Talking about being Politically Correct !

edited May 2022 in General Discussion Posts: 19,339
This is a great place to put your PC stories or comments into,or have a rant or a laugh at PC situations .

For example ,this just in :

Man sent home from work for wearing shorts in 34C heat goes back to office in his mum's dress

Temperatures have soared across the country this week and hit highs of 34C in London.
While the heatwave is lovely if you're out in the park or at the seaside with a drink in your hand, it's not so nice in the office, as 20-year-old Joey Barge from Aylesbury found out.

The call centre worker had enough of wearing suits in his hot workplace, so he opted for a lovely pair of smart shorts instead.

Knowing what office dress codes are like, Joey was even questioning if he would be allowed to wear them before he got to work on Monday.
At 8.47am he shared a picture of his outfit and wrote: "If women can wear skirts/dresses at work can I wear smart shorts like so?"

Less than half an hour later, he had his answer.
Joey said: "The office is so hot and I sweat so much and feel uncomfortable.

"I'm fuming. A quarter of the office are wearing vest tops and skirts/dresses..."

Rather than changing in to a full-on suit which would leave him sweltering in the hot sun, Joey decided to take a rather different approach.

Using the logic that women in the office were allowed to wear dresses, he decided to go for one of those instead - and raided his mum's wardrobe.
Really, the dress flashes the same amount of leg as Joey's smart shorts...

He predicted he would be home again soon, but his tactic appears to have worked - at least partially.

Joey later tweeted a photograph of an email he had received, which read: "Due to the extremely warm temperatures currently, it has been agreed that... gentlemen in the office are permitted to wear 3/4 length shorts."
The e-mail also stated they could be black, navy or beige only.

Well played, Joey. Well played

Comments

• JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Great story here about boys at a school in Exeter, attending in skirts in the hot weather as shorts weren't allowed. Good effort.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-40364632
    You have to admire these men and boys taking the initiative in this situation.
    It really was bloody hot,and without air conditioning you cant expect a man to sit wearing a shirt,tie and long trousers.

Kudos to them all for having the balls to take on the system and win !
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Agreed Barry, but I suspect the company will get their own back on Joey one way or the other ;)

Promotion opportunities thin on the ground....:)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited June 2017 Posts: 17,727
    Funnily enough I was thinking of start a thread the other day called 'Political Correctness Gone Mad'. Here is an interesting (and, to me, hilarious) video on the very subject at hand:

Some recent footage of @Thunderfinger. ;)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    On men and boys not being allowed to wear shorts. It shows up the complete
    Lack of common sense, some officials have.
    NicNac wrote: »
    Agreed Barry, but I suspect the company will get their own back on Joey one way or the other ;)

Promotion opportunities thin on the ground....:)

I did wonder that,but at least he got one over on them and his 15 mins of fame !

He should get a promotion, shows his ability to solve problems and lateral thinking !
    Indeed....finds solutions to difficult problems,and is prepared to run with it.
    He should get a promotion, shows his ability to solve problems and lateral thinking !

Indeed. Edward de Bono would be proud of him!
    Nice legs too !
    Nice legs too !

Hmmm...I wonder did he shave them?
    Ask him on Twitter,Draggers,he is on there he he ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I imagine the nice breeze you get while wearing a dress would be far superior to shorts. Not speaking from personal experience or anything here...
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Ask him on Twitter,Draggers,he is on there he he ;)

Not brave enough or I would!
    I imagine the nice breeze you get while wearing a dress would be far superior to shorts. Not speaking from personal experience or anything here...

Kinky....Brady you dark horse you ....
  • RC7RC7
    edited June 2017 Posts: 10,512
    I'm not sure this exactly qualifies as political correctness, gents, just typical bureaucracy. Were they not allowed to wear shorts for fear of offending a minority then we're talking.
    I bet many making these clothing regulations are sitting in comfortable
    Air Conditioned offices.
    I bet many making these clothing regulations are sitting in comfortable
    Air Conditioned offices.

Indeed, that's always the way.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    RC7 wrote: »
    I'm not sure this exactly qualifies as political correctness, gents, just typical bureaucracy. Were they not allowed to wear shorts for fear of offending a minority then we're talking.

indeed - don't see much 'politically correct' about this story. Silly bureaucracy or overly officious Health and safety is not politically correct. It's been around forever - the same kind of thing Douglas Adams was satirising in the 70s with parts of Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 12,837

Yeah, double standards maybe but don't get how this relates to being PC?

Anyway I'm pretty torn on the subject to be honest. I don't like how we as a society seem much less able to take a joke nowadays (well normal people do, it's just online and in the media where you see all the fuss) and there are a lot of bullshit stories where people make controversy out of nothing. But equally I can't help but cringe when people do the whole "PC gone mad! Bloody SJWs" thing because for me it just has connotations of idiots using that as an excuse of thinly veiled sexism, racism, etc. I'm reminded of the Stewart Lee bit on it. "You can't even write racial abuse in excrement on someone's car without the PC brigade jumping down your throat".

And even if that isn't the case and you have a genuine grieveance over somebody kicking off over nothing and seeing discrimination when there isn't any, these issues are still issues and I think there's a danger of downplaying them by bitching about "PC culture". Because political correctness is by definition a good thing and it's actually great how much more progressive society's gotten over the last few decades.

Yeah, double standards maybe but don't get how this relates to being PC?

Anyway I'm pretty torn on the subject to be honest. I don't like how we as a society seem much less able to take a joke nowadays (well normal people do, it's just online and in the media where you see all the fuss) and there are a lot of bullshit stories where people make controversy out of nothing. But equally I can't help but cringe when people do the whole "PC gone mad! Bloody SJWs" thing because for me it just has connotations of idiots using that as an excuse of thinly veiled sexism, racism, etc. I'm reminded of the Stewart Lee bit on it. "You can't even write racial abuse in excrement on someone's car without the PC brigade jumping down your throat".

And even if that isn't the case and you have a genuine grieveance over somebody kicking off over nothing and seeing discrimination when there isn't any, these issues are still issues and I think there's a danger of downplaying them by bitching about "PC culture". Because political correctness is by definition a good thing and it's actually great how much more progressive society's gotten over the last few decades.

Well said. Ultimately no one is perfect so people will be overly sensitive or not sensitive enough. Communication is key and what it boils down to is empathy. Understanding someone's point of view and actively listening to it. That's not the same as agreeing with it or even accepting it. It just means recognising it and not dismissing it. As a white, middle-class, straight, able-bodied male it costs me nothing to recognise other groups who have felt oppressed or persecuted in the past as they voice their grievances. There are systemic and learned behaviours that are so insidious we may not even realise the bias and myth confirmation that it encourages. I for one will try to listen to people - whether I agree with them or not. Because I think people just want to be understood. Whether as a person or their point of view or even why a certain Bond film is their favourite.
    Happened in France too :

cnewsmatin.fr/france/2017-06-21/canicule-ils-viennent-au-travail-en-jupe-et-obtiennent-le-droit-de-mettre-un-short

jupe.jpg?itok=LYAtjwoN

But after all, they're following the best model there is :

798d5f47c709e9cb7dfabe0867655f5c?width=650

289affe3b018cbc3e4154894d753c282.jpg
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    They kilt it.
    Licence to kilt.
    A view to a kilt
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    I've no problem with a kilt,
    I wear mine to weddings on some of the hottest days of the summer.
    A Wonderful Thing is a gentle breeze.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    With all this talk of shorts not being allowed in certain places, it might be time to bring this back in style. ;)
    2216d47886ec13830b28872e522d4afa.jpg
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Nice to see a bunch of men who don't skirt the PC issue.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Such issues are a short order for real men.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Such issues are a short order for real men.

Yes, you don't need to address it when you've got a dress.