Sam Mendes - good or bad?

edited February 2012 in Skyfall Posts: 11,425
I liked American Beauty and Away We Go, but didn't see much in those two films that made me think he'd be a good Bond director. The only other one I've seen was Road to Perdition, which I thought fell a bit flat.

Seeing that his films have (I think) done progressively worse at the box office since AB, what can we expect from Skyfall?

I have high hopes, but I sort of feel we're ignoring the elephant in the room, which is that he is not an obvious action/thriller director and that since his first film (more than a decade ago) he has not exactly set cinema screens alight.

Comments

• tqbtqb
    His movies have done worse at the box office because most of his movies are more drama and indie type movies- not the big blockbuster type. nonetheless all his movies are very good.
    Has to be better than Lee Tamahori.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Has to be better than Lee Tamahori.

defo.
  • I haven't seen much else of Mendes work but am aware his respective pictures over time have picked up a clutch of honors and awards under his direction (and involvement)

Only time will tell if Skyfall 2012 will be the success and Main Event picture some are talking it up to be, one has to be quietly confident. We shall see
  • I have seen quite a few of Mendes' previous films, American Beauty, Road to Perdition, Jarhead and Revolutionary Road, and apart from Jarhead, I think the others are all beautifully crafted films in their own right, despite the overlapping themes.

Whilst Mendes doesn't have much box office success, he does have a very good film track record, even his worst (Jarhead) is still a solid 7/10 movie. So I am very excited that he is doing Skyfall, because of him, and because of his colleagues he has bought with him (its unlikely that Deakins and Newman would do bond otherwise) and the quality of cast that have agreed with his vision for the film.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 11,425
    tqb wrote:
    His movies have done worse at the box office because most of his movies are more drama and indie type movies- not the big blockbuster type. nonetheless all his movies are very good.

Yes, but Am Beauty was not typical blockbuster material but it did very well. Since then he has not been so successful critically or commercially.

Seriously I think it's a good thing. I remember really enjoying American Beauty and Road to Perdition. Rev Road wasn't as good but it wasn't bad.

Mendes, unlike Marc Forster, is also apparently a Bond fan so things are looking good.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    This isn't news.
    I am not convinced but hope he does give us cinematic magic.
    Yes, I guess we have to hope for the best.

Hope he stitches his stuff with second unit stuff well.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 4,619
    I believe Mendes is a better director than anyone else who directed a Bond film so far. American Beauty, Road to Perdition and Revolutionary Road are all masterpieces and his other two movies are pretty good as well.

I think Road to Perdition demonstrates pretty well that he's a perfect fit for Bond.
    I believe Mendes is a better director than anyone else who directed a Bond film so far. American Beauty, Road to Perdition and Revolutionary Road are all masterpieces and his other two movies are pretty good as well.

I think Road to Perdition demonstrates pretty well that he's a perfect fit for Bond.

Not sure I buy this thesis. All the best Bond movies were directed by hack directors with little 'critical' credibility.

• Getafix wrote:

Not sure I buy this thesis. All the best Bond movies were directed by hack directors with little 'critical' credibility.

Michael Apted has an average rotten tomatoes score of 71%, so by that logic... TWINE must be a rubbish film.

Hold on, your thesis starts to sound correct. ;)
    I don't see how people can think a skilled director cant make a good movie.

There's no DOUBT Mendes is skilled on some level, giving the acclaim he has. He may not be what was expected for Bond, but if the film is anything like FRWL his background will only add to the film.
    I enjoyed American Beauty and Road to Perdition, looking forward to what Mendes can bring to the series?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited February 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Mendes being a real fan of Bond will only help Skyfall I think. This is more of a 'pet project' for him, than any other film he's done before. The crew he's got on board should only add weight to him being the right man for the job.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Mendes being a real fan of Bond will only help Skyfall I think. This is more of a 'pet project' for him, than any other film he's done before. The crew he's got on board should only add weight to him being the right man for the job.

Agree 100% Everything that i have seen and read so far? Suggests to me that this will be a real treat for us all!
  • I hope for the best but expect the worst.
    craigrules wrote:
    I hope for the best but expect the worst.

You really expect Die Another Day out of this? Okay..
  • either way though you haave to admit getting mendes to direct is very creative and inspired choice. at the very least it shows bb and mgw are interested in story and character first and foremost above action and stunts. yes i know marc forster could be called inspired as well and i think forster wouldhave made a great bond film if he had a script and a second unit director not named dan "bourne" bradley". Still just by credentials mendes is much much more respected and acclaimed than forster. one great testament to this is the talent in both the cast and crew he was able to attract.

all in all at the very least we dont have a director like michael bay or tony scott (who i love but hes more of a B-action movie director) or McG or just your typical decent action movie director.
    craigrules wrote:
    I hope for the best but expect the worst.

Have a little faith in Mendes, Craig, the cast, the production team and the script! I am sure this will be a special movie in the franchise.
  • I like Mendes. I loved his directing in 'Road to Perdition', there were some astonishing scenes. I don't think that he'll do a 'bad job' of a Bond film, I believe he'll get something good out of it.
    jwxbulldog wrote:
    either way though you haave to admit getting mendes to direct is very creative and inspired choice. at the very least it shows bb and mgw are interested in story and character first and foremost above action and stunts.
    Well, action and stunts is what Bond movies are all about. Characterdriven dramas are for the Oscars.
  • Did Skyfall come out already? That's strange, it's not playing over here.

All kidding aside, this is a judgment I'll make only AFTER watching the film. ;)
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 298
    From what I've seen, Mendes does seem like a damn good director. Better than old tamahori and that Marc Forster bloke. Was he even a director? - and not just some nut case pulled from a Britney Spears music video set!?

Mendes will make a good film, I am confident. I think he realises how crap the last film was, but also understands what the fans, and the general public, want in 007 film. And of course with Roger Deakins being the DoP, I can't see any problem whatsoever!
  • Did Skyfall come out already? That's strange, it's not playing over here.

All kidding aside, this is a judgment I'll make only AFTER watching the film. ;)

That was my initial reaction when I first read the opening bit. We can't really judge Mendes on his Bond work when the film hasn't even been pieced together as of yet

When the time comes, and the theaters are full and we sit down to take in the finished product, then will be the time to take issues with respective figureheads of this production but right now, seems a little premature to make judgments on a film that has yet to be seen

Did Skyfall come out already? That's strange, it's not playing over here.

That was my initial reaction when I first read the opening bit. We can't really judge Mendes on his Bond work when the film hasn't even been pieced together as of yet

When the time comes, and the theaters are full and we sit down to take in the finished product, then will be the time to take issues with respective figureheads of this production but right now, seems a little premature to make judgments on a film that has yet to be seen

This goes along with my nominations thread, WE'RE NOT JUDGING THE FILM, just making assumptions/predictions based on the crew involved. Its not complicated.

Plus, the thread is more about the director than the film. If your going to just say 'I don't like this subject' why post at all :P
  • You remember what they said in Under Siege II about assumptions, Mister Westbrook..
    You remember what they said in Under Siege II about assumptions, Mister Westbrook..

Enlighten me.

To the thread topic: Mendes shares a similar background with Forster, which may worry some. Forster didn't appear to be able to handle the action/drama balance, any time the plot would go down hill we'd get another action scene, like he relied on the action to make the movie somewhat watchable.

However, from what we know, it looks like Mendes is focusing more on the characters, as if he's relying on them over the action to make the film. Which is good imo.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    You remember what they said in Under Siege II about assumptions, Mister Westbrook..

Enlighten me.

To the thread topic: Mendes shares a similar background with Forster, which may worry some. Forster didn't appear to be able to handle the action/drama balance, any time the plot would go down hill we'd get another action scene, like he relied on the action to make the movie somewhat watchable.

However, from what we know, it looks like Mendes is focusing more on the characters, as if he's relying on them over the action to make the film. Which is good imo.
    This is what @Baltimore_007 is alluding to:

Back on topic: I think highly of Sam, and I can't wait to see what the product of his direction on Skyfall becomes. He is a fan and understands the character, so I am very optimistic that the film is in very good hands.