Worst Bond song

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    JR_747 wrote:
    As echo started this thread about "worst song on a Bond soundtrack", it's not necessarily about title songs only. Therefore I would like to come up with "Do you know how christmas trees are grown" from the OHMSS soundtrack: it's sooo annoying! And even worse, it's so catchy that I can't get it out of my mind once I've listened to it! %-(

Do you know how christmas tree's are grown stand alone is maybe overly sweet. though when played during certain scene, where blofelds henchman are trying to kill bond in the movie, the music is at odds with the action, to me it create more tension.

Musical irony can indeed be very powerful. When Halloween II and Halloween H2O open on Mr Sandman, I always smile. In OHMSS, DYKHCTAG loses nothing of its power when Spectre is in pursuit of Bond. Always fun to watch.

DarthDimi wrote:
    Zekidk wrote:
    Worst theme song? IMO, Lulu with TMWTGG

I love this song! It's energetic, the lyrics are a lot of fun, it has a great composition which is extended well in the rest of the score and the choice of instruments is inspiring.

Compared to the likes of AWTD, DAD or TND, this piece of music is brilliant, at least IMO.
    It's nice to see someone else agrees with me. TMWTGG's theme is severely underrated.
    Not merely the song I dare say. I also appreciate Barry's score effort for which, it should be said, he had almost no time. Helps the film a lot. While IMO the film itself is fundamentally flawed, the score is not. It may be a bit simple, but it's not bad.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 401
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Not merely the song I dare say. I also appreciate Barry's score effort for which, it should be said, he had almost no time.
    What was the reason TMWTGG was filmed right after LALD? was EON planning to make a Bond film every year, like how EON did for most of the 1960's, or was there another reason I don't know of?

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited January 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Dr_Metz wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Not merely the song I dare say. I also appreciate Barry's score effort for which, it should be said, he had almost no time.
    What was the reason TMWTGG was filmed right after LALD? was EON planning to make a Bond film every year, like how EON did for most of the 1960's, or was there another reason I don't know of?

I think it was due to Moore being a hit therefore wanting to get another out ASAP. In this case, a year and a half later.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    There are not many ways to get me to lose my temper, let allone get agressive. There are however three songs that provoke increadable agression and anger in me. Ome of them is AWTD.
    Another is from Blurgh, no, Bjork, and then there's one Cristmas song, which is such an earworm (and played so often around Christmas) I won't repeat the title out of self-preservation.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Dr_Metz wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

I think it was due to Moore being a hit therefore wanting to get another out ASAP. In this case, a year and a half later.

Exactly. This is the same reason they rushed QoS out. Then the writers' strike happened.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited January 2012 Posts: 13,350
    echo wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Dr_Metz wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

Exactly. This is the same reason they rushed QoS out. Then the writers' strike happened.

The orginal plan was a year and a half for that one as well. Madness.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    I can give AWTD a pass. It's not very good, actually, it's pretty lame and I'm still struggling to understand how that pair could actually produce something so disappointing, I can only assume they only had 30 minutes to do so, or well, that David Arnold made all the decisions.

Now DAD, forget that the lyrics may or may not makes some sense. The song's terrible beat and techno horsedong makes it so bad that it's worse than Arnold's score, and that fits the movie brilliantly. Last time I watched DAD, for a marathon, I had to mute it.
  • TreefingersTreefingers Isthmus City, Republic of Isthmus
    On regards to the main themes, to me the worst one is TMWTGG, one of Barry's few musical mistakes.

With the secondary songs I'd say Only Myself To Blame (I like Scott Walker, but i don't like the way he sings in recent recordings, also the song is somewhat dull) and Make It Last All Night (like another poster said its too repetitive).

Furthermore, Surrender used to make me cringe, but i think it's grown on me a bit.
  • Just going away from main Bond intros, can I add Eric Serra's Exprience of Love and KD lang's Surrender were pretty bad, If You Asked Me To by Patti Labelle, maybe there once was a time I enjoyed it but just recently I tend to skip the very end of License to Kill, it's not that bad, but not that good either, I'd rather of had Gladys Knight do the end bit even in retrospect
    Just going away from main Bond intros, can I add Eric Serra's Exprience of Love and KD lang's Surrender were pretty bad, t

I cant remember 'Experience of Love' but if it is anything like the soft-rock they stick at the end of alot of Brosnan pics I am not surprised.

However,

KD Langs 'Surrender' is the undiscovered treasure of the Bond genre. This big ballsy belt of a song shivers my timbers and it is delivered with gusto and panache. Its a classic Bond diva song and as any Bond fan would tell you should have been the title song.

Back in 1997 as the light faded on Michelle and Pierces final scene and I was wistfully saying "that wernt that good" to myself.

I was stopped in my tracks by this big song starting up as I was leaving the auditorium. That and Dr Kaufman were the only things that really worked for me.

• EmilioEmilio Palmyra, Nassau
    Another way to die.....so below expectation...
    The Experience of Love isn't the worst Bond song. It's just very...meh!

If it didn't come at the end of a great film it would be forgettable

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Luds wrote:
    Now DAD, forget that the lyrics may or may not makes some sense. The song's terrible beat and techno horsedong makes it so bad that it's worse than Arnold's score, and that fits the movie brilliantly. Last time I watched DAD, for a marathon, I had to mute it.

IMO if you take out the singing, DAD's theme song is pretty darn good.

AWTD, on the other hand, is simply horrible.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 192

Serious?! @-)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2012 Posts: 15,686
    I was thinking of the film version of the theme... take out the singing of that version and i'd like the song. the version you posted is pretty horrible, yes.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    edited January 2012 Posts: 7,854

Yes. The singing and the utterly useless scorpions. They're all over that title sequence and what happens with them? A mention in the examination sequence. At least all the other torture scenes are shown.

And I do like AWTD, but hate QoS title sequence.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I don't mind the DAD song :\"> Up until the wacky noises at 1.00 I thought it was perfectly fine.

I clearly have no taste.
  • Believe it or not, I'm not really a fan of LTK
    jackdagger wrote:
    For Your Eyes Only was pretty terrible. The lyrics, paired with the singer, makes it sound like it's the theme song to a soap opera.

I feel exactly the same way-- the Blondie one would have been WAY better
  • DarthDimi wrote:
    Jthomason1 wrote:
    Wat about NSNA? LOL

I don't know. Tell us, please. It's important to post something that others can then reply to.
    Never Say Never Again, asshole.
    Jthomason1 wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Jthomason1 wrote:
    Wat about NSNA? LOL

I don't know. Tell us, please. It's important to post something that others can then reply to.

Firstly, @Jthomason1, my post was meant to point out that it's not enough to merely mention a song; it could be more interesting to actually explain why you think this is the worst. There's no need to resort to insults.

Secondly, out language policy clearly prohibits the use of insulting words and/or expressions.
    The problem with Only Myself To Blame from TWINE is that it isn't featured in the film. I think it's only been added to the album as an extra to make up for the rest of the dross that dares call itself a musical score, therefore I don't have a problem with it.

What I do have a problem with are the songs that were included. The worst being Experience of Love sung by Eric Serra. Dreadful dreary dirge.

As for main title songs there hasn't been a good one since GE sung by Tina Turner. The so-called modern songs have been terrible with the rot starting with Tomorrow Never Dies - Sheryl Crow. At times it sounds quite Parisian (Don't know why as it's not set in France) and at other times it sounds like a 60's spaghetti spy spoof.

Most people seem to think John Barry had an off-day with TMWTGG but I don't mind this so much when we make comparisons to the later music. Personally, the one Barry song I hate the most is All Time High from Octopussy. But I'll take that one off-day over the modern dross.
    Luds wrote:

I say it's like the thunderbirds movie. Decent but compared to what's before it.....
    bondsum wrote:
    The problem with Only Myself To Blame from TWINE is that it isn't featured in the film.

If I remember correctly, it was purposely left out--at the last minute?--because it was so bad. Before then we had gotten songs over the end credits but this time we got the Bond theme.
  • I don't believe I've even heard this particular piece of music, how bad was it really, what I mean is they gave us some pretty horrendous trash for one or two Bond films after that, so why weren't they omitted? TWINE was good enough as it was, whether this OMTB was fitting or otherwise, I'm content to let it stand with the Garbage main intro and James Bond track on the closing credits
  • Good God, that was awful. I'd rather listen to The Archies or something :-w

No wonder they left it out
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Wort song? hm.. well there is not a worst song for me but Die Another Day it's horrible, although the movie it's a VERY-SMALL bit better than that song. I don't like Madonna, if she dies, the world wouldn't miss her so much. Her era has gone since the late 80's, that's why the song got horrible.
    And that was just on the Brosnan Era. Tragic.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Jthomason1 wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Jthomason1 wrote:
    Wat about NSNA? LOL
    There's no need to resort to insults.
    Secondly, out language policy clearly prohibits the use of insulting words and/or expressions.

[Off-Topic] I know this is not the place, and that i'm not a mod, but...
    @Jthomason1 Please, be educated, and have some respect. Read the rules next time.
    Oh, and be careful. @DarthDimi is a moderator over here.

(i just hate ppl that loses respect for someone.)

• I agree that Jthomason was maybe out of line but in his defense he was very new here and I'm guessing didn't know who was who, we're all here to learn, but even so Yes it was uncalled for

Madonna should of done a tune when Dalton was Bond and we may have been pleasantly surprised with the results, it's only with the more recent Disco efforts of her work she has lost her way, she did used to be a good artist believe it or not