruct codes into the computer to prime a self destruction of the ship. This would be seen again in the 1984 theatrical release 'The Search For Spock', but this time involved different characters, and actually that time did blow up the Enterprise of all things, in one of the film series' 'WTF' moments, when it simply wasn't really necessary, all said it was just another determining factor in an overall poor release

@Baltimore_007

I know you are a bit of a purist, but I hope you will take the time and check out TNG. You can rent the seasons 1-7 on DVD and I hope you will watch the film ST VIII First Contact. You won't be disappointed. TNG characters will grow on you just as TOS grew on all of us.
    Well, @Baltimore_007, Star Trek had a lot of messages to convey, but they were only in TOS and TNG (no messages in DS9, VOY or ENT). The movies (besides maybe TMP) had no messages. Well, maybe Wrath of Khan, too, but that's pushing it. "Double dumb ass on you" was the only message The Voyage Home had.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 1,856
    What is Doctor Who doing in this :-L

This is what it's doing!!!!!!!!!

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2012/02/dwn140212120008-idw-announce-doctor.html
  • It's a damn stupid idea, the two are two separate entities from time, OK they tailor for the same kind of needs for an audience but we don't need a merger here

This only goes to illustrate the state of the 21st century, would such a thing have arisen when I was a kid, of course not, it would never have seen the light of day, but in this current climate anything goes it seems to gets kids interested or to make some money, I think it's a poor decision, I hope not too much comes out of it. Maybe I was getting a bit carried away as it's only a comic book and there's no real threat of any theatrical release or mixing of franchises at end of day, so I think there's no real harm done

Point being, one stands in one corner and the other has it's own designated space, i.e. Star Trek and Doctor Who, we don't need them blended together, they had plenty of opportunity since the 1960s to do such a thing but It was kept to an absolute minimum from what I can gather, long may it stay that way. Gene Roddenberry had the right idea and lived long enough to see his dreams and ideas realized, he would of not of wanted the two to get involved in each others business

Keep one thing to one area and the other to it's own space
  • Well, @Baltimore_007, Star Trek had a lot of messages to convey, but they were only in TOS and TNG (no messages in DS9, VOY or ENT). The movies (besides maybe TMP) had no messages. Well, maybe Wrath of Khan, too, but that's pushing it. "Double dumb ass on you" was the only message The Voyage Home had.

I disagree about DS9 lacking a message. I've always seen DS9 as an allegory for Palestine/Israel, the Cardassians being in the role of the Israeli's and the Bajorans in the role of the Palestinians. I think DS9 is one of my favorites and at times better than TNG (ducks as things are thrown at him). The only part where DS9 fails is conveying a far removed space station. Unfortunately as the series progressed, Earth seemed closer and closer (if I'm not mistaken DS9 visited Earth more often than any other series, save Enterprise).
    On another note, its interesting to see fans latter day opinions of Star Trek movies once deemed classics (Trek IV) and once seemed duds (Trek V). Much like Bond, some movies are appreciated well after the fact (either of Dalton's in the case of Bond). Thanks to posts here and on a Star Trek message board, I've reevaluated The Final Frontier (V), and don't think its as bad as people feel. It's not one of the stronger movies, but again like Bond, its still more watchable than other movies.

Well, @Baltimore_007, Star Trek had a lot of messages to convey, but they were only in TOS and TNG (no messages in DS9, VOY or ENT). The movies (besides maybe TMP) had no messages. Well, maybe Wrath of Khan, too, but that's pushing it. "Double dumb ass on you" was the only message The Voyage Home had.

I disagree about DS9 lacking a message. I've always seen DS9 as an allegory for Palestine/Israel, the Cardassians being in the role of the Israeli's and the Bajorans in the role of the Palestinians. I think DS9 is one of my favorites and at times better than TNG (ducks as things are thrown at him). The only part where DS9 fails is conveying a far removed space station. Unfortunately as the series progressed, Earth seemed closer and closer (if I'm not mistaken DS9 visited Earth more often than any other series, save Enterprise).
    On another note, its interesting to see fans latter day opinions of Star Trek movies once deemed classics (Trek IV) and once seemed duds (Trek V). Much like Bond, some movies are appreciated well after the fact (either of Dalton's in the case of Bond). Thanks to posts here and on a Star Trek message board, I've reevaluated The Final Frontier (V), and don't think its as bad as people feel. It's not one of the stronger movies, but again like Bond, its still more watchable than other movies.

I'll admit, my not noticing any message in DS9 comes from having seen less of that than any other series (Maybe two full seasons, and a few assorted episodes from other seasons). Also, when I first saw DS9, I didn't even know what Israel and Palestine were (I was seven).

I was never a fan of IV, mainly because I always felt that the series (TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT) had better time travel stories. Watching the film, it almost seems to me that the cast weren't taking the script seriously.
  • I've seen some deep space nine but instantly took a dislike to it, The Next Generation is as much as I can watch as regards to the original series, I'm not one for all the new series and all

I wanted to primarily talk about the 1960s series, official theatrical releases and OK fair enough TNG maybe, (Star Trek 1994 -), I've been watching more often lately. Did you know the girl out of The Motion Picture, can't remember her name, Ilia I think it was, came close to landing the lead as Octopussy but lost out to Maud Adams eventually, I didn't know that until recently. Even Bill Shatner apparently has never watched any of the theatrical releases of the series, not even the ones he has directed, only a couple of trailers and nothing more, I was a bit surprised, it's not as if they are truly bad pictures some of them

Maybe later I'll have a watch of The Motion Picture again, maybe I didn't pay full attention last time out and it's the first Movie release with the original crew 10 years after the 1960s series finished, so it may be something to wait for, they all look so young at the time and I kind of like it that way instead of later releases such as The Undiscovered Country where they all look visibly past it as tangible Star Trek characters, it might be nostalgic for die hards but that's how I feel about it

I don't like Picard as the Enterprise captain either, think he's too harsh, Kirk was someone I would of felt more comfortable having as a team leader, maybe you could talk to him more, Stewart always seemed a bit awkward, I don't know if it was the lack of hair or what it was, but just awkward. Maybe it's one reason why I prefer the original series best

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I would like to throw in some frustration of mine concerning the endless debate of SW versus ST. They are two completely separate things in my book.

SW:
    - fantasy
    - not interested in science / laws of physics
    - not interested in social commentaries
    - a fairy tale of good versus evil
    - uses space as a setting -> there's no focus on the exploration of space, the 'unknown', interspecies relations

ST:
    - science fiction
    - explores the possibilities of future science
    - plays like a metaphor for our social, political and cultural society
    - a message of good, peace
    - integrates space as part of the story, as a character almost -> we learn about space, we explore its mysteries and there's also the fact of human - alien relationships
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I would like to throw in some frustration of mine concerning the endless debate of SW versus ST. They are two completely separate things in my book.

SW:
    - fantasy
    - not interested in science / laws of physics
    - not interested in social commentaries
    - a fairy tale of good versus evil
    - uses space as a setting -> there's no focus on the exploration of space, the 'unknown', interspecies relations

ST:
    - science fiction
    - explores the possibilities of future science
    - plays like a metaphor for our social, political and cultural society
    - a message of good, peace
    - integrates space as part of the story, as a character almost -> we learn about space, we explore its mysteries and there's also the fact of human - alien relationships

Bold I don't exactly agree on this. There's commentary all through the prequels about current and past wars in our history (WW2, mostly), as well as the political realities of the time.

Underline I'm not sure I agree with this one, either. Everybody but the Force users complies with the laws of physics. The space craft themselves do. Hopefully, everybody is smart enough to understand: No sound in space=crap action scenes. (Sadly, there are people who still consider it a goof on the IMDB that Star Wars movies have sound in space.)