The Amazing Spider-Man (2012 - 2014)

QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
edited February 2015 in General Movies & TV Posts: 1,812
Couldn't find a thread for this.

I figured this should be made because there was alot of talk of this movie in the "Bourne Legacy" thread; now it has it's own.

What do you think of this remake?

Comments

Although it looks promising, i don't know why the reboot? There are quite a few Spiderman villains to play with and i am pleased they have gone for one that we have not seen on the big screen before. Just assumed that they would have carried on from the Raimi movies. One thing i would say is that it does feel a little darker? Which is a good thing i reckon?
    Eh...not thrilled about the whole re-boot thing. I thought Toby McGuire was a great Spider-Man, and this new guy doesn't look at all like Spider-Man. Also, what's with the web cartridges instead of the Spider powers? That's a real disappointment.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    IMO, Toby McGuire was a horrible Spidey; he can't really act and spidey, in his movies, just didn't feel like the Spidey from the comics. They didn't portray him as a smart, wise cracking superhero.
    When I heard that they were remaking it I was jumping for joy. Then I saw the trailer and was happy, yet taken aback. I was surprised at the dark tone of it and how Peter is portrayed more as an outcast than a nerd. At first I wasn't sure about these changes but after seeing the second trailer I'm really happy with it, it makes it feel more real and modern, IMO.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    IMO, Toby McGuire was a horrible Spidey; he can't really act and spidey, in his movies, just didn't feel like the Spidey from the comics. They didn't portray him as a smart, wise cracking superhero.
    When I heard that they were remaking it I was jumping for joy. Then I saw the trailer and was happy, yet taken aback. I was surprised at the dark tone of it and how Peter is portrayed more as an outcast than a nerd. At first I wasn't sure about these changes but after seeing the second trailer I'm really happy with it, it makes it feel more real and modern, IMO.

Have you seen Toby's other films? He is spectacular. I thought he played the role exceptionally, and the witticisms were controlled and never in copious amounts like some of the comics and interpretations. The outcast role was bloody fantastic! How much more of an outcast are you when you only have one friend, you have the hots for a girl that doesn't recognize your existence, and your intelligence makes you an open target for bullies. One of the biggest outcast moments is when his talk with Mary Jane is interrupted by the arrival of her a-hole boyfriend in a nice car. This scene to the fight by the lockers highlight how well his outcast persona was portrayed in Spiderman 1 and 2. Even in Spiderman 2 he is full of faults. He can't commit to being there for Mary Jane, he's always late, and he realizes that his powers won't always be able to save everyone. And at least Toby's Spidey knew how to dress. The new suit for The Amazing Spiderman looks like utter trash. Yuck! :-&
    To be honest, I like the new suit except the waist part. The red part needs to go all the way around and not half way, then down the leg.
    I'm sorry but I just don't think Tobey, Raimi, and Dunst should never go near another Spidey movie again.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Although it looks promising, i don't know why the reboot? There are quite a few Spiderman villains to play with and i am pleased they have gone for one that we have not seen on the big screen before. Just assumed that they would have carried on from the Raimi movies. One thing i would say is that it does feel a little darker? Which is a good thing i reckon?

Spoken like someone who knows nothing about spider-man at all.

I agree with you on everything apart from Maguire's acting. Maguire's a good actor but he lacks range and was completely miscast as spider-man. Spider-man is a charismatic character and it's a shame so many people have been brainwashed into thinking Raimi's poor take on the character is definitive.
  • I;ve never seen any of the recent (sm) movies with Maguire so can't really comment on just how good or bad the man is, I couldn't even tell you how many have been made in the last ten years. I've never been much of a fan of Spiderman but as a kid did get the Marvel comics of which he was a part of it. We were introduced to Spiderman the same year the first Bond movie Doctor No was released in 1962 for what's it worth
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Although it looks promising, i don't know why the reboot?

Ever Heard Of SM3?
    doubleoego wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

Spoken like someone who knows nothing about spider-man at all.

Sorry oh wise one! Its not exactly life and death! Just my personal first reaction. Perhaps i will mail you first in future to proof read my future posts? But then again? Who cares? Not me!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited February 2012 Posts: 23,447
    @RogueAgent and @doubleoego

Please let's try and be a little polite to each other, gentlemen.
    There's no need, doubleoego, to immediately attack a fellow member on his thoughts. By the same token, RogueAgent, no need to waste a post on sarcasm.

Thank you for considering this, folks.
  • Never a character i could relate too, rami's films were not great though box office gold, though every marvel movie now is set in the same cinematic universe, they will make it to run side by side with thor, iron man and the avengers etc. read the web slinger has a cameo in the latter movie.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    @RogueAgent and @doubleoego

Please let's try and be a little polite to each other, gentlemen.
    There's no need, doubleoego, to immediately attack a fellow member on his thoughts. By the same token, RogueAgent, no need to waste a post on sarcasm.

Thank you for considering this, folks.

Happily accepted DarthDimi and apologies for my post. But i won't be slated like that for no reason what so ever.
    edited February 2012 Posts: 11,139
    @darthdimi I've taken on board your comments and with that being said, I suppose my earlier comment did come off as a bit hostile so I'll say this; @rogueagent I would kindly advise you to familiarise and educate yourself on spider-man or any subject matter in a matter of fact before making comments that expose you as either looking silly or terribly misinformed. However, it's just a movie not life or death so in the grand sceme of things I suppose it's what ever. No hard feelings old boy. ;)
    Virage wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Although it looks promising, i don't know why the reboot?

Ever Heard Of SM3?

Hahahahaha! Well, even though SM3 wasn't as good as the first two, I didn't think it was too bad. However, I didn't like how Harry got killed off at the end, I wish that hadn't happened, though if I remember correctly, it may have happened in the comics.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited February 2012 Posts: 4,399
    @fire_and_ice.. this is not a marvel reboot, but a Sony one - as they still control the rights to the character - so no, he wont be seen in Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Incredible Hulk, or Avengers....

moving on...

all this reboot is is a big middle finger to Raimi - who showed some brass, and decided to walk and not keep letting the studio (and their infinite wisdom *cough cough Spiderman 3*) interfere in his work..

while it wont bomb financially, i hope it does critically........ they've stripped away the fun of the Spider-man movies, and turned it into a second rate Batman Begins by going darker and more emo than it needs to be... i shall not be seeing this in theaters - i am not handing over my $9 for a reboot I don't need and didn't ask for.

Haserot, you are mistaken. These new movies have an emphasis on fun that was sorely missing from the Raimi movies. These films maybe darker but the tone is stylised to dispense with the horrible cheese that plagued Raimi's movies. In short, these new movies are going to be more accurate portrayals of the spider-man mythos.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    i respect Raimi as a director, person, and artist too much to go see this movie, and judging from all i have heard and read about what went on behind the scenes between Spider-man 3 thru to this reboot, I can't in good faith spend my money on this... sorry,..

not trying to be an arse.. but that is my stance, with all due respect.
    doubleoego wrote:
    @darthdimi I've taken on board your comments and with that being said, I suppose my earlier comment did come off as a bit hostile so I'll say this; @rogueagent I would kindly advise you to familiarise and educate yourself on spider-man or any subject matter in a matter of fact before making comments that expose you as either looking silly or terribly misinformed. However, it's just a movie not life or death so in the grand sceme of things I suppose it's what ever. No hard feelings old boy. ;)

I see your tone has not changed despite the mods observations. So i will do the same. No hard feelings ole boy! \:D/
    HASEROT wrote:
    i respect Raimi as a director, person, and artist too much to go see this movie, and judging from all i have heard and read about what went on behind the scenes between Spider-man 3 thru to this reboot, I can't in good faith spend my money on this... sorry,..

Fair enough.

I don't know why people keep saying Spidey has become emo. Just because the movie has a darker tone and Peter is portrayed more as an outcast than a nerd? People also keep refuring to the shot of Peter in class wearing his hoodie with his hood up... so what, I did that alot in high school and I'm not even close to being emo.
    When Peter wears black eyeliner, dyes his hair black, and gels it to cover one eye *cough Spiderman 3 cough* then you have a right to say he's emo.
    I'm sure this film will be very good and different from the Rami films, but I'm very sad to see a series I grew up on end with no real conclusion. I love the characters from the Rami films and it will take some convincing for me to get to like the new characters. Although I'm sure I'll warm up to them
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 1,856
    HASEROT wrote:

If You ever saw the Batman And Robin DVD you would see that Schumacher had the same problem. It was sorta like DAF they started off with a great script (Like Ivy KILLING the love interest). Then WB got hold of the script. :-S

And by that Standered Batman Begins would be pants (which it isn't)
  • Virage wrote:
    HASEROT wrote:

If You ever saw the Batman And Robin DVD you would see that Schumacher had the same problem. It was sorta like DAF they started off with a great script (Like Ivy KILLING the love interest). Then WB got hold of the script. :-S

Recently bought batman and robin special edition, credit to schumacher for apologizing for the debacle.
    Virage wrote:
    HASEROT wrote:

There's a big difference between the two though.... Batman Forever was a complete 180 in terms of tone from the first two Burton films... it was still enjoyable, but you could see where things were starting to go wrong... Batman and Robin took all those things that were wrong in Batman Forever, and amplified them to the nth degree, and threw more in to boot.. there isn't just one aspect that made BAR a complete disaster - it was a few handful of things - all crap........ a reboot was justified, and acceptable considering that it had been 8 years between films.. not 5.... Schumacher has made some great films, but i don't consider his 2 Batman films among his best, or even his average..

For whatever reason, people talk about SPM3 in the same breath as BAR, which it's far from..... does it have its problems? yes... they are merely a couple, in comparison to the buckets in BAR....

the Spider-man franchise did not warrant a reboot - they could've easily made this movie, called it Spider-man 4, and moved on with the series.... but nope - gotta stick it to Raimi because he insulted the suits by not wanting to bend to their ludicrous ideas.

There's more to the story than Raimi not wanting to do what the producers wanted. Also a little too late. Venom was shoehorned into the script and even though Raimi didn't like the character it's no excuse for doing a crappy job. Raimi should have walked before production started on SM3. Furthermore, Sony could have got some patsy director to go ahead with SM4 but thank God for Disney. With marvel being bought by Disney, Disney laid down a few ground rules, which is why this production is being treated with more seriousness than the previous 3. Good times ahead for this particular spider-man fan.
    the studio's place is to set a production budget and make sure everything is taken care of financially... their place is in the office, not the arts - hence, they should stay out of creative decisions..... they forced Venom onto Raimi way late into preproduction, and the script needed to get worked over to fit him at the last minute - and it was for no other reason than internet fans screaming that they wanted Venom..... if the studio and Marvel and DIsney were so upset with how SM3 turned out, then why did they want Raimi back to do another 3 more films?... exactly - the studio could care less about quality, which is what i have been saying all along.... its no secret that Raimi is a Spider-man fan from his childhood - and it's also no secret that he has a dislike for Venom - had the studio backed off, and just let Raimi do his thing, Spider-man 3 would've turned out much better than the clusterf*** that it was.
    doubleoego wrote:
    Furthermore, Sony could have got some patsy director to go ahead with SM4 but thank God for Disney.

and what is Marc Webb? lol... someone with very little Hollywood experience who will be just a "yes man" for the studio..... i fear deeply for the Spider-man franchise.

Why? Marvel aren't being punked by Sony at least not anymore. Back then Marvel studios needed Sony more than Sony needed them BUT Disney are large and in charge and own marvel now and is one of the reasons why the reboot is happening in the first place with much stronger adherence to the comics albeit more from the ultimate line as opposed to 616.
    edited February 2012 Posts: 4,399
    well, i know film... and Marvel and Disney are not the ones calling the shots - it's Sony... Marvel and Disney have absolutely no say so in what Sony wants to do with the character.... if Sony wanted Pauly Shore as Peter Parker and Rosie O'Donnel as Mary Jane or whoever - Marvel/Disney could absolutely do nothing, their hands are tied... any filming rights or leverage over what happens to the character on screen they sold years ago to Sony....

that is why you will only see "Marvel" in front of the movie, not "Marvel Studios"

i had to sit through all of this with The Punisher and Lionsgate back between 2004 and 2009 - almost similar situation.... except Sony wants to make money off Spider-man, Lionsgate just dumped all over Punisher...... thank god those rights reverted back - except now the FOX network is gonna carve up ol' Frank worse than LGF did :(
    No, what i'm saying is, yeah Sony own the rights to spider-man as a movie license but after Disney bought up Marvel things changed big time. It was what, back in 2000 that Marvel were bankrupt. Marvel weren't in the position to do anything really. Disney now owning marvel has changed things dramatically. Sony had to step up due to some clause in a new contract that Disney would snatch back the rights before Sony's allotted time of ownership. As for Marvel being at the start, well that's obviously because of the partnership marvel's had with all the studios they work with, which they only started doing in 2002 if memory serves correct. Either way, this new spidey movie is looking significantly better than the previous ones.