Former Bond Girl and Natalie Wood's sister Lana now homeless .

edited April 2017 in Actors Posts: 19,339
FYI,this just in from Fox News,such a shame :

Lana Wood became Hollywood royalty when she starred as sizzling Bond Girl Plenty O’Toole opposite Sean Connery in 1971’s “Diamonds Are Forever” — but now, the sister of late actress Natalie Wood is homeless.

Inside Edition reported that the 71-year-old is staying in a motel room outside of Los Angeles with her daughter Evan, her son-in-law, three grandchildren and two dogs while struggling to make ends meet.

“It’s been very difficult for the kids,” said Wood to the televised news magazine. “They feel like they have no privacy.”

Wood, who once wore glamorous gowns for a living and enjoyed fine dining in Hollywood, now shops for bargains at Goodwill and can only fit water and a few snacks in a makeshift kitchen. While Wood previously lived with Evan and their grandchildren in a rented home in California for several years, they had to move out when they couldn’t afford the rent. And with no one willing to take them in, the family faced homelessness.

But the challenges didn’t end there.

The site added that Evan battled Hodgkin’s lymphoma and her radiation treatments permanently scarred her lungs. She breathes through an oxygen compressor and her cancer has since returned. The family’s financial crisis has worsened with the growing medical bills. Wood also needs two knee replacement surgeries.

“You live in a snow globe and the world is upside down, emotional,” explained Wood. “It’s like the rugs have been pulled out from under you. And it’s just difficult to cope with. I don’t know how much more we can take.”

When asked what happened, Wood responded “real life.”

But just six years ago, Wood’s life was completely different. At the time, she was living in a two-story California home and was pressing her late sister’s husband, actor Robert Wagner, for answers about Natalie’s sudden death in 1981 from a mysterious drowning. Authorities have since said Wagner is not a suspect and he denies any involvement in her passing.

Wagner previously spoke to Fox News about his love for Natalie.

“Natalie was such a special, marvelous woman and we found each other twice in our lives… how lucky I was,” he explained. “I just had such wonderful times with her… she was just a marvelous, marvelous light. My light and the light for our children. She was just such a special person.”

Wood revealed that if her beloved sibling were alive today, she would be “devastated” and "fix" the problems she’s now faced with.

Wood’s friend Gregor Gillespie has recently set up a GoFundMe page in hopes of raising funds for the fallen star.

“Lana is currently packing rapidly and trying to get her belongings out of the property before the sheriff locks her out,” he wrote. “She also does not have the money to put down for another house… everything is on her shoulders at the minute and nobody at Lana’s age should be stuck in this position, especially after what she’s been through. The stress of this for her is what worries me more than anything.”

Gillespie also added that he set a goal of raising $10,000 as a means to help Lana obtain a new home for her and her family. So far, the page has raised $7,045.

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I see no one is commenting. I haven t either, but not because I don t care. But what to say? Sure it is the same for most others.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Didn't see this thread until now. Here's some good news, though:

https://www.gofundme.com/lanawood

It had a goal of reaching $10,000, and is now up to $26,000.
    That is indeed good news...nice one Creasy !
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Didn't see this thread until now. Here's some good news, though:

It had a goal of reaching $10,000, and is now up to $26,000.

So there are good people out there.
    Hopefully that helps her out as much as possible. Nice to see there's still some good in the world.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Sad news about a lovely lady. I hope life works out for her again.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited May 2017 Posts: 28,694
    I see no one is commenting. I haven t either, but not because I don t care. But what to say? Sure it is the same for most others.

That's basically how I feel: what is there to say?

Hopefully things turn out better for Lana. She dazzled in DAF (quite fittingly) and it's always sad to see a light like that dim. The story gives me flashes of Angela Scoular's story, really. Seeing Ruby, the character, so full of light and wit in OHMSS and discovering the struggling Scoular beneath was a similar moment of sadness for me. You just never know what people face inside themselves.
  • it is a shame she had such large breasts and now the sparkle has faded oh well what can you say
    it is a shame she had such large breasts and now the sparkle has faded oh well what can you say

That's a bit heartless. I wouldn't have continued the discussion if I knew this was the direction we were going.
  • i like the gofundme that is very nice and humane update to the story
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    it is a shame she had such large breasts and now the sparkle has faded oh well what can you say

That's a bit heartless. I wouldn't have continued the discussion if I knew this was the direction we were going.

It brings a whole new meaning to the phrase, "it's gone tits up."
    i like the gofundme that is very nice and humane update to the story

That's better.
  • I expected somebody would get rude & crude eventually. Nice to see my instincts are still accurate...
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Unfortunate that this has gotten to female breasts. Although, I find it rather titilating.
    I met & got Lanas autograph at the Bond Film Festival in Chicago in 2014. She was a very nice lady.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Gravity I'm afraid has no respect for age or beauty .
    As cynical as I can be about modern times, Kickstarter has proved to be useful in moments like this when people can pledge money from all over the globe to help certain people in need. Sometimes scams happen that are litigious nightmares, but other times we have repetitions of this cycle with Lana where people just want to lend a small hand to someone they feel sympathy for. A victory for humans, in short.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Are you guys for real? Using a thread such as this to start making crude puns? Ought to be ashamed.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    General trolling - the usual crap. We have to live with it unfortunately.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 4,622
    "$100
    Graham Rye
    1 month ago

007 MAGAZINE gets the ball rolling! Lots more to come from everyone please! This is a *very* worthy cause!"

I also see that,fellow Bond Girl, Mary Stavin, OP& AVTAK, chipped in $100.
    Lana does need help. She's ill and so is her daughter, who has three kids, plus there's two dogs. The son-in-law is working, but it's not enough.
    They need a leg up to get a proper home
    and pay bills.
    I've chipped in. Even $10.00 helps. With this kind of funding, all the little bits can add up to a lot

The total is up to 29k +
    It would be nice if some heavy hitters from the film industry were to reach out privately too
    Maybe they have, but GoFundMe campaigns are a great vehicle for those of modest means to pool resources and help others.
    You can even elect to donate privately ie anonymous-your name won't be published.
    This option apears after the "confirm" button.

I hope things continue to improve for Lana and anyone else who finds themselves in similar situations
    timmer wrote: »
    "$100
    Graham Rye
    1 month ago

007 MAGAZINE gets the ball rolling! Lots more to come from everyone please! This is a *very* worthy cause!"

I also see that,fellow Bond Girl, Mary Stavin, OP& AVTAK, chipped in $100.
    Lana does need help. She's ill and so is her daughter, who has three kids, plus there's two dogs. The son-in-law is working, but it's not enough.
    They need a leg up to get a proper home
    and pay bills.
    I've chipped in. Even $10.00 helps. With this kind of funding, all the little bits can add up to a lot

The total is up to 29k +
    It would be nice if some heavy hitters from the film industry were to reach out privately too
    Maybe they have, but GoFundMe campaigns are a great vehicle for those of modest means to pool resources and help others.
    You can even elect to donate privately ie anonymous-your name won't be published.
    This option apears after the "confirm" button.

I've put £10 in for her..
    @barryt007
    I did a micro too, $20. Micro donations are the norm for this kind of fundraising. Every bit counts. The $$ she has raised are from multitudes of micro-donations, plus $100 here and there from big Bond names like Graham Rye and the Ice Flo Girl herself, Mary Stavin :)
    Bond fans are stepping up. I'm not sure what other fan base she might have.
    The goal is to get the six of them into a proper home, ideally a small house, I would guess.
    She's very appreciative.

"I cannot begin to express how deeply grateful and moved I am by the outpouring of love and generosity!
    Every one of you are what's keeping hope alive for me. I've gone from hysterics and deep depression to milder depression and exhaustion. Tears are no longer at the forefront, they are minimized...
    I'm still without a place to go, and the rents I'm encountering are about a third higher than what I had been paying. California...
    Please keep us in your prayers, and don't forget I haven't met the goal yet.
    I've found one doable house, but I still haven't been approved.
    I've learned many lessons through this, and am grateful for them all...
    But first...grateful for you!"

And earlier

"My gratitude, shock, amazement and soul searing thanks are I sufficiently expressed with words...
    It almost seems unreal or a dream...I don't think I've ever ever, in my entire life felt so cared about and loved...
    I seriously didn't think I'd make it through this part of my life. It felt like the end.
    You have literally saved a life at a time when my family and I were hopeless..
    I will never let any of you down. I promise
    God bless and watch over all of you...
    With all my heart
    I love you all"

Bless her....it shows how people can do good if they put their hearts and minds to it.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 3,273
    I feel sorry for her, and its a shame this has happened, but she has had a privileged life before, and there are far more homeless people out there in far worse conditions, and wondered why people aren't pledging money to save them too?

I lived in India for 2 years and saw far worse things that human beings had to endure. I'm trying not be heartless with this post, but to give a sense of perspective.

She is living in a hotel room, still has work lined up according to IMDB, and not living on the dirty streets of somewhere like Mumbai. The one thing she is missing is the luxurious lifestyle she has been accustomed to, and so us mere mortals with far less money than she had in her prime are willing to fork out and donate for her, because she once had brief screen time in a Bond film?

If you are going to donate your hard earned for charity, I suggest you look elsewhere for far more worthy causes and to people who need it far more.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 4,622
    @jetsetwilly you're welcome to not donate of course, but her plight is real.
    So I'm happy to help. No strings.The cause is "plenty" worthy.

=====As an aside, and not that it matters a whit, but I don't get the impression she has lived a life of luxury for quite some time. Her fame was rather fleeting I think. But even if she was an ex-billionaire, down is still down.
    When people need help, they need help. It doesn't matter really how they got there. I am not going to judge.
    Reminds me of something Mother Theresa famously said to a woman in England, who wanted to come to Calcutta, and help with her work with the poor.
    She told her thanks, but to look to her own Calcutta ie those in need where she lived, in her Calcutta.
    As a die-hard Bond fan, I can consider Lana Wood to be part of my Calcutta. Just as the local soup kitchen I used to work in was.
    I would have been oblivious if @barryt007 hadn't posted. Her plight found my radar, only because I frequent these message boards, part of my Calcutta, my turf, so to speak
    Trust me I don't donate money unless the spirit moves me, and in this case it did.
    I hope she can get her family back into a decent size house. Hundreds of micro donations might do the trick.
    But again, one doesn't​ need to justify one's charitable actions.
    If the spirit moves, you give.
    If if feels difficult, then one probably shouldn't give.
    Mercy, charity etc comes with no strings.

Anyway, I fully respect that you don't​ feel moved to give in this situation.
    As you say there are no shortage of situations in need of a hand up.

timmer wrote: »
    @jetsetwilly you're welcome to not donate of course, but her plight is real.
    So I'm happy to help. No strings.The cause is "plenty" worthy.

=====As an aside, and not that it matters a whit, but I don't get the impression she has lived a life of luxury for quite some time. Her fame was rather fleeting I think. But even if she was an ex-billionaire, down is still down.
    When people need help, they need help. It doesn't matter really how they got there. I am not going to judge.
    Reminds me of something Mother Theresa famously said to a woman in England, who wanted to come to Calcutta, and help with her work with the poor.
    She told her thanks, but to look to her own Calcutta ie those in need where she lived, in her Calcutta.
    As a die-hard Bond fan, I can consider Lana Wood to be part of my Calcutta. Just as the local soup kitchen I used to work in was.
    I would have been oblivious if @barryt007 hadn't posted. Her plight found my radar, only because I frequent these message boards, part of my Calcutta, my turf, so to speak
    Trust me I don't donate money unless the spirit moves me, and in this case it did.
    I hope she can get her family back into a decent size house. Hundreds of micro donations might do the trick.
    But again, one doesn't​ need to justify one's charitable actions.
    If the spirit moves, you give.
    If if feels difficult, then one probably shouldn't give.
    Mercy, charity etc comes with no strings.

Anyway, I fully respect that you don't​ feel moved to give in this situation.
    As you say there are no shortage of situations in need of a hand up.

Yes, fair enough.
    FYI, update from Lana to GoFund Me contributors
    ====

Copy-paste below

Lana says...

Thank you so much for the donation. Bless your heart! You are an angel. We are still trying to get our feet on the ground, trying to move on but its very difficult
    Thanks @timmer for the update...good man.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 4,622
    @barryt007 Same to you for alerting us to her plight in the first place!

The above was the email that she sent out to each donor.

Here's the latest tally from the GoFundMe site.
    Emergency Gofund me for Lana Wood
    $29,635 of $10k goal from 485 people

==And this I think is her latest posting which follows the one below it.
    Sounds like she and her troupe found a place
    ==
    Dearest Angels! Do you realize I would be living under a bridge if not for all of you!
    I finally found some dining room chairs at a thrift shop, got them put under our patched table and two have already broken! I think my boys need to learn to be a bit more gentle with chairs!
    I'm so grateful simply to have them and be able to sit at a table to have take out pizza!
    I've also spent several days now without crying. Believe me it's a big step.
    My osteo and rheumatoid arthritis has escalated to such a point, it's really hard to walk to the handicap cart in the market. But I'm so grateful to be able to buy groceries, it certainly dulls the pain!
    Bless you all!

I'm still in dozens of boxes, and trying to get the household set up. Determined to make this a home and not just a shelter. Although a shelter is a great blessing and relief.
    I know I've received negative comments as well as the blessings and love which greatly outnumbered the negatives.
    Help spread the word!

==earlier update

New update!
    My gratitude, shock, amazement and soul searing thanks are not sufficiently expressed with words...
    It almost seems unreal or a dream...I don't think I've ever ever, in my entire life felt so cared about and loved...
    I seriously didn't think I'd make it through this part of my life. It felt like the end.
    You have literally saved a life at a time when my family and I were hopeless..
    I will never let any of you down. I promise
    God bless and watch over all of you...
    With all my heart
    I love you all