007 Nightfire Appreciation

Comments

• I've been playing this game daily for the last 2-3 weeks after 10 years. It blows my mind how great it is - great music, multiplayer, single player, cheats, etc. Nightfire actually has replay value, which some Bond games don't (ex. Goldeneye 64).
    I really enjoyed Nightfire. Really well done. I hope the next game is in the same league. I do like Bloodstone. My 2 favorites
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    Still one of my favourite games ever, Bond or no Bond.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    The game is definitely a stunner.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 3,000
    Just heard that Nightfire: Source has been cancelled. However, the music lives on (video has some info as well).
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    It's been 15 years already, gentlemen. Did a homage composition 2 weeks ago, to celebrate that date.

e674e751058473.58e181d68df3b.jpg
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Beautiful! One of my fondest childhood memories!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    That's a stunning piece of art.
    Best Bond Game Ever!
    15 years. Christ.

They don't make them like this anymore. By far the best Bond game imo. GE N64 has aged really poorly. But everything people remember loving about that game is there in Nightfire, which has actually aged brilliantly.

I think what I love most about it is that, while it is a brilliant game (with big wide open memorable levels, lots of diversity, fun gadgets, all that cool stuff) it's the least "gamey" Bond game. The plot plays out just like a Bond film would. And the plot is actually quite good: the villain's scheme is actually better than a lot of what we've seen in the films (a nuclear monopoly is a much more interesting idea than another holding the world to ransom or giant space laser plot). I also remember it being quite well written and acted.

I need to play it again soon. Amazing game. The Austria castle level is just perfection: it's the only time a video game has really nailed it in terms of making me feel like James Bond.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    There is no way that it has been 15 years. I can remember seeing the preview in OPS2UK Magazine, then a few months later their review (they gave it 8/10). I can even remember waiting outside Electronics Boutique, for the shop to open. Still my favourite Bond game.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I remember it like it was yesterday.
    It was only yesterday...
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    I love nightfires multiplayer
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I enjoy NightFire, but in no way do I see it as better than GoldenEye. I still play both on occassion, but there are levels in NightFire that I find a chore to go through. The opening level was fantastic 15 years ago, and feels tired now.

That said, I'd still buy an HD remaster.
    I enjoy NightFire, but in no way do I see it as better than GoldenEye. I still play both on occassion, but there are levels in NightFire that I find a chore to go through. The opening level was fantastic 15 years ago, and feels tired now.

That said, I'd still buy an HD remaster.

I think GE is/was more groundbreaking (the strength of Nightfire is how it takes GE's formula and polishes it) but I've always preferred Nightfire for a couple of reasons. For a start I always prefer the original story Bond games. I don't just want the games to be playable Bond films, I want them to be new Bond films. Nightfire fits the bill and it's also a lot more cinematic than Goldeneye (and any other Bond game before it). It was the first time that I really felt like I was playing through a Bond film. Nightfire also has the benefit of being made on better technology: it still looks decent today, whereas GE unfortunately doesn't. It's not just the graphics either: the more time passes, and the more new consoles that come out, the more I hate the N64 controller. Nightfire is also a lot more cinematic in general (the gunbarrel, the cutscenes, etc) and it feels like there's a lot more variety. You're not just wandering around gunning people down. You're speeding through Paris in an Aston Martin, you're edging across a window ledge of a fortified mountain top Austrian castle, zip lining round a power plant, defusing nuclear warheads in space, battling ninjas in a sprawling but beautiful countryside Japanese estate, breaking into an office building and knocking out (but not killing) the guards. I haven't touched the game for years but I remember all of that plus more while in GE, I find it hard to remember any level that wasn't just killing loads of people (except the stuff like protecting Natalya). If it had the film regulars (Brosnan, Dench, Cleese) or went with an original take (I didn't like how we were still in the AUF universe but Q was different, Bond now had Brosnan's face, etc, it felt distracting), and some sort of hand to hand combat mechanic (although I do remember being able to punch guards to knock them out) then it'd be pretty much the perfect Bond game imo. As it stands, it comes very close.

Even the multiplayer, which was amazing for its time, was refined and perfected by Nightfire imo. I wish I could go back to 2002 and play it for the first time again. It really was something else. I remember it came out around the same time as DAD and at the time I was really grateful because it sort of helped me cope with the disappointment of that film: least I had the game.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Also, it was great to earn as much points as you could for each mission, so you were able to unlock classic characters from the franchise.

I remember how glad I was when I won Baron Samedi :D
    I thought the PC version of Nightfire was better then the console version.
    I'd say both the versions complete each other. Nightfire's Console version was a lot more ambitious, and dare I say the most ambitious Bond video game since GoldenEye 007 on the Nintendo 64. But, there are some elements in the PC version executed better, yet the game is clearly rushed beyond the first Austrian segment.
  • Mazouni wrote: »

I thought that PC version had better multiplayer representations of the classic levels. I loved played Fort Knox on the PC version.

But Nightfire is one of the greatest and overlooked shooter games. I prefer Agent Under Fire, but absolutely adore Nightfire. It's what introduced me to James Bond, before I saw the films.
    Mazouni wrote: »

I thought that PC version had better multiplayer representations of the classic levels. I loved played Fort Knox on the PC version.

But Nightfire is one of the greatest and overlooked shooter games. I prefer Agent Under Fire, but absolutely adore Nightfire. It's what introduced me to James Bond, before I saw the films.

I like a lot of the level on the PC version better and playing a keyboard and mouse feels a lot better then playing with a controller.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 235
    I'd say both the versions complete each other. Nightfire's Console version was a lot more ambitious, and dare I say the most ambitious Bond video game since GoldenEye 007 on the Nintendo 64. But, there are some elements in the PC version executed better, yet the game is clearly rushed beyond the first Austrian segment.

Only problem I have with console gaming is playing with a controller. Feels like I cant control my character however, keyboard and mouse far more superior.
    I'd say both the versions complete each other. Nightfire's Console version was a lot more ambitious, and dare I say the most ambitious Bond video game since GoldenEye 007 on the Nintendo 64. But, there are some elements in the PC version executed better, yet the game is clearly rushed beyond the first Austrian segment.[/quot
    Mazouni wrote: »

Only problem I have with console gaming is playing with a controller. Feels like I cant control my character however, keyboard and mouse far more superior.
    I can completely relate to that.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I loved the Vanquish sequence on the ice and since this came out right after DAD was fresh in our minds, I would play that level for hours.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Indeed! And I love how that level contained a secret race mode where you get to drive Dominique's red Shelby Cobra from the PTS level.
    Dominique getting kicked off the Phoenix Tower helipad, tho...
    Hated Drake thoroughly for killing her when I was a kid. Heck, I was eight years old.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Hated Drake thoroughly for killing her when I was a kid. Heck, I was eight years old.

yeah i remember, that was quite a shocking moment back then...
    and the following escape through Drakes building was one of my favorite parts on the PC version. Very intense. Reminded me a lot of Die Hard.
    00Agent wrote: »

and the following escape through Drakes building was one of my favorite parts on the PC version. Very intense. Reminded me a lot of Die Hard.
    @00Agent, when we get to the stairwell in the PC version, I climbed to the top floor just to get to Drake and kill him to avenge Dominique. I was pretty much bummed to find out the door was locked. :))
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    00Agent wrote: »

@00Agent, when we get to the stairwell in the PC version, I climbed to the top floor just to get to Drake and kill him to avenge Dominique. I was pretty much bummed to find out the door was locked. :))

haha thats a good idea though, i never thought of that.
    The stairwell did confused me a bit the first time around, i did not know which direction to go