The NHL Thread

Comments

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    edited April 2017 Posts: 4,382
    Anaheim and Pittsburgh

For the next round.

St. Louis in 6.
    Anaheim in 7

Rangers in 5
    Penguins in 7
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Pens vs... Anaheim (???)
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 12,243
    I think the Stanley Cup finals will be Penguins-Blues or Penguins-Ducks. For now, picking Blues, Ducks, Rangers, and Penguins to advance.
  • TheSharkFromJawsTheSharkFromJaws Amity Island Waters
    Anaheim and Pittsburgh

For the next round.

St. Louis in 6.
    Anaheim in 7

Rangers in 5
    Penguins in 7

I can get behind this.

Though as a Pens fan, the Caps scare me. They didn't look great against the Leafs, but there's a lot of fire in them to win against the very team they're so desperate to beat. With the Pens lacking on defense and with Flower instead of Murray in net, the Caps could very easily put them on their heels.

That said, I still expect the Pens to just get by them in 6 or (probably) 7. The Caps might have had their confidence shaken by barely getting by the Leafs while the Pens rolled over the Jackets.
    Anaheim and Pittsburgh

For the next round.

St. Louis in 6.
    Anaheim in 7

Rangers in 5
    Penguins in 7

Good picks here. Agree with all the results; I'll say the Blues-Preds series goes to 7, and both the Ducks-Oilers and Rangers-Senators series will be 6 games long.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm guessing Pens/Ducks or Pens/Oilers.

@TheSharkFromJaws, I was a bit worried, as well, but the Pens made quick work of the Blue Jackets, whereas the Caps struggled with a lesser team, so I don't see the Pens having too hard a time getting the win.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'm guessing Pens/Ducks or Pens/Oilers.

@TheSharkFromJaws, I was a bit worried, as well, but the Pens made quick work of the Blue Jackets, whereas the Caps struggled with a lesser team, so I don't see the Pens having too hard a time getting the win.

Happend last season too with Washington. Was supposed to roll right over the flyers and got pushed to 6. Same scenario this season.
    Didn't even realize the first games of round two were on tonight, was so focused on the Pens/Caps game tomorrow. If I had nothing going on tomorrow I would easily stay up for the Ducks/Oilers game.
  • A hockey thread? Don't mind if I join!

I immigrated to Canada 20 years ago and have been a Leafs fan since, so was of course ecstatic about the team's performance this year. Not even too disappointed about the loss to WSH as the Caps happen to be my 2nd favourite team. The Pens are always a likeable team, but enough is enough. It's time for the Caps to win their first Cup. And I'm hoping for STL to come out of the West. Russian-less teams like NSH, ANA, and OTT get no sympathies from me!!
    Missed the beginning of the second period of the Preds/Blues game, didn't even see who was stretchered off the ice. What happened?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Just catching up myself, @Creasy, reading who won and lost... I'm thinking this Edmonton team could be the dark horse in the West. They soundly defeated Anaheim 5-3... If their goaltending can hold up, this could be a great series...

I'm excited for the Pens/Washington series... I think it has potential to be very nasty. Every inch of ice will be a battle zone.

A hockey thread? Don't mind if I join!

I immigrated to Canada 20 years ago and have been a Leafs fan since, so was of course ecstatic about the team's performance this year. Not even too disappointed about the loss to WSH as the Caps happen to be my 2nd favourite team. The Pens are always a likeable team, but enough is enough. It's time for the Caps to win their first Cup. And I'm hoping for STL to come out of the West. Russian-less teams like NSH, ANA, and OTT get no sympathies from me!!

You mean teams with no Russians on them?
  • A hockey thread? Don't mind if I join!

You mean teams with no Russians on them?

Precisely!
    Oilers are up 2-0 and are heading back home. Could be a quick series? Definitely surprising for them to jump ahead after Anaheim was rolling, but those young guys got some heart, they could be serious contenders.

Here's to hoping the Pens jump to 2-0 on the Caps tonight before heading back to Pittsburgh. It might make my anxiety a little bit easier to handle watching the games.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Good on Edmonton; I'm in the east, so staying up and watching these games is impossible for me... Hope they can represent Canada!

I've been saying it all along, and sticking with it: Pens will repeat as Champs!
    I'm hoping the Pens can crush the Caps tonight, as well, and take that lovely 2-0 lead back to Pittsburgh for another two games on home ice.
    Are the Caps ever going to break through?
    Kessel sniping as usual. The man is incredible.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I forgot Ottawa was in the play-offs (as did some in Ottawa it seems from the attendance), but they're putting on a show and knee-capping the Rangers.

Crosby is a man possessed right now: did you see how he slipped the puck in between his legs, drew Ovie and two D over to him, leaving Kessel open... Crosby is the best in the NHL.
    peter wrote: »
    I forgot Ottawa was in the play-offs (as did some in Ottawa it seems from the attendance), but they're putting on a show and knee-capping the Rangers.

Crosby is a man possessed right now: did you see how he slipped the puck in between his legs, drew Ovie and two D over to him, leaving Kessel open... Crosby is the best in the NHL.

That was a stellar play, made even better by Crosby blowing past Ovi, just to watch the later slowly skate over to (and inevitably watch) Kessel rip that shot in.

Just like I hoped, 2-0 lead heading back to Pittsburgh. Love it.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 127
    peter wrote: »

I've been watching Crosby since he broke into the NHL and he still never fails to amaze me. Everything he does just looks so effortless. Forget best in the NHL now, he's one of the all time greats.

I'm probably biased, of course, being a spoiled Pittsburgher who also got the opportunity to grow up watching Lemieux and Jagr in their primes, but I have no problem putting Crosby up there with those guys. And Crosby still has more to go.

Outside of my Pittsburgh bubble, I've actually been really impressed with McDavid so far. I see a lot of Crosby in him. Look forward to seeing how he develops.

EDIT: Malkin's a phenomenal player, too. I think he doesn't get quite the attention he deserves because he's been on the same team as Crosby his whole career (unless Crosby's injured and Malkin just goes off like he has a couple times).
    So far, besides the Capitals choking again, the playoffs have been very unpredictable so far for me. I'd be really surprised though if the Pens didn't reach the Cup again. I think they will repeat - but with the way these playoffs have gone, no way to know for sure.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @TheSharkFromJaws: I agree, Sid is one of the all time greats, and yes, you've been blessed in Pittsburgh with elite players.

If Malkin was on any other team, the guy would be a mega-star; that's a great problem to have as players and an organization.

I haven't yet warmed to McDavid-- no doubting he will be one of the greats as well (no one has the kinda speed he's showing, and he's years from peaking); but I immediately was drawn to Sid, as I am to Mathews here in Toronto, as I was to Toews in Chicago... There's just something about these leaders I immediately responded to.

Unbelievable talent aside, I still don't see McDavid as "that" kinda leader yet.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    So far, besides the Capitals choking again, the playoffs have been very unpredictable so far for me. I'd be really surprised though if the Pens didn't reach the Cup again. I think they will repeat - but with the way these playoffs have gone, no way to know for sure.

Agreed. I'm thinking/hoping the Pens have it, but I won't be surprised if Edmonton or Nashville managed to win the Stanley Cup this year. Hopefully I'm wrong on that end.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 4,622
    Caps Penguins game 5 should be real Interesting.
    Crosby looks like he'll be back, as he was taking full practice today
    And Ovie was dropped to 3rd line with Lars Eller and Tom Wilson. Burakovsky to top lin with Nicklas Backstrom and TJ Oshie.
    Caps on home ice facing must win. Penguins looking to avenge Syd, and put the Caps away.
    Could be epic.
    After watching the entire Leafs Caps series, I am suddenly very knowledgeable on Caps lineup, top to bottom.
    Still can't figure out how they lose games.
    In playoffs, the other teams are real good too I guess.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    In playoff hockey, it's the intangible qualities that win; usually it comes from the leaders on the team.
    The only genuine leader I see on the Caps is Justin Williams.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 4,622
    Ovie is a little past prime.
    There is no obvious go-to leader on that team in prominent role.

Penguins do look like the team to beat.
    Ducks could be tough though.
    That would be a helluva final. Penguins vs Ducks.
    Happy that Crosby and Sheary are back tonight. This is going to be a great game between the Pens and Caps.
    Glad to see the Senators won. I hope they can finish the job. I think the Pens close out the Caps tonight.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Glad to see the Senators won. I hope they can finish the job. I think the Pens close out the Caps tonight.

I'm very happy they did. Last I saw, I think the Rangers were up 2-1, maybe. Just one more win for them, too.