The case for and against... Martin Campbell

Comments

• edited May 2017 Posts: 11,425
    Getafix wrote: »

Au contrair, the moment I saw Bond appear head first over that toilet I knew immediately where the series was heading.

Totally agree it's the worst first appearance by any Bond. Don't know what the hell Campbell was thinking.

I'm one of that small group who thought GE was abysmal and was not remotely surorised by the direction his era took. DAD was the logical conclusion tbh. But TWINE is actually the worst.

Campbell did redeem himself impressively with CR though.

Oh my god, you're my twin. TWINE is worst. GE was a bad start, and one can see where it's gonna go. TND might be the most successful of the lot, to be honest.

We are clearly twins. Always thought TND was the least awful of the Brosnan era. Actually quite enjoy the first half. Shame about Hatcher.

The adoration for GE around here is bizarre. Totally flatulent film.

Au contrair, the moment I saw Bond appear head first over that toilet I knew immediately where the series was heading.

Totally agree it's the worst first appearance by any Bond. Don't know what the hell Campbell was thinking.

I'm one of that small group who thought GE was abysmal and was not remotely surorised by the direction his era took. DAD was the logical conclusion tbh. But TWINE is actually the worst.

Oh my god, you're my twin. TWINE is worst. GE was a bad start, and one can see where it's gonna go. TND might be the most successful of the lot, to be honest.

We are clearly twins. Always thought TND was the least awful of the Brosnan era. Actually quite enjoy the first half. Shame about Hatcher.

Same here. I was totally deflated by GE, the hackneyed dialogue and performances in the pre-titles alone put me off it...and then we had the 'cheat' stunt to compound it all.

I never found the film as action packed as some professed it to be, other than a lot of explosions and machine gun fire. For all the talk of LTK looking like a TV movie GE looks quite cheap in this day and age rather like a straight to video Segal film.

At least TND gave us another take on YOLT/TSWLM and a more comfortable performance from Brosnan which made things easier to accept him for the time being. A shame the film did indeed have Hatcher and also returned to machine gun antics for the finale.

Campbell did a great job on CR but I'll absolutely never forgive the man for so uncharitably taking swipes at Dalton during his promotion of GE. Craig's performance in CR suggests that Dalton was on the right track so Campbell's impression of what makes a good Bond had either changed or he was just submitting to promo hyperbole for Brosnan back in 1995. Even still, it seemed unsporting.

Campbell is of course praised for rejuvenating the series twice with two come back films and debutante Bonds but as no other Director had this opportunity to do so we can't fairly use this as a means to rate him above Young, Hamilton, Gilbert, Hunt and Glen.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Cowley wrote: »

Same here. I was totally deflated by GE, the hackneyed dialogue and performances in the pre-titles alone put me off it...and then we had the 'cheat' stunt to compound it all.

I never found the film as action packed as some professed it to be, other than a lot of explosions and machine gun fire. For all the talk of LTK looking like a TV movie GE looks quite cheap in this day and age rather like a straight to video Segal film.

At least TND gave us another take on YOLT/TSWLM and a more comfortable performance from Brosnan which made things easier to accept him for the time being. A shame the film did indeed have Hatcher and also returned to machine gun antics for the finale.

Campbell did a great job on CR but I'll absolutely never forgive the man for so uncharitably taking swipes at Dalton during his promotion of GE. Craig's performance in CR suggests that Dalton was on the right track so Campbell's impression of what makes a good Bond had either changed or he was just submitting to promo hyperbole for Brosnan back in 1995. Even still, it seemed unsporting.

Campbell is of course praised for rejuvenating the series twice with two come back films and debutante Bonds but as no other Director had this opportunity to do so we can't fairly use this as a means to rate him above Young, Hamilton, Gilbert, Hunt and Glen.

Eh?

Entirely agree. Refreshing to hear from someone who isn't convinced GE was the second coming
    edited May 2017 Posts: 7,969
    I've never understood the hysteria around Brosnan firing a machine gun. That's just the guns the Russians had. Brosnan constantly picking up machine guns makes less sense as the films go on, but for GE it was correct.
    People who write and direct the films decide this stuff, not the Russians

What did Campbell say exactly about Dalton? Any quotes or online video to back this up?
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited May 2017 Posts: 5,131

For me CR is first class. But GE is just ok, mediocure, average.

What never ceases to puzzle and amuse on a personal level is when this film is rated highly by Bond "fans." Ultimately, it provides little more than a flashy, over-hyped, vapid, MTV-influenced pot-pourri of greatest hits moments which don't add up to a satisfying whole. It's like one of those mediocre compilation albums where you simply flick through to the songs you like, enjoying the few good bits, and arbitrarily disregarding the rest. Fleeting surface flash and gloss with no real heart or soul. A hollow Bond movie garnering hollow praise.

To try and be more objective on GE:

PTS: Excellent, despite the 'fake stunt'.
    Title Track: Good.
    Title Credits: Average.
    Main Villain: Average.
    Main Bond Girl: Forgettable.
    Henchman: Excellent.
    Overall Plot: Average. Satellites in space....yawn.
    Dialogue: Average.
    Score: The worst of the series. Disgusting.
    Settings: Average.
    Action: Average.
    Humour : Average.
    Cinematography: Excellent.
    Benign Bizarre: Average.
    Suspense: Average.
    Minor Characters: Average.
    Glamour: Good.
    Bond Performance: Distinctly average.

As I though.....average.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I think what GE brought that was a bit different, but which has unfortunately been played to death since, is the personal connection between Bond and the villain. That was something new at the time, and served to humanize the participants and give the film a more grounded flavour.

As I said, played to death in disgraceful ways since. Enough.

What did Campbell say exactly about Dalton? Any quotes or online video to back this up?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 7,969
    I don't think it's a hollow Bond, or where you get that idea from? The characters are well defined and acted, and the story is intriguing in the first half, much like the suspense thrillers of the time, and builds to a well staged, explosive finale. All the elements are there, it's the series in top gear.

I agree that the aston chase at the beginning, with it's cheesy dialogue and horrid music, was a step too far in winking back to the old days, but apart from that the film feels modern and alive.

My favourite Bond film since TLD.
    I don't think it's a hollow Bond, or where you get that idea from? The characters are well defined and acted, and the story is intriguing in the first half, much like the suspense thrillers of the time, and builds to a well staged, explosive finale. All the elements are there, it's the series in top gear.

I agree that the aston chase at the beginning, with it's cheesy dialogue and horrid music, was a step too far in winking back to the old days, but apart from that the film feels modern and alive.

My favourite Bond film since TLD.

Although some of the set-pieces are impressive, it's just greatest hits moments which don't add up to a satisfying whole.

Not helping in the least is the score which, it has to be said, is a truly dreadful thing of epic proportions. The worst and most offensive example takes place when Bond has a car race with Onatop. Was it purposely intended for use in screenings only for the deaf? Those notes meant to signify car horns are crushingly ugly and horribly grating. A musical travesty capable of inducing suicidal inclinations in hyenas and hypomanics.

As for Brosnan, he's just ok, he cosmetically smarmed and smirked through the movie with the clumsy over-confidence of an actor who thinks he's extending his range, when he's really showing off his limitations.

He looks the part, but he isn't quite the part.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    That is one of my favourite scenes in the entire 24 film official canon, right down to the music, which is deliberately playful and fits the scene like a glove. It just reeks of old school Bondian style and flair, done so well that even Big Cruise tried to do something similar a few years back in MI2, and not as well. It was a beautiful way to open the film up post-title song. Set the tone.

For me, it's one of the iconic scenes in the series.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    People who dismiss him because of GE have to realise he did amazingly with what he was given. I'd argue he saved the film and made it work, despite the horrid soundtrack and a script that needed more polish to put it mildly.
    bondjames wrote: »
    That is one of my favourite scenes in the entire 24 film official canon, right down to the music, which is deliberately playful and fits the scene like a glove. It just reeks of old school Bondian style and flair, done so well that even Big Cruise tried to do something similar a few years back in MI2, and not as well. It was a beautiful way to open the film up post-title song. Set the tone.

There was never horrible music in the old days though? It was class. The scene is nothing special though....it's an average scene, with a sub par Bond girl in the Aston trying to be like a classic.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    If you want to be 'objective' about GE, than why not be objective about the franchise as a whole. Half the franchise, if not a bit more, is 'objectively' mediocre/average by these same criterias I've seen listed in this thread a few posts ago.

Apart from DN, FRWL, GF, TB, OHMSS, TSWLM, GE, CR and SF, the rest of the franchise should be considered as 'shit' judging by how some dismiss these films.
    If you want to be 'objective' about GE, than why not be objective about the franchise as a whole. Half the franchise, if not a bit more, is 'objectively' mediocre/average by these same criterias I've seen listed in this thread a few posts ago.

Apart from DN, FRWL, GF, TB, OHMSS, TSWLM, GE, CR and SF, the rest of the franchise should be considered as 'shit' judging by how some dismiss these films.

I would swap out TSWLM and LALD on that list. Other than that, you got it right.
    I deem DN, FRWL, GF, TB, YOLT, OHMSS, LALD, TSWLM, FYEO, TLD, LTK, CR, QoS, SF, NSNA and SP all as classic brilliant Bond. I just think GE I had average and mediocure. So 70% of the franchise. I actually rate parts of GE better than some of the above. But as a whole, no.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2017 Posts: 15,686
    So you don't understand GE getting plenty of high esteem, because you say it doesn't deserve it, but yet you praise QOS, which is one of the least-liked Bond films in the whole cannon? And is practically a forgotten Bond film by a large part of the general audience, despite being released less than 10 years ago?

So, 'objectively', one of the most popular Bond films, is 'mediocre', but QOS, one of the least-liked of the franchise, is deserving of being near the top of most praised list?
    So you don't understand GE getting plenty of high esteem, because you say it doesn't deserve it, but yet you praise QOS, which is one of the least-liked Bond films in the whole cannon? And is practically a forgotten Bond film by a large part of the general audience, despite being released yet than 10 years ago?

Great point. Internal inconsistency abound!

Compared with GE.....QoS has a more Fleming tone, a more interesting plot (carrying on from CR), a better score, better action sequences, better supporting actors and a far better actor in the lead role who has the presence to carry the film.
    You're still not answering the question. Why do you say that one of the most popular Bond film is 'objectively' mediocre, while saying at the same time one of the least liked outings in the franchise is one of the best? You're basically saying a large portion of the fanbase don't understand their own franchise, and that practically the entire general audience is also unable to recognize a proper quality Bond film.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 11,189
    Theres certainly a case for QOS having a better lead actor and even a better supporting cast, but I can't agree on the action.

I find most of the action in QOS fairly tedious and flat.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Theres certainly a case for QOS having a better lead actor and even a better supporting cast, but I can't agree on the action.

I find most of the action in QOS fairly tedious and flat.

QoS terrible action.
    I actually rank QOS higher than GE, but the point I'm making is when we start talking about 'objectivity' in opinions on the franchise is frankly a load of bull. Just from a sample of a few hundred fans who post regularly on these forums, we have such a variety of views and rankings, that objectivity is practically non-existent. We have some members here that rank Moore as #1 and some that rank him at the bottom, same with Lazenby, Dalton, Brosnan and Craig. We're also unable to agree on which film of each Bond actor is the best, (or even which is the worst), we can't agree which of their respective performances are the best or worst. It's even impossible for this community to come up with a definitive answer on which Dalton film is the best, and he only made 2 films!
    There's the odd scene like the fight with Slate, but they are often so over-edited I find myself tuning out.
    suavejmf wrote: »

There was never horrible music in the old days though? It was class. The scene is nothing special though....it's an average scene, with a sub par Bond girl in the Aston trying to be like a classic.
    The GE sequence has music that's on par with Conti's work in the FYEO action scenes. In fact, I actually prefer it to what Conti did.

Fair enough, but for me it's not efficient enough to justify it's existence. The main purpose seems to be to reassure the audience that this is the same old James we know and love, and at the same time introduce him to new fans. It's a nice demonstration of the characters various attributes, but story wise, it doesn't really do much. And it takes it's time not really doing much, too. Maybe if they chopped out some of the antics with the cyclists and just moved through it a bit quicker, it might work better.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 11,425

Wow. I usually find your comments insightful and entertaining but the GE car chase is one of your favourite Bond scenes and you think it has old school Bond flair?

Are you taking the proverbial?

So funny how peope can have such diametrically opposed views. For me GE is a clunking catastrophe. A plodding, poorly acted and written fanboy fantasy of what a Bond movie is. I.e. an embarrassment from start to finish

Fair enough, but for me it's not efficient enough to justify it's existence. The main purpose seems to be to reassure the audience that this is the same old James we know and love, and at the same time introduce him to new fans. It's a nice demonstration of the characters various attributes, but story wise, it doesn't really do much. And it takes it's time not really doing much, too. Maybe if they chopped out some of the antics with the cyclists and just moved through it a bit quicker, it might work better.
    One has to understand that this sequence came after the Dalton years, which were in many ways dour (especially the last one). The purpose was to indeed show that the fun, cool & playful James was back, that the old film making style & flair was back, and to introduce Famke Janssen's Onatopp as a larger than life eccentric & charismatic villain (in the Fatima Blush mold). The throwback to both GF & To Catch A Thief was a nice touch as well. It's never a bad thing to evoke the classics imho, if it's done deftly.
    Wow. I usually find your comments insightful and entertaining but the GE car chase is one of your favourite Bond scenes and you think it has old school Bond flair?

Are you taking the proverbial?
    No, I'm being serious. Of course there is an obvious camp element to the whole thing (as there was with Silva's introduction in SF), but that was EON's intention imho. They went serious with Dalton, had poor success in the US, endured the long break, and wanted to come back with a bang. What better way to do it than to play up the humour and fun aspects? After all, True Lies had just been a monster smash in the year prior with a similar light touch approach.