Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Am I the only one who finds the Christie stories boring?

No, I'm with you, @Thunderfinger. I love detective stories more than most anything, but if the stories aren't centered around interesting characters, I can't be bothered. It's why I love any adaptions of Sherlock Holmes, or more modern offshoots like The Mentalist, Monk, Luther, Jack Taylor, True Detective etc., and why I can't stand Law & Order, CSI and more mainstream shows, where the characters don't stand out and the cases are the only thing keeping you glued. I like mysteries for the cases, but as with everything I stay for the characters and their journey. I can't be bothered to watch a police or detective show if all they have to offer are cases, no matter how clever they are; the characters are the heart of everything. The protagonists I favor, as in the programs above, are all unique, but are bound by a certain bohemianism that gives them an outsider feeling. They stick out in their world, and are vibrant in a way that those surrounding them aren't through either intellect, vice, eccentricity or all of the above. I don't have time for normies in detective books and shows.

I respect Christie, but the likes of Marple can't really get me at all interested. At the end of the day, the notion of a geriatric lady solving cases when she looks like she should be knitting me a sweater instead is too big a logical gap to suspend my disbelief over. I've never really gotten into Poirot, but I'll try one day. It's just one of those things where, after you read a Doyle Holmes story, you are wanting for nothing else. Sort of like how Fleming arrived off the back of grandaddies like Grahame Greene to create an icon in Bond, Doyle can off the back of Poe and made what could be the most well known figure in all of literature. In many ways, it's easy to see why Bond owns the spy genre, and Holmes the mystery genre.
  • cant wait
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Brian De Palma starts shooting Domino this summer.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Brian De Palma starts shooting Domino this summer.

Posted that on the last page. It sounds good but I wonder if he's still got the magic to deliver a good film. The latest one I saw was 'The Black Dahlia,' it was forgettable.
    I haven t seen that, and sorry I missed your post.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 @bondjames @MajorDSmythe @DarthDimi @doubleoego @ClarkDevlin @Creasy47

I didn't know the film existed before I checked the trailer a few minutes ago, but I didn't even need to watch the full video to know I'll be there on opening day

First image and synopsis for Gareth Evans' 'Apostle':

http://collider.com/apostle-movie-image-synopsis/#gareth-evans
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited May 2017 Posts: 7,969
    interesting premise:

And this one:

Love how Willem Dafoe looks like Peter O´Toole on that Orient Express pic!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I really want Gareth Evans to direct a Bond film. It would be killer.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2017 Posts: 15,686
    @doubleoego I'd really enjoy (but it'll never happen) a South Korean action director making a Bond film. I mean, when you think about it, nearly all South Korean action flicks have a lead actor in super stylish suits. Has Lee Byung-Hun ever looked anything less than insanely stylish in any film in did in his own country?
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 4,813
    Wow... I was so interested in the 3D Terminator 2 that's coming out soon, but now I'm downright excited!!
    Did you know it's a 'Star Wars Special Edition' of sorts-- meaning they've gone back and fixed things? This was news to me.
    Check this out:

Stuntmans mask removed- now it's Arnold!!

18320595_1483479061704859_1402111721851711503_o.png.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=011046e5191224bae53089a866f38574&oe=5983D613

As long as they're fixing stuff, I certainly hope they fix the horrible rear projection during the car ride, after the Pescadero Hospital escape. You know what part I'm talking about...
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 @bondjames @MajorDSmythe @DarthDimi @doubleoego @ClarkDevlin @Creasy47

While filming 'Hard Powder'...

Hearing that the Hollywood star was in town shooting his latest film, a Vancouver restaurant put out a sign saying "Liam Neeson eats here for free" in the hope that he would stop by.

And much to the surprise of staff at the Big Star Sandwich Company, the A-list actor did just that.

"Where is my free sandwich?" the actor reportedly growled after using lines from one of his most famous films, Taken, to claim the meal.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/05/free-sandwich-liam-neeson-takes-vancouver-restaurant-offer/
    Wow... I was so interested in the 3D Terminator 2 that's coming out soon, but now I'm downright excited!!
    Did you know it's a 'Star Wars Special Edition' of sorts-- meaning they've gone back and fixed things? This was news to me.
    Check this out:

Stuntmans mask removed- now it's Arnold!!

18320595_1483479061704859_1402111721851711503_o.png.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=011046e5191224bae53089a866f38574&oe=5983D613

As long as they're fixing stuff, I certainly hope they fix the horrible rear projection during the car ride, after the Pescadero Hospital escape. You know what part I'm talking about...
    That gives me the idea that they could fix the back projection in the first Terminator. That always kind of takes me out of the experience.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    As long as they don't 'CGI' robot Arnie in their attempts to fix the original, I'll be ok.
    Maybe I will take my son to see this, if only for him to see T2 on the big screen. It really is something else. 3D that is added later is seldom any good.
    T2 is an absolutely incredible film. Definite top 10 of mine in the action genre, to this day.
    Cameron pushed the limits with T2, as he later did with Avatar.
    I really hope 'Terminator 2' is getting this upscale remaster on blu-ray eventually. I saw the trailer for it yesterday, and the work they put into it makes it look like a brand new movie. Blows me away. Happy to see some alteration with the motorcycle stuntman, it is a bit jarring in a few of the shots in the movie.
    @doubleoego I'd really enjoy (but it'll never happen) a South Korean action director making a Bond film. I mean, when you think about it, nearly all South Korean action flicks have a lead actor in super stylish suits. Has Lee Byung-Hun ever looked anything less than insanely stylish in any film in did in his own country?

I here you, man. Those guys know how to have sharp dressed protagonists do awesome things in awesome films and without mammoth sized budgets.
    Just seeing Syncopy flash across the screen brings a smile to my face after the discussion on another thread recently.

The Master returns. Bloody superb stuff. All the pretenders take note. This is how it's done.

Zimmer on form again too..
    edited May 2017 Posts: 11,139
    That trailer was really good. Nolan's going to knock this out of the park. The cinematography looks absolutely lovely.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I'll be there day 1.
    There has always been some mysterious and quirky element to the Nolan films. I wonder if that is still the case with Dunkirk. If so, I have no idea what it could be about.
    The man just doesn´t like proper lighting.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Dunkirk looks immense in a crowded summer of comic book films and sequels this owns it for me.

That being said I look forward to War of the Planet Of The Apes and of course Baby Driver.

The return of Edgar Wright is always worth it despite his previous effort ( World's End ) being his worst.
    It's happening!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Badass Galore!