The NHL Thread

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    exactly...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Close game so far, Andersen has made some incredible saves.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Both goalies have been awesome!!! Great game!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    that hurt
    peter wrote: »
    that hurt

Indeed. Rough watching such a close game, just for them to lose so shortly into OT. Oh well, the loss is irrelevant if they can take Game 6 and go into the final game all tied up.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    agreed @Creasy47; the Buds played a very good game, and the margin for error between these two teams is razor thin.

I believe the teams have the same amount of shots over five games, Washington has one more goal, Washington's PP has been beating our Leafs, but the leafs have more goals 5-5...!!!!!
    Has every game between the two been a one goal difference? I want to say almost all of the games have gone into overtime, which is why I don't want to count Toronto out just yet; most Caps fans felt they'd sweep them in four games, but each one has been dangerously close and they'll go on to at least six at most. They're still in the fight!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    yes @Creasy47 all games have been won by one; 4 out 5 went OT
  • peterpeter Toronto
    We hafta be-leaf (what? someone hadta say it!)
    Caps I think should put this away in Game 6.
    Just my hunch. They always seem to grab the lead. Stretching it or making it hold up, seems to be their problem.

The Kadri hit was legal but barely. It was no trip.
    But still,the league is trying to dispense with that kind of drop-down hitting. No wonder the Cap players wanted his head.
    Kadri btw later cemented his rep as one of the league's most notorious divers.
    Has he no shame at all?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @timmer, Kadri's got wayyyyy better with the faux diving since Babcock's been there. It used to be that most games he was putting on a class in Theatrics 101. So he has got better.

To tell you the truth, this year is the first year I have warmed to Kadri. He came from the London Knights as a talented scorer. When he joined the Big Club, he had some attitude adjustments to make and discipline issues (as well as health and training).

At the tail end of a season a couple years ago, he was late for a team meeting. Shanahan very publicly suspended him.

And that seemed to be the turn around. He's re-created himself as a pesky two way player who still pots 30 goals and 30 assists in a season. He's an agitator that I would hate to play against.

Re: the Caps: they have a dismal record for closing out elimination games, that's why they picked up Justin Williams (aka Mr Game 7; three Cup rings); but even then, since he joined the Caps, they're only 1-2 elimination games.

I pray, for Leaf Nation, that this holds true tonight. I want my Buds to have at least one more game after tonight.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Jazz007 wrote: »
    I can't describe the disappointment I have in my Minnesota Wild. Ah! I can't look! X_X

As a Hawks fan I can totally relate. And to anyone who thinks I am - I'm not bandwagon. Loyal fan to Chicago/Baltimore sports, good and bad times.

Yeah my wild need some more help or something more
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Its been a really good playoffs so far a lot of close games and tough series
    Time to see if the Senators and Caps can take the win today and advance, or be forced to play a game seven. Hoping the former wins and the latter loses.
    peter wrote: »
    @timmer, Kadri's got wayyyyy better with the faux diving since Babcock's been there. It used to be that most games he was putting on a class in Theatrics 101. So he has got better.

To tell you the truth, this year is the first year I have warmed to Kadri. He came from the London Knights as a talented scorer. When he joined the Big Club, he had some attitude adjustments to make and discipline issues (as well as health and training).

At the tail end of a season a couple years ago, he was late for a team meeting. Shanahan very publicly suspended him.

And that seemed to be the turn around. He's re-created himself as a pesky two way player who still pots 30 goals and 30 assists in a season. He's an agitator that I would hate to play against.

Re: the Caps: they have a dismal record for closing out elimination games, that's why they picked up Justin Williams (aka Mr Game 7; three Cup rings); but even then, since he joined the Caps, they're only 1-2 elimination games.

I pray, for Leaf Nation, that this holds true tonight. I want my Buds to have at least one more game after tonight.

Kadri for sure has developed into a very useful top-six scorer. 32 goals is nothing to sneeze at.
    Babcock knows how to keep him honest.

About time! The Senators just eliminated the Bruins in overtime. Hopefully the first round is finished in its entirety by the end of the night, but at the same time, I'm patient (and hopeful) enough to await Toronto taking the W instead.
  • TheSharkFromJawsTheSharkFromJaws Amity Island Waters
    I think Toronto's taking the W in Game 6. At home, backs against the wall, fans will be nuts, team will be desperate, and Washington is notorious for not being able to win when they need to.

And if they do win and take it to a Game 7, anything can happen.
    Exactly: force that game seven, and everything that came before is irrelevant, as that final 60 minutes will decide it all. I've got a few things to do throughout the evening, but I'm hoping to catch the third period of this game (and, in turn, hope I don't catch a Washington blowout of any sort).
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I have norovirus and a broken toe. No choice but to watch.
  • TheSharkFromJawsTheSharkFromJaws Amity Island Waters
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Exactly: force that game seven, and everything that came before is irrelevant, as that final 60 minutes will decide it all. I've got a few things to do throughout the evening, but I'm hoping to catch the third period of this game (and, in turn, hope I don't catch a Washington blowout of any sort).
    Well, if this game follows the formula of the series, a blowout is probably unlikely.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    10 rookies made their play off debut... all six games ended in one goal, five of them in OT... They did what they could... I congratulate these boys... The Leafs finally have an optimistic future, even in defeat.

Now I hope that the Pens and Sid destroy the Caps (in 5)!!!
    The only result I liked at all about the playoffs so far is Senators over Bruins.
    @peter, I have no worries about the Pens struggling with the Caps; no offense to Toronto, of course, but if the Caps had trouble putting away a team that barely eked into the playoffs, I don't see them coming close to beating the Pens.

Shame they lost last night, but I enjoyed the hell out of that Matthews goal.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    wasn't that goal sweet? He was like a hungry animal when he saw the puck bounce like that, just shot into another gear and roofed it... He's going to be a megastar. Four goals in four games. Forty in his first season!! And he's only nineteen.

Good things to come with this team.

And I think Sid's just too driven. He wants another Cup. Yesterday!
    I think I saw last night that it was the first series for Toronto where five rookies or more scored a goal since 1940.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Shanny has done amazing things in twenty four months!!
    Leafs will be a powerhouse next year and for several years.
    These young stars they have are almost dominant now.
    Austin Matthews, William Nylander, Mitch Marner and Morgan Reilly. That is a very potent core.
    Playing the seasoned Capitals fully developed top-ranked roster to 5 overtime games is quite the feat.
    Caps were just a little better.
    Caps I think will buckle down, soldier on and win the Cup, after surviving this scare.
    Caps will have to go through Penguins, Rangers and Ducks maybe, although Predators and Oilers might surprise.
    Blues and Senators are both looking good too.
    Wide open really, but I think the Caps might be the best of the lot.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Timmer, you may be right... although the Caps should be fearful of Crosby's insane compete level. Two Cups, two Olympic golds and a world cup;

He seems like a ferocious beast who doesn't want to wait for another cup. He wants it now.

I think this will be the nastiest series of this year.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I look forward to all of the series. As great as the first round was, disappointed in no game 7s
    Who do you all think will make the conference finals and, finally, the Stanley Cup finals?