Bond movie ranking (Simple list, no details)

Comments

• suavejmf wrote: »
    @Benny
    What a perfect top 10! 8 out of 10 the same as I by the way.

Nah. GE in the top 10. Madness.

I agree. It clearly belongs into the Top 5 :lol:

Seconded!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Are we talking about GE here? Definitely top 10 in my view, and I'm seriously thinking of moving it up a couple of notches when I do my next ranking. Fine film.
    Goldeneye is a very fun Bond film, in my top 10 aswell.
    Love GE. Always will. Top 10 Bond for sure in my rankings - usually at #5. It's been so long since I've seen a Bond film; might need to do that again soon.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It's always been my #1. It's reinforced too. Nothing's come close to removing it from it's hinges.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    GE was my No 1 for 20 years and then Spectre arrived.
    Now it's OHMSS. Go figure :lol:
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Always top 10 for me as well.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Murdock wrote: »
    It's always been my #1. It's reinforced too. Nothing's come close to removing it from it's hinges.

Right there with you. It'll always be #1, never going anywhere.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    GE deserves all the praise that it gets and then some. I'd be shocked if it ever left my top ten.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I don’t think Goldeneye breaks any new ground (apart from the worst score of the series). It updates the formula, tweaks the rules, but ultimately it plays by both. The concept of Bond isn’t stretched in any way. Just reinvigorated. Which, really, is all the film wanted. After six years off, this wasn’t the time to forge a brave new world but rather prove the old one wasn’t lost for good. So they produced a safe, average Bond film.
  • GBFGBF
    suavejmf wrote: »
    I don’t think Goldeneye breaks any new ground (apart from the worst score of the series). It updates the formula, tweaks the rules, but ultimately it plays by both. The concept of Bond isn’t stretched in any way. Just reinvigorated. Which, really, is all the film wanted. After six years off, this wasn’t the time to forge a brave new world but rather prove the old one wasn’t lost for good. So they produced a safe, average Bond film.

Well they brought Bond into the post Cold War era and this was quite a big task since the Cold War was the dominant sub plot of the previous 30 years. Before Goldeneaye was released, I actually thought that James Bond was dead because of the collapse of the Soviet Union and the end of the Cold war. Goldeneaye also followed the more personal involvement of Bond and mi6 members in the franchise which started with LTK and is now very characteristic for the modern Bond era.

Besides there are plenty of new elements:

1. Having a former 00 agent as the main villain
    2. Russia as a main location was new (as was filming behind the iron curtain)
    3. The introduction of a female M
    4. modern type of Title Sequences by Kleinman which have been a breath of fresh of air after the unisnpired attepts of Binder in the 80s.

• edited April 2017 Posts: 2,006
    I know people are allowed to have their own opinions and all, but if baffles me whenever somebody doesn't have Goldeneye in their top 10 rankings. The film is ultimately what kicked off the Modern Bond era, and it did so with a bang. You can make the case for why the rest of the Brosnan era wasn't so great, but Goldeneye is one of the finest films that EON made. It has such energy that hasn't been seen in the series since TSWLM. It brought us 4 of the best villains/henchmen that this series has ever seen. It's sets (while not being on the level of Ken Adams) are amazing, and it's action set pieces are spectacular as well. Add some elements from the novel Moonraker that didn't make it into that actual movie, and you have your bits of Fleming in there as well. It's just a perfect Bond film, it sits at #5 in my rankings, below Connery's first three and OHMSS.
    GE is sitting at #8 on my list at the moment ,just below SF and above TWINE.
    @007ClassicBondFan

DN FRWL GF OHMSS GE in your Top 5 and mentioning TSWLM.
    I applaud you Sir.

GF-OHMSS-TSWLM-GE-CR

"Tastes differ" and "imho" aside I think those five should and probably are viewed in general as the true greats by any fan who can think objectively.
  • @007ClassicBondFan

DN FRWL GF OHMSS GE in your Top 5 and mentioning TSWLM.
    I applaud you Sir.

GF-OHMSS-TSWLM-GE-CR

"Tastes differ" and "imho" aside I think those five should and probably are viewed in general as the true greats by any fan who can think objectively.

That's a very good top 5 ranking. A sort of best of each actor if you will minus Dalton. TSWLM sits at #6 in my rankings, and CR below that.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 9,020
    Actually to be correct, Dalton is in my Top 6 as well with TLD :) @007ClassicBondFan
  • Actually to be correct, Dalton is in my Top 6 as well with TLD :) @007ClassicBondFan

TLD sits at #8 for me. It's a superb film, and my favorite of Dalton's two.
    I don’t think Goldeneye breaks any new ground (apart from the worst score of the series).

Have you not heard any of Newman's efforts? Serra wipes the floor with him.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I think that title would have to go to Conti's effort.
    Sierra's score is very important. A part of GE and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Sure, some tracks sound like cans thrown down an empty lift shaft but for the most part it's great.

The GoldenEye Overture, I'm almost sorry to say, rivals Barry's best work.
    The GoldenEye overture is a thing of beauty. :)
    GBF wrote: »

Well they brought Bond into the post Cold War era and this was quite a big task since the Cold War was the dominant sub plot of the previous 30 years. Before Goldeneaye was released, I actually thought that James Bond was dead because of the collapse of the Soviet Union and the end of the Cold war. Goldeneaye also followed the more personal involvement of Bond and mi6 members in the franchise which started with LTK and is now very characteristic for the modern Bond era.

Besides there are plenty of new elements:

1. Having a former 00 agent as the main villain
    2. Russia as a main location was new (as was filming behind the iron curtain)
    3. The introduction of a female M
    4. modern type of Title Sequences by Kleinman which have been a breath of fresh of air after the unisnpired attepts of Binder in the 80s.

1. A tweak. 2. Ok fair enough...but most of the films have new locations. 3. I don't see this as plus. Bernard Lee was much better. Again a tweak. 4. I much prefer Binders titles. Computerized CGI ruins the art form. I must say Kleinmans titles for the Craig era are good though. But he's no Binder.
    I don’t think Goldeneye breaks any new ground (apart from the worst score of the series).

Have you not heard any of Newman's efforts? Serra wipes the floor with him.

No chance. MGW and Barbara B disliked his score too. He wants shooting for 'Ladies First' and his original 'A pleasant drive in St Petersburg' scoring. Not to mention 'The experience of Love'. So unbondian.
    I wonder how they felt about Newman's garbage.
    Not as bad given he was asked back I presume. Bring back David Arnold though.

I guess we'll see come 'Bond 25' when they hire him or go for someone fresh and new instead (or, Arnold returns, which I'll gladly take).
    Not as bad given he was asked back I presume. Bring back David Arnold though.

Serra was asked back too. He turned it down.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I guess we'll see come 'Bond 25' when they hire him or go for someone fresh and new instead (or, Arnold returns, which I'll gladly take).

Hopefully he'll be gone with Mendes. I'd take Arnold over him in a heartbeat. I'm sick of Bond music being generic and crap these days.
    I go back and hear some Barry tracks with the older films I watch, and it makes Newman's work sound worse, somehow. Would enjoy getting some cracking tracks that are memorable and fitting for what unfolds on screen - something I'll whistle and have stuck in my head for a long time after watching the movie.
    Agreed. That's how Bond music should be. Stuff I can put on a CD and drive along to as well. I wish I could find a version of Skyfall and Spectre without a music track so I can do a full length rescore of both.
    Agreed. That's how Bond music should be. Stuff I can put on a CD and drive along to as well. I wish I could find a version of Skyfall and Spectre without a music track so I can do a full length rescore of both.

Let me know if that day ever comes. However, despite all the bad and easily forgettable tracks Newman created, that 'Skyfall' track that plays when Bond and M drive through Scotland is Top 3 Non-Barry tracks in the series for me.