Well here comes the UK General Election!

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    vzok wrote: »
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Masterstroke by the PM, have to say I agreed whole heartedly with her reasons to call an election. Bluff called on Labour, Lib Dems, and the SNP.

She isn't exactly facing a clash of the titans.

Oh I am aware of that, just with all the bluster from the other parties stirring the pot with regards to the Brexit process have now gotta step up!

Time to put up or shut up as John Major would have put it.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    A weak Labour ready to be annihilated! Happy days!
    suavejmf wrote: »

Great news, I know.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    suavejmf wrote: »

Yeah, it's great!
  • gumboltgumbolt Now with in-office photocopier
    The annihilation of the Labour party would not be good, even for the Tories. A healthy opposition keeps a party together and focused. We need balance and debate. I fear the only debate will be internal to both parties for the next few years at least. This is actually great news for the SNP - which is bad news for Britain. By the way, my political loyalties are with the moderate wing of the Conservatives, but that moderate wing needs to be able to fight off the less tolerant aspects of Conservatism by reference to the alternative of a credible Labour government.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 7,974
    gumbolt wrote: »
    The annihilation of the Labour party would not be good, even for the Tories. A healthy opposition keeps a party together and focused. We need balance and debate. I fear the only debate will be internal to both parties for the next few years at least. This is actually great news for the SNP - which is bad news for Britain. By the way, my political loyalties are with the moderate wing of the Conservatives, but that moderate wing needs to be able to fight off the less tolerant aspects of Conservatism by reference to the alternative of a credible Labour government.

An opposition is fine, just not THAT opposition.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I think this will unleash the great and Powerful Tim Farron :D
    I think this will unleash the great and Powerful Tim Farron :D

He'll get sucked in so far he'll get blown out the other side!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I wish someone like May was in charge of Europe (Germany).
    I don't. I never appreciated Merkel as much as I do now, as a result of her handling of both the Greek Euro and refugee "crises" (I'd rather term both as administrative challenges for the richest union on the planet), and may, for the first time ever, vote for her in autumn. She'll be with us for another four years, and I'll be grateful for that.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    For some time I have been thinking what Mrs May came out and said today.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/03/theresa-may-accuses-eu-trying-influence-general-election-brexit/
    Another option, maybe the EU hasn't thought of ........ We can always stay in the EU and by using the Veto. Really screw up the workings !
    I wouldnt mess with our PM or country at the moment....
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    stag wrote: »
    For some time I have been thinking what Mrs May came out and said today.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/03/theresa-may-accuses-eu-trying-influence-general-election-brexit/
    It's not surprising. Forget the Russkies, these are the real meddlers.

Then there's this joker looking to get back in the game:
    http://www.voltairenet.org/article196220.html
    I wouldnt mess with our PM or my country at the moment....
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Oh dear MI6 so right wing.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Oh dear MI6 so right wing.

No...independant...as we used to be.
    So anyone who disagrees with the EU is " Right wing " ? That's bound to
    Upset the very many left wingers who also want out of the EU.
  • Jeremy Corbyn isn't too keen on MI6 (or MI5 for that matter). As always, his thinking appears to be rather muddled, but he certainly seemed to intimate in his conference speech of last year that he wanted to decimate MI6 and has called to disband MI5.

Not sure about his views of the other major parties, but it is unlikely that the current Labour regime would meet the approval of Bond.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

• MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Beat me to it Major well played.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The post by @Thunderpussy put the thought in my head. As nice as it would be to stay in and bring it down from within, the view would be better outside.
    If they want to play hard ball, we could bring the whole system down round them !
    I would not be surprised that after May wins with a landslide she'll change her tune and will unopposed change course on the Brexit negotiations and go for a far softer Brexit as she is promising currently. She is not blind to economic realities but is definitely in the driver seat to reshape England future.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I expect both parties to Brexit to defend their rights and claims as they should. That's what negotiations are for, regardless of my own view of the Brexit decision. And just like we are friends with other non-EU countries, why shouldn't we have friendly relations with the Brits after they are out.

That being said, everybody forget about getting special favours, possibly putting Britain in a better position than continuing EU member states or even those EFTA/EEA members and Switzerland who already have arrangements. That will not happen. So there is no way that the UK will get the kind of sweetheart deal that the Brexit propagandists have been foretelling. It's going to be much worse -- which does not mean that Britain is not going to make it alone, but not at the cost of the 27 others.
    Game on officially then!
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    So anyone who disagrees with the EU is " Right wing " ? That's bound to
    Upset the very many left wingers who also want out of the EU.

For those here who are left wingers I apologise although from rhetoric I'm hearing it's not many but anyone cheering for the Tories or even worse UKIP you are truly right wingers.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    I would not be surprised that after May wins with a landslide she'll change her tune and will unopposed change course on the Brexit negotiations and go for a far softer Brexit as she is promising currently. She is not blind to economic realities but is definitely in the driver seat to reshape England future.

No ..she wont.
    Labour and UKIP collapse in these latest local elections, as expected. I'm amazed by how the Conservatives have been able to gather support from both sides. If Theresa May is able to unite the country like this, imagine the position she will be in to negotiate a Brexit deal. Once the illusion that she is sending the country to the dogs is dispelled, the Europeans won't have a leg to stand on!
    Yep,11 new spots in Scotland...PM May is doing exceptional once more....