Everyday Drinking

edited February 2012 in General Discussion Posts: 562
everyday-drinking-190.jpg

I just finished reading the book Everyday Drinking by Kingsley Amis and was inspired to start a topic for the drinkers of the board to share their favourite drinks and cocktail recipes.

I'm not usually much of a cocktail man, but I certainly enjoy a good whisky and pint of Guinness when I can. At the moment, I'd have to say that a neat Talisker is my favourite...

Anyone have any favourites to share?

Comments

I've never really tried cocktails.

But I do like a Southern Comfort with Lemonade and a pint or two of Guinness when i'm 'down the pub'.
  • Can't say I have a favorite- though I try to keep an open mind. Whenever I buy a 6 pack of beer I tend to get something different every time!

I do have a whiskey question for anyone who knows: I bought a Johnny Walker (red one) and think it's pretty good for the price. Are the other colors *really* better or just a waste of money?
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 562
    Anything past the Green Label JW isn't worth the money. The Black and Green are rather good though. I used to buy the Black regularly when friends and I used to get together for cigars.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Rum_Wanted.jpg
    Not a bad choice there, @St_George. I'm partial to Sailor Jerry when it comes to rum. Over-proof (92), but smooth.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    A hipflask isn't a hipflask without a tot of rum in it...
  • One time I bought a bottle of Bookers- it came in a wooden box. That was when I was in college and bought it for the hell of it, lol
    Might grab it again sometime
  • nick_007nick_007 Ville Marie
    I just don't enjoy Scotch. It's too much for me.

When it comes to Whisky, my favourite is Canadian Club. Well priced and oh-so smooth. Nothing beats Canadian club - neat. :-)

My friend surprised me with his take on a Vesper on my birthday. It was fantastic.
    He used Tanqueray no.10 as a Gordons substitute. His solution for lack of Kina Lillet was also interesting. I should ask him to write it down on here to share.

I just can't get enough of Gin. On a really hot day this summer I had Hendrick's on ice with soda water and cucumber. It was akin to jumping into a pool of cold water. Incredibly refreshing.

Having said that - I'm not partial to any specific brand of gin. Hendricks is usually out of my price range so I'll take anything. Tanqueray, Bombay Sapphire, etc.. They've all pleased me in one way or another. ;;)
  • This really would of been more appropriate last night

If I think about the title 'Everyday Drinking' I get in my minds eye a picture of maybe some degenerates or bums sitting in bars well, drinking everyday if you will. There's a few around here like that you can't help but notice sometimes. People should realize that liquor does not solve problems, in fact it can sometimes make it damn worse, there's always a few Idiots out on the streets intent on mischief after some intoxicants but most people just go home and sleep it off which is the best way really. I'm not suggesting all alcohol drinkers are vagrants and trouble makers, I was perhaps thinking about past experiences, I realize most are just regular types having one or two after a days work or whatever which is fair enough, it's only when it spirals out of control that it becomes an issue. Had the drinks, got drunk, got the T-shirts from years back but it's something of a past issue now and I've cut back considerably. Any spirits intake these days would be more directed at medicinal purposes above all else
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Every Friday night to celebrate the weekend I enjoy a healthy slug of Jack Daniels. Then I put it back in it's hiding place in case we get visitors.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 192
    My suggestion for a sundowner on a warm summer's eve (so try to remember this in a few months time ;-)):

NEGRONI:
    1/3 of Gin, 1/3 of Martini Rosso, 1/3 of Campari. Stirr, serve in a tumbler on the rocks and add one slice of orange.

It's a very dry aperitif - I don't like the sweet stuff.
    Best when gazing over the hills of Tuscany, where this drink has its origin, btw...
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    A lovely (very old fashioned) sidecar. But darn if I can remember the ingredients: I am pretty sure cognac and brandy ...
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 12,837
    My favourite drinks are: Jack daniels. And almost any type of beer :). And a mate of mine taught how to make a really sweet tasting drink but I've completely forgotten how. I remember it was strong stuff though. I'll have to get him to remind me.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 192
    I do have a whiskey question for anyone who knows: I bought a Johnny Walker (red one) and think it's pretty good for the price. Are the other colors *really* better or just a waste of money?
    Black Label is very good value for money, actually! You will notice, that it's much better than Red Label. It's perfect for every day. And I even often prefer it over much more expensive single malts. If you have that in your house, you always have something decent to offer as well.
    If you would like to stay in the Red Lable price range, I reccomend Famous Grouse.
    2 shots tequilla, lemondade, generous squeeze of lime juice over ice, Lovely!
  • RC7RC7
    Agent005 wrote:
    I'd have to say that a neat Talisker is my favourite...

I am a big fan of Talisker it's a fantastic Whisky. Although it's not such a great idea I do tend to mix drinks depending on my mood. Re. Lager I'll tend to try as many different types as I can, my local does 'Moretti' on draught which is a particular favourite. I'm also keen on an Estonian lager called Viru, although I think the attractiveness of the bottle is probably 50% of the reason I choose to drink it.

In terms of Ale's I adore Pale Ale, Sierra Nevada is probably the greatest in the world and if you're lucky enough to find a pub that delivers it on draught it's incredible.

Current favourites are...

The Duke of Manchester Bloodhound -

e59e4de24aa011e180c9123138016265_7.jpg

Gin, dry and sweet Vermouths, sugar syrup and seasonal berries.

This, I can't get enough of at the moment...

An Ale Cup -

7bcfc9784a9a11e19e4a12313813ffc0_7.jpg

London Ale, Ginger Beer, Ginger Syrup and Cucumber. Admittedly a slightly summery drink but really refreshing.
    The Ale Cup there sounds delicious! I'll have to try that one once the weather warms a bit.

I usually refuse to drink anything sweeter than a gin & tonic, but here's one that I tend to enjoy:

In a highball glass with ice, pour two shots vodka, one shot pomegranate liqueur, and fill the rest with ginger ale.
  • Always make me grin in Royale when Bond at the table orders one with all the fancy ingredients, can't quite remember all what is was, but someone says 'I'll have one of those' and everyone joins in

LeChiffre gets exasperated and says 'anyone want to play Poker now'

Just a scene that made me smile
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 562
    Three measures of Gordon's gin, one of Polish vodka, half a measure of Kina Lillet (Which is actually no longer made. Lillet Blanc will work, though). Shaken very well over ice and strained into a deep champagne goblet, then served with a long, thin slice of lemon peel. ;)
  • Yes, it was something like that. LeChiffre gets in a mild temper etc

I don't think such a thing would of worked with any other Bond come to think of it, although it works this time out with Craig. I couldn't imagine say Moore or Dalton going up to a bar and ordering such a thing. Heh, had a picture in my minds eye of either of those two ordering and say Hugo Drax saying 'anyone want a cucumber sandwich now', or with Dalton, Sanchez saying 'anyone want to talk about why someone would want to kill me now, do you want cream or sugar with that'

I'll let it lie
    I can easily imagine Dalton and Connery ordering that drink. The others, not so much.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    personally I prefer whiskey (Jack Daniels) with Coke or Pepsi. It's actually quite good with ginger ale..jack and ginger what most people call it.

• I'm with Agent005, dark beer, ale, Guinness. Anyone in New York give me a holler, I'll buy a round.
    There's a lot to be said for a good ale, good whisky, a good Vodka Martini. Good drinking generally. Especially with good company...
  • Cheers!
    JR_747 wrote:
    My suggestion for a sundowner on a warm summer's eve (so try to remember this in a few months time ;-)):

NEGRONI:
    1/3 of Gin, 1/3 of Martini Rosso, 1/3 of Campari. Stirr, serve in a tumbler on the rocks and add one slice of orange.

It's a very dry aperitif - I don't like the sweet stuff.
    Best when gazing over the hills of Tuscany, where this drink has its origin, btw...

I've just read "Risico". There Bond orders a Negroni with Gordon's in Rome. I wasn't aware that he ever had one.
    It does sound rather tasty. That's another I'll have to put on my list to try out.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    just sitting down drinking some Honey jack Daniels whiskey on ice......this stuff is so good.
  • This made me laugh:

party-fails-they-unite-to-form-super-drunk-johnny-walker-childhood.jpg
    Best whiskey Green Spot.

Like New York Whiskey Sours.

Currently having an SPA in a pub called Steele's.