What if George Lazenby had been in Diamonds Are Forever?

Comments

• I may be shunned for this, but in this day in age, what with the new Superman and Spider-Man both being played by English actors, I feel like maybe after Craig is done, the right American actor could have a chance

*edit-- of course, I may only be saying that because I want to play him! ;D

Im an American too but I firmly believe that under no circumstances should an American ever play Bond. In regards to British actors playing American roles in all fairness they're much much better actors.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited January 2012 Posts: 5,921
    I may be shunned for this, but in this day in age, what with the new Superman and Spider-Man both being played by English actors, I feel like maybe after Craig is done, the right American actor could have a chance

I'm American and I am outraged by this comment. The character of Bond should always be British.

I know John Gavin was signed, probably because American films were on the rise post-Easy Rider, the same reason why DAF and LALD are so U.S.-based. Gavin on the heels of Lazenby probably would have killed Bond for good, so we have Connery to thank for that not happening.

Was James Brolin ever signed, or was it just a negotiating ploy? Kind of a "We can carry on without you"? It seems like Moore was always threatening to quit but kept coming back.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I may be shunned for this, but in this day in age, what with the new Superman and Spider-Man both being played by English actors, I feel like maybe after Craig is done, the right American actor could have a chance

I see the point you are trying to make, but Spiderman and Superman haven't had a 50 year film series grossing billions of dollars over half a century. And EON has more respect for their property than Sony or whomever do. I'm sorry, but I find it extremely unlikely for an American Bond to ever rise.
    i would have no problem if an american played Bond as long as the accent was ok...
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    gaz4007 wrote:
    i would have no problem if an american played Bond as long as the accent was ok...

Robert Downey Jr.?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    He's 46.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 1,778
    That'd be a disaterous casting decision. He'd make Bond overly snarky and really annoying.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 4,813
    Well like I said, it would certainly take someone special. And don't forget: we were this close to getting Burt Reynolds at one point!
    Actors are ACTORS. There are so many off the top of my head that use accents that aren't their own.

Wolverine is Canadian. Hugh Jackman is Australian.
    Batman is American. Christian Bale is from Wales.
    Sherlock Holmes is British. RDJ is an American
    Margaret Thatcher is SUPER British and Meryl Streep is playing her now!

With Batman for example-- I remember back in 2005, I saw an interview with Bale and he was speaking with his accent and I thought it was so cool-- back then I hadn't seen him in anything else and I legitimately thought his 'Bruce Wayne' accent was his own!

I'm only saying that it's been going on for so long anyway that the idea isn't that out of the question!

Anyway sorry for going OT. Yes Lazenby should have absolutely done Diamonds Are Forever ;)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    echo wrote:
    Was James Brolin ever signed, or was it just a negotiating ploy? Kind of a "We can carry on without you"? It seems like Moore was always threatening to quit but kept coming back.

I don't know but I do know Cubby took Brolin out to all of the places he took Connery and Moore. He was very serious it seemed about Brolin taking over the role of Bond. In interviews on the Octopussy DVD Brolin mentions this took a good few weeks and Cubby really took him "under his wing". Thankfully it never happened.
  • Just going over old ground but in any event James Bond should ideally be British, Yes we have had an antipodean play the part but George only did the one film, it worked to an extent in 1969 but today I don't feel I would be entirely happy with another Australian in the part again, they should maybe leave it as it was. I hope I never get to see the days when we have a US bond in the role, it would just feel totally inappropriate
  • I feel like I should re-phrase my point a bit, I'm afraid of becoming an outcast, lol

I like Bond to be played by a Brit as well-- but I was just saying, if the right guy came along, I mean he had the look, the attitude, the talent, etc. he shouldn't be shown the door just for being American, that's all
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Dr_Metz wrote:
    Two words: John. Gavin. DAF could have been, much, much worse than you all think it is.

You're right on the money there. When I look back at some of the men that were close to becoming Bond I can't help but scratch my head. Both John Gavin and James Brolin were more than considered, they were signed on for a short period of time. They're two of the most bland and uninspired actors I've ever seen. They're not terrible actors, they're just not good ones either. The casting of Sean Connery was so inspired and perfect. Then I look at those two and wonder if EON was simply content to cast anyone with the right look.

If you don't believe me check out these autrocious screentests by James Brolin.

I feel like I should re-phrase my point a bit, I'm afraid of becoming an outcast, lol

I like Bond to be played by a Brit as well-- but I was just saying, if the right guy came along, I mean he had the look, the attitude, the talent, etc. he shouldn't be shown the door just for being American, that's all

I could maybe see an American pulling it off, if he were a complete unknown. Whenever I watch an American doing a British accent, whether it's Downey, Jr. or Angelina Jolie or whoever, I can't help thinking "That's an American doing a British accent." Yes, even Meryl Streep.

Of course the British tabloids would rake this theoretical actor over the coals--if they got mad that Craig is blond, can you imagine if a new Bond actor were American?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    DarthDimi wrote:
    He's 46.

I was just talking accent. And he doesn't look 46... hm...
    gaz4007 wrote:

Robert Downey Jr.?

/
    I agree. As much as everyone here knows Sean is like a god to me, I still would've liked to see what George would've done in DAF in a revenge tale. I'm sorry, but all DAF is is a campy mess that was lost potential. The only moment of revenge we see is in the PTS, and Bond doesn't even kill the correct Blofeld for Christ sake. A DAF with Lazenby could've been the serious film and successful outing DAF 1971 should've been, and we would've gotten a brilliant Bond v.s. Blofeld minus the campy additions that plague Moore's entire era.

I agree and have just changed my mind from an earlier post. The biggest let down was the abandoning of the revenge element for the killing of Tracey. Regardless of who played Bond in DAF they should have continued in that vein rather than have a cartton Blofeld. Anyway, Lazenby walked away from the role so it was his own fault! And Connery was definitely looking too unfit for the part.

• Connery in DAF was something all right.....
    The scene that always sticks out (image burned into my brain) is that one part where Connery strips down in front of Tiffany and it finally shows him go to switch off the light. He's so gross and hairy with his squiggly long sideburns and gut hanging out!! He looked like he could have capped off the scene like this:
    '.....and you're the hearty breakfast, right? BUUURRRPPPP'
    I mean for god sake, you're getting payed so much to come back to this role, would it kill you to do a SIT UP???
    I know it sounds like I'm hating on Connery-- I'm really not, I think he's great, but he really didn't belong in this flick....
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I must be one of the few but I'm not overly bothered about the idea of an American playing Bond. Yeah I know he's meant to be English but we've had an Aussie play him and he's now regarded as something of a cult figure. As long as he's a reasonably good actor and can pass himself off as Bond I'm sold.

I say this as an Englishman.

Also, didn't Fleming suggest a few Americans?

Thirdly Gerry Anderson - a fairly big figure in English entertainment - used his fair share of American actors in lead roles. Namely Ed Bishop (Captain Blue in Captain Scarlet) and Shane Rimmer (Scott Tracy in Thunderbirds). Both, as you know, were also in Bond films.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I must be one of the few but I'm not overly bothered about the idea of an American playing Bond. Yeah I know he's meant to be English but we've had an Aussie play him and he's now regarded as something of a cult figure. As long as he's a reasonably good actor and can pass himself off as Bond I'm sold.

I'm sure. Cary Grant most definitely, possibly Gregory Peck. Clint Eastwood and Burt Reynolds were offered the role in the past, but honorably declined it like sensible men because they felt a Yankee shouldn't do it.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2012 Posts: 15,686
    Well EON did screentest a croatian actor for CR, so anything's possible....
    I don't think Bond should be played by a huge American movie star, perhaps an "Indie" figure would be more appropriate. A big star like Clint Eastwood would have been too distracting IMO - he's TOO American.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2012 Posts: 15,686
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I don't think Bond should be played by a huge American movie star, perhaps an "Indie" figure would be more appropriate. A big star like Clint Eastwood would have been too distracting IMO - he's TOO American.

Just like Colin Firth or Hugh Grant wouldn't be appropriate for Bond... it seems whenever someone says 'American Bond' everyone thinks Clooney, Damon, DiCaprio, Will Smith... there are indie figures as you say that can easily pass for a british person...

• EXACTLY.
  • echo wrote:

He was only hours away from being signed.

As i understand it, he was given the green light by Cubby and was put up in the Dorchester Hotel. He was told that if Moore does not sign up for OP by a deadline the next morning he would be announced as the next Bond.

Obviously Moore did sign up at the 11th hour so thankfully we never had to suffer Brolin as Bond.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Well, if they took out all the camp that just plain destroyed DAF (lose Shady Tree, at least, I hate him; stupid name, no real significance and not even... he was in what, five minutes of the movie and people think he's memorable? How is an old man barking at people and telling bad jokes memorable?!), it wouldn't matter who played Bond (it could have been Adam West) and DAF would have been far superior to what we have as DAF.

na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na james bond!

I only know west for 2 things, batman and for being the crazy mayor in family guy, so to be fair I can't judge if maybe he's actually a good actor who could've been bond.
  • BAIN123 wrote:

I'm sure. Cary Grant most definitely, possibly Gregory Peck. Clint Eastwood and Burt Reynolds were offered the role in the past, but honorably declined it like sensible men because they felt a Yankee shouldn't do it.

He also turned down die hard. So burt was almost in both my top 2 film franchises.

i had developed a thread about this but it seems to have died
  • As just mentioned, James Bond should be intransigently British. I really couldn't accept him any other way. George did the one time in 1969 but it's water under the bridge now, it was only one film and not too bad a performance or release even and with hindsight I don't have a problem with an Australian having the one go, but from then on (Brosnan was Irish but didn't have the accent and was plausible in the role) and until the series comes to an end, 007 should, to all intents and purposes, be a British agent (i.e. UK born actor)
  • If bond had always been played by an english actor I'd say no americans, but we've already had a scottish bond, an aussie, a welshman and an irishman. So if the american can pull of the right accent then by all means go for it.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 774
    Since Bond is a British film, I'd like to see it remain peopled with British actors. It's a big opportunity for British or European actors to become huge stars. Look at all the British talent it has introduced to the world.

I'm an Australian, and I feel a real connection to England and Ireland (strong ancestral links) so it makes me happy to see the films retain a British heritage. I'm pretty strongly opposed to an American Bond, it just wouldn't feel right.

But back on topic, Lazenby definitely should've done a few more. OHMSS is quite good, and the revenge subplot could've made DAF far more interesting. DAF left me dissatisfied, particularly since Tracy's death and the revenge on Blofeld was barely addressed. The final scene of OHMSS leaves me in tears each time I see it. Sports and Tracy Bond, the only things to bring me to tears.

Lazenby could've done so well... Shame, really.
    Volante wrote:
    Since Bond is a British film, I'd like to see it remain peopled with British actors. It's a big opportunity for British or European actors to become huge stars. Look at all the British talent it has introduced to the world.

I'm an Australian, and I feel a real connection to England and Ireland (strong ancestral links) so it makes me happy to see the films retain a British heritage. I'm pretty strongly opposed to an American Bond, it just wouldn't feel right.

But back on topic, Lazenby definitely should've done a few more. OHMSS is quite good, and the revenge subplot could've made DAF far more interesting. DAF left me dissatisfied, particularly since Tracy's death and the revenge on Blofeld was barely addressed. The final scene of OHMSS leaves me in tears each time I see it. Sports and Tracy Bond, the only things to bring me to tears.

Lazenby could've done so well... Shame, really.

I've never been a fan of DAF and am not sure Lazer could have improved it. I sort of fear that if he'd done DAF then the series might have died.