'Oh My Good Gawd' : 'Minder' TV show Appreciation & Discussion.

edited June 2017 in General Movies & TV Posts: 19,339
I've been recording these on ITV4 lately and they are still as funny as ever.

The way Terry (Dennis Waterman) and Arthur (George Cole) bounce off eachother is such good casting.

You can only sit back and admire all the architecture,and a general London 'feel-good' factor that comes across over the screen,something that is very scarce now.

Add in Chisolm and the Met Police trying to catch them out,and the scrapes they get themselves into,and you can see why this TV series became so big.

I'm having a real blast watching it !!!

Any comment's about Tel' or Arfur,or Dave and the Winchester Club out there ?

Comments

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Only that I've never heard of it.
  • A classic. It's easy to forget just what a huge show Minder was. Not quite the same once Dennis Waterman left, perhaps. Ray didn't quite have the same chemistry, but George Cole as Arthur is always worth watching. He was such a clever actor.

"The world is your lobster, my son!"
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Love Minder. Still watch it from time to time. Great banter and Waterman and Cole just the greatest double act. I love seeing a young Ray Winstone crop up in it every now and then.

And nice seeing London when it wasn't the 'multicultural' nightmare it is now.
  • Ray Winstone had to be in Minder. Such a perfect fit.

Let us resolve never to mention the Shane Ritchie version.... *shudders*
    Shane Ritchie was a disaster when it was on C5....you could never re-create a classic like that.
    Even the TV film 'Minder on the Orient Express' shown on Xmas Day got over 25m I think,it was massive.
    Loved Minder. My brother has the box set. Havent watched it in years. Though i prefered the early series. It became more comedic later on and Arfur took more centre stage . Even Waterman claimed he prefered the early ones where Terry got into a scrap at the close of most episodes!
    That's a good point,it was more about Terry.
    I remember the 1st series,and Arthur was almost a serious character in it.but I do like how it all turned out.
    My favourite episode was called 'In'. Brian Cox was in it and Russell Hunter (from Callan). Arthur was banged up in jail and Terry had to prove his innocence. It ended with a brutal fight on a double decker bus! Classic.
    I don't remember that one !

What series was that episode in,do you know ?
    Think it was the second series. Will contact my brother. He will know! I presume ITV4 are not showing it uncut?
    There are the usual adverts but tbh I haven't seen a lot missing ..it's 1hr 9 mins average every episode.

There was a great episode too with Anthony Valentine playing a gambler who Terry was minding.Think his character appeared a few times!
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Aaaah he did as well...a right chancer,even might have been gay in the series IIRC or just dandy..he appeared in about 5 I think.

Ive got one recorded about a dead rock star and Arthur gets a hand on his demo tape that was never used,i'm watching in about an hour.

Never one to turn down some readies ,is our Arfur !!
    Only that I've never heard of it.

Watch it on You Tube..you will see 80's London and learn some of the cockney slang..any questions ask away once you watched one ;)
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Chisholm the policeman played by Patrick Malahide who went on to give us Lachaise the banker in TWINE, was always good for a laugh.
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    Chisholm the policeman played by Patrick Malahide who went on to give us Lachaise the banker in TWINE, was always good for a laugh.

Along with Taffy,his sidekick haha...
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited June 2017 Posts: 9,117
    Absolutely top notch telly which along with Only Fools taught us all how to speak Cockney back in the day. I remember my parents letting me stay up to watch it and at the time I just liked that it always ended with a bit of a rumble. It was only later that appreciated the comedy and the superb chemistry of Dennis and the fabulous George Cole.

As others have already noted it was packed with cracking characters - Chisholm, Dave, Taffy (would you get away with that these days? Bit racist) - and the list of actors is jam packed with household names: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Minder_cast_members

Even our own Honor Blackman popped up in that Orient Express Xmas special (I still remember the cover of the TV Times with Arthur and Tel driving Santas sleigh). Those were the days. Star Wars toys from Santa, Christmas dinner, the Queen's speech, then Rog in MR and topped off with Minder on the Orient Express. The 80's rocked!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    I presume ITV4 are not showing it uncut?

I cant imagine ITV are showing it uncut as there was the odd bit of tit from time to time and I'm sure there's plenty of language that wouldn't get past today's PC Gestapo so I really should invest in the box set too to see it properly.

PS - Ray was shit though.
    I couldn't be bothered watching it when Waterman left. Always wondered why Cole signed on without him. Either he was contracted, or it was just "a nice little earner!"
    Absolutely top notch telly which along with Only Fools taught us all how to speak Cockney back in the day. I remember my parents letting me stay up to watch it and at the time I just liked that it always ended with a bit of a rumble. It was only later that appreciated the comedy and the superb chemistry of Dennis and the fabulous George Cole.

As others have already noted it was packed with cracking characters - Chisholm, Dave, Taffy (would you get away with that these days? Bit racist) - and the list of actors is jam packed with household names: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Minder_cast_members

Even our own Honor Blackman popped up in that Orient Express Xmas special (I still remember the cover of the TV Times with Arthur and Tel driving Santas sleigh). Those were the days. Star Wars toys from Santa, Christmas dinner, the Queen's speech, then Rog in MR and topped off with Minder on the Orient Express. The 80's rocked!
    I presume ITV4 are not showing it uncut?

I cant imagine ITV are showing it uncut as there was the odd bit of tit from time to time and I'm sure there's plenty of language that wouldn't get past today's PC Gestapo so I really should invest in the box set too to see it properly.

PS - Ray was shit though.

This surprised me Wiz.i watched one tonight ,about Terry guarding a hotel,and a bit of boob was shown on a black 'riske' model who was being expoited,so I think ITV4 (who are brilliant) are showing the whole thing with its running time.

And I remember the Xmas you are referring to for sure...wow those days have gone.
    I couldn't be bothered watching it when Waterman left. Always wondered why Cole signed on without him. Either he was contracted, or it was just "a nice little earner!"

TBF it held on for quite a while, as he was Terry's recommended nephew,and Cole was as brilliant as ever.
    And,unlike shows today,it knew when to stop and end it.
    But if C5 offers loads of money for the show then why not sell it to them,the memories are still only they're on ITV4 now.

As Arthur would say : nice little bonus,ITV .
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Couldn't resist and just went and watched an episode.

Pretty standard stuff - Terry takes home a bird (played by Suzi Quatro for some reason that I couldnt really fathom - cue shoehorned in segment of her singing in the Winchester) to find Arthur has stashed a dead body in a coffin inside his flat on behalf of some shady characters. Cracking.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    I used to watch it when it was first broadcast (recording some episodes on the top loading betamax when I was at work). As with everything else it was hit and miss. I thought it ran out of steam towards the end of Terry's tenure. As for the Nephew episodes, I thought they were tripe and only watched a few.

As with The Sweeney and The Professionals, I do like looking at all the backgrounds. I'm not from London but all the 'old' cars (and even beer pumps!) bring back many sudden memories.
    Yep,Minder,The Sweeney and the Professionals show me many things in the background that bring back memories of my childhood.
    Even a small advertising sticker on the door of a newsagent showing a food or drink I used to enjoy.

Happy days for me,the 70's & '80's.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    I guess all the derelict places (which The Professionals excelled in using) are long since built upon?

Yes the signage brings back many memories. Happy days indeed. With very few exceptions I can name all the types of cars used or parked along the roads. At the time I would have scored 100% in that particular challenge, but time means I have slipped somewhat. Indeed I annoy 'er indoors by blurting out - Tourettes fashion - the different cars. A lot of them (Simca, Talbot etc) don't exist anymore. I still see examples of my first car on these programmes, a Vauxhall Victor 1.8. You'll also notice the proliferation of vinyl roofs!
    stag wrote: »
    I guess all the derelict places (which The Professionals excelled in using) are long since built upon?

Yes the signage brings back many memories. Happy days indeed. With very few exceptions I can name all the types of cars used or parked along the roads. At the time I would have scored 100% in that particular challenge, but time means I have slipped somewhat. Indeed I annoy 'er indoors by blurting out - Tourettes fashion - the different cars. A lot of them (Simca, Talbot etc) don't exist anymore. I still see examples of my first car on these programmes, a Vauxhall Victor 1.8. You'll also notice the proliferation of vinyl roofs!

Hahaha brilliant !,that made me laugh.

But ,yes,alas I would say about at 75% of the shops,buildings,yards,pubs,have all gone ..which makes these shows priceless.

(Just like the old Las Vegas in DAF).
    Any idea how much Arthur's slate is these days?
    Well considering he never paid it and sent Dave to an Early grave I would have to say pretty high !!! hahaha
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Heard of it but never watched any of it or really know what it's all about.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Heard of it but never watched any of it or really know what it's all about.

Worth a look...personally I would start with season 2 where they are up to all sorts of scrapes and already know eachother rather the more serious series 1,and then go back to series 1.

Every episode is stand alone so its easy to do..hit the you tube my old mate !!

Basically Arthur is a shady businessman who is always being chased by the police and both sides are useless as each other, and Arthur usually runs away from trouble,so he hires Terry,an ex-boxer just out of jail to be his minder/bodyguard.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    VAT on the slate please Dave Play the White Man !.