No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I figured, but I know he's an Archivo member. Perhaps he knows more about it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    octofinger wrote: »
    The whole Craig era has been building to a moment where a final Bond story could be told that would effectively wrap up this man's story like EON have never attempted before, whether it's with him settling down or, as I find more likely, discovering that the calm is not for him as he returns to his position at MI6 until they force him out, living his remaining days as the man he was destined to be.

Well, this is an interesting thought. When I think of "the man he's destined to be," my first thought is 'alone.' After years of ending the movies with Bond rolling up with a new woman, a fresh take could effective.

Maybe B25 ends with Bond driving/riding/sailing/walking off into the sunset . . . alone. That could be a nice image to end on.

@octofinger, I've discussed this before, but this is how I would like to see Bond 25 go (explained briefly):

The film would start with Bond living quietly with Madeleine, but it would be obvious that he is bored out of his mind and is going through adrenaline withdrawal. He sits and stares at paint drying, missing the feeling of danger and duty that gave his life some kind of path. An event will happen to draw him out of retirement (possibly Blofeld/SPECTRE related) that he will use as an excuse to return to MI6 and his old team, while acting like he doesn't want to do it when speaking with Madeleine, who he might not want to disappoint since she invested so much in helping him leave the agency behind.

The film would reach a climax and Bond would defeat the threat, possibly killing Blofeld and essentially tying off the nasty man and organization that had caused him and the people he cared for so much harm for many years. I would like to see a minor and quietly played scene with Bond visiting Vesper's grave in London, saying a simple, "I got the people that hurt you" or something similar as her theme quietly plays, recalling Bond's never forgotten desire to find her justice way back during CR.

This moment would then carry into the final scene of the film, which would be fixed on the bridge leading to the old MI6 building, which would be rebuilt with a new shining purpose, just as Bond had been in symbolically finding his true purpose again. In a closing dialogue he would meet Madeleine on the bridge (who before this point had been in hiding and written out of the main action of the film) to explain himself to her. He would thank her for the meaning and choice she tried to give him to pursue a quiet life away from the danger and bullets of a spy, but would state that a life of retirement and peace was never a possibility for a man like him. He wanted to think that such a life was for him, the same lie he told himself with Vesper and the "honest" living he'd planned, but ultimately realizes that he was born for a storm and a calm doesn't suit him. He felt like he had no choice in being the man he was at MI6, but in a moment of revelation realized it was always his choice. He was meant to be an agent and to protect people who can't protect themselves, a true knight of the realm until the end.

He gives a nice and respectful goodbye to Madeleine to allow her to live her own life, and resigns himself to being an agent until he is no longer able to do the work anymore. But until that point, it's his life and he's done questioning another purpose for it. As with Fleming's Bond at the end of TMWTGG, he is resigned to his fate and is ready to pursue life unrestrained. The last shot we get before credits roll would be Bond walking across Vauxhall bridge towards the rebuilt MI6 as Madeleine goes the other direction, looking behind her for a moment as she spots his ever decreasing form return across the bridge to destiny. Her face would be a mix of emotions, from worry to care, but we would be able to see her think, "this is what he needs." I think it'd be powerful final image to see, as Bond would essentially be heading towards the path he tried to avoid going down at the end of SP on another bridge, combining and visually linking the thematic nature of the previous film and the new journey he is now beginning. He is now fully aware of the man he has always been destined to be, and is ready to live that life without compromise through that existential clarity. We watch Bond disappear in the bend of the road, the perspective of the camera making it seem like he's sinking into the bridge itself. Cut to black, roll credits.

I know it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but this would be a perfect ending to me. I just need to avoid getting too attached to how I want it to end, as I am setting myself up for disappointment when EON may not have the same vision.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    The timing of this is somewhat coincidental, coming on the same day that the distribution discussion breaks. Anyway, let's see.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 You and I have the exact same vision for what we want to see on B25. I loved every detail of what you wrote.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Very interesting. If this is true, they must have a plan to start shooting soon after the deal is done.

I'd hope so. If contracts are being signed this week maybe this script is far enough along a writer's strike won't be much of an issue?
    Even if Purvis and Wade have been on-board for more time than we'd have thought, I highly doubt that the script is far enough for filming to begin until late this year at the earliest.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited April 2017 Posts: 16,328
    Maybe they're going with the rejected back to back idea Logan was supposed to come up with.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

You're fashionably late!
    Creasy47 wrote: »

You're fashionably late!

I was going to say sorry if this has been posted as there were 600 comments since I last looked on this thread, though got distracted... I'll get my coat

You're fashionably late!

I was going to say sorry if this has been posted as there were 600 comments since I last looked on this thread, though got distracted... I'll get my coat
    No worries at all. You can always visit the first page to see what you have missed while you were away.
  • At least there's Bond 25 news to talk about.
    jake24 wrote: »

You're fashionably late!

No worries at all. You can always visit the first page to see what you have missed while you were away.

I forgot you set that up cheers, very handy to see what's new.
    At least there's Bond 25 news to talk about.
    2017 has been more eventful than the entirety of 2016 in that sense.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

You're fashionably late!

Just messing with you, no need to apologize! It's sort of overwhelming, not only having something 'Bond 25' related to discuss, but numerous bits of news and rumors regarding the film in a matter of a day. Very refreshing.
    Sony probably has the edge, given its familiarity with the franchise, although a lot of the players have changed. I expect that they would be most interested in having Craig back for a continuation story.

Annapurna would be interesting, especially for a character driven distribution 'one off' and for a Craig swansong. If Megan Ellison can deliver BFF Chastain and Bigelow as director, it would make for a very intriguing film indeed. I'll admit that it's unlikely though.

Universal or Warner would be a nice change, and they both know how to handle a tentpole franchise, but I am concerned about 'crossover' (Bond vs. Batman or worse yet, Bond taking on Dom Toretto).
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Sony probably has the edge, given its familiarity with the franchise, although a lot of the players have changed. I expect that they would be most interested in having Craig back for a continuation story.

Annapurna would be interesting, especially for a character driven distribution 'one off' and for a Craig swansong. If Megan Ellison can deliver BFF Chastain and Bigelow as director, it would make for a very intriguing film indeed. I'll admit that it's unlikely though.

Universal or Warner would be a nice change, and they both know how to handle a tentpole franchise, but I am concerned about 'crossover' (Bond vs. Batman or worse yet, Bond taking on Dom Toretto).

If you're not jesting, I think there's no way EON would agree to those terms.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Indeed I was jesting. I have no doubt however that there is a risk of future spin offs when the multi-year distribution deal is hatched down the road, and if it's with WB, at least the risk of a LEGO Bond film. If MGM sells itself to a powerhouse post-B25, then I can see quite a few changes in time.

EDIT: Another reason I see Sony as the most likely candidate is they need this badly right now. WB has enough on its plate and Universal has its hands full as well. I can't see them giving Bond the attention Sony did.
    Indeed I was jesting. I have no doubt however that there is a risk of future spin offs when the multi-year distribution deal is hatched down the road, and if it's with WB, at least the risk of a LEGO Bond film. If MGM sells itself to a powerhouse post-B25, then I can see quite a few changes in time.

I think we have more worry on the spin-off front with Sony. They are the ones that are pushing such films in the droves, and used an entire Spider-Man film just to set up several of them (thankfully it failed). They still plan to do a load of spin-offs for their properties, however, and they're not films I or anyone else would want to see. Their lack of awareness for their audience distresses me.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Yes, and yet they (Sony) are the frontrunner (as per my edited post above) imho. It's a question of them needing Bond more than any of the others.

Annapurna is a wildcard though and could really deliver some interesting films on a lower budget. I just don't see it happening.
    Yes, and yet they (Sony) are the frontrunner (as per my edited post above) imho. It's a question of them needing Bond more than any of the others.

Yes, there's no doubt about that. They have the best hand, so to speak.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

EDIT: Another reason I see Sony as the most likely candidate is they need this badly right now. WB has enough on its plate and Universal has its hands full as well. I can't see them giving Bond the attention Sony did.

You know, I actually wouldn't completely hate a LEGO Bond movie. It would be neat to see a humorous Bond parody that actually has Bond as a character in it, that isn't the atrocity that is CR '67.

You know, I actually wouldn't completely hate a LEGO Bond movie. It would be neat to see a humorous Bond parody that actually has Bond as a character in it, that isn't the atrocity that is CR '67.
    I'll admit I've never seen any of these LEGO flicks, but they intrigue me. I may check out the Batman one soon with my nephews.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 3,000

I'll admit I've never seen any of these LEGO flicks, but they intrigue me. I may check out the Batman one soon with my nephews.

My feelings as well. This has really got my wheels turning thinking about the possibilities. The actor to play Bond in the EON series wouldn't have to be the actor to do the voiceover for LEGO Bond, which could allow for some interesting opportunities. Pierce Brosnan returns as Lego Bond! :D
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 2,005

Something that I wouldn't mind also was that if WB does acquire a deal with MGM and EON that maybe we could see proper animated R rated adaptations of Flemings Novels, and have them stick close to the books. WB Animation has recently sort of been trending that ground a bit with their DC based features. If EON/Bond does fall into WB's hands, this would certainly be welcoming in my opinion. They could release one every year to keep the franchise afloat with the current amount of time it takes to get a Bond film to the big screen. A live action Bond and Animated Bond running at the same time would be pretty interesting in my book.

Something that I wouldn't mind also was that if WB does acquire a deal with MGM and EON that maybe we could see proper animated R rated adaptations of Flemings Novels, and have them stick close to the books. WB Animation has recently sort of been trending that ground a bit with their DC based features. If EON/Bond does fall into WB's hands, this would certainly be welcoming in my opinion.

Interesting. That would certainly please the Fleming purists. I wouldn't watch, but they would likely be quite happy.
    I'd much rather see a series of LEGO Bond games that brought to life the 60s films in fun adventures where you could play as any of the 6 Bonds through multiple LEGO character models. You could have one person doing just the main voice, like Toby Stephens, who would be a great smarmy Bond. I dunno, I just like the thought of playing as Connery's Bond smashing a bunch of items to pieces to collect coins through a small open world Istanbul, or punching a miniature of Grant until his hearts are all gone on the Orient Express.
  • bondjames wrote: »

Something that I wouldn't mind also was that if WB does acquire a deal with MGM and EON that maybe we could see proper animated R rated adaptations of Flemings Novels, and have them stick close to the books. WB Animation has recently sort of been trending that ground a bit with their DC based features. If EON/Bond does fall into WB's hands, this would certainly be welcoming in my opinion.

Interesting. That would certainly please the Fleming purists. I wouldn't watch, but they would likely be quite happy.

Exactly, deep down who doesn't want to see stories like Moonraker and YOLT properly adapted and faithful in ways the actual films weren't.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 3,000
    I'd much rather see a series of LEGO Bond games that brought to life the 60s films in fun adventures where you could play as any of the 6 Bonds through multiple LEGO character models. You could have one person doing just the main voice, like Toby Stephens, who would be a great smarmy Bond. I dunno, I just like the thought of playing as Connery's Bond smashing a bunch of items to pieces to collect coins through a small open world Istanbul, or punching a miniature of Grant until his hearts are all gone on the Orient Express.

The thought of the games had also occurred to me. It would be nice, so long as the LEGO games existed along side regular Bond games.

Exactly, deep down who doesn't want to see stories like Moonraker and YOLT properly adapted and faithful in ways the actual films weren't.

Fleming does deserve some faithful adaptations.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

Agreed. These adaptations are almost certainly coming but it is a question of when.