The 'How Do I Use This New Site' Thread

edited March 2011 in General Discussion Posts: 92
This is so we don't clog up the Eulogy thread, and the intro thread.

How the hell does this site work? Is there anyway to jump ahead in pages - because currently whenever I go to a thread I have to scroll down to go to the next page - this is rather annoying ... so how do I avoid that annoying process? TELL ME?!?!

Comments

• JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    No, it doesn't help.

No help there - though I appreciate the effort you made there to answer that... you know posting a link ... unlike your lack of not forwarning the death of the old forum as well ....

... sorry that was bitchy, though I'm not actually sorry. So yeah.
    I'm assuming no bold or italic fonts?

How do we post pictures?
    HTML
    Wasn't working for me earlier, seems to be now though. Thanks!
  • MI6MI6 Administrator
    If you have any suggestions about what is missing from our How-To guide, please post in this thread and our team will update the FAQs/How to for the benefit of all.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 886
    How do i start a new thread? put avatar up?
  • MI6MI6 Administrator
    edited March 2011 Posts: 677
    Avatars can be uploaded from your computer to your profile.

Threads can be started via the big green button on the top right.

If there's anything that's not covered by our FAQs, let us know.
  • CISCIS Suspended
    Quoting JamesPage: HTML
    Any way to make bolding, italicizing and other HTML manipulations easier? Like some hyperlinks at the top of the "Post Comment" box? Or is that just not possible?
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 110
    @CIS It's actually faster to type most tags than it is to click the buttons.
    I would disagree.
    Still disagreeing with you, Bartleby.
  • CISCIS Suspended
    edited March 2011 Posts: 52
    @Bartleby I guess we can all deal with it, no biggie. Blue-linking is quite tedious, though.

Is there going to be any way to see the posting history of any one member? When I click on your profile for example, it tells me how many posts you've made but I can't view a list of your posts or on which thread(s) you've made them.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 110
    @CIS I have no way of knowing if that will ever be integrated. For now, you'll have to find more creative ways to stalk me.
    @CIS yes, as you add new Discussions they are added to your Profile page. Try poking around the Profile pages of members who have started new Discussions and you'll see additional tabs next to 'Activity'.
  • CISCIS Suspended
    @JamesPage thanks! So only discussions that they have started show up there, right? So we won't be seeing a list of reply posts that users have made on their profiles?
  • nick_007nick_007 Ville Marie
    Thanks for clearing that up, James. I was trying to figure out why I could do that on some but not on others.
    @CIS Oh God no. I'm just an html enthusiast.
  • MI6MI6 Administrator
    edited March 2011 Posts: 677
    If its an http:// hyperlink you can put it directly into your post - no trouble - the software will highlight and hyperlink it. If you want, click here text then you may need to be more creative (for the moment). There are quite a few HTML for beginners tutorials out there and most image hosting websites, imageshack, flickr, etc give you the embed code when you upload a picture.

Its certainly not out of the question that we implement such things. However... the focus on discussion and less on boldness and pictures might prove a good thing in the long run.
  • nick_007nick_007 Ville Marie
    @CIS see the new users guide on the righthand side for a list of moderators.
  • MI6MI6 Administrator
    Quoting CIS: @JamesPage thanks! So only discussions that they have started show up there, right? So we won't be seeing a list of reply posts that users have made on their profiles?
    The next tab along in the profile is comments...
  • CISCIS Suspended
    Quoting MI6: The next tab along in the profile is comments...
    Ah, I see, but I'm not seeing that tab on all accounts. Not on mine for example. Or @nick_007 's for another example.

Is it only administrator accounts that have all of their comment history viewable?
    No, it's members who have posted Discussions and such, not just replied. It's not updated instantly. Give it time.
    this is so confusing :) we are used to old page.this looks like more modern but former forum was much better
  • MI6MI6 Administrator
    @dragonsky - we're here to help you adjust to the new surroundings. Let our mods know what's stumping you and we will all do our utmost to help!
    @MI6 well i guess it is cause it is still new but after time spend here i will get used to it but the old one was maybe more easier to find the threads by group.gaming,reviews and so.altough this have too.anyway we will get used to this
  • MI6MI6 Administrator
    Unlike on the old boards the search engine is remarkably powerful. We've also tried to simplify and broaden categories until we see what demand is like. Completely understand it can be daunting.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Looks like the post limit size is quite large, something like 10 000 characters. I've seen many complain about it, it's still a considerable size.