Sir Roger Moore (1927 - 2017)

Comments

• Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
  • I suppose we all knew that it was inevitable that there would come a day when the small cohort of men who played James Bond would cease to be whole. For the first day of my life, let alone the better part of two decades that I've been enthralled by the 007 saga, one of the actors who embodied that immortal character no longer walks this earth.

Sir Roger Moore brought urbane sophistication, wit, charm, and a level of warmth to the role. I'll always fondly remember being a kid and staying up late to watch his escapist adventures on TV. One can argue about which actor played Bond best, but there's little doubt that the most consistent and enthusiastic ambassador for the franchise was Sir Roger. On top of that, he was a consummate gentleman and a decent human being.

Truly an actor and a man of the "old school" whose absence will be sorely missed.

Nobody does it better indeed.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited May 2017 Posts: 10,588
    I still haven't really wrapped my head around this whole thing.

Roger was 89 and in relatively good health (his final days notwithstanding). He had a magnificent, seasoned career and a life worth living, giving back to those who were less fortunate than he was.

I think the sadness and shock comes from the fact that not all of our Bond's are with us now. After all, none of us have ever known a reality other than having all six here with us.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    jake24 wrote: »

Roger was 89 and in relatively good health (his final days notwithstanding). He had a magnificent, seasoned career and a life worth living, giving back to those who were less fortunate than he was.

I think the sadness and shock comes from the fact that not all of our Bond's are with us now. After all, none of us have ever known a reality other than having all six here with us.

Well said. I also thought about it (and without sounding too macabre), I think it'll be the last time we ever have any 6 Bond actors alive at once.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 19,339

Well said. I also thought about it (and without sounding too macabre), I think it'll be the last time we ever have any 6 Bond actors alive at once.

There is quite an age gap between George and Tim (I still cant believe Roger isn't in the middle there) of 6-7 years .

Sean : 86
    George : 77
    Tim : 71
    Pierce : 64
    Daniel : 49

But you could well be right.....a sad time.

• CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    "Whoever said never meet your heroes had clearly never had mine as theirs."

CATCHING BULLETS remembers Roger Moore - his bedroom wall Bond, screen hero, sartorial sage, raconteurial inspiration, wedding [telegram] crasher and the kindest, best 007...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/may/24/roger-moore-best-james-bond-007-wedding-day#img-2
    @CatchingBullets a member posted your article a bit further up this page,and I have to say its a fantastic piece of writing,right from the heart.

Well done,Sir Roger will be proud !!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    barryt007 wrote: »

There is quite an age gap between George and Tim (I still cant believe Roger isn't in the middle there) of 6-7 years .

Sean : 86
    George : 77
    Tim : 71
    Pierce : 64
    Daniel : 49

But you could well be right.....a sad time.
    It's all very surreal.
  • CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    @CatchingBullets a member posted your article a bit further up this page,and I have to say its a fantastic piece of writing,right from the heart.

Ah. I didn't see that. Thanks guys.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Certainly feels like a very long day. Almost surreal.
    I don't know if anyone else here has experienced this but, when one goes to bed for the night after a sad day like this, upon awaking in the morning, for the briefest of instances, you feel fine....then suddenly you remember what had happened the day before. It hits you and the grief sinks in again.
    Well, I'm not looking forward to that sensation. I am quite drained.
    In a few days I may pop in a Roger Bond, or a Saint episode, but I couldn't bring myself to do it today.

Yes, I experienced this this morning. Roger's passing has been on my mind just as it was yesterday.

I've approached it with a viewing of OP, my favorite of his films last night, more soundtrack listening this morning and a Saint episode later today.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Some beautiful thoughts and words here guys.

A day removed from the passing of my favourite Bond and I still feel as though someone I know has been lost, as silly as that may be.

I think an above poster got it spot on with these words "The world is a far less charming place without Sir Roger in it."
    stag wrote: »
    NicNac wrote: »
    It's understandable that Roger Moore's passing would be pushed back in the BBC's priorities, following the Manchester bombing, but it's still a shame that they practically ignored it.
    This morning they gave the item about 30 seconds in a three hour news show. I may have missed a more substantial tribute of course, but even so, just to break from the Manchester news items for a few minutes would have been ok I'm sure.

I may sound insensitive, and I apologise if I do, but Roger was a major star and terrific ambassador for UNICEF.

They did do a good piece about him on the BBC news channel yesterday, in fact that's where I heard of his death. The managed to show it despite all what was happening. There were interview clips where RM spoke about Bond and afterwards an interview in the studio with some bloke, who spoke about him and his career. I would say it lasted between five and ten minutes.

It is indeed particularly sad that Sir Rog's death has been overshadowed by the events in Manchester, but I don't think BBC can be faulted for dedicating most of its coverage to the attack. Any other day almost and Rog would have got the send off and fond recollections that he deserved. But I am fairly sure that being the extremely modest man he was, he would have wanted the attention and concern focused on the victims and their families.
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    edited May 2017 Posts: 308
    Found this just now, interview with John Glen;

"Every time I think of Roger, I smile because he was such a funny man," Glen says. "He had great humility and he didn't act like a star — yet he was."

You can listen to it here: http://www.cbc.ca/radio/q/wednesday-may-24-2017-ryan-adams-lena-waithe-and-more-1.4127611/james-bond-director-says-roger-moore-brought-a-freshness-to-the-famous-character-1.4129011
    Getafix wrote: »
    stag wrote: »
    NicNac wrote: »
    It's understandable that Roger Moore's passing would be pushed back in the BBC's priorities, following the Manchester bombing, but it's still a shame that they practically ignored it.
    This morning they gave the item about 30 seconds in a three hour news show. I may have missed a more substantial tribute of course, but even so, just to break from the Manchester news items for a few minutes would have been ok I'm sure.

I may sound insensitive, and I apologise if I do, but Roger was a major star and terrific ambassador for UNICEF.

They did do a good piece about him on the BBC news channel yesterday, in fact that's where I heard of his death. The managed to show it despite all what was happening. There were interview clips where RM spoke about Bond and afterwards an interview in the studio with some bloke, who spoke about him and his career. I would say it lasted between five and ten minutes.

It is indeed particularly sad that Sir Rog's death has been overshadowed by the events in Manchester, but I don't think BBC can be faulted for dedicating most of its coverage to the attack. Any other day almost and Rog would have got the send off and fond recollections that he deserved. But I am fairly sure that being the extremely modest man he was, he would have wanted the attention and concern focused on the victims and their families.

Exactly. As I said earlier, considering his work for UNICEF, I'm quite sure he would have viewed his own death as insigificant in comparison to the many children affected by the attack in Manchester.

I can pretty much hear him say "89 year old actor dies. That's not really a story"

It's still a shame though that I haven't (yet) seen a short report or phone-in discussing Rog
    I was disappointed in the lack of coverage on one of the big cable channels in the U.S. The E (Entertainment) Network had a 2-hour daily news show and it focused on understandable stories such as the Manchester tragedy and the two finales of competition shows.

But there was plenty on the Jamie Foxx-Katie Holmes relationship, no less than 3 Kardashians segments, like 3 fashion segments, focus on a useless show called The Bachelorette which had its premiere, Orlando Bloom's love life and other useless stuff. Maybe the worst part was it was supposed to be a 2-hour show and they just repeated the first hour in the second exactly as it was broadcast. Why not just call it celebrity update show?

They couldn't have done a small segment in tribute to an actor who not only made a huge mark in popular culture but also in charitable causes?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @BT3366, that's exactly what the show is: celebrity ego waxing, nothing more. Expecting any sort of touching tribute from them is a mistake.
    What's worse than having lost a James Bond, what's worse than having lost Roger Moore, is that the world has lost one of its' prime examples of humanity's potential to be good.

The average quality of our species took a big hit yesterday.

I still have little more I know to say at this point.
    "Whoever said never meet your heroes had clearly never had mine as theirs."

CATCHING BULLETS remembers Roger Moore - his bedroom wall Bond, screen hero, sartorial sage, raconteurial inspiration, wedding [telegram] crasher and the kindest, best 007...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/may/24/roger-moore-best-james-bond-007-wedding-day#img-2
    Wonderful article. Thanks for sharing.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.

Ah. I didn't see that. Thanks guys.

A beautiful heartfelt piece Mark brought a tear to my eye when I read it earlier we all miss him very much and I know that it will be harder for some than for others keep your end up and carry on.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Tribute on BBC Radio 2 tonight (well, repeat of an old interview, but...):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04cp5f6
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    "I knew Roger as a kind and generous man. He was a wonderfully engaging and successful actor. My thoughts are with his family." -Timothy Dalton
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I imagine they will tribute the next film to Roger like they did with Cubby.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    I just caught the tail end of a great tribute to RM on the BBC 'One Show'. I suggest that those with iplayer, or whatever it's called, check it out.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Did we hear anything from George?

"George Lazenby, who preceded Moore as the consummate British secret agent, wrote in a statement, "I liked Roger, he was a genuine fellow, a really good guy."
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I imagine they will tribute the next film to Roger like they did with Cubby.
    I hope so. I hope they go for a lighter touch as well.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    edited May 2017 Posts: 2,630
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Did we hear anything from George?

"Roger was one of the good guys and will be missed by many. I know he was loved by his family and many others."
    -George Lazenby
    So now all of the other five Bonds have made a little tribute to Roger. I'm sure Roger would have done the same.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Everyone knew who Roger Moore was. Not sure if that can be said about any other living actor.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Everyone knew who Roger Moore was. Not sure if that can be said about any other living actor.
    That's a very good point, and I think that's why his passing has been difficult for me. I feel as though I knew him, even though I didn't.
This discussion has been closed.