The Mandela Effect

jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
edited December 2018 in Bond Movies Posts: 10,586
For those who are not yet familiar with this phenomenon, the "Mandela Effect" is a term that, in short, describes false memory. This originated when a woman and many others who backed her up, claimed to have been sure of Nelson Mandela's death occurring in the 1980s during his time in prison. Though in actuality, Mandela died as a free man 2013.

I created this thread because I came across a rather interesting article from MI6, where the site took to social media asking Bond fans 'what factor first attracted Jaws to Dolly in Moonraker.' The majority of them claimed her "braces" were the number one contributer to the couple's love at first sight.

https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/moonraker-dolly-did-not-wear-braces?id=04178

However, as many if us know, Dolly never wore braces at any point during the film. So, I ask you - was there ever a point where you were 100% sure of something occurring in the Bond universe, only to revisit it and learn of its lack of existence? Was there a part of you that always assumed Dolly sported a pair of braces?

Discuss...

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I think it's disputed whether she wore braces or not. Some believe she did, some would swear otherwise. No one really knows the truth, it's one of those mysteries that surround the franchise, just like no one knows for sure how old Timothy Dalton is.
  • Hello folks (or "Ffolkes" :) ), I'm new here and this is my first post. This subject recently came up among some film collector friends. One knew of a person who has an original 1979 35mm theatrical print, and that person was gracious enough to pass along some screencaps which show that when seen in cinemas upon the film's original release, Dolly did not have braces.
    Dolly_No_Braces_zpsdpluyrnt.jpg
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I suppose that whole full frontal nudity scene in TLD applies here too. Many people believe that Pushkin's girl is shown full frontal for some reason, once Bond barges into the room.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Pages and pages of speculation of what was only a quick glimpse of Side Boob belonging to a certain Miss Virginia Hey I-)
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    What they say is that the full frontal scene was filmed, but it didn't test well.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited November 2016 Posts: 10,586
    Birdleson wrote: »
    We already had a thread like this. About two years ago. I don't remember what it was called.
    I couldn't find one, but if there is then mods feel free to close this one.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I think there was some thread on this more recently too.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    If there is, feel free to close this one. It's an interesting discussion nonetheless.
  • I was thinking about Blanche Ravalec earlier today and, yep, I remembered her with braces.
    She has a fine set of teeth.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    It was discussed on here (about Dolly) but I think it was within another thread like the Bond Question Thread. It was proved conclusively that she didn't wear braces. And even the actress has confirmed she didn't.

This thread is asking a different question re: The Mandela Effect, of which Dolly is probably the Bond world's most famous one.
    Worth a watch...

I myself thought Dolly had braces though back in the day watching MR on relatively poor colour TV's and Black and White TV's it was difficult to make out details on occasion, a shadow or blur on Dollys mouth may have made me think she had braces.

• Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    OK, I've got one. I was, and to an extent still am, positive that the first time I saw TLD (on UK TV in the early '90s) I witnessed the 'flying carpet' scene. But I can't have done.
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    OK, I've got one. I was, and to an extent still am, positive that the first time I saw TLD (on UK TV in the early '90s) I witnessed the 'flying carpet' scene. But I can't have done.

You did not.
    First time I was introduced to a Bond was Goldfinger...couldn't have been older than four or five. I distinctly remembering Brosnan wearing that white tuxedo. Years later when I became a bigger fan, I was surprised to see that Brosnan never even wore anything like it.
    CrzChris4 wrote: »
    First time I was introduced to a Bond was Goldfinger...couldn't have been older than four or five. I distinctly remembering Brosnan wearing that white tuxedo. Years later when I became a bigger fan, I was surprised to see that Brosnan never even wore anything like it.

You must have seen him in Remington Steele, he wore an ivory dinner jacket in that.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I am more curious about the fact that Mandela died in jail in the 80s and never became president.
    Well, there's that rumour that Shirley Eaton died during the filming of Goldfinger, due to being suffocated by gold paint. Not only did this not happen (Mythbusters disproved that theory), but according to IMDB and Wikipedia, she did quite a few movies afterwards (not all of good quality, I'm sorry to say) and is still alive today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirley_Eaton

imdb.com/name/nm0247881/

snopes.com/movies/films/goldfinger.asp

But somehow, that rumour still persists.
    Some people still believe thatPaul Mc Cartney died in the 60s and was replaced by a doppelganger. Anything is possible of course, but the same people believe Elvis is still alive.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Nonsense! Elvis is clearly an alien.
    Yes, he just went back to his planet ;)
    Not Bondian, but one of the all-time great howlers is "Play it again, Sam." Bogart never says this in Casablanca. In fact, nobody does.
  • octofinger wrote: »
    Not Bondian, but one of the all-time great howlers is "Play it again, Sam." Bogart never says this in Casablanca. In fact, nobody does.

Actually it is Bondian and Roger Moore does say it. ;)
    It is easy to confuse Moonraker with Casablanca.
  • GBFGBF
    Another fun facht with regard to Casablanca is that

in the German tanslation the Bogard's line "Here's looking at you, kid" is translated into German to "Schau mir in die Augen, Kleines" which means something completely different [Look into my eyes, baby].

However, the German line has become extremely well known and is probaly the most famous line in the history of cinema in Germany. And this is the case, even though the film has been redubbed long ago to change that mistranslation. One must say, however, that the new version is not any better "[Ich schau dir in die Augen, Kleines" which means "I look into your eyes, baby".
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    Some people still believe thatPaul Mc Cartney died in the 60s and was replaced by a doppelganger. Anything is possible of course, but the same people believe Elvis is still alive.

That's ridiculous - there's no way he survived that explosion in Quantum of Solace.
    octofinger wrote: »

Actually it is Bondian and Roger Moore does say it. ;)

Well played. . .
    I

That's ridiculous - there's no way he survived that explosion in Quantum of Solace.

I always understood Elvis had the resilience of a cartoon character.

On a side note Gerard Depardieu is not dead. Only his career is.
    Some people think Brosnan was a good Bond, and that he starred in some decent to great films. Isn t that just another example of this effect?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I thought it was the other way around that people thought he was a bad Bond when he clearly wasn't. ;)