That has brought a lump to my throat.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Great tribute video.
    A beautiful homage to the great man.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 2,010
    Excellent tribute.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    Such devastating news.

Sir Roger was a true gentleman. Perhaps the only (famous) person in the world I admire not only as an actor, but also and mostly as a human being. Always kind, generous, witty, enjoying life to the full without disrespecting anyone and dedicating himself wholly to very important causes. A real role model.

I feel extremely fortunate and privileged to have met Sir Roger two times and exchanged brief words with him.

The world is definitely a worse place without you, Sir Roger. You will forever be in my mind and heart as an inspiration and an exemplar human being. May you rest in peace.

And remember, folks. He's not really dead as long as we remember him.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    roger-moore-knitwear-model-5.jpg
    It's difficult to know what to say in a few words that could truly do justice to such a magnificent man.

Never once a duff performance from this great, charismatic, captivating yet ridiculously underrated actor and a wonderful humanitarian and entertaining raconteur to boot.

He excelled already on TV as Simon Templar and Brett Sinclair but soared on the big screen. A true and traditional leading movie star. As others have said, immediately recognisable by both appearance and that magnificent voice.

I've not long watched all his films as part of a current Bond marathon re-watch but this coming Bank Holiday weekend is the perfect opportunity to watch them again with his commentary track. Besides as any Brit of a certain age will know, a Bank Holiday isn't a Bank Holiday without a Bond film.

Rest in peace Roger and thanks for all those warm and happy memories from childhood as the Bond I grew up with.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    That is hilarious. They needed Sir Rog behind the scenes during the disgrace at this year's Oscars I'll tell you.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 2,010
    bondjames wrote: »
    That is hilarious. They needed Sir Rog behind the scenes during the disgrace at this year's Oscars I'll tell you.

I'm afraid that not even Sir Roger could've been able to fix Beatty and Dunaway's debacle. Might have raised an eyebrow and said a quip however.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    At 11pm tonight in the UK BBC Radio 2 are repeating a 2014 interview with Sir Roger as a tribute. The program is called The Art of Artists. I'll listen and raise a glass. Have a listen if you can.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    @FoxRox That's beautiful! Thanks for sharing.
    What Moore can I say that hasn't already been said? That's quite a dreadful pun, and quite possibly one that's already been made Moore than once in this thread, but I'm quite sure Sir Roger himself wouldn't have minded.

Why would I think so? Because of precisely that quality he had that made you think you knew him, as if he were an old friend, even if you'd never met him. The kind of old friend you'd hope, think, and even somewhat expect to always be around. And even if I now have to acknowledge that that, sadly, won't be the case, I also realize that, fortunately, in many ways he WILL always be around. He won't be forgotten around these parts, and there are many other places where he won't be forgotten, through all he has done and leaves behind.

Watchting his Bonds will never quite feel the same, but they certainly won't feel any less entertaining or fun. He made sure of that.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    What Moore can I say that hasn't already been said? That's quite a dreadful pun, and quite possibly one that's already been made Moore than once in this thread, but I'm quite sure Sir Roger himself wouldn't have minded.

Why would I think so? Because of precisely that quality he had that made you think you knew him, as if he were an old friend, even if you'd never met him. The kind of old friend you'd hope, think, and even somewhat expect to always be around. And even if I now have to acknowledge that that, sadly, won't be the case, I also realize that, fortunately, in many ways he WILL always be around. He won't be forgotten around these parts, and there are many other places where he won't be forgotten, through all he has done and leaves behind.

Watchting his Bonds will never quite feel the same, but they certainly won't feel any less entertaining or fun. He made sure of that.

Excellent post @JerzyBondov
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited May 2017 Posts: 4,416
    For Dutch speaking people. 24 May 2017 in Dutch paper.

2db2x5x.jpg
    In Seven James Bondfilms in the 70&80's, was it Roger Moore who played the secret agent. Turn out to be one of charmest Bonds, but never be a true action hero.
    Thanks for your post @patb some lovely stories from Ordinary people. Showing
    Just what a Gentleman Sir Roger was.
    Can't find what Dalton said. Has he issued a statement?
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 5,185
    Getafix wrote: »
    Can't find what Dalton said. Has he issued a statement?

Elton John would come to Moore's funeral and sing Candle in the Wind. The lyrics would go like this: Goodbye Roger Moore, though I never...(insert lyrics)...Seems to me that you lived your life like a candle in the wind...

This is fantastic completely forgot about this.
    I am 53 years old and Roger Moore has always been part of my life. From early vague memories of The Saint to The Persuaders and of course Bond and beyond. That fantastic run of movies in the 1970s, not just Bond of course but Gold, Shout at the Devil, Sea Wolves and my own favorite and still in my top ten all time favorite movies The Wild Geese. And even though he sort of retired from film after Bond he was still always there, on chat shows, his live shows and his books. He will be sadly missed. RIP to one of my childhood heroes
    Some of you were born when Roger Moore was Bond.

If you were born in the early days of the Moore era, 1972 or 1973, probably MR or FYEO were your first Bond movie you saw in theaters. VCRs weren't around when MR and FYEO came out. You were old enough to see AVTAK by yourself in theaters.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    I wasn't even born when he was finished with Bond. Yet I only just now realise how much he touched my life, through his humanitarian work, humour, and Bond. I don't normally mourn for celebrities as they are so distant to our own lives, but Sir Roger was so down to earth and friendly to alll... the anecdotes floating around touch us all. The world is a worse place without him.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I was one when he did OP so my first Bond was Tim. First Bond in theatres was Pierce though.
    w2bond wrote: »
    I wasn't even born when he was finished with Bond. Yet I only just now realise how much he touched my life, through his humanitarian work, humour, and Bond. I don't normally mourn for celebrities as they are so distant to our own lives, but Sir Roger was so down to earth and friendly to alll... the anecdotes floating around touch us all. The world is a worse place without him.

You were born during Dalton's reign then?
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    edited May 2017 Posts: 3,099
    Saw this on Twitter and thought it was really sweet:

(edit: and if anyone would like to tell me how to embed tweets I'd be very grateful)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    That s cool.
    Hahaha brilliant ...he would have loved that !
    Great photo.
This discussion has been closed.