Well here comes the UK General Election!

Comments

18 months ago, quote from Corbyn on police cuts:

"By pressing ahead with these cuts the Government is failing in its most basic duty – to protect our citizens. The planned cuts pose a direct threat to the security of our own people.

They must be halted. That means no reduction in numbers, essential ­equipment or helicopter support."
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    So that makes May equally a terrorist appeaser as you say Corbyn is, so why vote for her if you refuse to vote for him for this very reason? If May the Home Secretary said 'leaving the EU would make the UK less safe against terrorist attack', and now May the Prime Minister is precisely leading the UK out of the EU, in what way is she better than Corbyn?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Is there a Magic Money Tree in his garden then?
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 4,599
    Re: May and her record in power, oportunism is a key factor. If she had any principles, she would have resigned from governement and campained for staying in Europe or become a Lib Dem. To simply "follow the power" and ignore what you actually think is the right thing to do is pretty disgusting.

Corbyn seems to be a man of principle and it is this that has got him into hot water many times- by saying what he thinks is right rather than towing the party line.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 12,837
    Corbyn's the one vowing to put more police on our streets. That's something? What's Cruella and her gang pledging?

Nah @MayDay, forget that, the best way to keep our streets safe and well policed is surely to vote for the woman working to reduce public sector spending. But what she can do? "There's no magic money tree". Unless of course the MPs need a pay rise. What a joke.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Jeremy Corbyn is a terrorist appeasing, nuclear abolitionist buffoon.

Lets start with the IRA issue

"No, I think what you have to say is all bombing has to be condemned and you have to bring about a peace process. Listen, in the 1980s Britain was looking for a military solution, it clearly was never going to work. Ask anyone in the British army at the time … I condemn all the bombing by the loyalists and the IRA.”

Sounds fair enough to me. After all peace in that area was eventually achieved through negotiation in the 90s. And he still makes it clear that he wasn't condoning what they did.

As for the nuclear issue, I don't know how the man can make it any more clear. Labour don't have any plans to get rid of trident. He isn't going to scrap it, but would rather focus on the here and now and work towards global disarmment, than entertain about hypothetical scenarios where he might have to use it. Yes he's completely against the very concept of nuclear weapons but who in their right mind wouldn't be?
    Yes, but it took him a long time to come out and say that about the IRA. Why was he so bird-mouthed about it? Why not just come out and say it straight away when asked to condemn it?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited June 2017 Posts: 9,117
    Cant believe what I'm reading on here.

This from bloke everyone on this thread is so desperate to defend all of a sudden:

http://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/jeremy-corbyn-the-artful-dodger-a-transcript-of-his-nolan-interview-31430884.html

Journalist asks the question 'Do you condemn what the IRA did?' and the guy just wriggles (although can't wait to slate British troops) before just ending the interview when he's got nowhere to run.

Teresa May be a lot of things - clueless, unprincipled, two faced, double dealing, liar, out of her depth - but she's a politician. That's pretty much the job description.

But standing for minutes silences at memorials for terrorists (although could barely muster the same respect for our war dead) and refusing to condemn them is not acceptable for an aspiring Prime Minister.

To parahrase Colombo 'Prime Minster? I would laugh if my heart was not so heavy about my poor country.'

Both candidates are fatally floored IMHO in different ways, neither will make decent PMs
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    But making the UK more unsafe and terror attacks more likely by being in charge of UK's exit of the EU is acceptable for a Prime minister?
    But making the UK more unsafe and terror attacks more likely by being in charge of UK's exit of the EU is acceptable for a Prime minister?

Even if your specious assertion was true (because after all the EU is immune to terrorist attacks isn't it?) no Prime Minister will saythey are going to overturn Brexit as parliament can't be seen to be going back on the 'will of the people'.

Everyone knows May is against it but she's just playing the hand she was dealt by f**knut Cameron.

I'm not saying that assertion is true, I'm only pointing out May herself said a year ago that the UK is more safe from terrorism by staying in the EU. If we believe what she was saying as Home Secretary, she is basically committing treason by allowing terrorism to be more likely on UK soil. How is that being anything less than 'terrorist apologist' like Corbyn?
    I'm not saying that assertion is true, I'm only pointing out May herself said a year ago that the UK is more safe from terrorism by staying in the EU. If we believe what she was saying as Home Secretary, she is basically committing treason by allowing terrorism to be more likely on UK soil. How is that being anything less than 'terrorist apologist' like Corbyn?

It's called politics.

She supported staying in the EU but the public have said that's not what they want so she's managing the situation. I think 99% of the ideas that come down from my senior managers are utter bullshit but I have to get my staff to implement them and back them or get another job. It's disgusting and soul destroying but welcome to real life not Jezza's 6th form common room politics.

And by your logic so if she's guilty of treason then so are the 52% who heard her comments about being safer in the EU and still voted leave.

edited June 2017 Posts: 15,686
    And by your logic so if she's guilty of treason then so are the 52% who heard her comments about being safer in the EU and still voted leave.

By that logic nobody voted leave, since they are now voting for PM someone who campaigned for remain.

And by the by, the French voted against the EU constitution in 2005, only to elect as President someone who went on to ignore the population's vote and signed the european constitution anyway. So if May 'changed' position for aspiration for power, what makes you so sure she won't change opinion again?
    Mrs May would have egg on her face if she changed her opinion now.
    France voted against the EU with a bigger margin than the UK, and no eggs were thrown at Mr Sarkozy when he ignored the vote of his own population. And France went on to elect 2 new Presidents since then who were from the side that lost that very referendum of 2005. And we are known for making a sh*tload of strikes on a yearly basis.
    Reneging on Brexit would be one U-turn too many for Mrs May. Corbyn wouldn't do it either.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    #HungParliament
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 11,119
    NSGWA3c.png

Wow. Surprising Exit Poll. Let's be cautious here. But so far it seems May's risky gamble didn't pay off. A hung parliament. It puts the UK in a precarious and uncertain seat at the Brexit negotiating table, and it means that the EU and Brussels are wringing their hands. And so am I. Make no mistake, Brexit divides, and will continue dividing the UK for years to come.....and it could make the new EU without the UK a bit stronger.
    No, it just means there will be another general election. No confidence.
    No, it just means there will be another general election. No confidence.

It also means that the Brexit negotiation table, led by EU-negotiator Michel Barnier, will not wait for such elections :-). It means a better driver's seat for the EU to start with.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Last time they said 316 and in the end it was 330.

So let's wait before the EU Autocrats are wringing their hands.

Brexit will happen if they like it or not. Brussels behaves like a little child that has been taken away its favourite toy.
    May will resign in the morning, I'm guessing.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    So May will barely last until June ?
    There will be another election, I think. It's quite likely. It can happen in as little as 8 days, and the conservatives could get rid of May and run with someone else. That's just one possibility.
    Last time they said 316 and in the end it was 330.

So let's wait before the EU Autocrats are wringing their hands.

Brexit will happen if they like it or not. Brussels behaves like a little child that has been taken away its favourite toy.

May failed miserably in her goal to at least gain 30 seats and to get a much bigger majority, thus having a better negotiation position for a hard Brexit. We can wait a long night, and maybe May will get a few more seats yes, but not her desired 350+ seats. So you can twist the story here. But this is how democracy works as well sometimes.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Yes in a democratic vote May has just won the election @Gustav_Graves
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    The attacks probably had a negative effect. That and her feckless campaign. She was obviously taken off guard by events. Strength of character is important in these moments, and she was lacking. As I said, a bit of a Hillary type.
    Exit polls suggest yet another hung parliament. Not good news for the UK in my book. Not surprising given May's poor handling of things.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Exit polls suggest yet another hung parliament. Not good news for the UK in my book. Not surprising given May's poor handling of things.

It's terrible. There is still a chance of a second election if a government cannot be formed.