Sir Roger Moore (1927 - 2017)

AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
edited May 2017 in Actors Posts: 2,630
This news deserves its own thread.

On 23 May 2017, it was announced that Sir Roger Moore has died of cancer. He is best known to all of us for playing James Bond - 007 in seven films between 1973 to 1985. He is also known for his longstanding association with UNICEF as a Goodwill Ambassador. May he rest in peace.

rUdt8oD.png

"Dear Sir Roger Moore, It is indeed with a heavy heart that I hear the news of your passing this morning. You were a big part of my life, from The Saint to James Bond.. .you were a magnificent James Bond and one that lead the way for me, the world will miss you and your unique sense of humor for years to come. My sincerest condolences to your family and children. RIP"
-Pierce Brosnan

"I was very sad to hear of Roger’s passing. We had an unusually long relationship by Hollywood standards, that was filled with jokes and laughter, I will miss him."
-Sir Sean Connery

"I knew Roger as a kind and generous man. He was a wonderfully engaging and successful actor. My thoughts are with his family."
-Timothy Dalton

“We are heartbroken at the news of Sir Roger Moore’s passing. On the screen, he reinvented the role of James Bond with tremendous skill, charisma and humour. In real life, he was a genuine hero working as a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador for many years dedicating his life to alleviating the suffering of children all over the world. He was a loyal and beloved friend and his legacy shall live on through his films and the millions of lives he touched. We shall miss him enormously. Our love and thoughts are with Deborah, Geoffrey, Christian his grandchildren and his wife Kristina.”
-Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli

“I am deeply saddened by the news of Roger Moore’s passing. Roger was a beloved part of the MGM family for decades and leaves behind a legacy of iconic film and television performances that will be revered for generations to come. His suave sophistication in his defining role as James Bond was matched only by his generosity and kindness. He bettered the lives of countless individuals around the world through his long-standing involvement with UNICEF as a Goodwill Ambassador. Roger will be sorely missed but always remembered, and our thoughts are with his family”
-Gary Barber

"Nobody Does It Better"
-Daniel Craig

"[Roger was] a genuine fellow, a really good guy."
-George Lazenby

"Wonderful memories of my dear friend Roger Moore. One of the nicest people I have ever met. I will miss him. It was a real honor to work with him in my debut film. Amazing class panache humor n stature. From the saint to Bond to UNICEF. I was so fortunate to have worked with Roger in a Bond film n later at the UN. He was UNICEF ambassador when I was messenger of peace. My deepest condolences to Debra Geoffrey n Christian on the passing of my dear friend the wonderful n charismatic Roger Moore. RIP."
-Vijay Amritraj

"I am devastated to learn of Roger Moore’s passing. The first leading role I ever had as a Bond girl was such a new and frightening world and Roger held my hand and guided me through every process. He taught me about work ethic and humility. He was so funny, kind and thoughtful to everyone around him and in that Roger taught me what a movie star really was and should be. Through his lifelong work with UNICEF he showed me the true meaning of being a humanitarian and giving back. He was my Bond."
-Jane Seymour

"My Bond is gone, I am filled with great sadness. Roger was the epitome of Bond, witty, sophisticated, elegant, funny. RIP"
-Britt Ekland

"So sorry to hear about Roger's passing today. We had a lot of fun filming A View To A Kill together. He always had a joke to tell, and was a pleasure to work with, he was a wonderful guy"
-Tanya Roberts

"I am devastated today at loosing one of my oldest and closest friends Roger Moore, my world will never be the same again."
-Michael Caine

Comments

• MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Such very sad news. The world has lost a Bond and an icon.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Very sad news. I am currently sat at work trying not to tear up. Sir Roger is a hero of mine and he always will be. I am gutted to be reading this.

RIP Sir, you will be truly missed.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Shit
    what a terrible day all round!
    I am in complete shock here,i actually feel faint and sick.
    Fuck me I don't believe this.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Oh no. I have always feared this day would come. We have lost a beautiful human being.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm devastated. Not sure what to say.

I knew this day would come at some point, and I had prepared myself for it, but it's still extremely painful to hear the news.

All I can say now is RIP Sir Rog. Thank you for everything. My childhood hero and a true gentleman of the highest order.

My heartfelt condolences and well wishes to his family.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I cannot find words to describe this. My hero...has left us. :(
    Very likeable and seemingly all round good egg. He had a unique take on bond and came across as a gentleman. 89 is a good batting average. A good life well lived.
  • zb007zb007 UK
    Very sad news RIP Sir Roger
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    Very sad news. I am currently sat at work trying not to tear up. Sir Roger is a hero of mine and he always will be. I am gutted to be reading this.

RIP Sir, you will be truly missed.

Me too. Horrible news... Speechless really... RIP Sir.
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    Truly, no words.

The greatest man, the greatest gentleman. We were blessed to have such a shining example in our lives.

Rest in peace, Sir Roger. You will be truly missed.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    So gutted, people are being very careful around me at work as they know my feelings on Sir Rog.

I shall throw on Moonraker tonight, as that is the movie that made me a fan of himself, and of Bond.
    RIP Sir Roger and thanks for all the wonderful entertainment and memories.
    RIP Sir Roger. A great ambassador for Bond, The Saint and so many more great TV roles.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    No no no no no no no no no

I feel like I've lost a great uncle. Jeez. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and loved ones.

Sir Roger was the quintessential gentleman. A true class act that forever stayed humble. God bless you, sir. You live on in all our hearts. Here's to raising a glass and an eyebrow to you.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Utterly heartbroken.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Thank you for the memories Sir Roger. Your legacy will literally live on forever.
    And I thought the day could not get any worse.
  • mdo007mdo007 Katy, Texas
    Oh my goodness, I just got the news just a few minutes ago. Rest in peace Sir Roger!!! I'm also heartbroken.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I know i've never been the biggest fan of his, but this is still devastating to hear. I'm trying to wrap my head around this happening to a Bond actor.
    Sad news. He always came across as the perfect gentleman with a brilliant sense of humour.
    Wow.
    I´m usually pretty impartial to the passing of a person I haven´t met personally.
    But this news makes me want to cry.

R.I.P. Sir Rog. The world is a darker place without you.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    My heart goes out to his family and to you - my fellow Bond fans. Raising a glass and an eyebrow to Sir Roger Moore - James Bond 007. Thank you for everything.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I know i've never been the biggest fan of his, but this is still devastating to hear. I'm trying to wrap my head around this happening to a Bond actor.

I have always joked that playing James Bond is a guarantee of eternal life. Somehow I thought Sir Roger would get close to the ton.
    This,after Manchester last night,is just another knife wound in my country at the moment.

And in me as well,i genuinely cant believe he has gone.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Not my favourite Bond, but a great ambassador for Bond and all his charity work.
    R.I.P.
  • GBFGBF
    RIP Sir Roger,

you will always live on in our memories as the likeable gentleman and as the legendary James Bond on the TV screen.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Just woke up to this, don't even know what to say right now. Breaks my heart.
    As with others, struggling to find the right words but, if you wanted someone who personified all of the best things about our country, then surely Sir Roger Moore is a great example. Confident but self effacing, classy but not a snob, tallented but modest....just a national treasure. You think these wonderful people will be around forever...and then they are gone.
This discussion has been closed.