I've never noticed that before...

Comments

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 12,914
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
    Blue.

No--yellow!
  • TripAces wrote: »
    I just noticed this:

In YOLT, when Bond encounters Blofeld, the cat jumps from Blofeld's arms and coils itself around a henchman's legs. We cut to close-up of Bond and then back to the long shot: the cat is suddenly gone.

Yeah, that cat was a real riot. I wonder what it must've been thinking, with all those explosions and smoke wafting through the set, with all the shaking and sparks around it.

The poor thing was probably terrified!

Yes, Donald Pleasance never fully recovered from the experience. Hence the stilted delivery and vacant-eyed performances that defined the rest of his career.

@Some_Kind_Of_Hero, WAIT. So you mean to say that while playing Dr. Loomis in the Halloween films, the fear and dread Pleasence exuded wasn't derived from his pure talent and connection to the script's material, but by his flashbacks dealing with that hair-trigger cat?

woah.gif

This changes everything, and the news has resulted in two separate time periods in my life. The time before I knew the truth of Pleasence's acting, and the time after I knew the truth. Everything has changed utterly, a terrible beauty is born.

• slow clap
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    To me the joke was obvious the first time round and has nothing to do wih beeing 'male superior' or whatnot. He obviously didn't like her to bring the chello 'why didn't you learn the violin?'. But when he says he's glad he insisted to bring the chello he's joking that he foresaw their getaway this way, which he obviously didn't. It's like Hannibal's 'I love it when a plan comes together'. Her facial expression i.i.r.c. is one of 'eh?'. So she's the one not getting the British humour.

And @josiah @Thunders was joking, that's his sense of humour, whcih I think you just don't share. @Thunders never makes personal attacks. He's too full of himself to give that much attention to others. ;-) (yes, that's a joke, sorry @thunders!)
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Isn't it strange that all of Bond's BMW's as well as his Aston Martin from CR and QOS are left hand-drive? I would assume the British Secret Service would hand out right hand-driven cars to their British agents.
    No, it makes perfect sense, since Bond is using these cars overwhelmingly in countries where people drive on the right-hand side of the road...apart from the fact that an Aston for Iceland and a Z8 for Azerbaidjan are stupid ideas in the first place. The DBS in CR has a "Montenegro" registration, and the 750i in TND a German one. With right-hand steering they would stick out like sore thumbs.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    The 750 even has a German accent. Try and sell that in Britain! ;-)
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    My 330d has a Bavarian accent (really!). Try and sell that in Northern Germany.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Bavarian is impossible to understand.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    My 330d has a Bavarian accent (really!). Try and sell that in Northern Germany.
    I wonder what accent the corresponding Mercedes-Benz model speaks with.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Let's get back to the threads original intent. Please. :)
    In OHMSS, Bond and Tracy are cutting the wedding cake, and all their close friends and family are clapping enthusiastically. Then the film cuts to Draco's henchmen, and they give Bond the slow clap.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I don't think the henchmen are used to polite social functions.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    There's a bottle of jenever on Tiffany Case's drinks tray, which is a nice "look, we're in Holland!" touch.

(Jenever is my signature weird, fussy drink, because every secret agent needs one of those.)
  • Agent_99 wrote: »
    There's a bottle of jenever on Tiffany Case's drinks tray, which is a nice "look, we're in Holland!" touch.

(Jenever is my signature weird, fussy drink, because every secret agent needs one of those.)

I never noticed that either! Yes, a very local touch. Jenever is a lovely, fragrant liquor (an ancestor of gin for any gin fans out there). I don't drink it as often as I should. You've just inspired me to whip up a Jenever Old-Fashioned: Jenever, maple syrup, Angostura bitters on ice. Good stuff.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Now I can say I've driven someone to drink :) Cheers!
  • Haha, indeed!
    Watched Thunderball again recently and noticed that Philip Stone, who's been in a couple of Kubrick films, was the bald-headed SPECTRE guy in one of the chairs in the boardroom scene.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    YOLT marks the first time Bond is seen in bed with a woman who is not white. The film was released about the same time that the Loving v Virginia case was ruled upon by the SCOTUS, making laws against interracial marriage unconstitutional.
    TripAces wrote: »
    YOLT marks the first time Bond is seen in bed with a woman who is not white.
    Doesn't yellow-faced Miss Taro qualify?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    TripAces wrote: »
    YOLT marks the first time Bond is seen in bed with a woman who is not white.
    Doesn't yellow-faced Miss Taro qualify?

She wasn't Asian. British actress born in Kenya.
    Well, she pretended to be Asian. Wasn't that enough? What if they had shown a love scene between a Jazz Singer type blackface person and a purely white woman?
    Well, she pretended to be Asian. Wasn't that enough? What if they had shown a love scene between a Jazz Singer type blackface person and a purely white woman?

It still doesn't make her Asian, which was the qualification that @TripAces mentioned. She was likely cast in the role due to her exotic looks, of sorts.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Doesn't count. It's like how we can pretend GF was shot in Kentucky, but we'd just be lying to ourselves.
    Yes, I just don't see any sense in making a difference between implying sex between a white man and a real Asian on the one hand and between a white man and a fake Asian on the other hand. But then, racism is not meant to make sense.
    Yes, I just don't see any sense in making a difference between implying sex between a white man and a real Asian on the one hand and between a white man and a fake Asian on the other hand. But then, racism is not meant to make sense.

What racism?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    To this day I thought she was Chinese. I've just learned something.

Interesting thing to have noticed about Ling, but Taro will always be the first Asian conquest on screen for me. It's the thought that counts and all that jazz.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

What racism?
    The racism of banning showing relations between "white" and so-called yellow, black, brown, what have you persons. I don't see how this cannot be racist.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

What racism?
    The racism of banning showing relations between "white" and so-called yellow, black, brown, what have you persons. I don't see how this cannot be racist.

It is, I misconstrued your earlier post.
    OK, I likewise thought you were moving in the opposite direction, and I'm glad we don't have to turn this into a dispute.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    In Fleming's Dr No, his cronies were of Chinese-Negro descent - "chigroes".