007 references in popular culture

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Poor George.

I'm sure he and Barry Nelson still come up in pub quizzes though so it's not all bad news. :)

I don't even count Nelson, so maybe I'm part of the problem here? Still, it's OHMSS for Fleming's sake. Give the man his due.

Yes, I agree though I was being facetious there of course. OHMSS is my favourite Bond film and Lazenby is a large part of that.
    Barry Nelson qualifies as Bond actor, but with a big asterisk, as he played Jimmy Bond, American agent.
    ===meanwhile Season One of the tv female wherewolf show Bitten .
    (2013-14) starring Laura Vandervoort, features a Skyfall reference

One of the townsfolk refers to attacking the big old house in the countryside that the wherewolf pack live in, as going Skyfall

The big old estate house that the wherewolves live in, does remind of Skyfall.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    timmer wrote: »
    Barry Nelson qualifies as Bond actor, but with a big asterisk, as he played Jimmy Bond, American agent.
    ===meanwhile Season One of the tv female wherewolf show Bitten .
    (2013-14) starring Laura Vandervoort, features a Skyfall reference

One of the townsfolk refers to attacking the big old house in the countryside that the wherewolf pack live in, as going Skyfall

The big old estate house that the wherewolves live in, does remind of Skyfall.

I think that's a leap to call it a Skyfall reference.
    Did you see the episode?
    He says the word Skyfall.
    No leap. It's clear as a bell.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Did you see the episode?

No, but the way you explained it in a choppy sentence made it unclear to me. Apologies.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 613
    Peter Bogdanovich's excellent Singapore-based drama SAINT JACK includes George Lazenby in a pivotal role and scene in which a stripper performs to the GOLDFINGER title song (Bassey's version).

In THE GOONIES, the Ke Huy Quan character idolizes Bond and listens to the "The James Bond Theme" on his cassette walkman.

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    The Goonies....Data plays the theme tune and goes down a zip line.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Austin Powers in general.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 4,622
    Did you see the episode?

No, but the way you explained it in a choppy sentence made it unclear to me. Apologies.

No problem @brady, I actually wondered if you had seen the episode . I bought the season1 blu-ray cheap at an HMV going-out-of-business sale. Laura Vandervoort in all her blonde glory, not to mention skimpy dress, on front cover beckoned.
    It's not a bad show, shot in Toronto
    It lasted two more seasons.
    I will provide the exact Skyfall quote for posterity when I review the episode in question.
    The episode, episode 1 I believe, would have been shot shortly after SF was released, so the movie was probably very current and fresh to the writers.
    If I ever get bitten by one of these creatures, I am going to track down Laura, join her pack, be a good loyal wolf, and go on wolf runs with her!

@timmer, I haven't see any of it, or even heard of it, which is strange since I can be an encyclopedia for random show names and stars. That it ran for one season may be part of why I haven't found out about it, however, as it failed to ignite a following. I do like Vandervoort, though. Very lovely lines.

Is the show a more modern kind of werewolf shot, or period set? By how you described Vandervoort's look, I'm guessing it's modern, like Buffy with werewolves or something.
    It ran 3 seasons.Its present day. It's of the fantasy horror genre.

Maybe more inspired by something like True Blood than Buffy, but it doesn't have True Blood's budget.
    Like True Blood, it's based on a series of novels.
    It's got a real Canadian bent. It's produced by a Canadian company, Bell Media, and shot in Toronto, which is also where Vandervoort is from.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    8miJcml.jpg
    Get Smart 2008

Steve Carrell as Maxwell Smart and Anne Hathaway as 99, both dressed in formal attire, are working their way through Moscow sewers.
    Smart complains to 99
    "You know what, I never saw James Bond in rats or poop, let alone rats and poop." both of which they were experiencing, being bold and daring Control agents.

=====Guess Agent 86 never saw From Russia With Love.
    The whole movie is a Bond inspired, comedy-action escapist spy romp.
    Very well done!
    Well worth the rewatch.
    On last night's Survivor episode (CBS) one of the players, Haley (good looking brunette) fearing she might be voted out said, "I'd like to die another day"

Maybe she's a Bond fan. Too bad for her though.
    The others voted to Live and let Die.
    She died. Torch snuffed.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    On last night's Survivor episode (CBS) one of the players, Haley (good looking brunette) fearing she might be voted out said, "I'd like to die another day"

Maybe she's a Bond fan. Too bad for her though.
    The others voted to Live and let Die.
    She died. Torch snuffed.

Quoting the worst Bond film was not a wise move.
    She paid the price! Damn, she was my favourite

I can still ogle her on the jury!
    She paid the price! Damn, she was my favourite

I can still ogle her on the jury!

Did the other islanders scare the living daylights out of her when the votes were counted?
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 5,772
    From the french heist movie La Grosse Caisse. The hero of the movie is working for the Paris underground system, and writes a crime novel (based on his experience) in his free time. Once it's finished, he decides that, to sell it better, he has to take an english Nom de Plume. He takes a glance at his shelves full of other crime novels ans says : "Of course, the best ones are already taken !" Among the books are a few of Ian Fleming novels, in the Plon original editions (the ones with the picture of Sean Connery on the cover).

And of course, there's the italian comic series Gli Aristocratici, where the titular band of gentlemen thieves came to the help of a very famous secret agent who had trouble winning at cards against a villain. Here's a snap of their first meeting :

alvaro.jpg
    Is that Sean's likeness above?
    Gerard wrote: »
    From the french heist movie La Grosse Caisse. The hero of the movie is working for the Paris underground system, and writes a crime novel (based on his experience) in his free time. Once it's finished, he decides that, to sell it better, he has to take an english Nom de Plume. He takes a glance at his shelves full of other crime novels ans says : "Of course, the best ones are already taken !" Among the books are a few of Ian Fleming novels, in the Plon original editions (the ones with the picture of Sean Connery on the cover).

And of course, there's the italian comic series Gli Aristocratici, where the titular band of gentlemen thieves came to the help of a very famous secret agent who had trouble winning at cards against a villain. Here's a snap of their first meeting :

alvaro.jpg

I remember that comics series and that very story.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned 1981's "L'Odyssée d' Astérix" (English title "Asterix and the Black Gold") yet.17307660958_27684884f3_b.jpg
    To quote Wikipedia, "The character Dubbelosix [a Roman spy] is an obvious homage to Sean Connery, star of the early James Bond movies. Uderzo modelled him on the appearance of Connery at the time the book was being drawn. Dubbelosix uses many "ancient times" versions of the popular gadgets of the Bond movies. His name is a pun on "006" (i.e. "007") — the "six" being required for the "-ix" suffix of all Gaulish names in Asterix, and also reflecting the number of times Sean Connery portrayed the role of James Bond on screen, which at the time was six."
    Asterix-Black-Gold-int.jpg
    "M." Devius Surreptitius, the head of M.I. VI, by the way, is a portrait of French actor Bernard Blier.
    g39.gif
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I remember both of those Gli Aristocratici and Asterix stories very well. Great memories!
    Quite clever to tell a spy story in ancient Rome, using the Roman numerals to make the "agency" MI6.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 4,622
    The movie event of the year has a brazen Bond reference!
    Baywatch (2017)
    Priyanka Chopra as super gorgeous (former Miss World) lead villainess, Victoria Leeds, accused of grand villainy, answers with faux indignation.

"I'm not a Bond villain...at least not yet"

baywatch-movie-poster-priyanka-chopra-1485286034-640x999.jpg
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited June 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Noticed in Burn Notice Season 5, Episode 04 where a sequence takes place in Monte Carlo, as Michael Westen (Jeffrey Donovan) makes his dramatic entrance to the scene dressed in tuxedo, a reminiscent of the GoldenEye Trailer music plays. A reminiscent. Same beats, similar tunes, different note structure. Gave me the goosebumps.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Just rewatching The Trip to Italy as myself and Mrs Wizard are making an almost religious tour of the same restaurants and I'd forgotten the sheer number of Bond references.

Most poignantly, given our recent tragic loss, there's a riff they do as Roger and Michael Caine and how they are now old men in the twilight of life with time running out:

'You just dropped your haitch Rog. That's not like you.'
    'I 'avent got the time any more Michael.'

Almost brought a tear to my eye.

Haven't seen the new series in Spain yet but I'd be surprised if Rog doesn't feature again.
    I got to see 'The Trip to Spain' in Cannes this year. I was invited by the production company who told me that to cut the 6 part series down to a 90 minute feature film they had to cut out all of the "Anglican humour".
    To my surprise 'Spain' has the most Moore impressions than both previous movies combined. It leads me to think that there would be at least twice as much in the tv show.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    That sounds bloody awful. Take out the English humour and what have you got? Two blokes driving round going to restaurants.

Never seen any of the film versions and now I'm sure I never will. No idea why they release them as films anyway - can't imagine anyone outside the UK would be interested in the slightest.
  • I hadn't even realized they were making The Trip to Spain! I need to find this when it becomes available, preferably unabridged. The first two were brilliant.