'The Sweeney' TV Series - The British Flying Squad.

edited May 2017 in General Movies & TV Posts: 19,339
This is the last of my 60/70's fetish,on ITV4 at the moment,and still hard hitting to this day.

I presume our police are still like this ,just not so obvious,due to PC situations.

John Thaw and Dennis Waterman...real actors,portraying real men....comment and discuss..

Comments

Seminal

The best police to show ever
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    A few months back, I watched all of the episodes. Not only is it one of the best British tv series, but also it makes all other police shows looks like playground antics.

And if anyone thinks otherwise, shut it slag!
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Where can an American watch it?
    I dont know,but this is a REALLY hard British police drama,showing how we used to be ,tough as s**t..can anyone advise @PropertyOfALady where to view it ? ..Youtube maybe ?
    Shut it!
    Nick 'im....
    Funny how the missus always looks the bleeding same...
    hahaha you know your Sweeney @vzok gal !!
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Just watched the PTS of an episode called 'Stoppo Driver' ,and the car chase puts a hell of a lot of chases in films to shame...absolutely brilliant chase,and filmed and edited perfectly...just WOW !!!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    What did you think of the latest Sweeney movie with Ray Winston ?
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Winston was good,i knew he would make a good Regan (I'm sure the late great John Thaw would have approved),but that rapper as George AND making George the total opposite to how Dennis played him was a joke.

A wasted opportunity.

If they do a sequel ,then bring Ray back but re-cast George and play him as Dennis Waterman played him..i mean ,Dennis is still alive so you have 1st hand material,and guidance from the man himself !!!
    I still​ haven't found this.
    Found what ?
    Like you @barryt007 I too enjoy Winston in everthing but I think it's because he
    Played a real scumbag in " Harry Brown" that I hated "PlanB" as George, and found
    His character totally unlikeable.
    Thats true...i knew i saw him somewhere else,and that was it !!

He doesnt look,act,speak like a member of the Sweeney,and there is no way that the John Thaw Regan would put up with a 'tit' like that as his partner..
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Found what ?

The TV series.
    Are you in the UK ?
    No, sadly not! I'm a Yank, but British at heart.
    hahaha try 'You Tube'...you will find it on there matey...you might need a 'Cockney slang dictionary' for some of the words but if you are stuck just ask me in here and i will let you know what they mean .

Its a hard hitting drama,like 'the Professionals' and its like a history lesson,showing how London used to look like in 1974-1975...great stuff !
    Nice one @Thunderpussy....there you go @PropertyOfALady !!
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    Although I remember it from first time around, I have only just started watching the show. Sorry to burst bubbles, but It is merely an exaggeration of how things were. Firearms carried on a routine basis? No. 'Robust' attitudes towards villains? Yes, on occasion. Regular car chases? That's for the Traffic lads.
    Things changed with the introduction of PACE, before then the system was open to abuse by those who didn't play fair. However, even now, it is far from watertight.

Although it possesses a good entertainment factor, 'The Sweeney' shouldn't be looked upon for its historical accuracy.

The best (most realistic) UK cop show I saw, was a BBC series called 'Cops' (or 'The Cops'). I think it was shown sometime in the early 1990s. I cannot find any examples of it to show here.
    Perhaps, if I saw it again, I might think that was crap, but at the time it was a good and fairly accurate portrayal of policing.
    stag wrote: »
    Although I remember it from first time around, I have only just started watching the show. Sorry to burst bubbles, but It is merely an exaggeration of how things were. Firearms carried on a routine basis? No. 'Robust' attitudes towards villains? Yes, on occasion. Regular car chases? That's for the Traffic lads.
    Things changed with the introduction of PACE, before then the system was open to abuse by those who didn't play fair. However, even now, it is far from watertight.

Although it possesses a good entertainment factor, 'The Sweeney' shouldn't be looked upon for its historical accuracy.

The best (most realistic) UK cop show I saw, was a BBC series called 'Cops' (or 'The Cops'). I think it was shown sometime in the early 1990s. I cannot find any examples of it to show here.
    Perhaps, if I saw it again, I might think that was crap, but at the time it was a good and fairly accurate portrayal of policing.

The historical aspect I was talking about was London and the scenery and way of life in 1975 that the series shows,not the Flying Squad itself...

• stagstag In the thick of it!
    Well I do like watching shows set in that era as it is of my day. The sad thing is I can name all the different types of cars featured.
    Sad ? thats impressive @stag ....hats off to you..i was 5 so i cant remember them all but i do recall seeing them and being in some..
    Jack Regan was a badass Brittish TV at that point did not hold back.
    ITV could always kick arse...still can tbh....
    True ITV does gritty drama well
    barryt007 wrote: »
    ITV could always kick arse...still can tbh....

The whole series is on ITV4 every weekday...im loving it !!