ALIEN Franchise

Comments

ColonelSun wrote: »
    I haven't seen 2001. It's definitely on my list of stuff to watch but from the space movies that I've seen. Interstellar is by far the best. I love the high concepts, story, acting, and obviously the visuals

2001 is an extraordinary film. In my top 3 of all time. I've seen it several times on the big screen including Kubrick's approved remastered print at the National Film Theatre, London in 2001 - and introduced by Arthur C. Clarke himself, then wheelchair bound but in great humour - he even did an impression of Dr. Strangelove's uncontrollable Nazi salute. Anyway, see 2001 on the biggest screen you can - and don't expect a traditional narrative structure, character arcs, or answers - just experience mans journey from apeman to modern man and to the stars and far beyond.

Oh, and re; Alien Covenant - it makes the mistake - which 2001 does not - of answering too many questions - forgetting that the answers are frequently far less interesting than the questions. What made the original Alien so good was, like 2001, it left things open - Who was the space jokey? Where did the aliens come from? I think they are making a mistake by answering those questions, especially because the answers so far are so unoriginal and obvious.

Exactly right.

I don't care where the Space Jockey came from. I don't care who put the Alien eggs there. That's what makes Alien such a cool film. It's full of mystery and we as an audience are as much in the dark as the characters.

I have no interest in Alien Covenant and wish I could erase Prometheus from my memory. These films just cheapen the original masterpiece by taking all the mystery out of it.

Sometimes I wonder if Scott even understands his own films
    I´m afraid he does understand that they contain elements that sell well. He´s in plans to make a sci-fi tv series, and I wouldn´t be surprised at all if it turns out to be about xenomorphs and ultra-cheap characters.

Alien
    Prometheus
    Aliens
    Alien Resurrection
    Alien³

Still can't decide where in Covenant falls to.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    SharkBait wrote: »
    Alien
    Prometheus
    Aliens
    Alien Resurrection
    Alien³

Still can't decide where in Covenant falls to.
    I quite like that list. Sort of mirrors my own feelings, although I'd put Aliens above Prometheus. I would put Covenant below Resurrection personally.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Alien / Aliens
    Covenant
    Alien 3
    Prometheus
    Resurrection

Still very hard to decide between the first two. Depends on the day of the week.
    Alien / Aliens
    Covenant
    Alien 3
    Prometheus
    Resurrection

Still very hard to decide between the first two. Depends on the day of the week.

Alien
    Aliens
    Alien 3

Prefer Alien 3 to Covenant - at least number 3 strived for something different, I feel Covenant lacks imagination and, crucially, it's not scary at all!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    The first two are very different films; both excel at what they are.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    Alien / Aliens
    Covenant
    Alien 3
    Prometheus
    Resurrection

Alien
    Aliens
    Alien 3

Prefer Alien 3 to Covenant - at least number 3 strived for something different, I feel Covenant lacks imagination and, crucially, it's not scary at all!

I would disagree there. If there's one thing both Prometheus and Covenant had, it was imagination. Not always in the good way, mind you. But that's a matter of perspective.

Alien3 could have been fantastic but it was butchered and as a result is a film with some fantastic elements (score, set design etc) but is just decent overall. There is some good gore but there are some shoddy effects and editing choices in there too.

Covenant, to me, was better made and while not scary in the general sense, definitely had moments of good tension and it made me very unsettled at points.

Neither 3 or Covenant are a patch on the original two but they're decent. I would find myself leaning towards Covenant out of the two, even with its faults, just for how visually stunning parts of it were.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Blomkamp closes the book for good on 'Alien 5,' 100% confirms that it's not happening, but that he may do a 'District 9' spin-off:

http://www.slashfilm.com/neill-blomkamp-kills-finally-alien-5-revives-district-9-spin-off-idea/
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Blomkamp closes the book for good on 'Alien 5,' 100% confirms that it's not happening, but that he may do a 'District 9' spin-off:

http://www.slashfilm.com/neill-blomkamp-kills-finally-alien-5-revives-district-9-spin-off-idea/

What a shame. I'm more than a little skeptical of Blomkamp as a director and often think his true calling is that of production designer or effects coordinator, but I really loved the concept of an alternate timeline sequel to Aliens.
    talos7 wrote: »

What a shame. I'm more than a little skeptical of Blomkamp as a director and often think his true calling is that of production designer or effects coordinator, but I really loved the concept of an alternate timeline sequel to Aliens.

I'm in the same boat: he hasn't blown me away with his directing yet, but the ideas he had for 'Alien 5' were so intriguing, I would've easily lined up for that if he directed it. Shame it won't see the light of day, and instead, we're stuck with this convoluted series of prequels that Scott is undertaking.
    You can believe Scott shut it down.

Definitely. Anything else I've read that says otherwise, I don't buy it, particularly the initial explanation of "how confusing having two separate 'Alien' films would be," and yet 'Covenant' wasn't as successful as it probably could've been because the general moviegoing audience has NO clue what the movie is supposed to be.
    Blomkamp has a habit of repeating himself, Elysium which I bought on BD was just OK. I have the Steelbook of District 9 great film though not one I can watch regularly. Chappie I gave up on Midway through all too familiar themes in that film.
    I saw 'Elysium' in theaters and was floored by how bad it was, particularly the editing. Haven't seen 'Chappie' yet, doubt I do.
    Alien
    Aliens
    Alien Isolation (a video game but so good in its own right)

Prometheus (although Covenant has sort of tainted it now)

That's it for me. Don't have any interest in watching any of the others ever again, they all disappointed or annoyed me in one way or another.

Definitely. Anything else I've read that says otherwise, I don't buy it, particularly the initial explanation of "how confusing having two separate 'Alien' films would be," and yet 'Covenant' wasn't as successful as it probably could've been because the general moviegoing audience has NO clue what the movie is supposed to be.

I read a rumour recently that Blompkamp's film wasn't ever going to happen, the studio just teased him with the possibility because they knew Scott wouldn't be happy and would then get things moving on Covenant.

I think Scott probably always regretted leaving and letting Cameron get involved (because so many think Aliens is even better than the original) and now he's back in the drivers seat isn't keen on letting anyone else have a go. But at the same time he seems desperate to get that love from fans himself and isn't above sacrificing his own vision in the process. If the route they go down is more Scott directed prequels I think I'm done with the Alien films.
    @thelivingroyale, that's possible. I can't recall when the first announcement of 'Alien 5' was, or how far along 'Covenant' may have been (in terms of pre-production), but if that is the case, it definitely worked. Hopefully there's some more retooling of what the fans want before the next one comes. I won't be seeing 'Covenant' until it has a digital release, and even then I'm expecting a disappointing turnout.
    @thelivingroyale, that's possible. I can't recall when the first announcement of 'Alien 5' was, or how far along 'Covenant' may have been (in terms of pre-production), but if that is the case, it definitely worked. Hopefully there's some more retooling of what the fans want before the next one comes. I won't be seeing 'Covenant' until it has a digital release, and even then I'm expecting a disappointing turnout.

Yeah I'd go in with low expectations. It isn't a bad film, it's well made and everything, it just fell completely flat for me. Wasn't Alien 5, wasn't a Prometheus sequel, it just seemed like a bland, unoriginal attempt at pleasing both camps because Scott didn't want Blompkamp or anyone else having all the glory.

Yeah I'd go in with low expectations. It isn't a bad film, it's well made and everything, it just fell completely flat for me. Wasn't Alien 5, wasn't a Prometheus sequel, it just seemed like a bland, unoriginal attempt at pleasing both camps because Scott didn't want Blompkamp or anyone else having all the glory.

I typically don't base my interest in a film off of critic/fan reviews, but consistently hearing that the characters are just as idiotic as they are in 'Prometheus,' combined with a majority of the Xenomorphs being CGI, and I can't think of what else is left for me to enjoy. Those are two major offenders for me when it comes to horror films.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 5,767

I typically don't base my interest in a film off of critic/fan reviews, but consistently hearing that the characters are just as idiotic as they are in 'Prometheus,' combined with a majority of the Xenomorphs being CGI, and I can't think of what else is left for me to enjoy. Those are two major offenders for me when it comes to horror films.
    I wouldn´t define Covenant as horror, and I would say the CGI creatures were the least problem. Although you´re probably right, two years from now the film probably looks ridiculous.

"he [Blomkamp] wanted to be “respectful and not go stamping around in this world that he [Scott] created" What a sour joke, considering how Scott himself stomps around in that world.
    I

That's a bummer. I know he and Sigorney really wanted to do it.

FU Scott and Fox
    Maybe Scott himself will make his own sequel to Aliens??
    fjdinardo wrote: »

I have tremendous respect for so much of what Scott has done but....Please NO!
  • fjdinardo wrote: »

Sincerely doubtful. I think Scott secretly resents Aliens for becoming so massively popular.
    Blomkamp is involved in an interesting project featuring short films.

http://film-book.com/volume-1-2017-short-films-trailer-2-neill-blomkamps-three-short-films-oats-studios/

I highly doubt it, considering his sole focus for the last few years (regarding the franchise) was to bridge a prequel series between 'Prometheus' and 'Alien.' Or, that's what it started out as, anyway. From what I've gathered in recent reviews, it's definitely not the same route they're taking now, so who knows what we'll end up with for the next couple of movies.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I am very happy Scott is in control now.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I am very happy Scott is in control now.

Yes I quite enjoyed Prometheus and covenant
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 12,837
    Scott did a fantastic job on the first film but I don't get why he feels such ownership over the series. As far as I'm aware, he was only hired to direct the first one after it'd already been written and sold. I'm sure he was fairly instrumental in how the film turned out but I don't understand why he's become the authority on the series. He didn't create it and Cameron arguably contributed just as much.

Sincerely doubtful. I think Scott secretly resents Aliens for becoming so massively popular.

I think so to (which would explain why he decided to go with Prometheus instead of his original idea, which iirc was a sequel that'd shed more light on the origins). Apparently he wasn't asked back to do the sequel and was fairly hurt, so I'd imagine Aliens doing so well being regarded as pretty much one of the only sequels that's on par/better than the original probably rubbed him the wrong way. I don't think we'll ever get an Alien 5 as long as Scott has his way.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Italian movie
    Wow, cool music!