No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Let's cool it with the personal back-and-forth and get back on topic - whatever that means anymore.

Yeah. I am trying to figure out how this has happened. Folks, THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN! Lighten up!

• QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    edited July 2017 Posts: 1,187
    TripAces wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Let's cool it with the personal back-and-forth and get back on topic - whatever that means anymore.

Yeah. I am trying to figure out how this has happened. Folks, THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN! Lighten up!
    That's the plan. The question is if we can stick to it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I don't think there was any need to dump Craig after QoS. The film was quite successful given it was released at the worst time possible (just after the global financial crisis). Sure, it didn't make CR type numbers, but it held up as well as other sophomore efforts in comparison to the first films (with FRWL being the only exception, since it far surpassed Connery's first). Moreover, they had to contend with the writer's strike.

As I mentioned earlier, we are at a different time now. Craig has been in the role for 11 years (potentially 13 if B25 comes out in 2019), they've boxed themselves in with this brothergate rubbish (although I'm sure some will be able to justify that they can just ignore it, I don't see the point after what's come before with this reboot), and the prospect of another four year delay does present an excellent opportunity to go younger and fresher (Moore went to FYEO from MR in just two years).

SP did quite poorly stateside (yes, I realize the replies will come stating the US is not the be all and end all, and it certainly isn't. However, profitability is higher in the US market from what I have read, and the cultural impact of a successful Bond effort in the US goes a long way to buttressing global numbers). At the end of the day, I don't see anyone outside some in the 'die-hard' community clamouring for this Blofeld/Madeleine story to continue. Most people I have spoken to are somewhat ambivalent on Bond and take it on a film by film basis. The view on Craig remains overall positive, but as I said earlier, recent remarks and articles have left a bad taste and the general public is of the belief that he is done. So if he is in fact coming back, these positive 'leak' stories help to correct the overall perception.

I still believe there is a high chance he will be back if it's 2018, but if it's 2019 I believe we are going to see a soft reboot or a brand new vision.
    This rubbish rumour from the Mirror seems to be gaining traction. I heard it being discussed on morning radio today and a few friends on FB have posted about it too as if it's gospel. Ugh!
    bondjames wrote: »
    I don't think there was any need to dump Craig after QoS. The film was quite successful given it was released at the worst time possible (just after the global financial crisis). Sure, it didn't make CR type numbers, but it held up as well as other sophomore efforts in comparison to the first films (with FRWL being the only exception, since it far surpassed Connery's first). Moreover, they had to contend with the writer's strike.

As I mentioned earlier, we are at a different time now. Craig has been in the role for 11 years (potentially 13 if B25 comes out in 2019), they've boxed themselves in with this brothergate rubbish (although I'm sure some will be able to justify that they can just ignore it, I don't see the point after what's come before with this reboot), and the prospect of another four year delay does present an excellent opportunity to go younger and fresher (Moore went to FYEO from MR in just two years).

SP did quite poorly stateside (yes, I realize the replies will come stating the US is not the be all and end all, and it certainly isn't. However, profitability is higher in the US market from what I have read, and the cultural impact of a successful Bond effort in the US goes a long way to buttressing global numbers). At the end of the day, I don't see anyone outside some in the 'die-hard' community clamouring for this Blofeld/Madeleine story to continue. Most people I have spoken to are somewhat ambivalent on Bond and take it on a film by film basis. The view on Craig remains overall positive, but as I said earlier, recent remarks and articles have left a bad taste and the general public is of the belief that he is done. So if he is in fact coming back, these positive 'leak' stories help to correct the overall perception.

I still believe there is a high chance he will be back if it's 2018, but if it's 2019 I believe we are going to see a soft reboot or a brand new vision.
    All that would have been necessary after QoS was to openly announce that QoS was a bit of an experiment, that it was that from the outset, and that it was planned as a one-off experiment from the outset, and that the coming films would be different.

DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    It'll try to post it, basically it's a picture of Craig in the water from CR & underneath he wrote in capital letters "IN FROM MY PRODUCERS" followed by a summary of the recent news reports we've read online.

Here are the screenshots of Ron Milione's Instagram posts. Apparently, he was on the special effects team headed by Steve Begg:

IkSwyGe.jpg
    0T3dhpv.jpg
    VrKBX8T.jpg
    AySaqxr.jpg
    4zIi8Sb.jpg
    The next Bond 25 Movie? I wonder what kind of experience the last Bond 25 Movie was for him.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    If this guy is so much in the know, why is he mentioning the Adele story in his instagram?

Also, does the songwriter get considered so early in the process? I thought that was only something they looked into much later.

I seem to recall some insider chap making comments like this (about gadgets and what not) a few months ago too. Was it him?
    Could be @bondjames . Ah well, eventually there will be a Bond film ;-)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    The Daily Mirror is a rag. That is all.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Just for the record. About Ron Milione: https://www.facebook.com/RonMilioneIsAPlagiarist/

Not my page but I've heard nasty things about him...
    ggl007 wrote: »
    Just for the record. About Ron Milione: https://www.facebook.com/RonMilioneIsAPlagiarist/

Thanks mate. Good you found this. @ggl007 . A good piece of Bond-journalism ;-).
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

Thanks mate. Good you found this. @ggl007 . A good piece of Bond-journalism ;-).

Yep, really adds to his journalistic credence!

I'm pretty sure the guy's a scammer. All his FB posts are pictures and quotes pulled from other sites. And he's not listed as having worked on any Bond movies, ever.
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    It'll try to post it, basically it's a picture of Craig in the water from CR & underneath he wrote in capital letters "IN FROM MY PRODUCERS" followed by a summary of the recent news reports we've read online.

Here are the screenshots of Ron Milione's Instagram posts. Apparently, he was on the special effects team headed by Steve Begg:

IkSwyGe.jpg
    0T3dhpv.jpg
    VrKBX8T.jpg
    AySaqxr.jpg
    4zIi8Sb.jpg

Obviously the keyword here is "apparently".
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited July 2017 Posts: 9,117
    You know from his post hes full of crap.

Anyone who had actually worked for EON and had any aspiration to do so again would not go round saying 'Barbara said this and Barbara said that' as you can be sure that the next thing she would say would be 'You're never working on a Bond film again.'

EON hire professionals not clickbait tossers.

• SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    And you know it because....

A lot of people work on productions like this. It's not uncommon that someone says something. That's why you have sources.

BTW, it only seems he copied-pasted some report
  • RC7RC7
    You know from his post hes full of crap.

Anyone who had actually worked for EON and had any aspiration to do so again would not go round saying 'Barbara said this and Barbara said that' as you can be sure that the next thing she would say would be 'You're never working on a Bond film again.'

Exactly. Warned people about this tosser before, but people would rather believe random clowns than dedicated fans who have no reason to misinform.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    This Ron guy is bullsh*ting, 100%.
  • You know from his post hes full of crap.

When Eon-employed people do venture onto social media, they're very circumspect. Chris Corbould posts some things on Twitter (not just Bond but his other movie projects). But he's a relatively infrequent poster.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 386
    FWIW my partner is in no way a Bond fan and was the one who alerted me to the story. She also remembered Craig as the one who'd "rather slash his wrists" than return as Bond. Unfair perhaps, but that story resonated at the time.

Personally I love DC as Bond, it is easy to under-value his leviathan effort in revitalising this thing after the Brosnan excesses.

Having said that, I am mildly concerned about his mooted return on two fronts:

1) The asking price (considering the lack of suitable replacements) is now a significant portion of the budget.

2) DC seems to lean towards emotionally wrought character arcs. If he is indeed self-conscious about the age thing, I fear we will get another film that riffs on the 'old dog, new tricks' mine that SF already plundered.

A final DC film is welcome, but the margin for error is much greater if he returns. Overdo the personal arc and it will become turgid. Neglect the innate sensitivity of DC and we end up with another SP.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Yeah these stories are bull. It's the same damn nonsense in every article.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    jake24 wrote: »

Which explains why supposedly "credible" news outlets are repeating the Mirror story. I bet they incorrectly think that this guy is legitimate, and are buying the story as fact and spreading it.
    jake24 wrote: »

Which explains why supposedly "credible" news outlets are repeating the Mirror story. I bet they incorrectly think that this guy is legitimate, and are buying the story as fact and spreading it.

I would argue, again, that they are only repeating it after ascertaining for themselves, by vetting the reporting and sources, that the report has significant merit. And let's be honest: it isn't exactly shocking news, is it?
    Do we have a distribution deal yet? If not I wouldn't pay too much attention to this story for the time being.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Just my opinion folks but, it seems like FOX and SONY are the front runners.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 4,554
    Do we have a distribution deal yet? If not I wouldn't pay too much attention to this story for the time being.

No. BUT...wouldn't it make sense for EON to get DC signed to secure the best bid it can from one of the studios? I mean, trying to land a new Bond while also trying to get a new studio on board would be a nightmare scenario.
    TripAces wrote: »

No. BUT...wouldn't it make sense for EON to get DC signed to secure the best bid it can from one of the studios? I mean, trying to land a new Bond while also trying to get a new studio on board would be a nightmare scenario.
    Unless they already have replacements in the wings. I'm sure they've been interviewing over these few years (they always do).

Yes, I can imagine that a film with a lead actor attached to it is easier to sell. However, I would think a director and a script would be just if not more important, particularly in the case of Bond, which is not a one man show by any means.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The film industry is an industry that relies on dollars and cents to breathe, like any other business.

Whether you like Craig or not, he is Bond, and he brings bank. Big bank. The general film audience seems to respond to him... And, in such a way that hasn't been seen since Connery... The general opinion seems to like this bad ass 007...

EoN, being far more wise of the ins and outs, can clearly see: CR and SF were mega-hits with QoS, less so, and SP, far so...

But what remains a constant: DC is highly f*cking regarded in the role by the general audience/critics. No matter the film.

Read that again: no matter the film. I have come into contact with NO ONE who has said that DC is washed up, too old, too this or that...

The criticism is laid at the feet of the story-tellers. QoS (which I LOVE, after a time of analysis), and SP; have been described, in so many words, as being "over-edited" in the former; f*cking boring for the latter.

But I never hear, or have heard, outside of the MI6 DC bashers, that the cause of sludge we've seen (especially in the latter film), is because of the present Bond. Unfortunately for the bashers, DC is as interesting in the role, and as vibrant as ever...

The two films that were below "par" were maligned for direction and story-telling...

EoN is wise to this. Keep the goose that lays the golden egg (Craig), but, I hope and pray, they fix the story-telling aspect (Mendes hit a home-run with SF, grounded out with SP; the writers need to see that "stakes" and "obstacles" tossed in front of 007 are good, not "tropes" of beats that have come before...)
    I think we should be mindful of the fact that the USD (in which Bond film revenue and costs are measured) has appreciated against all major currencies since 2015, including most notably the UK£ (where Bond receives its highest non-US gross), C$, Chinese Remnibi & Aussie $. The Euro has held up well against the USD, but if the Fed raises rates a few times in the next few quarters then I wouldn't be surprised if it moves ahead of the Eurozone currency as well.

This is an important factor for EON and crew (particularly finance driven MGM) to consider, because North American gross may start to become more important on a relative scale.